Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Tunga posted:

How does the Snapdragon 400 compare to, well, anything else? I'm not aware of that chip being used elsewhere.

It's a faster version of the S4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Kafka Esq. posted:

I wish Anandtech would just release their drat review of the N5 already. Those accidental battery times look too good to be true and I wonder how they did it.

I've seen a few tests now which use standard battery tests and the numbers pretty much look like those of the HTC One, maybe a bit better depending on the task. Not great, not worrisome, just plain average. It draws more power on average (especially when idling) than a LG G2 or Samsung Note 3 with a smaller battery in basically every task except full load/full brightness.
For example the test at Notebookcheck.com (no English translation yet unfortunately) puts the N4 at 8h, the S4 at 8h, the HTC One at 10h, the Note 3 at 18h and the G2 at 17h in their "load a website every 40 seconds at 150 cd/m2 screen brightness (a bit low for reality for my taste). The N5 manages 12h.

The most disappointing thing for me in the linked test are the decidedly average flash storage performance numbers. Average for last year, that is.

Decius fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 17, 2013

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah, dude. I love my phone but I really feel like the speed at which it can write things to storage is holding me back.

Storage write speed limits for example when you try shooting high-speed video or pictures at a high fps, no reason for your sarcasm. It's of course more visible with something like the Nokia 1020 with its 41 MP-pictures, but doesn't mean it's no issue elsewhere.
Read speed of course when loading big files or many small files.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

bull3964 posted:

Interesting. As expected, the Moto X doesn't have GEL with 4.4. It DOES, however, have the transparent notification and button areas. These are lacking on the Nexus 7 2013 and Nexus 10 (and I presume the Nexus 4.)

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/19/video-hands-on-with-moto-x-android-4-4-kit-kat/

The Nexus 7 at least has the APIs for the transparent stuff, Action Launcher already uses them (and I guess Nova too).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Combat Pretzel posted:

Google needs to start to get their poo poo together. All these wakelock issues are getting really annoying. Other companies in the business of writing operating systems and related services put their code through heavy longterm automated unit testing to find and prevent issues like this. With Google it seems more like shipping as soon it compiles.

Now, we've seen similar issues with battery life after updates with iOS and WP8. Or the new Surface 2, which got an update because of similar issues a short time ago. Yeah, they should get their poo poo together, but it's not like the others are much better. Google just updates the Play Service/Framework so often such errors creep in more often.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mu Zeta posted:

Doesn't the Moto G have a crappy screen?

For a 200 dollar phone, no, it's more than acceptable. Compared to a HTC One or even a N5 sure, it's not nearly as good.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I've been only using my N5 since Friday (Stormtrooper edition), but I can't complain about battery life yet:

Sure beats the hell out of the Samsung Galaxy S2 it replaces, which was down to about 17h (with the bigger 2000 mAh battery) in the end.

Also in all other regards I am incredibly happy with the phone, even the things criticized (camera, sound) turned out to still be a lot better (camera) or at least equal (volume) than with my old phone, except the slow focus of the camera. I hope Google can really fix this with a software update.

It looks plain, but feels very comfortable in the hand, even with the slightly increased size over my old phone. The white back isn't soft touch by the way (haven't seen this one said in many reviews), but a matte, slightly rough plastic. Different but still very comfortable and not taking on any finger prints. The sides of the phone are slightly glossy, unlike the black N5.

Going from 800x480 to 1920x1080 resolution is nothing short of incredible, nearly as great as the first time I saw the screen of my iPad Retina or Macbook Pro Retina. Still miss the perfect blacks, but the N5 is very near what my old AMOLED managed.

And I never thought wireless charging would be this comfortable.

Decius fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 25, 2013

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

big mean giraffe posted:

It only has 1gb of RAM though, which is really gonna make it chug on multitasking, especially if you get Chrome anywhere near it.

