Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Ephemeron posted:

Skip Blood In, Blood Out - its entire plot can be summed up as "what if black vampires were the REAL racists?".

We're not here to dance around the rabbit hole of awful, tawdry and tasteless fiction. We're here to dive in that shithole head first and see if we can get high on the fumes on the way down. Tell us about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Just for reference, the transition from Aberrant to Trinity comes when certain Aberrants grow in power from "superhero" to "god-like" and cause a few minor apocalypse events (as in, only areas of a continent visible on a map of Earth explode instead of the whole globe). After that, the god-Aberrants still soft-hearted enough to pity us mere humans gather up the rest and blast off into space, never to be heard from again.

A generation or two later, some individuals across the globe independently come across some strange vats or rocks or something which turn them into the first psychics. Psychics are less powerful than Aberrants, but their abilities are much more easily controlled and don't cause you to go insane as time passes, and so people who would have triggered as Aberrants are instead thrown into the vats and turned into psychics, which is a much better situation all around.

Which isn't to say all the problems have gone away, though. Two psychic types, quanakinetics and telekinetics no longer exist: the former were deemed too close to Aberrants in power and crushed, and the latter managed to find an Aberrant colony, which got them in trouble when people panicked and called them Aberrant collaborators and crushed them (but really they all just teleported away because the more powerful telekinetics can travel distances measured in light years and bring rooms full of stuff with them).

Just to get pedantic, the Jumpers weren't teeks. The teeks are militant Aussies and the TK discipline covers TK, cryo- and pyrokinesis. The Jumpers were African cops and their powers covered short jumps, really, really long jumps and vast spatial awareness, IIRC.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
As far as Cthulhu-monsters, a cross-setting book called "Blood-Dimmed Tides" had the Chulorvia (pronounced with a hard "ch"). They were tentacle aliens in the vague shape of a human who lived under the sea and, IIRC, wanted to infect all of humanity to make us like them. I think they win "Most Like H.P. Lovecraft's Fever Dreams".

OAquinas posted:

Was the plan. CCP Games just gutted the Atlanta office right before Christmas. Atlanta being the offices of White Wolf and the heart of WoD online development, that's not a good sign. Someone noted that the WW buyout included a contractual obligation to develop a WoD mmo...but there's no release date. So as long as they can claim it's "in development" they can sit on it in perpetuity. Their ill-advised/failed FPS Dust has sucked up all the non-eve devs and creative oxygen.

So you don't know what Onyx Path is or what happened after CCP said they weren't making tabletop games? And you think it takes, what, not more than two years to make an MMORPG, right? This is snide hearsay.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Really? I always thought that he was supposed to be River Phoenix.

Or, you know, James Dean. Besides being named "Ash", I can't see a single connection to Bruce Campbell. He's clearly the live-fast-die-young Hollywood bad boy type.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Yeah, I just figured that even if the reference went no deeper than the name, it still bore mentioning.

If it doesn't go deeper than the name it's not a reference, just a coincidence.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
So here are the theories I don't think I've seen before:

The friend sending emails: I think this is pretty obvious. Who is obnoxiously intellectual enough to send cryptic emails with chess metaphors? Clearly Strauss. He may do little to overtly help you, but what truly smart paranoid would stick his neck out for an untested newbie? But on the other hand, having you around LaCroix seems to off-balance him, because:

Your sire: A seventh-generation Camarilla represents a huge threat to LaCroix's Dominate-heavy method of control. LaCroix seems terrified of almost everyone and has so little leverage that no one has much reason to respect him. He understands enough to know that the Camarilla have completely set him up by putting him in charge of vampire Somalia. When he finds out a potential rival of his (your sire) has begun secretly building a power base by siring a childer without permission, he knows he has to act quickly using what little authority he has. He kills your sire without giving them a chance to explain anything. He hopes to to eliminate a rival and demonstrate his authority with a single flourish. Because he is LaCroix, it backfires.

