Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Going on a pigperch is my only unfulfilled desire in gaming, an infinite gold source is the ultimate economic trump card, someone just needs to automate this through some invention. Maybe an undead graveyard and a necromancer with raise dead on autocast, where the ranged skeleton triggers the spirit pigs but isnt strong enough to hurt the medicine man...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

So the high amount of damage and splash isn't enough to make up for that?

They are weaker against siege, heroes (since they are rarely standing still), and air. These 3 things are usually what kills towers.

Individually cannon towers are stronger against steam tanks and they are good if the enemy just tries to brute force their way through using ground armies. But those 2 things rarely kill towers...

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I really want to do a 24-player FFA, does anybody know any discords/forums/communities where these things are being setup? I'm not really in touch with the war3 community anymore.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

Make WC4 in the vein of what they were planning with WC3 in early development. If done well, I'd kinda like to see how a competitive scene of the sort would go.

You can't take a competitive scene for granted if you just toss a casual basebuilding RPG type thing at them and say "figure it out".

There's a lot of awesome stuff they can do with WC4 but its probably not going to be the stuff that didn't make the cut for WC3.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
The UMS/Custom map scene isn't coming back, unless indie games were to suddenly stop existing for some reason.

The coop mode for SC2 is popular and could be the foundation for a whole new game. Instead of continuing the azeroth storyline, a future WC RTS could be level-based RTS challenges where you and some friends enter a portal to some random lore snippet and complete a coop-style mission together and take a portal to the next world, completing objectives against the AI or against other other players.

There's a lot of unexplored space in the RTS genre, but it doesn't seem like Blizzard is going to be the pioneers, and as much as I wish I were wrong it doesn't seem like WC4 is going to be announced anytime soon.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

General Battuta posted:

Purely out of curiosity, why did Frozen Throne revamp magic damage and add so many anti-caster units? Were casters making GBS threads all over the RoC meta? I love reading about metagames so the more detail the better.

Yes, casters did piercing damage and they hadn't introduced the "unarmored" type so toward the end of RoC there wasn't really any reason to build non-caster units, I remember mass priest/sorc and shaman/wd being the meta, both of those comps having pretty insane healing and damage, with ud going mass necro/banshee (where the entire matchup hinged around who could buy up the "wand of negations" from goblin shops). I don't remember exactly what NE did but I guess bears and birds.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
They just released patch 1.31 two days ago so it will probably take a few months.
Note that they broke arranged team a while ago and still haven't gotten it working :( really strange

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
They disabled arranged team, just a matter of time until they disable solo and RT matchmaking. Then cancel WC3R due to lack of activity on the ladder. Spend 500 gems to upgrade your stronghold instantly in Warcraft Immortal!

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

If you don't want to wait 24 hours for your stronghold upgrade to complete.
The 500 gem booster pack is great value at only $29.95.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Very good towerdives this sesh
I'm playing with the reforged graphics so I can't really tell what heroes are on the screen or which players they belong to, but I'm having fun.

Mata fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 17, 2019

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
There are a lot of good reasons to quit at every stage when you're playing against towers.
But here's my tip if you meet us: experience and items are more important than gold, and if you fall behind in hero strength with no creep camps left, there's no amount of gold in the world that will get you back into the game. Most of our opponents stay in the game until we roll up to their armies with our tri-heroes and convert their entire army to an exp tome without losing anything.
Siege units, cloud, frost wyrms, chims, etc all have cost-effective counter-play if you use the right spells, but if the enemy team uses their army to creep all the red camps and now they have a level 5 tc with a blink dagger and 1500 health while we've got trashy 3/1/1 heroes that die and increase the enemy exp lead as soon as they step outside the towers, the game is lost.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Yeah zeppelin stunts. There's more than just dodging projectiles too, for example if you have good timing (and high latency) you can cast staff of preservation/sanctuary on your zep just before your hero is picked up and it'll activate with your hero inside, sending you home instantly without burning a TP.
Standing in the way of units trying to move and blocking them for any period of time is difficult to do on purpose but easy to do by accident on your own units for some reason.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Hell Yeah. I've been playing a lot of the WC3 reforged beta and i've come to the conclusion.. that it is actually really good. Easily the best thing to come outta blizz since Starcraft Remastered. They disabled the ability to play with classic gfx this last patch, presumably because they want to test reforged gfx only. But once they re-enable that, it'll be perfect, 5/5 stars.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
There's win records and unlockable icons in reforged beta but they're getting reset at release so they matter even less than normal.
There doesn't seem to be any ELO matchmaking, it just puts you in a game against anybody, which makes the AT vs RT thing dumb, but if they add that I think it will work very well.
The only reason I stopped playing WC3 is because the AT playerbase totally dried up, in 2018 there were <10 3v3 AT games being served per week, and absolutely no 4v4 AT games happening at all no matter how long you searched.
Being able to match vs RT is better than nothing and honestly at high levels RT players are better than most people give them credit for. Reforged also lets you search in the 4v4 queue as a 2s AT team (which will put you on a 4s team with 2 randoms) which is an exciting new game type that's already delivered some great games for us.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
YoR is kinda weird for shipping on early access with broken pathing. It is like the most important part of an RTS.
As far as I can tell they felt the heat from WC3Rs rapidly approaching release and felt like they had to ship. Or maybe they were financially out of options idk

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
For builds just watch progames. The macro in this game is mechanically simple so there's no reason not to copy the early builds and creep patterns that the top pros are doing.
There's definitely some corners you can cut to optimize for team games but I don't think this info is collected anywhere...

