Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Mooseontheloose posted:

How early was it in War3 where Nigh Elves where super broken because glaives like did tons of damage against everything and starfire was the best hero power?

I remember that era, back before the average player knew to have a skill that breaks channeling. I also remember maining the dread lord because nobody knew how to cancel sleep and ghouls were great. I remember hating the gently caress out of Frozen Throne because they made ghouls a lot weaker. I remember blocking a lot with shades too.

The thing I remember from playing the leaked beta on a fake bnet client called warforge was that knights were very good.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I remember Starfire being super broken in the RoC beta.

PaybackJack posted:

The thing I remember from playing the leaked beta on a fake bnet client called warforge was that knights were very good.
Got any good tales from those days? I remember the old wc3 site having a lot of stuff-we-scrapped on it screenshots, including the Farseer and PotM being flying at one point (on an albino wyvern and a huge fuckoff owl respectively), and I always mourned not getting more details on things like that.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

PaybackJack posted:

ghouls were great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4LiaGG8KSs tillerman disagrees :(

E: Nevermind this video is from TFT. Time flies...

Mata fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 1, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Drakyn posted:

Got any good tales from those days? I remember the old wc3 site having a lot of stuff-we-scrapped on it screenshots, including the Farseer and PotM being flying at one point (on an albino wyvern and a huge fuckoff owl respectively), and I always mourned not getting more details on things like that.

There was one TFT patch where Destroyers—those are the flying black statues that could eat magic and gain splash damage—accidentally did full attack damage in their entire splash radius. (Splash damage is supposed to be lower than main attack damage.)

My brother and I would play LANs and our first game on that patch he did bloodlust shamans against my UD. The big fight happened and ended shortly thereafter with a plaintive "I don't understand" since the Destroyers ate the bloodlusts then all did full-attack-damage splash over his entire army, creating conditions incompatible with orc survival.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

General Battuta posted:

conditions incompatible with orc survival.

:newdanger::orks:

I was specifically asking about beta weirdness, but I'm not complaining. Jesus.
I was too young and clueless to really pay attention to patch notes at the time and me and my friend's multiplayer strategies more or less boiled down to 'uhh....mass endgame units?' so stuff like this flew right under my radar.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ghouls used to be able to walk through enemy units when you clicked on a tree behind them because they're also harvesters so you could bypass the enemy meatshield and just start murdering their casters

Khorne
May 1, 2002
my favorite thing from early wc3 was getting goblin land mines and casually blowing up your opponent's main in the first few minutes in a completely unstoppable way (goblin sappers at some point also)

or getting wand of lightning shield and casually winning the game for free

or getting big tomes of exp and winning from it

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 2, 2020

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mooseontheloose posted:

How early was it in War3 where Nigh Elves where super broken because glaives like did tons of damage against everything and starfire was the best hero power?

The first time this happened, they were still called ballistas, as I recall. They were tier 2 like the rest of the seige engines. Turning them into glaive throwers and making them tier 1 was part of the re-balancing.

http://classic.battle.net/war3/nightelf/units/ballista.shtml

http://classic.battle.net/war3/nightelf/units/glaivethrower.shtml

Seldom Posts fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 2, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
To be fair giving elves tier one siege was probably the right move. They get a huge creeping advantage with ancients but pushes can easily kill you early and a human tower rush against close spawn on turtle rock was almost unbeatable at one point.

I can't believe I forgot goblin land mines, the closest thing to an instant win I think I've ever personally used in a strategy game of any kind. And early too! Like first creep camp, rush to enemy base, win. I don't know if they'd detonate on their own without anything walking over it so elves might have a chance but the other 3 are going to lose their entire gold line and probably their main or haunted gold mine. Seriously, open the editor, place them in the middle of a map and give it a shot. It's hilarious if it's still the same. It's a drat shame they're so broken; I'd love to see the items get switched up a bit

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

To be fair giving elves tier one siege was probably the right move. They get a huge creeping advantage with ancients but pushes can easily kill you early and a human tower rush against close spawn on turtle rock was almost unbeatable at one point.

I can't believe I forgot goblin land mines, the closest thing to an instant win I think I've ever personally used in a strategy game of any kind. And early too! Like first creep camp, rush to enemy base, win. I don't know if they'd detonate on their own without anything walking over it so elves might have a chance but the other 3 are going to lose their entire gold line and probably their main or haunted gold mine. Seriously, open the editor, place them in the middle of a map and give it a shot. It's hilarious if it's still the same. It's a drat shame they're so broken; I'd love to see the items get switched up a bit

Yeah, it was a good move. In retrospect War3 was a well supported game with lots of well thought out balance changes. People complained at the time, but that's the market.

Goblin mines were indeed excellent, also enjoyed clearing trees behind an enemy base and using the goblin zepplin to put siege machines or towers there. Hard to do, but hilarious when it worked.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

General Battuta posted:

I remember Starfire being super broken in the RoC beta.

