Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zorodius posted:

yeah, WC3 isn't just dated, it's so lo-fi that it's impossible to tell what the hell's going on sometimes

It's chaotic because this is a team game but I can figure out most of what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
does anyone have a lot of trouble playing this in windows 10. it wont let me run updater without a CD in slot which by some miracle i actually have. somewhere. I do not know where anymore.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

schmitty9800 posted:

The last unique Blizzard game was Lost Vikings (or I guess Diablo 1 maybe counts)

Warcraft is Dune/C&C with Warhammer themes
StarCraft is Warcraft with WH40K themes
WOW is Everquest with Warcraft themes
HOTS is DOTA with their own characters
Hearthstone is Magic with Warcraft themes
Overwatch is TF2 with LGBTQ characters

Don't know about Dune instead I used to play the old C&Cs but other than being RTS games I would consider them pretty different.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

emdash posted:

the balance changes for those who care:

Holy poo poo

e:I think I'm just shocked because I don't keep up with updates enough to remember so many changes all at once.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 4, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Is there a singular WC3 wiki? You can find stuff on wow-merged pedia and just eh.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Fanatic posted:

Patch 1.29 is now live! But... it's broken for me and most other people and Blizzard have said that they're working on a hot fix.

Full list of changes: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20762137149?page=1

I was watching the recently posted AKM twitch and somebody said the DH sucks now on account of the mana burn nerf. But I definitely don't see one.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Make WC4 in the vein of what they were planning with WC3 in early development. If done well, I'd kinda like to see how a competitive scene of the sort would go.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Strategy and tactics games become competitive thanks mainly to diligent balance patches.

Shibawanko posted:

I used to love RTS but ever since it became all about measuring yourself against some impossible bespectacled Korean standard of incredibly twitchy play i completely lost interest. RTS is supposed to be a chill genre that you can play and feel good about yourself, it's lost that long ago. I want to play against a goofy AI opponent that I can set elaborate traps for, not an insane human being.

There's such a thing as casual play. For a long time in WC3's run it was extremely common.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What level were your heroes.

How would you go about testing to see if the AI has all view

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What possible spawns are there for 2v2 on Turtle rock? Left v Right for sure but are the top spawns ever pitted against bottom spawns? Or some diagonal arrangement?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wow that was fast. Yeah I meant having an enemy at close spawn for both sides.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Nail Rat posted:

I microwaved a lot of pizza rolls when I played WC3 in college back in 2001 I'll have you know.

Wow that's a neat trick or a nice time machine

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Poil posted:

I suppose they'll need to size up her model as well.

I was playing the campaign last night and if you're talking about the profile picture they're sized up enough. Titties start about chin level.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

dr.acula posted:

I'm personally fond of the potion of invincibility + goblin land mine spam strat for that mission.

Goblin land mines were a close contender for my favorite cheese ever in the game

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Does the CL seem a little weak to anyone else or is it just me? He's ok as a third rounding out your nuke in a tri-hero situation but he seems disproportionately meh in the early game. Beetles in particular are disappointing. His model is also huge and gets stuck on everything

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Skuzal posted:

On Grubbys stream at blizzcon he had asked a dev if there was a way to keep the old voices in for people that prefer them over the new ones and the dev responded with there being an option to use old voices over the new ones.

Grubby just doesn't want to have to learn new impressions

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Old gyro loving owned.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

BlazetheInferno posted:

I'm honestly more upset about the Gyrocoper's STATS getting nerfed to become the Flying Machine than I am about the model/name change.

Gyrocopers were goddamn strong.

One of my earliest accounts was Dwarf from above and I'd mass them with bombs. Especially fun at stratholme. God I loved early wc3.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2zOx0nhFDo

When does Grubby kill the ogre at his north 10:30 green camp? He uses skele stick at 3:29 but I never saw him camera over that camp.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hahaha oh my god I watched it like 5 times and couldn't figure out what the hell happened

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah it just slipped my mind. I had an open on TR where I was very aggressive with that strat and often stole the ogre items from theirs first thing as well.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Chopstix posted:

Surprising fact about AKM; very not Korean

Hahaha I literally found this out watching a stream of his the other day.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

So I tried to hop onto Bnet for the first time in years and definitely the first time on this machine. It makes me download it and restart. All's well at this point. Then it has like some updater that pops up and takes about an hour. Fine. Has options for repair and launch. Finish that and start the game from the updater and cannot play it in widescreen. Two huge black lines about 2-2.5 inches on the sides. Friend didn't make it to Bnet so I closed the game. On a whim, tried to start it from start menu, see if the black bars issue would resolve itself and got a system error, stating that "The code execution cannot proceed because mss32.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem." I don't even think I have the cd key any more lmao

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

See also Pally harassing UD

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The march of imbalance was hilarious to both watch and play and all sorts of strats had their time to shine. Before it had ice attack the halls of the dead and black citadel were basically super spirit towers and did like 60 dps or something insane

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Flayer posted:

tier3 Ghouls which were absurdly fast and had huge DPS allowing UD to easily trap and nuke enemy hero's.

