Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

When I played a Ventrue I actually rarely encountered the vomiting thing, seems it's a pretty low chance or else I got lucky.

And yeah firearms are pretty good actually but not until you hit the mid-tier. Once you are there you get lots of ways to one or two shot dudes at a distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

One of my favorite bits of oWoD fluff is the existence of Grandmother/The Grand Maw. What is it? Why does it want to eat everything? How the gently caress is it kept in check anyway? :iiam:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also Tessmage threw the final hissyfit at some point and removed the ~TRUE PATCH~ from his website so now it's basically just nude Morrowind characters.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Thesaya posted:

I played as a Malk for my first two or three playthroughs, and it was great every time. I think playing as a Malk for your first game isn't to be avoided, however, the second time through the game it is even more fun.

Also, for my first LARP char I was a Fishmalk :downsgun: :sterv:
The organisers were first time storytellers, and I was overconfident, thinking that having done DnD and play by forum was enough for me to avoid the pitfalls. I was oh so very wrong.
At the first possible opportunity, the ST's killed off all Malks and stated a rule that you had to bee involved with WoD for at least a year before you could play a Malk, Nossie or Tremere.

I still feel shame thinking about it.

Wait, why Tremere?

I'm drawing a blank on why Tremere would be a no-no for first time players. At least in the same way as a Malkavian or Nosferatu :v:

(I also have wanted to play Wraith: The Oblivion since I learned about it with a relaxed group of roleplayers who want to play a, uh, different sort of tabletop)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

OAquinas posted:

...aaaand this is another reason why crossovers suck. "I'll just drink this vial of blood my werewolf buddy gave me, hello +3 potence!"

Any competent ST would either allow it and say "it tastes terrible, and you don't get any benefit/at most it's just useful for sustenance but can't power disciplines," or allow it and make your vamp puke blood for the next 1d10 hours.

Ugh. Java chat flashbacks.

The dick gamerunner in me would make this a check of some sort where the vamp can choke it down and gain benefit at juuuuust high enough of a chance to be tempting :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

There's not much point to Humanity losses when you can just hit a button in one of the clubs and wander off to make some coffee to get it back :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ephemeron posted:

On other hand, if the Gehenna novel is of any indication, 'you lose' does not necessary equal Final Death.

(In fact, one of the characters that we'll be meeting later attacked Caine in that book and survived - Caine just knocked him out before he could do anything regrettable)

Yeah, Caine can in fact do whatever he feels like with you and may possibly be merciful if he thinks you had an okay reason or he's just feeling it that night. Note that he is also capable of being completely vindictive and has in fact personally cursed every single Antediluvian and their offspring, leading to the core of the clan quirks.

citybeatnik posted:

Or, if you're an idiot like Montgomery Coven the Assamite antitribu, you shoot from 11th Generation to 6th by devouring the life force of Mithras, the 4th Generation Ventrue Methuselah. Mithras would have none of that poo poo and is steadily taking control of the vampire's mind and body. One of the first thing that happened was Mithras going "what the gently caress is this Vaulderie poo poo? I ain't having none of that." and just outright rejecting it. I think that he was able to bond the schmucks who took part in the ritual with him, something that the Sabbat thinks should not have been able to happen.

Don't gently caress with Mithras. :black101:

Don't forget the moron who thought "Tzimisce? THE Tzimisce? Let's just get my diablerie on here :drac: "

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

DeusExMachinima posted:

:geno:

Sometimes you deserve everything that happens to you. Not that someone who was supposed to be very, very smart didn't get into a similar situation in the fourth Gehenna scenario.

Well, if I remember the story correctly, Tzimisce had turned itself into a big immobile thing through fleshcrafting and found it easier to just take over someone else and start over again than try to make a new, mobile form and so may have mind controlled the guy into trying. Still, where Antediluvians are concerned, just knowingly going near one is a big enough mistake :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

DeusExMachinima posted:

The new blood for Vandal quest was really boring. Not quite the complicated puppy-eating evil I was expecting.