Starfall literally, and instantly, crashed the game.

For the opponent only.

Resulting in an instant win.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Elven trees counted as units even when rooted and set them off on their own. It was literally unavoidable as NE, guaranteed tree kill. I think it actually only took 2 mines to kill a Tree of Life. Fun fact: Goblin landmines only hit enemy units so you could lay them down in the middle of a fight and kill the entire enemy army at once with no risk.

Drakyn posted:

I have many tales and can probably get the ones I don't have. Some very quick highlights I will add to later:

- Raider rushing in beta - Raiders had better stats and were cheaper than grunts, had nets, did full damage to units and like double damage to buildings. 5-6 Raiders could take down an entire enemy base much faster a few minutes into a game than an enemy army could kill them. This was the ONLY strategy for a patch or two.
- Dreadlord sleep lasted full duration on heroes and their AOE had no unit/damage cap. This +ghoul forestwalking stayed insane throughout much of RoC
- Casters were for all practical purposes better at fighting than other units at release. Comparable damage + spells, almost all of which were better en masse. Most armies were pure caster vs pure caster
- Creeps could level you up past 6 and gave much more xp compared to currently (and enemy units gave less). Most games were spent PvEing for 2/3 the time
- Wands of Negation were purchasable in shops (for 150 gold i think?) with 3 charges each, for a large portion of RoC. They were by far the most important thing you could be doing with your money, countering half the hero abilities and being absolutely required vs. most army compositions. High level games typically came down to who used WoNs better, and 2v2s were even worse

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 2, 2020

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Some more really stupid things that are fun to remember:

- Steam tanks originally required you to load Riflemen in them to attack. Otherwise they were just armored transports for your troops, who would all die if the tank did (which was "useful" because ???)
- Demon Hunter mana burn burned (operating on memory here) approximately twice as much mana, did full damage per point of mana burned, and had the same range as an upgraded archer
- Siege did full damage to units so pure Catapult/Blade Master was a thing for a while
- Frost Wyrms were cheaper and much stronger and could easily beat dedicated anti-air armies even very late in beta - 3-4 ghouls + DK straight into Frost Wyrms was virtually uncounterable and had to be nerfed hard
- Mass banshee was almost unstoppable for a few patches in RoC - possession was instant and there weren't good ways to punish mass caster at the time anyway

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I Love You! posted:

- Siege did full damage to units so pure Catapult/Blade Master was a thing for a while
- Frost Wyrms were cheaper and much stronger and could easily beat dedicated anti-air armies even very late in beta - 3-4 ghouls + DK straight into Frost Wyrms was virtually uncounterable and had to be nerfed hard
- Mass banshee was almost unstoppable for a few patches in RoC - possession was instant and there weren't good ways to punish mass caster at the time anyway

Remember all this - the last one led to one of my favorite gaming memories doing a 3 person FFA with friends. Friend 1 passes by my base with just a gently caress ton of banshees so I type out "lol" and Friend 2 says "did Friend 1 go all banshees?" and I lost it when I saw "Friend 2 has left the game." almost immediately after.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Remember when mass necros that just sat in base and sent endless waves of skeletons at you from the other side of the map was a thing

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Banshee insta-cast was crazy stuff because with shades you'd see their whole army and could micro to steal all their units before they even knew the fight was coming so you kind of had units trailing and advancing your main army so that you could get ahead of a wave of banshees rushing you.

AnonSpore posted:

Remember when mass necros that just sat in base and sent endless waves of skeletons at you from the other side of the map was a thing

The best of this was playing 2v2 with a human ally that would turn his guys into militia just for you to have a horde of cannon fodder to turn into skeletons during a big attack. For as much as I have enjoyed watching high level War3 replays, most games are at their best at the casual level when you can do these jank strategies.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh yeah the hotd and black citadel used to not have a frost attack and instead did about twice the damage of a spirit tower while having the same cooldown. So it'd do about 60 dps. They were called death stars

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh yeah the hotd and black citadel used to not have a frost attack and instead did about twice the damage of a spirit tower while having the same cooldown. So it'd do about 60 dps. They were called death stars

Sounds like something Undead could really use, honestly.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

I Love You! posted:

- Steam tanks originally required you to load Riflemen in them to attack. Otherwise they were just armored transports for your troops, who would all die if the tank did (which was "useful" because ???)
I thought I encountered this one time, but the next time I made tanks this had been fixed, so I just assumed I had misremembered and wildly misunderstood the unit's capabilities.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Tubgoat posted:

I thought I encountered this one time, but the next time I made tanks this had been fixed, so I just assumed I had misremembered and wildly misunderstood the unit's capabilities.