As others have said, it's not really an issue. Until last week I had a Samsung Galaxy S2 and did just fine with 1 GB, even with 10 tabs in Chrome. It's absolutely not like my old iPad 2 (512 MB), which drove me crazy with all its tab reloading in Safari if you dared to switch to anything else.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Anyone know what "sensors.qcom" is, which some days takes up to 15 % of my battery power (especially if I don't use my phone much over the day) on my Nexus 5? I'd guess something to do with Qualcomm from the name, but googling doesn't bring up much either:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

r0ck0 posted:

This is the "pedometer" at the end of the month or so you should get a google card for your activity. This sensor is used to keep track of how much you walk. You will be able to dismiss it when you get the card popup. I doubt you will truly be able to disable the sensor doing that since google wants to know how many steps it takes to get into your heart. Also it appears to be inaccurate or at least surprising, it said I walked 30 miles in a week. I feel that is incorrect at counting steps. Mine does not use nearly as much CPU as your screenshot. I am also using piro meter: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.danielpiro.pirometer

Thanks, I did indeed get a card - apparently I walked 30 miles last month too (which might even be accurate).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Nexus 5 camera becomes useable with 4.4.1: http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/5/5175568/fixing-the-nexus-5-android-4-4-1-improves-camera

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Anandtech finally managed to finish their Nexus 5 review: http://anandtech.com/show/7517/google-nexus-5-review

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Does anyone else have pretty bad reception with the N5? Where my Samsung Galaxy S II managed H/3G indoors my N5 struggles to get Edge, sometimes even only GPRS. Outside it's better, but still worse than before. European bands if that's any difference.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Android L really needs a "dismiss all" button for Notifications again. Installing 200 Apps was a bit of a pain. Also, give me back Widgets on the Lockscreen (but better implemented), I want Chronus's quick and easy weather/information setup back. Notifications as they are now are really limited, especially if you set an unlocking method other than swipe. Otherwise L very nice, fast, responsive and stylish.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Pro Tip: Never put your phone next to a strong magnet for a extended period of time, even if you have high fever and are riding on pain medication. It will gently caress up the sensor, screen and apparently touch recognition. Goodbye trusty Nexus 5, hello tide-me-over-to-the-Nexus-6 refurbished Moto G.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

mfcrocker posted:

This is what I'm also interested in. I'm looking at getting rid of my stuttering S3 and am concerned that the N6 (which I could wait for) is going to be way too loving big

Yes, the Nexus 5 is still a great, great phone. It's an amazing package for the price. Great screen, very fast (and until the Snapdragon 810 arrives in the mainstream I don't see it getting in any performance issues at all), getting updates immediately - or even before like with Android L -, comfortable to hold. The wireless charging is incredibly practical and once you are used to it you feel like coming back into the Stone Age plugging in a device to charge. Battery is small, but it lasted me easily 2 days (especially with Android L), even 3 days if I didn't use the phone much.

Only thing I would criticize is the camera, which is ok after the update that fixed the speed, but it's not great. Does it's job though. And the speaker is tinny and nothing like what the M8 shows speakers could sound like.

I wouldn't even have thought about getting a new phone this year if I hadn't destroyed my Nexus 5, and even then I had to think long and hard not to spend 300 € on another one instead of waiting for the new batch of phones (mostly the Nexus 6) during Holiday season and make do with a cheaper phone in the meantime.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Size is ok, specs are good, looks really, really nice. But that battery... Why not just give it 2600 mAh? Can't be that much of a physical size difference. Still, really tempting package. Let's see what Google brings out later this year.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Reverse Centaur posted:

I just don't understand why they dropped USB 3.0. It's great.

The current Micro-USB 3.0 plug is poo poo and the new C-version wasn't ready/finalized until two weeks ago. I'm sure we will see the superior C-version used with the next batch of phones in Spring.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

RZA Encryption posted:

Just chiming in to say that the moto x is still the best android phone you can buy. Still works perfectly and I never have to mess with it.