When Nines speaks out against killing you, LaCroix backs off partly out of cowardice and partly because he knows how tenuous his position is. He convened the moot for killing you and your sire to show how powerful he was. But he was unable to kill you. He thinks he can salvage the situation by using you as a puppet. This is a dangerous game for him - he might feel he is clever for using his rival's tool for his own gain but your existence is proof of his powerlessness in LA. He needs to control you or kill you to save face, but you are a huge wild card. A low-generation neonate is a time bomb, and LaCroix killed your sire. He sends you on suicide mission after suicide mission praying you won't come back, but you do. Your existence makes him frantic because you may at any time turn around and bite him, and who would defend him? Everyone's out to get him. He's a fall guy and you represent the knife closest to his heart.

So who benefits from unsettling LaCroix? Not the Anarchs, they don't care enough for such an involved prank and they don't get anything material out of it. The Kuei-Jin may or may not know enough about Kindred society to pull this kind of poo poo. The Sabbat don't care. But another Camarilla, a primogen in line to become Prince, would enjoy priming the grenades LaCroix would have to fall on.

Strauss emails you because he has the most to gain by your continued existence. LaCroix sends you on terrifying missions to advance the cause of the Camarilla, which is good for Strauss, and your power threatens LaCroix, which is good for Strauss. Think about this: why does the Tremere primogen, the most powerful occultist in the area, not give a gently caress about the most ancient occult archaeological item ever procured by vampire? Because he's already winning everything.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
A Malkavian would just start pulling wires.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
I like to think all the creepiness in the night air that the vampires are feeling isn't because of the sarcophagus but because Cain is there.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Strauss wrote the emails. He and maybe Cain are the only ones with the character for it. And Strauss loves that your existence drives Lacroix nuts - he thinks Lacroix is a douche. He wants to see you alive and successful to discredit and unbalance Lacroix, but he can't give you too much visible help without Lacroix finding out. That would jeopardize Strauss' standing with the Camarilla, but Lacroix's monomania is jeopardizing the Camarilla in LA itself, so Strauss must work quietly and with unknowing catspaws to oust Lacroix. That is super shysty but is also what is best for the Camarilla. This "mysterious benefactor" angle also gives him an in to you - Lacroix is clearly eating himself alive and you are the hot new thing. And so he gains by your success in that way, too. Sounds like the moves one would make in a game of tactical strategy, doesn't it?

Strauss has a ton of reasons to be surreptitiously involved with the PC. Cain is just tooling around in a beater like a hippy, going "Vampires, man. Vampires." You aren't useful to him. He doesn't care. Strauss wrote the emails.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Ephemeron posted:

Counterpoint: the helpful emails keep coming even if you betray Strauss by blabbing to Isaac about his secret.

That doesn't change your utility to Strauss in the slightest. Especially if it makes you believe it's not him.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
He has voices in his head and thinks he can cure his wife of death. Those are the more explicit ways he's crazy. I see the irony in rationality being his insanity, but...yeah.

The Faustian bargain is clearly him trusting the voices in his head. They say he's in danger and he decides they are right and can help him survive.

Like, we could be talking about the ghost's motives for killing his family or what clan the werewolves are or other hooha if we wanna go balls-out making stuff up.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Iretep posted:

LaCroix wanted the sarcophagus after Jack murdered everyone inside the ship. Jack had been planning this for a while on the otherhand. If you're a malkavian Jack even threatens you if you hint that you know what hes doing in the tutorial. Even Lacroixes plan to assasinate Grout only happens after he decides to try and get the sarcophagus because he mistakenly thinks Grout is going paranoid over him.
Also why would Grout see a dark and powerful aura over LaCroix. Hes barely older than Grout and can't even out fight the main character. Jack on the other hand murders at least 30 or over people in this game alone.

This sounds like 100% conjecture. You need support these claims:

1. Jack had been planning this for a long time.
2. Lacroix hadn't.
3. Lacroix wants to kill Grout first or only because he thinks Grout is on to his plan.
4. Lacroix wouldn't have a ridiculously dark or powerful aura.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Iretep posted:

I'm mostly trying to point out that what proof do we have that it wasn't Jack that got rid of Grout? He had as much motivation to do so as Lacroix and a motivation to do it for a longer time than Lacroix. The Faustian deal could even refer to Grout making a deal with Jack to hide until Jacks scheme was done.

