Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entoloma
Jan 2, 2009
I backed the the game at kickstarter based on the Garriot hype. I was hoping for an Ultima 7 sort of game with multiplayer. A multiplayer more along the lines of NWN. And maybe a bit of UO.

It quickly became an MMO.

After all this time I don't know what to say. There's no art direction and everything looks like a disconnected mess. Combat is terrible. The interface is terrible. They are cloning scenes and towns just to meet this final wipe event which looks even worse. Every non-town zone is just a rough square shaped zone dotted with random mobs. The NPCs are dull and all look the same. The "hundreds of clothing options" hasn't even started to materialize (outside of the addon store). The addon store is all pervasive. And they are just shoving all kinds of poo poo in to make extra money. We've got premium currency and (not-so)micro-transactions on top of the base purchase of the game.

In the audiobook link above I wonder if any of the chapters they describe a picture of a dog wearing sunglasses next to a fighter jet, or the banner outside of Razor regional headquarters, New Britannia.

How did it go so wrong?

Mainly I think Garriot should have just made a single player Ultima style RPG for his first kickstarter. Ship it to the standard of Ultima 7. Then he could have gotten whatever he wanted for his follow-up MMO thing and we'd all still be happy because we'd have gotten a good RPG out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Is anyone going to Shroud of the Avatar-con 2016?
https://www.gofundme.com/sotacon2016

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Entoloma posted:

How did it go so wrong?

This is a really interesting question that will probably never have a satisfactory answer.

I work in the software industry (though not the games industry). My guess would be that it's due in no small part to the whale sales. Selling in-game advantages for relatively large amounts of real money has the unfortunate side-effect of "locking in" you economy way, way before it should be. A basic house has a real-world value now; it's about $275. You can never change that, because people paid for it. It's locked in. And all other prices are going to need to grow off from that.

When you start like SotA or Star Citizen, you promise great things and sell in-game advantages for large amounts of cash. You get a huge - and quick! - influx of money from players locking in their houses or ships. Without a publisher, it must be tempting as a game maker to want to get in on that. At the outset, it's a pretty simple question: would you like to make millions of dollars before you have a playable demo, or would you not like to do so?

Unfortunately, the side effect of this is your development time. If I have paid you thousands of dollars for in-game items, I demand (rightly) that you spend your time developing those things. Time spent on housing or ships is time not spent on gameplay or bug fixing.

We see this in SotA right now. People are showing off their houses, but no gameplay. The cash store is omnipresent. Your 5% whales get the majority of the attention. This is a valid business model for certain games (i.e. casual phone games). It is a bad business model for persistent world games, which this shitpile is. The 5% needs the 95%, the more casual players for several purposes: to buy their goods / be victimized in PvP / look awestruck at their gear. And that 95% isn't going to play, or stick around, if the rest of the game is poo poo. I can't get a house, and the combat and crafting are both terrible. Why would I play?

So by catering to cash-shop whales, you de-prioritize everything else to the point where it crumbles.

It's just a theory, but I think it's a good one.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Welp, it's not every day that I see the dumbest thing that I've ever seen.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
"The first 4 donations of $2000 or more will be guaranteed a table in the vendor/game room and a banner in the pannel room."

haahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Entoloma posted:

I backed the the game at kickstarter based on the Garriot hype. I was hoping for an Ultima 7 sort of game with multiplayer. A multiplayer more along the lines of NWN. And maybe a bit of UO.

It quickly became an MMO.

After all this time I don't know what to say. There's no art direction and everything looks like a disconnected mess. Combat is terrible. The interface is terrible. They are cloning scenes and towns just to meet this final wipe event which looks even worse. Every non-town zone is just a rough square shaped zone dotted with random mobs. The NPCs are dull and all look the same. The "hundreds of clothing options" hasn't even started to materialize (outside of the addon store). The addon store is all pervasive. And they are just shoving all kinds of poo poo in to make extra money. We've got premium currency and (not-so)micro-transactions on top of the base purchase of the game.

In the audiobook link above I wonder if any of the chapters they describe a picture of a dog wearing sunglasses next to a fighter jet, or the banner outside of Razor regional headquarters, New Britannia.

How did it go so wrong?

Mainly I think Garriot should have just made a single player Ultima style RPG for his first kickstarter. Ship it to the standard of Ultima 7. Then he could have gotten whatever he wanted for his follow-up MMO thing and we'd all still be happy because we'd have gotten
a good RPG out of it.

Cool review, thanks for alleviating my concerns!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Jesus loving christ it is even worded as though this will happen for many years to come

They probably did not anticipate struggling to hit 1/4 of their goal when they decided to hide the obvious 'surprise' that after a certain amount of money they'll write AND MEET....RICHARD GARRIOT!!!

