Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Decius posted:

Anyone know what "sensors.qcom" is, which some days takes up to 15 % of my battery power (especially if I don't use my phone much over the day) on my Nexus 5? I'd guess something to do with Qualcomm from the name, but googling doesn't bring up much either:

This is the "pedometer" at the end of the month or so you should get a google card for your activity. This sensor is used to keep track of how much you walk. You will be able to dismiss it when you get the card popup. I doubt you will truly be able to disable the sensor doing that since google wants to know how many steps it takes to get into your heart. Also it appears to be inaccurate or at least surprising, it said I walked 30 miles in a week. I feel that is incorrect at counting steps. Mine does not use nearly as much CPU as your screenshot. I am also using piro meter: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.danielpiro.pirometer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Motorola prices are working now but you cannot check out yet.

quote:

You cannot checkout with a Moto X right now.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

As long as we're on this topic, does the Moto X/Ultra/Maxx low power motion processor work with 4.4's new motion tracking APIs?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Can someone link me to the off-contract moto maker. Googling only gets me the on-contract maker and a bunch of news stories because their recency bias is poo poo nowadays

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Elotana posted:

Can someone link me to the off-contract moto maker. Googling only gets me the on-contract maker and a bunch of news stories because their recency bias is poo poo nowadays

https://www.motorola.com/us/motomaker?pid=FLEXR1#exterior/backplate

Once you get to the "choose carrier" part, just choose T-mobile, as it is the same as buying it off contract.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Elotana posted:

There is only one moto maker. You select on or off contract after you build it.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Just bought the Moto X Developer Edition for the sale price, it's live now

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Gold and a Pager posted:

https://www.motorola.com/us/motomaker?pid=FLEXR1#exterior/backplate

Once you get to the "choose carrier" part, just choose T-mobile, as it is the same as buying it off contract.
Won't that get me a GSM phone rather than a CDMA?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Elotana posted:

Won't that get me a GSM phone rather than a CDMA?

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.motorola.com/us/shop-all-mobile-phones-1/Moto-X-Developer-Edition-Verizon/moto-x-developer-edition-verizon.html

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

Just bought the Moto X Developer Edition for the sale price, it's live now

It keeps telling me that I cannot checkout the Moto X right now.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
I think it's only the developer editions that people have been successful with so far.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

No, that's the 32GB dev edition, I'm looking for the customizable 16GB edition for Verizon

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Then there should be an option to choose what sort of contract you want when you choose Verizon.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

FogHelmut posted:

It keeps telling me that I cannot checkout the Moto X right now.

From slick deals: "The motomaker ones don't seem to be live yet, just the dev edition"

You getting the moto maker version?

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.
Just bought a developer edition Moto X for $399.99 so it is working now.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

From slick deals: "The motomaker ones don't seem to be live yet, just the dev edition"

You getting the moto maker version?

The moto maker version I want is effectively a dev edition, but I don't like the dev edition backplate.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Motomaker is back up. Good luck.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

quote:

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but your request couldnt be processed correctly.

I should just get an ugly dev edition.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Got the same message, now Motomaker is down again

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Getting this again

quote:

You cannot checkout with a Moto X right now.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Shut up about the Moto maker site, already.

This is worse than the endless parade of,
"OMG my Nexus 5 shipped!

"Mine hasn't!" :ohdear:

"Mine did!: :haw:

Edit: Actual content!

I just updated my Dev edition HTC One to 4.4. I use Themer for my launcher...is there any way yo get the transparent notification bar doing this? I don't see an option in Themer, and I'm wondering if it's even possible at all on a One, or if that's something that HTC decided to remove/change for Sense.

Second edit: Well, their forums say they are "considering it." So looks like I have to go Nova Launcher if I want transparent bar.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 2, 2013

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Alternatively, we can move the chat to here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590469

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

r0ck0 posted:

This is the "pedometer" at the end of the month or so you should get a google card for your activity. This sensor is used to keep track of how much you walk. You will be able to dismiss it when you get the card popup. I doubt you will truly be able to disable the sensor doing that since google wants to know how many steps it takes to get into your heart. Also it appears to be inaccurate or at least surprising, it said I walked 30 miles in a week. I feel that is incorrect at counting steps. Mine does not use nearly as much CPU as your screenshot. I am also using piro meter: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.danielpiro.pirometer

Thanks, I did indeed get a card - apparently I walked 30 miles last month too (which might even be accurate).

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

DrBouvenstein posted:

Shut up about the Moto maker site, already.

This is worse than the endless parade of,
"OMG my Nexus 5 shipped!

"Mine hasn't!" :ohdear:

"Mine did!: :haw:

Edit: Actual content!

I just updated my Dev edition HTC One to 4.4. I use Themer for my launcher...is there any way yo get the transparent notification bar doing this? I don't see an option in Themer, and I'm wondering if it's even possible at all on a One, or if that's something that HTC decided to remove/change for Sense.

Second edit: Well, their forums say they are "considering it." So looks like I have to go Nova Launcher if I want transparent bar.

You can only get the transparent notification bar if you're running HTC Sense.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bronin posted:

So I gave in and RMAed my phone because of the loose power button. Well kind of. I have to wait 2-3 weeks for the new one to be shipped.

