Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

THE LUMMOX posted:

The world's first mortar fired explosive shell.

I love how no one seems to trust it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

a travelling HEGEL posted:

(you may not know this, Obdicut, but in early modern usage "Hure" need not mean prostitute, but only "loose woman," which is what city-dwelling authorities would call military women whether or not they were married to their men--a woman could be completely chaste, but if she traveled with an army she was automatically a "slut" to outsiders)

It's pretty funny how this never actually changed.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Bonus shot: here's what happens when you fire it in mud.

Oh good you said mud, I thought a rabbit suddenly ran in front of the gun.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Something tells me that these service intervals are much like modern intervals on cars and that in practice they were routinely exceeded with no one giving a gently caress.

Depending how far they got without getting shelled.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

WEEDLORDBONERHEGEL posted:

I have an old superbombard. Come at me bro.

Edit: Speaking of, guys...

Guys...

Guys!

I saw Dulle Griet in person last night on the way to a bar.

:allears:
I keep forgetting Dulle Griet is an actually cool thing. How long are you in Ghent for? Need any tips.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Were there any persecutions for the Rape of Belgium or did they take care of that in the Treaty of Versailles?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Rough translation:

Reconstruction of a torture device.
The punished were placed on the horse and weights were attached to their feet.
Made in 1988.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Not least of all, the Channel Islands were completely bypassed and only liberated after the war.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
That snare drummer is just thinking to himself, there's got to be a better way to do this.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
I remember a goon posted his father's Vietnam War memoirs way back, around 2006-2007. Does anyone remember that?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Nuclear Pizza posted:

Here you go.

By the way, it looks like Garry got the book published.If you liked it, you can buy it and help support a fellow goon :)

Thanks, that was the one I was looking for! You don't get stuff like that on SA anymore.

Killing For Peace is on Amazon, I might actually buy it.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Frostwerks posted:

All boots are equally uncomfortable, comrade, da?

One size fits none

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

Antwerp is a cause so lost that I'm half-expecting to see it rescued at the last minute by a photogenic dog, but nobody seems to have told the Royal Naval Division.

If any photogenic dog would save Antwerp, it would be Patrasche.
This past weekend, Antwerp constructed a pontoon bridge over the Scheldt to commemorate the War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTfNZSu7dAA

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Bacarruda posted:

My book are on the other side of the Pacific Ocean atm, but there's a great story I read about an Australian guy on a scooter outrunning a bunch of Japanese soldiers. His platoon was trapped and they needed to get a message out. So the Aussie commandeered a scooter and charged the Japanese headlong. Apparently they were so stunned, they didn't fire a shot and just scrambled out of the way as the lunatic Australian barreled through their lines.

I know it's probably the motorbike version, but I'm still imagining of breaking through enemy lines on this

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Nenonen posted:

My first thought upon reading this was 'how the hell do you steal six Pattons and smuggle them to Ireland?' :downs:

The same way Russia is supplying the Separatists in Ukraine with heavy materiel. By creating fifty alternative stories, no matter how absurd.

EDIT: Oh, I didn't notice that they were stolen in the US, that changed everything a bit. :v:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Tracers are fairly :pcgaming: and have been for pretty much ever. They started throwing in coloring metals pretty quick because you didn't want to inadvertently guide your fire according to enemy tracers (unless you were firing at the source of those tracers :getin:) so you have stuff like red and green and purple and orange these days for various uses.

Apparently some squad leaders would load whole magazines full of tracers to more easily direct the squad's fire, which is impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhGIFLWadEU

FOLLOW MY TRACERS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
I don't know if it's just the effects of post-war propaganda but POWs held by the Western Allies had it good.

• Locked thread