Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

Jerry Garcia's Ghost posted:

From Richard garriot:

I am looking forward to the next couple of releases, which will include even more of the mainland map. (The Graf Gem Mine was just the start!) But what I am most excited about is the upcoming combat improvements, including our first tests involving PVP! We listened to YOU, the community, and decided to focus on PVP as early as possible, as this allows us to balance and tune combat in PVE and PVP at the same time versus sequentially. Since we firmly believe PVP is an integral part of Shroud of the Avatar, we wanted to dedicate as much time as we can to get it right.
The AI concerns that have been brought up will still be addressed in later releases, so PVE folks should take heart. Though we are slightly shifting focus to include PVP combat, we are not ignoring PVE; just solving the AI issues after we have basic combat a bit more balanced and polished.

It's a non-massive multiplayer online RPG.

My understanding is that there will be a large persistent server, private multiplayer, etc. Is that incorrect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

Shodai posted:

My understanding is that there will be a large persistent server, private multiplayer, etc. Is that incorrect?

I believe it will be as you say. Also an offline option if you want to be alone.

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001
more PVP info from the news letter:

Are You Ready for some PvP?

Passions (and smack talk) have been running rampant at the Portalarium office the past couple of weeks as the entire team is embroiled in PvP every morning, getting it ready for prime time in Release 8! At 11:00 am every day the entire dev team assembles online at the Castle Arena Basement for 30 minutes of PvP Free-For-All!

The first week was pretty chaotic since none of us really knew what we were doing, and first iterations had a few bugs getting in the way. But by the second week, we were all getting a little better, and the bugs were getting fewer. The production room (me, Starr, and Rick) were the reigning kings for about 1 day due to forming a party and coordinating our attacks, but the rest of the office caught on quick and the next day there were two artist teams, a couple of programmer teams, the designer team, and the QA team. I could be wrong, but it seemed to me they were all cooperating to kill the production team. Needless to say, we're having a lot of fun with it and look forward to getting all of your feedback when Release 8 launches in just 12 days!

PvP Option for Player Owned Towns

Community member Duke Violation suggested that we allow players to be able to set Open PvP for their player owned towns and we thought that was a brilliant idea, so we're adding that option to the Owner's Console for Player Owned Towns! Thanks Duke Violation!

Hangout of the Avatar Developer Roundtable ~ PvP Edition

Chris Spears hosted a special PvP Edition of Hangout of the Avatar yesterday, accompanied by Richard Garriott, Starr Long, and Firelotus! The community posted lots of great questions so if you weren't able to attend then be sure and check out the video:

Combat and PVP Team update!

Chris started public and Dev+ forum posts to track the team progress on PvP/Combat for Release 8. Here's an excerpt from the public forum post (which has exploded into 26 pages...go figure):

Dippy_Dragon
We are now one (short) week into our 8 or 9 week sprint to make combat and PVP FUN! While the team as a whole is always redefining what it means to be agile developers, we’re taking it up a notch further while working on this particular section.

We went and found the people on the team most interested in it, cleared their schedules of almost all other work, and are having them focus exclusively on PVP and combat. Every day we do a PVP play session together with the whole team. After the session, the small group involved with combat get together and discuss what stuff needs the most love for that day. We write it all on a whiteboard and decide who is going to be working on which items. Tasks are created and assigned and then the whiteboard is erased.

Every day we’re following that procedure and just hitting the items that were most obvious. About 50% of the work is stuff we knew about, designed, and planned on and the other 50% is stuff that was not at all obvious until we really started getting our hands dirty. We’re rapidly approaching the point where instead of playing to find bugs, exploits, and problems, we’re playing because we want to WIN.

I’ll post what got done in our first week of work here. To keep the conversation smaller, I’ll be posting future weeks over in Dev Plus section!