Thermopyle posted:

When I first got my Moto X I was completely satisfied with the battery life. 20-30% left after 16 hours. Recently it had gotten to the point where I'd sometimes have to charge it during the day. A factory reset a few days ago got me back to 20-30% at end of day.

Thought I'd share that for anyone having degraded battery life on their phones.

Also, you people complaining about the X battery life need to stop fiddling with your phones so much!

I got my Moto X that replaces my broken Nexus 5 (after the Moto G from Amazon's Warehouse deal arrived with a dead USB port and was sent back) last week and I'm very happy with it for the price. Not quite as fast as the Nexus 5, but still plenty fast in all Apps except maybe high-end games which I don't play anyways. No stutter, lag or moments where I feel it struggling.
Feels a lot smaller than the Nexus (screen is noticeably smaller too though) and nicer in the hand and pocket - the Nexus 5 never was a problem to carry either though. 4.7" and still smaller than my old SGS 2 - very nice indeed. 720p don't look worse than 1080p either to me. Getting used to "OK Google Now" instead of "OK Google" is a pain though, as is getting on without QI charging.
Camera isn't anything to write home about, but the Nexus one wasn't great either. Speaker on the other hand is a lot better than the Nexus 5 one.

Can't complain about the battery life either - currently (new battery after all) about as good or better than the - admittedly not extremely impressive - Nexus 5. With my usage pattern I get about 40h out of a charge with about 2.5h SOT. Could see it being an issue if you use your smartphone a lot more than me though.

All in all a really good phone for something a year old with average specs even when it was released back then, at least for the 250 € it costs now.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's the mean time between statue and Nexus reveal? Given that they've been shuffling the old ones around to make space for something.

--edit:
Also, this better stay a rumor, because :suicide:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nexus-5-2014-benchmarks-leak-reveal-Android-5.0-Lion-surprise_id60420

Looks incredibly fake, especially since many "leaks" from this website (EMTLeaks) have turned out as fake in the past. 1440p and 12 MP camera (which no other Smartphone uses) don't really lend it credibility either.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Stick100 posted:

I'm tempted to drop my Developer Edition X for a new Moto G if the reviews come out as I expect (insane battery life, everything else meh). I really want battery life but the only solution besides swapping batteries was the old G or LG G2. I don't think I could live with the G2 after several generations of Nexus. Only thing I think I might miss is LTE but HSPA/+ always seemed fine to me.

The Moto G (2014) is not the phone to get for outstanding batttery life:

However, that graph puts the fears about the new Moto X-battery life to rest (at least for me). A bit worse than the Nexus 5, which was perfectly fine for my needs in this regard.

Also performance of the Moto X (2014) looks good:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/09/review-the-new-moto-g-doesnt-change-much-but-still-a-steal-at-179/2/

Decius fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 9, 2014

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

LastInLine posted:

Since you can't get good fingerprint sensors unless you're Apple, Google and Motorola in particular are relying on trusted devices to do what it would do.

Apparently the Huawei Mate 7 fingerprint sensor is a new development from a Swedish company that beats the poo poo out of the Apple sensor in terms of recognition quality (at least that's what people who could test it at IFA claim). And you don't need to press a button, just hold your finger over the sensor on the back.

Manky posted:

I wanted to add wireless charging to my Moto G because I still have an Anker pad from my N4 days. I picked up this universal qi receiver from Fasttech. It actually fits between the phone and backplate of my mpero snapz case and charges just fine through it, pretty nice. Still planning the best way to add a charging pad to my car.

If you're handy with a soldering iron there are several guides how to solder a QI-charging circuit above the battery and beneath the snap-on back, no extra case needed.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

1. Don't believe it until you see it in production. Apple's TouchID works incredibly well, and every update to the software has made it better and faster.
2. Don't trust cheap Chinese OEMs with your fingerprints.
3. The seamless UX of having the sensor on the home button is what makes TouchID great.