They had to change it very quickly as it was incredibly buggy. They didn't even try to fix it, just removed the feature.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

My favorite Steam Tank/Siege Engine bug is that their weapons use an incorrect projectile mover (despite having the data specified for the proper one) and it will never be changed because #effort despite the teleporting shells looking weird as gently caress

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Some more memories:

- There were maps where human could tower rush lvl 10 creeps at the start of the game with 1-2 towers because of how targetting worked and due to towers granting XP on kills
- Invuln potions worked while channeling spells. Walk into base, Starfall/tranq + invuln, GG. With creeping more powerful at the time a lot of games ended this way
- INFINITE TOME BUG (storytime below)

...so originally tomes of all sorts were items you picked up and held in inventory until used. This was silly because it incentivized you to hunt for, then horde them for a new hero according to the types of tomes you found (or just hunt for XP tomes and stash them away). So they patched in the current implementation of tomes - one-time buff when your hero picks them up.

Within an hour people discovered that if you shift clicked on a tome, it would queue up "use" commands. As many times as you right clicked. Which, of course, led to the play pattern of shift-clicking an extremely long, meandering route followed by queing up several hundred tome-pickup commands.

While it might seem like finding a tome of XP and instantly becoming lvl 10 was the dream, the true power was unlocked by a tome of Str (near-infinite HP and, on a Str hero, near-infinite damage) and Agil (massive armour, attack speed, and +damage on an agil hero). If you ever played UMS games with exponential hero stat growth, it was like that but in a ladder game.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 3, 2020

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Mass Banshees was OP in the patch when they made Anti-Magic Shell undispellable. Anti-Magic Shell at the time gave a unit total magic immunity (rather than just eating up some magic damage like it does now) so in the days of mass casters having your army be completely immune to magic was incredible. Instant Possess was just the icing on the cake but it was Anti-Magic Shell and the nature of the game back then that was the actual reason they were amazingly good for that one patch.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Flayer posted:

Mass Banshees was OP in the patch when they made Anti-Magic Shell undispellable. Anti-Magic Shell at the time gave a unit total magic immunity (rather than just eating up some magic damage like it does now) so in the days of mass casters having your army be completely immune to magic was incredible. Instant Possess was just the icing on the cake but it was Anti-Magic Shell and the nature of the game back then that was the actual reason they were amazingly good for that one patch.

To be fair it was the double-whammy that did it. Anti magic shell meant that casters weren't particularly useful against banshees, and possession meant that bringing an army of bruisers was an auto-loss, so there really was no solution to the riddle.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This stuff kinda sounds like if it happened today with social media it would have caught backlash for how messed up the meta is.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This stuff kinda sounds like if it happened today with social media it would have caught backlash for how messed up the meta is.

Maybe but on the other hand, I think the longer times in metas allowed for new strategies and better balancing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

There was a brief point where taverns were introduced where you could train both an altar hero and a tavern one in tier one. Also sea witch was amphibious so you could potentially creep with say an AM + elemental + whatever while harassing their main from the water. It might not have made it to the release game but it was definitely in the some early version of tft

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Having amphibious heroes in the game sounds cool for some maps.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
It would be fun to have naval units again, those were good days. And Christmas lights on buildings in the winter tilesets.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I was really bummed when wc3 didn't have naval units or oil. poo poo I think originally they weren't even going to have lumber as a resource.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was really bummed when wc3 didn't have naval units or oil. poo poo I think originally they weren't even going to have lumber as a resource.

I remember feeling the same way.

Warcraft 2 was my loving life as a kid in the 90s. That and xcom.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Water heavy maps added such a unique dimension to multiplayer gameplay in War 2. There weren't many public games played on sea maps, but they were some of the best games.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Water heavy maps added such a unique dimension to multiplayer gameplay in War 2. There weren't many public games played on sea maps, but they were some of the best games.

Exactly it's why I was so bummed.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think they weren't even going to have base building because they said such and such percent of the time spent is "players building their bases". Turns out people really like building their bases. I honestly want to see the opposite universe wc3 just for a bit

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think they weren't even going to have base building because they said such and such percent of the time spent is "players building their bases". Turns out people really like building their bases. I honestly want to see the opposite universe wc3 just for a bit

Myth: The Fallen Lords and Soulblighter did this really well. There were hotkeys for unit formations!

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I could of sworn WC3 had naval units at least in the campaign or map editor.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Frozen throne added a small smattering of mercenary ones, but the base game only had transports.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

SirDrone posted:

I could of sworn WC3 had naval units at least in the campaign or map editor.

I think the Naga subrace had swimming units, but it's annoyingly difficult to confirm any WC3-specific information.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Myth: The Fallen Lords

It's funny you mention this because watching high level WC3 games where once a player's army is complete they rarely add more units to it and simply try to keep their units alive and most money gets spend on upgrades and items; it does feel like Myth. I don't know if that was intentionally designed that way based on Myth but the idea of having all your units not just be easily replaceable fodder was one of the reasons I really liked WC3 over Starcraft.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I like the smaller number of units to keep track of in WC3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

A grunt is like a 200g investment and losing them prematurely just feels devastating