You're still making this all up. Grout specifically refers to Lacroix wishing him harm. There is no relationship between Jack and Grout. When Grout says he made a Faustian bargain he is talking about the voices in his head. He never, ever even mentions an Anarch.

quote:

To my understanding the sarcophagus was going to a museum before Jack killed everyone in the boat. The aim of the masacre was to get the attention of camarilla vampires. So Jack had a secret to keep for a longer time than Lacroix did.

Yes, the sarcophagus was going to the museum. The aim of the massacre was to kill anyone who witnessed Jack plant the explosives, not to get attention. Just because Jack hijacked the ship before Lacroix could get the sarcophagus doesn't mean that Lacroix hadn't planned to get it all along. It could be word of Lacroix's plan to get the sarcophagus was what impelled Jack to rig it in the first place.

quote:

Was it ever established that anyone thought there was anything intresting inside the sarcophagus before Jack did his thing at the boat?

Well, I'm not going back to check now so I'll just say I think when it comes to ancient Mesopotamian vampire archaeology, I'm betting a Ventrue Camarilla Prince would be more clued in than a random Anarch.

quote:

I'd need to do another run through the game but I think a malkavian MC seems to consider Lacroix a jester prince mostly and I think I remember in the tutorial the MC refers to Jack as having something dark about him?

Yeah, if you want this one you can have it. I don't want to be too lovely here but you don't have a leg to stand on. You could be arguing that the cab driver is a sluagh changeling because he never speaks above a growly whisper and has a creepy aura.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
But now I'm into this "cabbie is a sluagh" theory. He could use Chicanery to make people believe he was a vampire and Wayfare and Soothsay to make sure he was always ready and waiting for the PC.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Sluagh are the goth changelings that are always pale, thin, dark-haired, never speak above a whisper and creep people out.

The best reason against the cabbie being a sluagh is that there is zero reason for it and it doesn't fit into the established world. But if we are gonna ignore those reasons for Grout theories, let's just go all out. As a serious, non-troll response, just to be creative. Lord knows White Wolf's own canon isn't messed up enough. We can pretend this game is Rasputin.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

TheMcD posted:

Note that the characters mentioned for new/alternative models and textures are all female. Just sayin'. This might give us an idea what's in store... oh, who the gently caress am I kidding, we all know what we're in for.

And Knox! I'm not even asking for or demanding a picture of him, but I'm 100% certain you will include at least a close up image of his characterful new reskin.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Robindaybird posted:

While Jack's scheming and manipulative,

Is this even proveable? Do people say this because he played a deadly prank on Lacroix or whoever was greedy enough to open the sarcophagus? The fact that the sarcophagus went on its Amazing Journey around LA really has nothing to do with Jack. He's just an anarchist.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Mountain Lightning posted:

Masquerade violations

As soon as you break the Masquerade, the mod will spawn hunters to come after you. They don't go away if you get a Masquerade redemption. The more you break it, the more hunters go after you. I'm not sure if getting redemptions resets this downward spiral.

See how easy it is to get a violation, be forced into a criminal violation fighting hunters, get another Masquerade violation from fighting cops which spawns more hunters, etc.

Gameplay.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
gently caress it, the Faustian bargain is OG, made with Mephistopheles (@TheRealMephistopheles), the cab driver is Cain from Kung Fu: The Legend Continues cause of course David Carradine is a vampire, and the emails are sent by vampire Deep Blue.

mods knew

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Fuzz posted:

The Faustian bargain could have also been his vampirism.

No, it couldn't have. Go read all those transcripts again. He mentions making a Faustian bargain right after talking about dealing with Lacroix. The fact that the thread has decided to make this a thing is weird and any interpretation that he isn't specifically referring to dealing with the Camarilla is based on semantic chicanery and outright ignorance. I'm not calling you stupid, I'm just saying you are clearly taking shots in the dark based off of things you don't remember well. Go read the transcripts again.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, that's it. It was short, sweet, tasteful even, and offered an interesting look at how things are done elsewhere. I have to admit though, I got a little squeamish at the (spoiling for safety) feeding scene, but only because I like playing high Humanity vampires.