My favorite was forest walking ghouls

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The best thing about old Warcraft 3 was almost everything had its moment in the sun as far as imbalance was concerned.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Flayer posted:

It was kinda the opposite. Hero choice was pretty much solved in each match-up - the only real big change in the meta I remember was NE going full on Ancient abuse by the time Frozen Throne was coming out. It got quite ridiculous with whole armies of AoWs. Most of the important meta changes were based around creeping patterns.

Every time a patch came out and nerfed something they'd buff something else and it'd take over until the next patch. And yeah ancients were overpowered as hell.

e: my favorite imba strat was quick creeping for land mines

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 17, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Mata posted:

They disabled arranged team, just a matter of time until they disable solo and RT matchmaking. Then cancel WC3R due to lack of activity on the ladder. Spend 500 gems to upgrade your stronghold instantly in Warcraft Immortal!

What? Why?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

They'll get primo talent for the bonus quotes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

This seems like a ridiculously open ended and impossible to objectively answer question but what is the most difficult feat of micromanagement in ladder play? I mean sometimes you'll be watching a replay and see something ridiculous and you'll be like wow I could never do that in 100 years but what is the epitome of that

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

Direct comparisons:

What are these goofy giant collar guards called? I vaguely recall someone mentioning them somewhere but I can't remember where

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

This is probably a weird question but back when DotA was still the big game but not the only game in custom lobby, wasn't there a DotA variant? I think it was on an snowy map or something. I don't remember much about it (whatever it was) and my quick search for dota on a map site returned over 1000 versions, presumably balance tweak variations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Gildiss posted:

Tides of Blood was a big one, that was in a tropical area though.

I no joke like Tides of Blood the most of any of the Mobas I played. Unless you count FMVH, a game that nobody except a banned poster on the first page remembers.

I think, by the way that this map I'm asking about was just after Dota got big and they might have tried to... expand it and have a sort of franchise. Dota presents, a Icefrog production sort of thing. I don't remember it being good though lmao

Drakyn posted:

Like everyone else said, there were a lot of 'dotas' before allstars became synonymous with it. I recall playing a version with my friend a few times whose map was circular, with the two main creep lanes running around the edges and converging at 7 and 2 o'clock, and it was snowy. Forget what its dota branding was though, sorry.

Ahhhh, this is sounding pretty close.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Mandalay posted:

i'm just now catching up on this thread, is there an age of empires 2: definitive edition thread? I don't see one using the search function

Omg if you make one I'm there. There is an HD thread many pages back but I think the DE deserves its own. I posted in the strategy thread that I consider it the gold standard of remasterings. I then compared it to reforged because from what I gather that was a big swing and a miss

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

I remember being really bad at Tides of Blood

Were you good at dota? ToB had a real similar skill set but a much broader scope it seemed. If you were bad at managing your hero you could still save your money and instead build creep towers that would spawn additional lane creeps iirc. It was a great way to initiate a push, by having additional creeps show up unannounced at the enemy tower.

Man I loving love tides of blood.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 26, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Half of Dracula posted:

Wasn't the guy from Dune a playable hero in that? Man custom maps were a riot back in the day

Yeah and he was pretty good too.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

did any mobas even attempt to deviate from the 3 lane, corner bases format?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

PaybackJack posted:

Blizzard looks pretty good stock wise. Going by the stock it would be pretty safe to say that all the controversy surrounding the release of the game caused no effect. Not that it should really. Anyone investing in Blizzard is waiting for that Diablo 4 money to start rolling in. I'd say that's going to be the thing that really makes or breaks the company at this point. Overwatch 2 has a ton of competition, as does Hearthstone now. Diablo and Starcraft are their only big franchises left and I think unless they make a Starcraft non-rts then Starcraft won't be doing much either. WoW is still going along but I think Shadowlands will only bring in so much.

If they gently caress up Diablo 4 then it's probably alright to pronounce them dead, barring them inventing another new title that manages to capture the minds of the youth as Overwatch did for a period.

All I'm hearing is time for SC ghost and Lord of the Clans to shine

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Comrayn posted:

Command and conquer remaster out soon.

If they do one for RA2/YR I'll need new pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Dota will survive the heat death of the universe I think.

Anyway, what were WC3 numbers like back in its peak? I remember logging onto bnet and seeing xxxxxx number of players playing xxxx of games (across all bnet games) but if I had to put an actual number to those I'd probably embarrass myself. The scene was certainly impressive though. It was definitely in the tens of thousands but I'm trying to recall if it ever peaked 100k