You are trapping someone into being bled out as slowly as possible so you can buy blood. It's very cruel.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I love Nines, and I love this scene particularly. They did a really good job of making him out to be an all-around cheery, likeable sort of undead monster with this one scene. I mean sure he's the only one to call out the Camarilla bullshit for Camarilla bullshit and thereby saves your unlife, but this one I feel is a lot more effective. Possibly because it's longer? I dunno.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The thing about Nines is that he is actively trying to recruit you into the Anarchs. He may be more relatable, but he's as embroiled in LA's politics as every other major leader.

Yeah. He's written to be a sort of everyman, but he's every bit a political leader. Contrast to Beckett, who is the "Lone Wolf" because he just sort of drifts into the vampire politics when there's something he wants to study and then back out when he's done.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Well, it's really the only sensible choice. A brand new just barely not caitiff vamp is going to need all the information he or she can get to stay unliving and that means not pissing anybody off for a while.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

TheMcD posted:

Every vampire is a jerk.

Yeah but the further up the generations you go the more of a jerk you become.

Well, provided you skip generation 2 since they're all dead.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

double nine posted:

edit: unless the nosferatu sold the mission information and agent to the anarchs. Huh. Now that's interesting. Any clues/hints to that effect?

Well, gathering all the information and then selling it to people who aren't the Sabbat is pretty much the Nosferatu's thing so it's not a bad guess.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they bugged every Malkavian's house just in case their insight made them mumble out something really important.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Tehan posted:

Even if you assume the worst of Nines in every single way he's still better than Lacroix.

Strauss is a much better representative for the Camarilla (especially with that dreamy voice of his) - cultured, urbane, helpful, and loyal to his Clan, the Camarilla, and the Prince in that order. The political situation in vampire LA is a mess and it can't just be boiled down to Anarch freedom vs Camarilla tyranny, especially when you consider the Sabbat and Kuei-Jin making inroads.

Well, the Tremere kinda tend to be the best of the Camarilla vampires at keeping a good perspective on the world. Something about having an actual existential threat in the form of the Tzimisce wanting little more in the world than to kill them helps them keep everything in perspective, I think.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

Which is hilarious considering that they're the goddamn Hermetic (Mark Rein-Hagen ripped this poo poo off directly from the Golden Dawn) blood mages who spend their time trying to climb the pyramid of Vampire Amway.

Hey, it just so happens that they're the only ones who really indicate awareness of anything existing beyond trying to climb that pyramid. Even if that consists of "all Tzimisce will stop at nothing to eradicate us".

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

What happens if you let Simon go when you find him? I'm assuming a Masquerade violation?

Yeah, Masquerade violation + Humanity gain.

Or if Melissa had a bit more in Dominate she could have just brain wiped him for a Redemption and a Humanity gain.

e: Unless the plus patch removed this. :wesp:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Kloro posted:

:drac: + :smug: ? Or possibly :words:

:drac: + :spergin:, of course.

Or a sword teleporting around but that wouldn't work well as an emote.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah, what? I only know that some elders managed to change every Malk's Dementation into Dominate for quite a while.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

Is it ever stated how much time passes from the beginning to the end of the game? I can't remember.

Nah. Hell, there's only one time anyone even comments on the time of night.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah she'd feel like poo poo for a while and not know why if we mindwiped her and sent her on her way. Ghouls don't get slammed with every injury they ever healed with the blood, just any aging they avoided.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Rockopolis posted:

OTOH, if Lacroix is framing Nines, not ratting him out means you're not to be trusted.

Yeah, the decidedly not-Nines Nines we meet at Grout's is pretty much obvious, but we're pretty much stuck into this thing. Unless we really want to give Lacroix a reason to kill us, that is.

Jack was pretty much spot-on, "you do what you gotta do". We're pretty much stuck between a Sheriff and a hard place right now, so we gotta rat out Nines.

vvv: Yeah sure.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 18, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Anyway Humanity is a weird kinda garbagey system which is why White Wolf came up with the Paths since they needed to explain how all the various Elders who have done absolutely terrible things (some of them to survive, and depending on which clan and elder you're talking about potentially an eclipsing amount for uh, other reasons) end up having any sort of sentience left.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

A lot of the particularly bad fishmalky stuff we'll see mentioned is :wesp:. There are a couple (lookin at you stop sign, even if you were funny to suddenly encounter) but mostly it was written to be someone who is aware of a lot of the truth of things. Just in a very muddled and confusing way they don't understand.