Changes for week one of the PVP Team of NINJAS:

Enable PVP!!!!!
Spell/ability interruption - Definable concentration length for spells followed by execute length. For spells that cannot be interrupted, the concentration length is zero and the execute length is the casting time
Made moving/emotes/jumping interrupt spell/skills if movement occurs during concentration time
Player no longer turns to face target if they are out of range
Fix so only one spell/ability can be cast at a time
Fix for collider when player is dead so dead things are easier to click on
Correctly sync other player’s health
Add variable cast lengths
Updated network messages to properly show stat effects
Updates so party members can be attacked
Update faction system to handle players attacking other players
Made it so you can target yourself
F1 targets yourself. F2-F6 targets party members.
Pressing alt while using an ability makes it cast on yourself without losing your current target
Targeting now breaks at long range
If you don’t have a target and you get attacked, the attacker is auto targetted
Your current target shows up with name, health, focus on your screen. (likely will pull focus off)
Combat logging and metrics parsing (confirmed, everyone uses fireball way too much!)
Remove character effects on death
Restore full focus on resurrection (this needs eval)
You can now click on party member UI on screen to target them
Fixed emotes so they can’t be used when dead. (Duh! but was fun confusing people)
Hotbar icons now grey out if target is not in range
Added cool down timer to hotbar icons (Greys out and then fills with color with a clock motion)
Show healthbars for all players if name plates are on
Weapon stat tuning
Added “Whisper” and “Invite to party” to right click player menu
Added a very basic character stats window
Tweaks for wand/staff mana use
Fix for Root spell. (It was making the players move at -100X their speed due to mix up on due to not knowing something was normalized vs percent. This was a fun bug.)
Creation of and optimization of castle arena basement for use as test PVP space

For those wondering, the PVP/Combat ninjas are B “Bzus” [Brandon Cotton], Justin [Gilbert] “Oneandonly”, and Ken [Pfile] “Burning Toad”. I’m cracking the whip on the ninjas and helping direct them but don’t have time to do enough real “Ninja” work to claim a ninja title. Starr, Richard, and a few others are also joining in on PVP conversations to sanity check our decisions as always.

This week we’ll probably get more into the details and start fixing some specific skills and making sure every skill has a purpose! Dev Plus people can look forward to more detailed posts on this topic in the coming weeks!

As always, thanks for reading my wordy post!

Chris "Dippy Dragon" Spears

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
Does anyone plan on playing during the beta in 2 days or whatever? Just picked this up out of pure nostalgia for UO. Hope it doesn't suck rear end!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I will never believe anything from him after the day of getting the pc gamer cd with the Ultima online 2 teaser only to find out it was never coming out. Tab target space game shooter sucked balls also.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

I will never believe anything from him after the day of getting the pc gamer cd with the Ultima online 2 teaser only to find out it was never coming out. Tab target space game shooter sucked balls also.

UO2 looked pretty neat for the time, but to be fair it was cancelled by EA not Garriot. The downfall of the space game shooter seemed fairly political also. Garriot has his heart in the right place but he's a bit like Molyneux and gets carried away by his own hype.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
Yeah I promised myself I'd never buy another Garriott game after Tabula Rasa but apparently NCSoft made him pretty disinterested in the project and he was only a consultant or something like that in the first place. Maybe by giving him some freedom and going back to his roots of an Ultima-style game the game won't be a piece of poo poo?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Maybe he'll bring back the virtue test!

Having a personality test determine your class is pretty neato.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So I bought in now that PVP Release 8 is out this weekend. It's definitely a pre-alpha, but I am having fun. I never played UO, but it reminds me a lot of the early days of Asheron's Call. Quests aren't obvious, and don't hold your hand at all. Exploring actually feels like exploring because the game isn't bombarding you with information about every little thing.

I've managed to completed a few quests and I have yet to earn any experience from the quests or NPC kills. I started with a bunch of skill points and the skill trees aren't complete so I assuming the leveling system isn't actually implemented yet and the granted skill points are a placeholder. Haven't tried PVP yet. The random deck of skills combat system is very interesting, I haven't quite figured it out yet though.