Never said you should give your fingerprints to Huawei, just that Huawei demonstrated a third-party fingerprint sensor that reportedly is better at doing that fingerprint sensoring stuff than the Apple one.
I wouldn't buy a phone with a home button anymore, it's bad enough that I have to deal with it on my iPad, so that UX wouldn't be something I want.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Celot posted:

I broke my iPhone 5s on the 9th, and I need to get a new phone. Was just gonna get a 6 in an hour.

I've always used iPhones, but droids are starting to look good enough to draw me away.

The advantages of the iPhone are the familiarity, battery life, airplay, the screen durability, iTunes, and the ability to use it as remote for my apple TV right?

If you remove battery life and iTunes, add integration with other Apple devices and support by App makers and hardware makers to your list you aren't far off.
With Android on the other hand you get the integration with Google services, better voice assist/search, the ability to peek deeper into the innards of the system/tinker with it, configurable and flexible UI/launcher, free/cheap games via Humble Bundle, wide variety of devices and device makers (with all the pros and cons that entails) and thus options like SD card support, wireless charging, removable batteries, exchangeable backs, huge/tiny phones, pen support and similar stuff that might or might not be important to you.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FogHelmut posted:

Are you arguing Google should do this? Or arguing that iPhones are better?

It is really embarrassing that Android is now 6 years old and still has no full and configurable backup system in place that allows you to retain whatever you want from your old phone without resorting into rooting and unlocking. I don't like iTunes either and think it should be split from all the Device-management stuff, which also isn't great (I haven't managed to use WiFi to transfer anything to my iPad in months), but at least it's there and works for most people well enough to not really care about getting a new version of the iPhone/iPad, because it does what it is supposed to do.

Oh, and yeah, that driver situation on Windows (and partly Mac) is also a real joke. To get my Nexus 5 running I had to install 6 different versions, and in the end had to resort in the lowest category (some kind of Naked Drivers).

Decius fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 12, 2014

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Funny how neither the Note 4 nor the iPhone 6+ show their protruding camera in the sideshot.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

TraderStav posted:

Hello, my next phone.

This bad boy even has an FM radio?! I've been wondering why phones haven't had these in them yet. ANT+ support too. This thing is crazy awesome.

Nearly all phones, especially those meant for the developing markets, have FM radios. They are often deactivated for the US market for license reasons.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

tractor fanatic posted:

So speaking of battery, how good is it now in modern smartphones, Android and Apple? If I were to drive around town, moving in and out of different tower ranges, but only having the screen on for an hour or less, can I expect multi-day standby times out of a Nexus 5 or an iPhone 5s? I've only had my Galaxy Nexus and right now with the same usage pattern it's dead by the end of a 12 hour day.

Doing nothing on the phone, basically acting as featurephone with a Twitter, Mail and Message receiver added I got about 60h out of my Nexus 5 and 50+h out of my Moto X, both not exactly hailed as long-runners. It's very dependent on the connection quality, but generally you can operate this way a weekend, even more with phones with bigger batteries.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

-Blackadder- posted:

Well I was waiting for the new Moto X, but now that I see people having second thoughts due to battery life I'm not sure what to get.

What other options are there out there? I'm on verizon and my contract is up.

I see people talking about the Sony z3 compact, but that the z3c doesn't have some of the neat things the Moto X has? What would I be losing from the new Moto X if I went with the z3c instead?

Every review yet said that the Moto X (2014) has a slightly to moderately (ArsTechnica has it 18 % better in their rundown-test) better battery life than the Moto X (2013) and that's before it getting Android L. I get - depending on how heavy I use it - 20-50h out of my Moto X (2013). Even with heavy use (> 4h SoT) I never had an issue with having to charge before going to bed. Maybe if you spend your whole day on your phone exclusively you have to charge it twice a day - but that's something you even have to do with a Note then. Admittedly my Moto X is pretty new.

