Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I am on the edge of my seat. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Phone posted:

gently caress it, put in the 3.2 I5 Powerstroke into a 67 Mustang. Watch heads explode.

It'd be like the Duramax GNX but from some weird alternate history version of the US where Ford was the one to try a poorly-received cynically-engineered consumer diesel first.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Phone posted:

Is the new Ford diesel a turd or something? I feel like I'm missing something.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/vintage-speed/top-automotive-engineering-failures-oldsmobile-diesels

The Mustang would have been an appropriate choice if Ford had made a bad diesel in the 80s.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 15, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah that place is so Danish it hurts.

If it were Dutch they'd have figured out some way to engineer a way to cause a horrendous flood with their precious bicycles and then bought into some kind of ridiculous flower-based hysteria.

Mechanical updates are one thing but I cannot wait to see how painful the bodywork is...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's the world's shortest barrel of gear oil.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's probably Minilites, Sakuras or Watanabes but I'm hoping for teeny tiny TE37s.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You should've gone for Sakuras, although if my knowledge of the timeframe on this thing is right they weren't available at the time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I wonder how many panicked meetings the reproduction wheel guys have had once they hire an intern who knows how to do FEA.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This last update delivered on the promise of the thread. I hope it will continue to get better. :allears:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
God, you're a tease.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

8ender posted:

Shredders are awesome and fun to use what is wrong with you people. BRRRRRRRRRR and out comes little confetti.

I hate having to nurse my shredder because it's a small piece of consumer bullshit that starts grumbling if you shove three or four sheets of paper in it at the same time. I've had to replace it already once because it once got used slightly too long without having the magic shredder oil run through it.

For the level of noise and maintenance I have to spend on it, I want a loving V8 powered shredder that I can offhand-chuck an entire binder full of paper at and have it shred it rings and all. I'm a busy man, motherfucker.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCH6n9v-qLw

We used one of those to clean out an old office compactus, a full archive box at a time!

There we loving go. When you need a job done, you go to the Australians.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm excited. The brake stuff sounds sketchy, why won't you bend the lines?

It's neither complicated nor dangerous compared to running a stock master and prop valve on big titty aftermarket brakes. Maybe I'm misunderstanding though. Brakes are not my strong suit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You should just leave the windshield off all the time and wear goggles. That poo poo looks bad rear end.

Sorry to hear the Caymans thing didn't work out. You can watch the declining arc in retrospect in this very thread, unfortunately. :( I'm in the midst of making a change for many of the same reasons, myself.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Holy crap what an update. I don't quite get the significance of the GameCube controller, apparently I'm getting old.

Gorgeous bike, gorgeous RX7, broken Krautmobile, and I've always wanted a C4 of my own but that L98 is one lovely engine. Nice colour though!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Were you running a little low on fuel at the time? Those older C4 fuel pumps will overheat at the drop of a hat.

Draining the tank and replacing the fuel filter(s?) should make life a lot easier though :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I borrowed one like this from McTinkerson.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0411/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man, I'm excited to see more progress on this car. It rules so loving hard.

Won't you switch on the ground in order to turn an LED light on and off anyway? The bulb ground won't be the same one as the vehicle ground, right?

e: I assume you'd have the + and - of the LED into the PWM controller and the PWM controller is grounded to chassis ground. The dimming is done with the differential between the chassis ground and the bulb ground, right?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 12, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sh4 posted:

Isn't this more expensive than a classic Nardi steering wheel ?

Yeah, but then you get in and panic every time because you think you're driving a Nardi.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I would have probably just gone with a powersports battery or something in lieu of a Group 53. Something like a nice Deka would have been pretty cheap (usually under $100, especially in the US), crank the car just as well and give you more room for working in the car.

Changing over the terminals to a screw-top isn't that big of a deal on something this old, I assume.

I really want to set up an electrolytic rust removal rig. I assume it's so badly seized that even with a torch you can't use a wheeled or direct stud puller or something to extract it from the rails huh?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 19, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
A good carb backfire puts hair on your chest.

Or takes it off, whatever, I've been having trouble putting thoughts together in logical order since the last one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Sweet. What a great sounding little engine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Wait a minute, Nissan made reverse-spinning engines?

I have the same problem as you do with any complex system. I've started forcing myself to make lists of known and unknowns, on paper, while away from the problem.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Now I want to buy a Roadster and move to California so I have an excuse to visit Solvang yearly.

On the edge of my seat for the next instalment.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I can save you a day of work so you can spend it on the Datsun instead. The middleware is broken and your offsite developers are refusing to fix it because their boss won't let them do it right.

Your to-do lists are very Saul Bass. I like 'em.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Long rods... Honda?

89.5mm bore - KA24? I didn't know they had those in Australia.

A long rod 2.3 should loving howl. Is the camshaft street ridiculous or gently caress you no vacuum ridiculous?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Get your mom to dyno tune that STI, the Cobb OTS tune leaves so much power on the table, even on poo poo tier Cali gas.

Your dad has phenomenal taste in roadsters, and should keep doing what he's doing.

Still got that '80 RX7? I need a fender.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 28, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The other day, I found out that Rota inexplicably sells quite a few wheels in 4x108.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Sorry, I meant 4x110, which is what the SA22 RX7s used and apparently nothing else. But Rota's got wheels in that pattern.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The Fiero engine mounts like an FWD engine would, and I don't know if anyone has an FWD transaxle that can accept a 13B.

If anyone's done it it's probably New Zealanders or Puerto Ricans though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Awesome progress! Poor engine! :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man I was nervous for that entire minute of drive video.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Just this month I drove off without even finger tight bolts holding my front calipers on.

I drove for an hour on the highway in rush hour traffic wondering what that weird thumping noise was until the left front ejected its top bolt and tried to crack the wheel in half.

I've got mixed feelings about that. On one hand I really hate these wheels. On the other hand I don't think blowing up a wheel at highway speeds is all that safe.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch.

God drat that hurts. I have never thought to check that sort of thing before playing around with oil filters, but you bet I'll do it from now on. :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
IronBlock's Datsun: Stroked Too Much, Spurted Everywhere

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Holy poo poo did you piss off Yutaka Katayama and he's trying to get back at you from the afterlife?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I saw this little buddy in Tokyo when I was visiting earlier last year.

Beep beep!

I hope seeing it will fill your heart with joy and your future stories with better luck. Plus it's got a fancy little hard top.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oil pump would be my guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Well at least you'll get some compression from decking the head, right? Right?

• Locked thread