Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

ZeusJupitar posted:

Was War 3's skirmish mode always this hard? I decided to give it a go (1v1 Orc vs Human against a normal AI on Booty Bay) and simply got stomped by superior numbers. Then the same thing happened against an easy AI (Undead Vs Human). I was building up as fast as humanly possible and don't see how anyone could match the computer's numbers.

You'll be able to with an optimized build order. Download a replay from here http://www.wcreplays.com/page.php?section=replays and take a look at what they build and when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

evilmiera posted:

Yeah I got the feeling from playing all that time ago that they wanted you making varied and balanced groups with special abilities to take on specific threats so the most balanced army would win. What mostly ended up happening was people found the most spammable unit of each race, set them up with an appropriate hero and then bowled over the competition. It explains how mobas became a thing I guess.

Footmen frenzy style games arose because people didn't want to macro, then MOBAs arose because people wanted to micro one unit instead of a full army. You're remembering the days of old mass caster/mass hunts which were usually patched out.

Recently, mass talons dominated the NEvO meta but a lot of Orcs figured it out without a patch.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Milky Moor posted:

I personally don't think Blizzard wanted BW and SC2 to co-exist and such a thing is a hideous indictment of SC2s failure but, hey.

I think Blizzard just assumed that everyone would completely drop Brood War and pick up SC2 right away which just didn't happen.

Both games have incredibly high skill caps but BW to most fans always was a more tactically interesting game that would play out in more varied ways. I find SC2 more appealing just because I never played BW but I understand the criticism. I think LotV made good steps in making the economy much more straightforward, it enables 3-5 minute timings that can just end games quickly with interesting micro. (my thoughts on just picking it up again briefly. One of the reasons I had quit was because most games ended up being a race to 200/200 with remax)

schmitty9800 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 18, 2016

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

ToD is putting on a crowdfunded WC3 tournament. You don't even need to pay to contribute, you can contribute $1 to the prize pool just by linking your Twitch account and putting in "TING" for a promo code. Interesting stretch goals, if the pool reaches $4K Lyn join, at $5K Th000 Infi and Fly will join, and at $6K Moon will join.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRF749cMXhs
https://matcherino.com/b/tournaments/3493

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Ths games netcode was godawful and b.net natively forces 120ms or so, that would be more valuable than any graphical overhaul.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Elephunk posted:

They've already patched out this delay, a couple months ago.

Latency is just like w3arena in ladder games now.

Oh nice, haven't tried in a while.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

OhFunny posted:

Yeah. It used to be 250ms and they've got it down to ~100ms. They said they working on getting it lower.

Just played my first on Azeroth in a while and during the pivotal fight it spiked massively and messed up my destroyer chain morph and my DK went 100-0 to lusted blademaster/hex

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Poil posted:

I hate the hex+blademaster combo. Poof your hero is now super slow and can't use any spells or abilities and now there's a superhigh dps hero who ran invisible through everything and is now going crit, crit, crit, crit aaaand your hero is dead lol. :rant:

Hex is so good, I don't think any other disable lasts that long (except sleep which you can just attack out of). If Blizzard was still patching this game they should have given better ways to get dispel early for all races. Some games I watch hinge on who gets that troll priest and/or who's able to kill it off.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Mahatma-Squid posted:

There still is a pro scene, and all 4 races have been considered the strongest within the last year or so despite no balance/map pool changes just due to changing meta and especially a few new undeads coming on the scene, so it's probably a lot better balanced than you think it is.

WC3 is balanced when you're talking about getting pretty even racial balance on a certain set of map pools, but it is unbalanced insofar as each race has limited choices of heroes/units in any given matchup if you want to maximize your chances of winning. I think that they went to the drawing board to evaluate changes for a future large balance patch. They didn't touch the map pool which would have been the quickest possible multiplayer change. (most of the top players are on alternate servers with updated map pools anyways)

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

uploading WC3 replay in 2018

https://www.wcreplays.com/replay.php?m=View&rid=107866

Here's me vs. a 93rd rank Orc spammer and BMer (this is from b.net so it's 1.28)

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

grimcreaper posted:

Man im sure glad blizzard wants to remaster poo poo because they cant come up with anything unique worth a drat anymore.

The last unique Blizzard game was Lost Vikings (or I guess Diablo 1 maybe counts)

Warcraft is Dune/C&C with Warhammer themes
StarCraft is Warcraft with WH40K themes
WOW is Everquest with Warcraft themes
HOTS is DOTA with their own characters
Hearthstone is Magic with Warcraft themes
Overwatch is TF2 with LGBTQ characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

little munchkin posted:

drat, they went really conservative with those changes, i was hoping for some changes to non-hero units. Back to massing crypt fiends.

Does anyone who is actually good at the game see this patch affecting the meta at all? Dreadlord is the only one who stands out to me.

Well they said specifically that they didn't want to turn over the meta, just to make these changes and see what happens. The Blade nerf is big but we probably needed some kind of a DH or Beastmaster nerf to compensate, Far Seer could become a pick in other matchups but vNE wolves still suck vs wisps.

The DL buff has the potential to completely change UDvHU since you now have another option vs. tanks and gyros.

The biggest thing will be making sure that anti-cheat protections and monitoring get rebuilt into WC3 BNet, without that in place nobody good will want to put serious time into 1.29.