The Z3 Compact looks like a really good phone, no idea if they change it to work on Verizon though. Verizon only confirmed the big Z3 (as Z3v) yet.
You would lose all the Motorola stuff, Active Notifications, Active Profiles, Active Voice and so on. The customization and awesome hand-molding form (personally I think the Sony looks nice but a) I hate glass backs and b) it doesn't look comfortable in the hand - but that's might just be on the pictures c) I hate lids on ports). It has a 0.6 inches smaller screen which might be good/bad depending on how you fall on the phone size spectrum. 720p vs. 1080p, although it doesn't matter much at this screen size. The update record of Sony is spotty - they just announced that they won't make good on their promise to update some not-so-old Xperia phones. Their third-party developer support itself is top-notch though, second only to Google.

On the other hand you get a better battery life (smaller screen, smaller resolution, bigger battery), a better camera (Sony knows how to treat their own sensors), water proofing (even if it is annoying) and a very slick looking, compact phone.

Decius fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 14, 2014

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Is the Moto X camera as bad as people are making it out to be? My issue with my current camera is that it is really slow and almost all of my pictures turn out blurry. I'm no professional photographer, but having my pictures in focus and not missing moments due to shutter lag would be great.

It's apparently not top of the crowd for high-end-smartphones, it's not bottom either. It's just mediocre of the price. The comparison pictures from the various reviews look fine enough. It's just nothing that's setting them apart or making you say "that's a great photo". It's hard to judge how the camera will be once Android L and the new APIs hit. The hardware of basically all Android phones is fine, HTC's 4-MP-camera aside, (similar Sony sensors, similar lenses) - unlike the last Moto X, where the camera hardware wasn't very good - , I think it's mostly the software implementation that's holding them back.

ijyt posted:

That super fast battery charging can't be good for the max cycles, surely?

Thought so to. Apparently fast-charging is only damaging to the battery chemistry if it is done to the last 20-30 %. The Qualcomm solution only allows fast-charging up to 60 %, which should theoretically be fine. Something we can only really say once it's used widely for a year or two. If they allowed you to easily swap batteries yourself it wouldn't be an issue, 30 bucks after a year or two for a brand new battery? No problem.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What phones did they say they'd update and now won't? What third party developer support do you mean?

Xperia L, M, C and SP. All phones that launched in early 2013 (not top-of-the-line admittedly), so not very long ago, with 4.1 or 4.2. None of them will receive updates above 4.3, which is a pretty scummy and reminiscent of Samsung of 2010-2012. I'm sure they will treat the flagship Z-line better though.

Third party developer support - they make their sources available, they actively support and help ROM/Recovery-developers, they allow you easy bootloader and root-access. If you want to tinker with your phone or want to switch to a CustomROM, Sony is a good choice at the moment (but as with Sony's PS3 and Linux, such things might not be forever).

Decius fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 15, 2014

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

vyst posted:

• Samsung Galaxy S5
    Cons:
    • TouchWiz
    • Touchwiz
    • Touchwiz

- Buttons implemented the opposite way of how Google defines it. Also gently caress mixing softouch with physical buttons. That's a really spergy complaint, but it bugs me to no end.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Require More Fire posted:

So Droid Life posted an article about how the battery on the 2014 Moto X is "average to slightly below-average". That's disappointing to hear.

Arstechnica and GSMArena both have it about 20 % better than the Moto X (2013) battery, not outstanding, but my Moto X lasts me for 24-32h (depending on use). 20 % more than that isn't something that would make me hesitate to buy it, but that's with my use case.

It's also about the value the iPhone 5S and Nexus 5 got.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The Nexus 5 has exactly the same (real or perceived - I didn't have issues on neither the N5 nor the Moto X (2013), but I don't spend 5h a day glued to my phone) battery issues the Moto X (2014) has, as it does manage in all reviews about the same numbers in battery life the Nexus 5 manages. Also, bad speaker, and the same camera woes the Moto X has. But it has QI charging, which counts for a lot (gently caress the manufacturers for not adopting it more widely - at least Nokia tries).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

mango sentinel posted:

Change and super flat UI elements frighten me.