At this point Garriot has essentially become to making video games what Lou Ferrigno has become to bodybuilding, except instead of 20 dollars to meet him it's 2,000

@Lum: You are a great man who helped create DAoC and I apologize for giving up on this game, I can only hope you either read this thread only when in a great mood or that you are actively seeking a job at the slightly less bad cash sink: Camelot Unchained

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I cannot get over the fact that Richard Garriot paid 30 million dollars to go to space and is making the people who funded the game he refuses to make also now pay to meet him and each other and pay for the tents and meals

*Lord British looks into his bank vault, seeing he has gone from 100 million gold coins, to 99 million gold coins and change, asks one of his loyal followers to please be a noble sir and pay for his hot dog at SOTA-CON*

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Thursday Next posted:

This is a really interesting question that will probably never have a satisfactory answer.

I work in the software industry (though not the games industry). My guess would be that it's due in no small part to the whale sales. Selling in-game advantages for relatively large amounts of real money has the unfortunate side-effect of "locking in" you economy way, way before it should be. A basic house has a real-world value now; it's about $275. You can never change that, because people paid for it. It's locked in. And all other prices are going to need to grow off from that.

When you start like SotA or Star Citizen, you promise great things and sell in-game advantages for large amounts of cash. You get a huge - and quick! - influx of money from players locking in their houses or ships. Without a publisher, it must be tempting as a game maker to want to get in on that. At the outset, it's a pretty simple question: would you like to make millions of dollars before you have a playable demo, or would you not like to do so?

Unfortunately, the side effect of this is your development time. If I have paid you thousands of dollars for in-game items, I demand (rightly) that you spend your time developing those things. Time spent on housing or ships is time not spent on gameplay or bug fixing.

We see this in SotA right now. People are showing off their houses, but no gameplay. The cash store is omnipresent. Your 5% whales get the majority of the attention. This is a valid business model for certain games (i.e. casual phone games). It is a bad business model for persistent world games, which this shitpile is. The 5% needs the 95%, the more casual players for several purposes: to buy their goods / be victimized in PvP / look awestruck at their gear. And that 95% isn't going to play, or stick around, if the rest of the game is poo poo. I can't get a house, and the combat and crafting are both terrible. Why would I play?

So by catering to cash-shop whales, you de-prioritize everything else to the point where it crumbles.

It's just a theory, but I think it's a good one.

I agree. In FtP games the scrub tier players have to be catered to because they're the content for your whales. If you can't bring in hordes of guys who will casually play for free (or for very little money) then what are your whales going to do?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Thursday Next posted:

To Star Citizen's credit, they're doing a couple extremely detailed ships and generally the concept sales that were fulfilled meet the description and they got what they paid for versus hundreds of items on the add-on store because they can't charge $40-$300 for an outhouse. Cloud Imperium has what? 5 studios and like 300 employees? Portalarium has I think 30 at most, and when those modelers are being used to create hats and jukeboxes and other poo poo to fill up the add on store with, that's taking away from them being able to work on the level that requires custom architecture, but gently caress it, they can get those off the asset store.

At least Star Citizen resembles what was described in the Kickstarter pitch and the stretch goals and they're doing their own thing and it resembles an alpha of a big budget PC exclusive. This is just an incoherent loving mess.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

To Star Citizen's credit, they're doing a couple extremely detailed ships and generally the concept sales that were fulfilled meet the description and they got what they paid for versus hundreds of items on the add-on store because they can't charge $40-$300 for an outhouse. Cloud Imperium has what? 5 studios and like 300 employees? Portalarium has I think 30 at most, and when those modelers are being used to create hats and jukeboxes and other poo poo to fill up the add on store with, that's taking away from them being able to work on the level that requires custom architecture, but gently caress it, they can get those off the asset store.

At least Star Citizen resembles what was described in the Kickstarter pitch and the stretch goals and they're doing their own thing and it resembles an alpha of a big budget PC exclusive. This is just an incoherent loving mess.

You're comparing a scam to another scam and acting like one scam is somehow better than the other scam.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

How much are you in for, commando?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Dootman posted:

How much are you in for, commando?

$30, why do you think I don't regret it? It's fun

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

I read that as something else. It's done, the Internet has broken my mind completely.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I got Star Citizen too for €25 in late 2015 and so far I've been pretty impressed with whats going on

Are you guys comparing the two just because roberts and garriott both worked for Origin?

Cause really there is nothing else you can base this comparison upon. One is a scam, the other the greatest crowdfunding project to date

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

2DCAT posted:

Welp, it's not every day that I see the dumbest thing that I've ever seen.

idk man, we see dumb poo poo all the time, they just dont feel like a huge letdown, so we don't care.

i mean the HMO is full of threads about scam piece of poo poo kickstarters, so what.

This thread is different though. This is like Santa (RG) and his little piece of poo poo imp (Lum) have conspired to rape my juvenile anus on new year's eve. Ok, I won't sit there and take it, but that doesnt change the fact that christmass is cancelled.

gently caress you santa and gently caress you richard garriott

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Nurel posted:

I got Star Citizen too for €25 in late 2015 and so far I've been pretty impressed with whats going on

Are you guys comparing the two just because roberts and garriott both worked for Origin?