Edit: There is a link I found somewhere on the homepage that takes you to the Alienware site where you can clink a link to go back to the SotA site and will be credited $20 so you can get access for $25. I doubt it's worth even that to most, but if you want to experience that 1998 MMO feeling it is worth it. I think it's actually the current state of the game rather than the design that makes it feel that way at this point.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 25, 2014

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

D-Pad posted:

So I bought in now that PVP Release 8 is out this weekend. It's definitely a pre-alpha, but I am having fun. I never played UO, but it reminds me a lot of the early days of Asheron's Call. Quests aren't obvious, and don't hold your hand at all. Exploring actually feels like exploring because the game isn't bombarding you with information about every little thing.

I've managed to completed a few quests and I have yet to earn any experience from the quests or NPC kills. I started with a bunch of skill points and the skill trees aren't complete so I assuming the leveling system isn't actually implemented yet and the granted skill points are a placeholder. Haven't tried PVP yet. The random deck of skills combat system is very interesting, I haven't quite figured it out yet though.

Edit: There is a link I found somewhere on the homepage that takes you to the Alienware site where you can clink a link to go back to the SotA site and will be credited $20 so you can get access for $25. I doubt it's worth even that to most, but if you want to experience that 1998 MMO feeling it is worth it. I think it's actually the current state of the game rather than the design that makes it feel that way at this point.

It's worth It for 25$, you get the game at release for that price.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Jerry Garcia's Ghost posted:

It's worth It for 25$, you get the game at release for that price.

I picked up the game but really don't know what to do. Is there a starting guide anywhere?

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

joebob posted:

I picked up the game but really don't know what to do. Is there a starting guide anywhere?

Try the SotA forums

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Release 9 is ready to go. Tons of more skills added to the game.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Anyone playing this? How is it?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Wanted to bump this to say I'm at dragoncon and got to meet lord British and Starr Long and the game actually looks pretty neat

It absolutely has that Richard Garriott feel of attention to detail in sort of eccentric ways that I thought made Ultima so interesting.

As part of a 2 hour thing about the game he spent 15 minutes talking about nutrition and his plans to make cooking and eating important in the game for instance.

Anyway given how many people are into anything that claims to be the next UO or whatever I'm surprised more people here aren't into this since it's literally the same two main guys making it.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

Stefan Prodan posted:

Wanted to bump this to say I'm at dragoncon and got to meet lord British and Starr Long and the game actually looks pretty neat

It absolutely has that Richard Garriott feel of attention to detail in sort of eccentric ways that I thought made Ultima so interesting.

As part of a 2 hour thing about the game he spent 15 minutes talking about nutrition and his plans to make cooking and eating important in the game for instance.

Anyway given how many people are into anything that claims to be the next UO or whatever I'm surprised more people here aren't into this since it's literally the same two main guys making it.

The combat and graphics blow, which is probably why no one has been talking about it. Not to mention both of those devs are unknown to today's MMO audience. I could definitely see myself getting immersed in the game, but it needs some serious refinement.

E: I will say that this game has the community it needs to thrive. Everyone I met was nice and actually talked in main cities. It didn't feel devoid of actual life.

zwdzk fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 1, 2014

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh that's too bad about the combat, the deck thing sounded interesting when they were describing it. What's the matter with it?

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Take into consideration that there have only been a handful of playable versions so far, and combat has only been in the past few. Things are likely to change. It might still be lovely, but it's early now.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

The OP would be remiss without this Shroud of the Avatar Rap Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGyJ9fmsqqc

Slightly disgusted by the worship this "Lord British" character seems to be receiving. I'll keep an eye on it and hope for an actual RPG, but the first hint of quest arrows and I'm gone. It is slightly baffling how rough this game looks when Camelot Unchained; with a similar budget is looking much more visually impressive.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
From the presentations I saw they said a couple times that they graphics that are in there now are mostly just unity store assets that they wanted to use temporarily because they wanted to get something playable out as fast as possible so they could have the longest timeline of actual gameplay tweaks and balancing and that the art would either be made brand new or at least improved a lot before actual release.

They said their whole philosophy with this game was to be played by testers and get comments as soon as possible, and just hope people could keep in mind that it's far from a finished product and they said they wanted to take the risk of people not being able to judge it for that for the reward of being able to get lots more feedback early in the process.

Both of them were super nice guys, I got to talk to Starr for like 20 mins after one of the presentations and just nerd out about UO and it was pretty great.