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I feel like the new graphics are fine. I kinda liked the old graphics too.
Overall I'm pretty content with reforged, but it's certainly true though that old blizzard (good blizz) would have delayed this release. Hopefully new blizzard (evil blizz) will atleast patch it to bring this game to feature parity with WC3 classic.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I don't understand the custom maps debate, what rights did people have to WC3 maps before reforged?
People seem to be under the impression that maps with copyright infringing material was allowed before but uhh.. that can't really be the case, can it?

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Fair enough, you hosted the maps on your own machine before. I still don't think you were allowed to host copyright infringing material but now it's probably blizzard's problem to a greater extent. That's tricky though because being able to host custom games is one of the few things reforged brings to the table, and I think people who haven't played WC3 for a while forget just how big of a pain in the rear end the port forwarding thing was.
I don't think DotA would have turned out different post-reforged, it's pretty difficult to sue someone for copying gameplay concepts and balance.

Mata fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 9, 2020

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Here's a very satisfying blademaster kill I got a few days ago.
Admitting I enjoy playing this game makes me feel like moleman in the back of the theatre saying "boo-urns".

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
It's freakin rude is what it is.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Blows my mind that wasn't fixed during testing. How did anyone do hardcore???

Same as softcore, you got your level 90 buddy to open a tp in the corner and you don't enter it until he writes "1"

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

PaybackJack posted:

ghouls were great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4LiaGG8KSs tillerman disagrees :(

E: Nevermind this video is from TFT. Time flies...

Mata fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 1, 2020

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
That mechanic is commonly called unit veterancy, I'm not sure RA2 was the first but its quite common now in more tactically oriented RTS games.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
As cool as the war2 ships were I think I'd rather see more ground units than naval ones TBQH. Water stuff is just going to feel tacked on and irrelevant unless every map is an island map.
There's more interesting movement mechanics to be had than water-based units (which is basically just a separate map, like the wayward article says). Cliffwalking in SC2 is cooler than that. In Wc3 that might be a unit that can walk thru trees or something.
Ghouls did have forestwalking for a patch or two, which was more about walking through units than trees, but could still have made for an interesting mechanic if they hadn't patched it out.

Mata fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 8, 2020

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

I Love You! posted:

It also simply doesn't work when you make races asymmetric - you cannot balance around the early game in this type of RTS when island maps are commonly in the mix.

I agree it's going to be gimmicky if its like Blizz RTS where at most 10% of maps are island based, but if all maps were island maps I think it could work.

Tubgoat posted:

Edit: Not for WarCraft, but a new RTS that was heavily water-/island-based from the getgo and whose factions are designed around it could be pretty badass.
There's like...
https://www.ardentseas.com/media/
But if it's entirely water-based then that's only aesthetically different from being entirely land-based. The interesting part is where they intersect

Mata fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 8, 2020

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

jokes posted:

What is the purpose of the food system? Yeah it penalizes having a huge army, but why is that not a good thing?

I was thinking: was It one of those reverse brain things, like the rested XP system in Blizzard, where it’s actually designed such that you’d be at medium or low upkeep unless you lose your army, which gives you an economic boost to rebuild? So players staying juuuust below the break points wasn’t intended?

It just seems weird and dumb that ideally you DON’T have armies on the field in this video game about having armies fight.

I read an interview with Metzen or whoever, who talked about this being a controversial change introduced late into the game's development, but I really think it makes the game work a lot better.
It does add a much-needed comeback mechanic to the game, but also adds economic asymmetry. If one player chooses to stay at 50 that opens a timing for you to go 50+ and attack. Likewise, staying at 50 is both an opportunity and a risk. This kind of trading roles of who is the attacker and who is the defender is difficult to get right in an RTS, but this particular implementation ties in very well with the other systems (teching, scouting, expanding, creeping, etc).
There are ofcourse some obvious issues with a "unit tax" game mechanic but I'm glad they were brave enough to go through with it.

Playing without upkeep makes the optimal strategy to build your army as big as you can, creep, expand, but you are never incentivized to attack outside of some specific unit/upgrade timings.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I misremembered, it wasn't an interview with Metzen, it was Rob Pardo on the Designer notes podcast. They talk a little about upkeep at 1h44m. https://www.idlethumbs.net/designernotes/episodes/rob-pardo-part-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
No you can't load sappers into zeps and you can't invis them.