2-3 weeks is crazy for an RMA, where in the world are you? I was talking to support on Saturday this past weekend, and my replacement is shipping priority today, I'm in Canada. I have a 32GB black too, so one of the less common ones (as evident by how long my original shipping took).

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

CLAM DOWN posted:

2-3 weeks is crazy for an RMA, where in the world are you? I was talking to support on Saturday this past weekend, and my replacement is shipping priority today, I'm in Canada. I have a 32GB black too, so one of the less common ones (as evident by how long my original shipping took).

Germany. I have the 16GB black version which is 2-3 weeks if you order now... The only version that is in stock in the German Play Store right now is the 32GB in white.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
The Tylt website is working again (slowly) so you can use coupon code 50off_ty!t for 50% and get a Tylt wireless QI charger for like $35.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bronin posted:

Germany. I have the 16GB black version which is 2-3 weeks if you order now... The only version that is in stock in the German Play Store right now is the 32GB in white.

That's lame, I hope it ships sooner than expected! Was your RMA as quick and easy as mine? They didn't even ask clarifying questions or anything, and I didn't even ask for a replacement, it was just an instant "loose power button? Boom, warranty replacement".

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Lowen SoDium posted:

The Tylt website is working again (slowly) so you can use coupon code 50off_ty!t for 50% and get a Tylt wireless QI charger for like $35.

The shopping carts are taking a poo poo.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

api call girl posted:

It took me like 30 minutes to checkout, it just took forever at each step, but it did get there eventually. It will look like it has hung, just leave it for a few minutes.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Red Warrior posted:

It took me like 30 minutes to checkout, it just took forever at each step, but it did get there eventually. It will look like it has hung, just leave it for a few minutes.

They did pop up a page letting you give your email address and get the deal later... I did that.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

api call girl posted:

Yeah, everytime I add an item to the cart, it changes it - 1 black Tylt Vu becomes 7 blue ones, or 1 red, 2 black, and 1 blue, or 7 yellow, or something. Sometimes it just empties the cart.

What the everloving gently caress, this site has gone bananas.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Time for a dumb question while I wait for my N5 to arrive. How does Android (specifically vanilla) handle notifications on the homescreen compared to iOS? Does it have all those blighted little badges or is everything done through the notification centre and status bar?

KoB
May 1, 2009
All notifications are on the notification bar on the top. Unless you have 3rd party widgets on the homescreen there are no notifications there. (I assume you mean that the Gmail app would have a little "1" next to it when there are unread messages, which android does not have natively).

KoB fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 2, 2013

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's lame, I hope it ships sooner than expected! Was your RMA as quick and easy as mine? They didn't even ask clarifying questions or anything, and I didn't even ask for a replacement, it was just an instant "loose power button? Boom, warranty replacement".

Yeah it was really quick and easy. I asked them if my loose power button was a reason for RMA. They told me it was probably not gonna affect functionality but yes they have heard of it and I can get a replacement if I want. Went really smooth.

Now I just hope that the replacement won't have the same defect or even some new one.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

KoB posted:

All notifications are on the notification bar on the top. Unless you have 3rd party widgets on the homescreen there are no notifications there. (I assume you mean that the Gmail app would have a little "1" next to it when there are unread messages, which android does not have natively).

Sweet. That's what I meant, yeah.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ulvir posted:

Time for a dumb question while I wait for my N5 to arrive. How does Android (specifically vanilla) handle notifications on the homescreen compared to iOS? Does it have all those blighted little badges or is everything done through the notification centre and status bar?
The status bar indicates a notification, pulling it down shows the notification shade which is like Notification Center if it were useful. Most notifications these days are rich, meaning that not only does it display the notification but also has a couple controls pertinent to the notification (like Archive on GMail, or Reply for SMS, or a play controls for music apps). Tapping the notification leads to the app, swiping dismisses the notification, and long-pressing and pulling down can expand some notifications to view more information. Notifications can either be suggested from Now (the current weather), persistent (for something ongoing, like music playback), or event notifications like an incoming SMS. I should mention the notification shade is available even on a locked device, but I don't think it's available on a securely locked device so you just need to turn the screen on to interact with the notifications.

The homescreen itself is completely customizable. There aren't iOS/OS X style badges for anything (though third party launchers can and do incorporate them). What you can do is use widgets to provide information about things you'd want to know about. I use DashClock both on my lockscreen and homescreen which is extensible so that data I care about is presented. You can order the priority of the extensions so, say, a missed call would push weather further down and an unread SMS would push weather down further. All of this though is entirely up to you about how you'd like it to look and how you'd like the information to be pushed to you.

Of course you also have the multicolor LED to alert you to notifications waiting and using something like Light Flow you can have different colors represent different notifications.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Though I think I'll vastly prefer to keep it clean and less in-your-face than Apple does it, knowing that it can also be customised is pretty great. Thanks.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is Light Flow working well on 4.4 now? I stopped using it when I got my N5 but I kind of miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tunga posted:

Is Light Flow working well on 4.4 now? I stopped using it when I got my N5 but I kind of miss it.

Works perfectly on the Nexus 5 and 4.4.

• Locked thread