Again I don't wanna sound like I'm going into this as just a complete fanboy, I have no idea if they'll be able to pull off all the things they talked about or if it will be good, but I'm pretty hopeful after seeing them talk about it, they have good ideas and are obviously doing this from a place of genuinely trying to innovate again instead of just going back to the well for more money in the genre they invented.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
I think this game is worth keeping an eye on. From the R8 alpha I played the game really gave me an old school UO vibe to it. A lot of things a still very rough but even still the movement felt very fluid and there looked like lots of room to grow. The deck system was also kind of an interesting take on the no class/skill only system that UO had back in the day. It'll be interesting to see where they take it.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Chunjee posted:

I'll keep an eye on it and hope for an actual RPG, but the first hint of quest arrows and I'm gone.

As the guy who works on that system I can say conclusively there will never be quest arrows ever.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Wow and now Lum the Mad is posting here, why are all the famous people from my high school gaming life showing up again all of a sudden

That's awesome that you're working on it, I used to read your site every day and liked all the discussions of MMO design and such.

Also, I remember the huge thing on your forums about Horizons and got a huge laugh when I found out from the Pantheon thread here that that game had actually come out at all.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Lum_ posted:

As the guy who works on that system I can say conclusively there will never be quest arrows ever.

:lol:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Stefan Prodan posted:

Wow and now Lum the Mad is posting here, why are all the famous people from my high school gaming life showing up again all of a sudden

Because they couldn't get work doing anything else :v:

Lum_ posted:

All quest arrows have been replaced by puppies running around the npc's feet.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

All quest arrows have been replaced by puppies running around the npc's feet.

KITTENS dammit

(and yeah, I post here often, just usually in threads about grognardy strategy games)

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Lum_ posted:

KITTENS dammit

(and yeah, I post here often, just usually in threads about grognardy strategy games)
:D I miss the good old days of UO where you could have like 10 cats following you around.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Lum_ posted:

KITTENS dammit

I would pay good money for a game with this feature.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Please give Dr. Twister and all the WTFMan guys a job doing PR for this product.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Why. Just. Why.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

:lol:

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Sigh, I gave $80 during Kickstarter because he gave me Ultima Online. At least I'm a Royal Founder or something like that.

I have yet to try the game.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

This game is already dead :smith:

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Freakazoid_ posted:

This game is already dead :smith:

I feel like it's important to not let the public see a game when it's this ugly. I know they said they will replace the placeholder graphics but I got the email about pvp being added and watched the embedded video showing it off. I didn't make it to the pvp. I watched about 6 seconds of the terrible run animation and closed the window.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I decided not to donate when I saw the pledged amount skyrocket to 450k within a few days. May I remind you that the initial goal of British was to raise just 1 million to create this game.

Now he's asking for 500k just to make rowboats and pointy ear models and llamas?

Too bad that old bitch is following the example of star citizen

Star citizen. I am so much looking forward to its release. This game will undoubtedly become a goon playground once its out.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
Alienware has a coupon that lets you get in for $25 instead of $45. You don't have to sign up for anything. I paid that, if only to thank Garriot for UO. Best game I ever played :patriot:

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I pledge $165 to get the two sequels or follow up episodes or whatever they are included.

LB is a major influence in my love of RPGs and addiction to MMOs. I'm going to grab those creepy rat tails of his and ride to the gates of hell with him on this one.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

So much whinging for a game that is still clearly (and well stated) in development. It looks ugly because it's not optimized with placeholder graphics. If this game launch isn't successful because of that attitude toward the process then I give up on gamers as a whole. Devs just can't win.

"I WANT MORE INCLUSION IN THE DEVELOPMENT PROCESS."
"OH THIS EARLY ACCESS BUILD LOOKS poo poo I WANT MY MONEY BACK."

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
You can't buy early access games and expect them to be good. If you want a good game buy games that are out and are already proven to be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Carol Pizzamom posted:

You can't buy early access games and expect them to be good. If you want a good game buy games that are out and are already proven to be good

games don't release anymore they stay in early access until the dev drops the project entirely 2 years later

• Locked thread