Cause really there is nothing else you can base this comparison upon. One is a scam, the other the greatest crowdfunding project to date

:laffo:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Its a fakepost, it has to be.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

If Star Citizen were to get made in the way Chris Roberts wants, it would be an amazing game.

Shroud of the Avatar is getting made in the way Richard Garriot wants, and it is a goddamn shitpile.

I can see Nurel's point, even if it is a trollpost.

HAY GUYZ only another couple of weeks until Shroud launches!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Thursday Next posted:

If Star Citizen were to get made in the way Chris Roberts wants, it would be an amazing game.

Shroud of the Avatar is getting made in the way Richard Garriot wants, and it is a goddamn shitpile.

It will be ready and a good game and no one can tell me otherwise.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Node posted:

It will be ready and a good game and no one can tell me otherwise.

I envy your faith, good sir or madam.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Thursday Next posted:

You really can't be this stupid.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
To Star Citizen's credit, it's significantly more enjoyable than this poo poo show. Is anyone really going to dispute that?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

To Star Citizen's credit, it's significantly more enjoyable than this poo poo show. Is anyone really going to dispute that?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
Seriously though, if it's a choice between SoTA and SC, there are no winners.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

iminers posted:

You really can't be this stupid.

?

I don't have any interest in star citizen, and I think both "games" are poo poo. Are you stupid? Maybe it's you that is stupid.

A white knight appears! Tell us all about how amazing SotA is, and how stupid we all are for not getting The Vision(tm). How much have you spent?

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 7, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I've enjoyed Star Citizen far more than any space sim/sci-fi MMO in the last ten years tbh

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I haven't bothered spending time on the SC alpha *yet*, though I hear they released the 1st persistent environment a few days ago? Gotta try that.

Imo everyone will play it once its out, and it will definately cost $60-80 on release, so suit yourselves.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

hey guys check it out its richard garriotts dad

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

2DCAT posted:

Seriously though, if it's a choice between SoTA and SC, there are no winners.

did you know the Elite Dangerous goon player group sports around 5-10 (mostly inactive) thousand people**? Those guys all put in at least $40 each just to cruise in space, do pew pew and space trucking in a spacegame with EXTREMELY limited multiplayer capabilities.

Can you imagine what the gently caress will go down once SC is out? I'm just mortified man. SC will be utterly destroyed by goons. In short, turd sandwich wins

**will check the actual number and edit when I get home if necessary. Its a LOT of people though.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Nurel posted:

I haven't bothered spending time on the SC alpha *yet*, though I hear they released the 1st persistent environment a few days ago? Gotta try that.

Imo everyone will play it once its out, and it will definately cost $60-80 on release, so suit yourselves.

I haven't played 2.4 since the day it went to the public live servers, partially because it was a little buggy and partially because I wanted to wait until I got my 1080 since I just upgraded my monitor (pushing roughly 30% more than my old 1440p monitor).

It's definitely fun and once it fleshes out the economic systems and adds more content in general, I'll be playing.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

My unborn grandchildren are very excited for beta.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I never thought I'd ever write this, but you can buy Richard Garriot's blood for $5000 and you'll get exclusive items in Shroud of the Avatar?
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/...is-a-Thing.html

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

I never thought I'd ever write this, but you can buy Richard Garriot's blood for $5000 and you'll get exclusive items in Shroud of the Avatar?

hahaha this just makes me smile. shroud of the avatar may suck (IT WONT) but lord british will always, always own

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dude should know better than to sell spell reagents like that.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ebay deleted their 'live for stream' auctions because you cannot sell blood on ebay and its in the rules, so they listed them here along with all of the other charity items that benefit everyone except those who donated to what used to be a video game with focus and direction

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=51225

i think the famous guy making the game selling his own blood has to be the most direct equivalent to a tv writer jumping the shark

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

extra stout posted:

ebay deleted their 'live for stream' auctions because you cannot sell blood on ebay and its in the rules, so they listed them here along with all of the other charity items that benefit everyone except those who donated to what used to be a video game with focus and direction

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=51225

i think the famous guy making the game selling his own blood has to be the most direct equivalent to a tv writer jumping the shark

Well, the $8,000 includes more than just blood. You also get a /meditate emote, making the price a steal imo

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

i would like to purchase the residue of richard garriotts cum, after it has been imbibed and excreted by Lum the Mad

how much

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Good game is good. Good game is good. Good game is good. Good game is good. Good game is good. Good game is good. Good game is good. Good game is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Node posted:

Good game is good. Good game is good. Good game is good. Good game is good. Good game is good. Good game is good. Good game is good. Good game is good.

Oh, Node :(. I'm so sorry.

Happy launch day, folks.

• Locked thread