Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

McGavin posted:

It's funny that you picked a Proclaimers song as the team song because the Proclaimers already made the greatest team/racial superiority anthem in history.

Surprisingly, the original version of that dates back to 1978, in the original North American Soccer League. It is, however, just a retread of Chelsea's 1972 league cup final song, 'Blue is the Colour'. Cup final songs are a lost art these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A. A manager generally doesn't get to choose by whom they are owned.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
B. I did say changing owners was a bad idea. And yes, they fired you during that conversation because you tried to lower the target.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Go for a rival in the same division.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Wrexham - Third oldest team in the world, let's get them back to the top table.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Dibs on the director whose first name begins with 'A'.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
(Assertively) As a director, I am very pleased with the results so far. I agree that Norwich looks like the best choice for a parent club. Will there be anything else?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, I think the FA cup is really neat. I played on my way down to New York City today, we made 1.3 million pounds off the Man U match. We're now rich.

Money is nice, but the game is about glory. How many cups are we still in?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
(Cautiously) We will need to see a return on this investment. If you believe you can secure the playoffs or the FA Trophy, I will back you to the hilt.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Goddamnit guys. What kind of board are we? Giving money to a new coach for some stupid reason like "all our good players aren't actually ours". How are we supposed to line our pockets when we blow all our money on stupid poo poo like this? Get it together lads.

(Calmly) We're playing a long game. Why embezzle from a tin-pot nonleague outfit when we can spend a few years fattening it up, sending it through the divisions up to the promised land of hilk and money, and then embezzle the gently caress out its soulless, multibillion pound corporate husk, selling the pitiful remainder to some clueless dodgy chancer or foreign oligarch who wants to move it halfway across the country, change its name and recolour the kit?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
(Cautiously) If you believe you can use these men to improve our position in the medium and long term, they would be a sensible investment. Needless to say, they'll be joining you if this course proves ill-advised.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
CBABD.

(Assertively) By all means, the finest coaches, the youngest and best prospects, and the best playing surface (that last at someone else's expense). But are you seriously asking for Three Hundred and Thirty Thousand Pounds Sterling just to become, and I quote, 'Fairly Poor'? Bollocks to that. Come back with a proposal for a youth facility that's actually worthy of the name or don't waste my time. We'll revisit this in future seasons if you can garner a bit more ambition on this front.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

habeasdorkus posted:

Hey, if we could upgrade more quickly I'd be happy to. Unfortunately we can only improve our facilities one step at a time. It's a zoning ordinance, or something.

That's my vote and I'm sticking to it. :colbert: Be grateful that not every director feels as I do.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
November 30th, St. Andrews' day.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

ForeverBWFC posted:

I believe the joke in fact goes Scunthorpe, Arsenal and Manchester loving United :colbert:

Not since Moyes took over.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
(Passionately) This isn't good enough, and you know that full well. If we don't see an improvement in the near future then drastic measures may need to be taken.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
(Aggressively) Six bloody nil? Six bloody nil on our home turf?! You bloody yank gobshite! It's only that good run of form beforehand that keeps me from chucking you back down to the nonleague gutter right now. My patience is running bloody thin.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
SALARY
We've been dire. Let's not mince words: 0-6 to the scum, couldn't score in a brothel, propping up the league with a chance of dropping straight back down. You have not exceeded our expectations, and are at risk of not even meeting them. 850/Wk it shall remain, at the very least that'll bring the average down.

CONTRACT
I'm giving you another Year, because I'm willing to concede this is your first time in a tougher league and stability is the name of the game. If you want job security, earn it.

SET PIECES
You're the bloody manager, you do what you like! Just get the lazy bastards scoring again one way or the other.

YOUTH
You've had us chuck a bloody fortune at the youth side of things. Show us that investment was worth it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
If I had a pet dragon, I'd have it cloned. In just a few years, my unfailingly loyal dragon squadrons would sweep forth in unstoppable conquest, by wing and by claw and by flame imposing a new era of rule, my rule. All who oppose us will be gathered up and thrown into the dankest, most foul midden the world has yet seen: Tackleford's pitch.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
(Cautiously) Baby steps. Those are the things we took last season. This season, we're going to do what Tackleford did, and we're going to do it better. Win the league or die trying.

(Offhandedly) You want £36k/wk wage budget and an additional £50k in the transfer budget? Sure, just win the bloody league or die trying.

(Assertively) 700/Week for new coaches? We'll throw in a bus to park in front of Manchester Whoever on our annual trip up there. Just win the thrice-damned, accurséd league, or forfeit the last breath of your body, the last drop of blood your heart can give.

(Implacably) It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Wrexham have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory. Relay the pitch. Win the league. And if you chicken out and die instead, we'll rip open the gates of the eternal abyss, drag your tormented soul out of the lake of fire that forever burns yet has no warmth, stick you back in the dugout, tell you to stop being such a soft jessie and win the bloody league already!

I'm not asking for much, am I?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
(Flabbergasted) Blimey! Can you get some more dual nationality scouts in? You've only gone and sourced the reincarnation of Cliff bloody Jones! Cracking work, lad!

Is that a £5,000,000 release clause? That's going to bite us in the arse down the road...

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
(Assertively) You've been losing winnable games and it looks like you're losing the dressing room, too. Count yourself bloody lucky they've thrown you a five match lifeline.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
(Assertively) Much more like it! I'm satisfied you'll earn us some glory or die trying, so keep at it!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
By the 'eck, lad, you look like you might actually win it or die trying! Keep it up on the home stretch!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Huh, at this rate you won't have to die trying.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Oh right, the election.