Also the new notification drop down seems it might be a mess, but I'd have to use it to tell for real.

It's not super flat, that's the great thing about it. Holo, iOS 8 and WP 8.1 all have gone too flat, making it at time really tedious and slow to differentiate UI elements and content. Material Design and L go a step back and reintroduce some form of third dimension, without making it look tacky. Going back from Android L on my Nexus 5 to 4.4.4 on my Moto X and iOS 8 on my iPad really drives home how much better the new design is compared to these two (which are both not bad in the first place).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
So much for the new Moto X for me it seems. I could deal - even welcome - the bigger screen and device size, the performance looks very good and I love the features of my Moto X (2013), but these regressions in most battery tests except the LTE one aren't acceptable. That's simply something that's embarrassing. You sure as hell can design a well-handling smartphone with a curved back and put in a decent battery. LG has shown it. A similar battery life like the old Moto X would be acceptable to me, a lower one is not.
The display that's worse in some respects except resolution and the better but still lacking camera aren't helping Motorola's case, even if they aren't dealbreakers for me.

drat, I hope the new Nexus is really, really good, because slowly I start eying the Note 4 and the iPhone 6(+), and that's not a path I want to go down.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The latest Youtube-App/Play Service update removed it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

myron cope posted:

I want the Moto X2 but that Anandtech review now has me worried. Really the only thing that matters is LTE and not-terrible battery life. The phone does sound really nice even with the super in-depth review finding the problems it did. The Nexus 6 is probably going to be similar in features/size and probably cheaper too, right? (Obviously we know nothing about it for sure yet, but just given history it's going to be somewhat similar if not better) The Moto X looks drat good (design-wise) but I don't know. For the money I'd probably just be better off waiting for the Nexus. Plus my N4 is doing better now that I don't have Facebook on there, but the USB port is probably dying and it's easier to sell a phone upgrade to my wife when my current phone is actually broken vs working ok.

Do you use the screen of your phone more than 3h a day? Do you have to go more than 24h without being able to charge your phone? Then you might run into troubles with a Moto X. Otherwise the battery life is probably perfectly fine. We do bitch about terrible battery life, but let's not forget, just a year or two ago the Moto X numbers would have been in line with the high-end crowd:

It's just that we've made a huge leap in battery life 2013/2014 that the Moto X numbers simply don't cut it compared to other phones. Because that's what's possible in the same size class with a decent battery:

It's annoying and stupid that Motorola put form over such an important function, but it's not like the phone has an unworkable battery life. It's just in comparison to today's standard it's decidedly mediocre. Which only really matters if you regularly out and about for more than 18-24h without recharging. If that's never a problem and the other features of the Moto X - which are plenty and really good ones - are enough while the other drawbacks (average camera, uncalibrated screen) aren't something you care too strongly about, the Moto X is something you should still consider.

Nexus phones traditionally had three bad spots: battery life, camera and sound. The Moto X at least has a very good sound. I wouldn't really bet too much on the next Nexus doing much better than the Moto X on the other two points unfortunately.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

So it kind of sucks that the new Moto X doesn't have wireless charging or a replaceable battery. If some poo poo goes down like this a year down the road, I'm SOL.

You usually can replace batteries with phones where the user can't access the battery, but only through the manufacturer service. For a pretty dime, making it often not worth it. But it's not that the battery isn't replaceable, it's just not user replaceable, unlike Samsung, where you buy one for 10-30 dollar, pop it in and be happy.

Or attempt it yourself with a iFixit guide, but if you aren't skilled it probably ends badly.

Decius fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 18, 2014

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Endless Mike posted:

It's good that Android gives you the freedom to choose from multiple bad options.

It's not like everything is sunshine and rainbows at Apple or MS either. Just less alternatives for things you don't like or miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="435024292"]
What? Why?

Google finally said why they removed the widget: Not enough people using it: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...t-apk-download/

• Locked thread