Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

tlarn posted:

800x600 would be nice, yeah. I'm already sold with the comic cutscenes, that's neat as hell.

Agreed.

Only think I'd ask for is maybe borders on the images with black background to help seperate them, but it's a nitpicky thing. I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

gatz posted:

Don't bother with ranged weapons, for one.

Yep, not worth it. Decide if you're gonna go combat heavy or not. If not, fully expect portions of the game to feel (and possibly be) impossible to you. Save skill books for the highest dot you can to get the most out of them. There are some guides that explain at what point a skill book can be used if the game doesn't tell you (I forget). Look at your bloodline abilities and boost them, they are how you win for almost every bloodline.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

A neat little easter egg in the game. If you cheat somehow and give your starter character higher stats than you can have with a legit game, Jack is the voice of the creators telling you off for it before moving on with the game.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

gatz posted:

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I never had trouble with the sewers. I've always had points invested in melee, and that just makes the sewers more of a slog than anything challenging.

I think it is the first situation that comes up that you cannot use social skills to get through, so if you were playing a social game it can feel like a wall

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Feinne posted:

One cool thing I've always liked about new Changelings is that they have basically grafted their whole society onto the seasons and any given Changeling identifies with a season, because attaching themselves to an ordered natural cycle confuses the hell out of the True Fae and makes them much harder to track down. Which also adds another element if anyone's still wondering what sort of thing a True Fae is: It's the sort of thing that looks at the fact that Spring always follows Winter at the same time every year and thinks that is deathly dull.

That and the idea that the people in charge willingly pass on their power, which is something that isn't just Dull to a Fae, it's completely unheard of.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I think the reason that WoD games tend to have the reputation that they do for success or failure is that the interpretation that people are expecting can be wildly different to different people.

I played a game of Mage with some friends and I thought of Mage as being more like Dresden style magic, where it can sometimes be flashy, but you have to keep it a secret from everyone else. Other people had a different idea of what a game of Mage should feel like, having played in the oWoD games and wanted something more like that. The ST wanted to play paranormal investigators but as mages instead of mortals, where we would use the spells we knew to assist against things which we couldn't possibly stand on our own, but covertly because we were fighting another faction.

Needless to say that game failed miserably because the expectations were so different.

The game that I remember from nWoD that was a ton of fun was an over the top hunter game where all the players decided after the first game that we weren't in a horror film, we were in Blade, and the ST ran with it and let us have it. We had a Valkyrie member that went rogue halfway through the game when he was told that blowing up an apartment complex known to be the haven of the Vampire Prince was not acceptable, and a member of Cheryon that would only return half the specimens to his handler and the hunters would use the rest for our own research and upgrades. It was silly and over the top, but it was what everyone wanted.

Being on the same page is what makes any RPG work, and WoD is no exception. It just has a larger range of expectations that it pulls from compared to other table top games.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

MajesticMonkey posted:

I thought it was pretty clear. Theresa was molested by her father and "created" Jeanette as a coping mechanism.
The way I interpreted it,"they" were shrinks of some kind.

That's one interpretation. Another is that they were both alive and grew up as kids together, explaining the painting, and when one got turned, the other died and because she snapped she 'saved' her sister by creating the multiple personality.

Yet another is that we've got a bunch of supernaturals and they are literally two distinct people that were pushed into the same vampire body by _____.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Kloro posted:

Huh. I always thought that was a joke about Sesame Street, not a real legend.

It was part of an episode of X-files, so I think it is based on a real legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I believe that they can also stay awake during daytime if they are powerful enough allowing them to attend meetings indoors and such.

• Locked thread