If I remember right it was actually the very last thing written (or nearly) precisely so they could work it out this way.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

gatz posted:

Somebody please answer this question. I don't want it to get lost with the coming of a new update.

He almost did but like OAquinas said, when the dust settled the Camarilla and everyone else realized it contained enough truth presented as fiction that people would assume anyone talking about these matters just got ideas from that one book by that one guy.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

TheMcD posted:

I think that'd go in reverse, and I think that's the way it works in-game too. First you feed, then you're all YOU SAW NOTHING NOW LEAVE.

I think you feed, then stab him in the arm with a pin or something, slap a band-aid on it and make him think he donated blood.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

DeusExMachinima posted:

Voting for this. Everyone think about your votes? Do you want the one dialogue line of easy button or the zany and hi-larious Troika writing on full display?

Actually I don't think I voted yet, just talked about dominating.

Talk him down

e: WITHOUT FANCY BLOOD POWERS are you happy now gatz?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I don't know who's responsible for this next bit but yeah. It's... one side of the World of Darkness, all right.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Yeah I have to say, I find the game begins to drop of in quality pretty significantly through Hollywood.

I want to say that it holds up through Hollywood but that might just be from comparing it to the next hub. Hollywood still has a decent number of set pieces that are pretty good.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Look it's an area that requires foreknowledge to not be a pain in the rear end. I won't say anymore but I don't like things that require me to have already played the game in order to not be aggravating.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Jean Pony posted:

I binged through this LP in a few days and now I'm left waiting for new episodes like a pleb:( I kinda want to start my own playthrough but repeating so much of the game is meh, how far are we anyway? Very nice presentation gatz, what with the mini-portraits and soundtracks and everything. Looking forward to the continuation!

We have two hubs left, counting Hollywood since it just started, and then a rather long and extremely linear endgame where I invariably stop playing because I'm already done with all the parts I like.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

DeusExMachinima posted:

I've never failed or frenzied that encounter. Pretty sure if you're a fishmalk you can convince her you're her pet turtle to pass the check. Which is funny, because you'd think she'd try to bring you home then and cause an even bigger violation. Something for Wesp maybe. :v:

At any rate, the graveyard shoot em up is easily worse than than that... other part and I don't know why it doesn't get the rage it deserves. Probably because it's optional.

Yeah it's miserable, but you can just hook him up with a prostitute and not bother with it. Worst case is sometimes the game is dumb about having her follow you in and she gets lost someplace and you have to go find another one.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

PureRok posted:

Also the fact that staking a vampire in the heart doesn't kill them anyway. Basically, these are the worst vampire hunters. Or they just go "Huh, guess he was human after all. My bad."

He basically goes "oh god, I hosed up and killed a human, we'd better bail guys".

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

GrimRevenant posted:

They’re hilarious if you’re Gangrel. :gibs:

I think they all went down laughably easily as a firearms malk too. Ash's pathing remained an issue however.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Glazius posted:

I dunno, it seems like he was just quoting his own movie.

Yeah, he's just quoting his own movie. Remember, he's an actor who got vamped suddenly and is dealing with the fact that he can never do it again. The things that really mattered to you when you were human are going to be strongly linked to your humanity as a vampire, and I think even moreso for Toreadors like Ash.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah I don't know how you'd attach it to the actual score, I just figure stuff that reminds you of when you were actually human and how you felt would be related to that somehow.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Go wrap up that serial killer business before he wrecks anything.

Also get a little more XP before heading into the next area. Which will probably be very easy to LP to be honest because there's not much to say about it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

gatz posted:

Yes. The failed quest log says: "You let the serial killer go, thereby allowing his killing spree to continue unchecked. I hope you feel good about yourself." Very fable-esque. I don't think you can walk around Los Angeles wearing a dress and carrying a big hammer, though.

Some of the Malk outfits come pretty close though :haw:

Also finish him. A masquerade risk with understandable motives is unfortunately still a masquerade risk.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The Cappadocian remnants, by the way, call themselves the Harbingers of Skulls, there's only a few dozen max, and they're all dead Cappadocians who clawed their way back into unlife.

They are super pissed at the Giovanni for wiping them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also note that this is one of the times the Malkavian PC will explicitly know things. You can pull her old name out of the Madness Network and she absolutely freaks out and tells you to never say that name again.

• Locked thread