Elect me and I will promise you Glory! I guarantee an appearance at Wembley itself, the Valhalla of football, not this decade, not next season, but this very year itself! That's not all: I guarantee a competitive team at the very top of the league, dedicated to claiming first place, or having the manager die trying! Blood, my fellow dragons, blood and trophies will be poured at your feet!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
AAA

(Assertively) If you're still alive, I'm more than happy to back you to the hilt. Tell you what, I'll even ease up on the 'Win the league or die trying' if you get us the paint pot and automatic promotion, It'd be a glorious day in Wrexham if we can do that.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Bah. Without that trophy, you know what you must do. Silverware or bust, win the league or die trying!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
(Delightedly) By the heck, lad, you've only gone and bloody done it! I asked for the league title, you got us the league title. Now, if you need to take a year to consolidate, that's fair enough, but mark my words, young man: Knock Tackleford off their effin' perch! The fans deserve a bit of payback after that drubbing they gave us last time out. Make it happen!

VOTE 1: WAGE CAP

C. (Belligerently) We're tussling with the big boys now, band I don't want us to be snivelling on the sidelines with worn out boots and mismatched socks. Three premier league opponents in the cup in three years, plus a cup final, have been bloody marvellous to us. Pass it on to the lads and keep them happy.

VOTE 2: TRANSFER BUDGET

C. (Magnanimously) Can't argue with results! You've found some real winners, if this Sirra boy is as good as that Mujkic lad then who can say what we can achieve? Request granted, now go find us the best we can get!

VOTE 3: TRANSFER INCOME AVAILABLE

B. (Warningly) All this largesse needs to be supported somehow. Loosening the purse strings now that there's an extra couple million, can't argue with that, but this club isn't a charity. I'd agree to an 80% reinvestment, we'll revisit this question when we're more secure in our standing.

VOTE 4: MATEO MUJKIC CONTRACT

C (Greedily) This kid is the goose laying golden footballs. Do whatever it takes to keep him, do whatever it takes to prepare for the day he slips from our grasp. Carte Blanche!

VOTE 5: MY CONTRACT

(Cheerfully) Oh aye, we can handle that. Two promotions in three years is worth another five years, and £1,100 is fair remuneration. 10% per annum is above inflation, and I expect to see you earn it, year in, year out. As an incentive, I'd allow up to a 33% promotion salary increase. You get us up to the Championship, you get us setting our sights even higher than that, and we'll be making enough to cover that and plenty spare.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
+17 points, +13 goal difference. Their star is waning, ours is in the ascendancy.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Look: I said it before and I'll say it again, there's no point skimming off the top until we're actually at the top. The higher leagues produce exponentially more wealth than piddling around down here: You've got to speculate to accumulate, and it won't be until a couple more promotions that we'll really be able to embezzle our greedy little hearts out, laughing our way to Bahamian tax havens invest everything earned into the playing side scrupulously and legitimately.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Let's go back until I was just a wee lad, way, way back in the summer of 1990. A World Cup in Italy, and an England side with the talented Tottenham Hotspur attacking players Paul 'Gazza' Gascoigne and Gary Lineker managed to produce England's best run in the competition since we won the damned thing back in '66.

In the group stage, there was a politically-charged match as England took on the Republic of Ireland, a full seven years before the Good Friday accords began the process of healing the Troubles occurring in Northern Ireland.

It was during this match that Gary Lineker, winner of the Golden Boot in the previous world cup, one of the leading strikers in the world, shat himself.

If you can come up with a bigger embarrassment than painting the inside of your shorts brown in the middle of a sporting event with the biggest viewing figures in the entirety of human entertainment (The last World Cup had 46.4% of the world's population having seen some of it), I'm not entirely sure I want to know.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Amazing! 15 points and +23 goals up on Tackleford, and we've only just entered the new year! Back to back promotions would be insane!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
A Sell Todd. Glory glory Tottenh... er, I mean, this represents a prudent bit of business for the club. I will not confirm the existence of an alleged 'North London Mafia' on the Wrexham board, that's just idle hearsay from a few fringe supporter groups.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Aww, you scared Ersatz Daniel Levy off.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
C, A, C, B (Assertively) Back to back promotions should give you enough clout to go out and make us great. Keep the players you want, if they want to whine like Jean-Marc Bosman then they shouldn't have signed the bloody contract. They're professionals, they should act like it. Spread the net far and wide, you've got a great eye for a player. Make sure your scouts have interesting nationalities as well so we can find more Mujkic-esque loopholes.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
(Giddy with glee) Back to back Titles! My oath, you've done far better than could ever have been hoped for, and I didn't even have to threaten you to die trying this time! Onward and upward, the Red Dragon is taking to the skies!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

A Tartan Tory posted:

Wow, there are a lot of big names in that Championship.

I make that 16 sides that have played Premier League football. Also, 'New White Hart Lane'? That's the Naming Rights Stadium, I'll have you know! :colbert:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Sudoku posted:

I'm going to guess a little more optimistic and say 14th.

I still find myself just a little confused about "where" we are in the grand scheme of football (blame being an uneducated yankee who calls it soccer by default). After this is the Premier League, then Europa League, then Champion's League?

Not quite. We are at the second tier of the English football pyramid, with only the Premier league left above us. The Europa League and Champions League are continental competitions: The highest finishers in each league qualify to participate, with a maximum of four teams per country in the latter for the two countries who have performed the best in Europe over the past half decade. (Currently Spain and England.) The major cup competitions (The FA Cup and Capital One Cup) and the highest league finisher outside the Champions' League spots take the Europa League places. (If the cup winners already qualify for European competition, the places trickle down.)

TLDR: If we get promoted, we're in the top flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I'm going to push the boat out and say promoted. Most likely by fluking into the playoffs.

• Locked thread