EDIT: Just saw the strip show note. Don't worry, there's no nudity or anything, it's just VV's model doing some kind of dance, IIRC.

Isn't it just a lap dance with jerky, stilted animations? Anyway, it can't be as creepy as Mass Effect. Every animation in those games is thin, generic, without character or sense of physicality, and then the blue slut elves start dancing and it's the most lovingly-detailed, lifelike, well-choreographed stripper dance in video games. God, that's weird. Going from deep in the uncanny valley to mo-capped come-gently caress-me dancing is the blow-up sex doll of video games. Can't be creepier than that.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Everything you've said was justified. This mod was made by people who are not and will never be game designers. If the people who made this mod put more time and effort into it the best they could do is add an ice level.

The people who say this mod has breathed new life into Bloodlines are the kind of people who 100% Peggle. They cannot or do not discern the difference between the engaging features of this game (plot, dialogue, facial animations, atmosphere) and the filler (see last update). Many people would term both these things "content" and put them on the same or similar level because they just don't know the difference between having an edifying, satisfying experience in a creative, stylized world and simply passing the time before you die.

I'm not gonna tell you you're doing God's work putting this together, but I will say I am enjoying it by learning from the modder's mistakes and schadenfreude. So thank you. I think I understand what you mean and I appreciate your effort. Thank you.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
I didn't read the narrative and won't read it in the future. I don't really care if you do it or not, but I would super appreciate it if you put regular commentary in an italicized caption under relevant pictures so I could see stuff like, "Bruno was a complete dick, wielding a mace because this mod is stupid. He had a lot of health but wasn't any trouble." or, "Picked up a hockey mask, it does this..." Then I could be apprised of anything pertinent to your playthrough, which I was enjoying. I'm not saying your writing is bad, just that I will never read it and would really like it if I could still follow along.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Poil posted:

Considering the how the mod has been so far, they probably just did it for a "hilarious" joke. For example, just look back on the whole vampire slave harem gathering and how that works and it's really hard to imagine anything other than that. I don't really care if they add Tran people or not but "Haha the stripper has a dong lol" is not a good way to do it in my opinion.

That's putting a lot in their mouth. Vampire enthusiasts (bloodies?) have trended toward the sexually open in my experience. I think making a stripper transsexual is the punk, in-your-face attitude this mod cringes toward combined with a desire to be a part of "dangerous sexuality". If the model's genitals happen to be indistinguishable through see-through pants, well, that just kinda fits the timbre of the mod. Maybe you need Inspection 12.

Also, a grenade-launching sniper rifle is actually a really cool idea.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Accordion Man posted:

I wonder how bullshit they'll make Ming-Xiao considering how much of a bullet sponge she is normally.

God, yes. I can't wait to see how hosed up they decide to make the Marshall. I hope they make you fight Lacroix and he has a katana and an uzi. I hope they make you fight Jack for no reason and he totally cheats and is the most powerful enemy in the game. I hope they make you fight Jack and the mummy at the same time and when you win there is a giant pile of explosives next to you that goes off and kills you anyway unless you solve a differential calculus equation while fighting them.

This mod is so garbage and I'm loving it. Thanks again, McD. Much respect.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

the_steve posted:

The grenades have smaller grenades attached to them.

And those grenades have terrible Euro-punk hair dos and denim jackets with too many patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
That's the soul reaver from the Soul Reaver/Legacy of Kain video games. Which is about time traveling fantasy vampire monsters. Which, now that I think about it, has some similarity with World of Darkness in that both setting's vampires are a cross between comic book super heroes and Dungeons and Dragons monsters. Still, it's basically equivalent to getting a bright red cap with an "M" on it that the game labels a "Plumber's Cap".

• Locked thread