Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, looks pretty good for acknowledging the war wasn't just the Brits and Huns slugging it out in Flanders field.

Well, the French won't be in at release.

The French.

In a WWI game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

wdarkk posted:

I assume literal Stalinists, who considered the war to be a capitalist enterprise right up until Barbarossa where they suddenly did a 180.

Yeah, the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact put a lot of communists in Europe in a really awkward position. Apparently the communists in the French resistance did absolutely nothing until 1941 because of this.

Although I would still like to hear more about WWII COs.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Kemper Boyd posted:

Fun fact: Christina was actually no queen at all, she was crowned as King Christina.

It's Political Correctness GONE MAD!!!!!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

as far as i know, everything that's prefaced with imperial is that
imperial abbeys, convents, knights, counts, etc

I wonder if Imperial Villagers thought themselves higher than ordinary peasants.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
In fairness, the character for the "Army" in People's Liberation Army could be read as "Military".

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
The German Type 212s supposedly have the ability to launch a short-range SAM based on the IRIS-T through the torpedo tubes while submerged. Guidance is fiber-optic and I'm guessing its really more as a defense against snooping helicopters than defense against full-blown naval patrol aircraft.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Kemper Boyd posted:

Not military history, but can't be arsed to dig up the Early Modern thread and dunno if it hasn't fallen into archives.

I was reading a book about witch hunts earlier today and there was an interesting bit about France. France had something of a reverse witch hunt going on during the 17th century, especially during the reign of Louis XIV. That is, the crown spent a lot of effort on tracking down witch hunters and sentencing them either to death or the galleys, probably because they were causing panic and undermining the crown's authority. France in general had a really low number of people executed for witchcraft, something like 300 people during a 100+ years period and no mass trials at all.

From what I recall, witch hunts was a mostly protestant thing, and France was majority catholic. I think there are even letters where a local bishop wrote to Rome about how they had caught a witch, please advise, and Rome answered with a resounding "Witchcraft isn't real you dumbass, let her go".

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

Words I Learned:

plesurit- wounded. From French blessure, injury
despect- the opposite of "respect," of course

despect is a word that needs to make a comeback.

"Massive despect, bro. That was some of the dumbest poo poo I have ever heard."

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

So I'm curious, what obscure battles/theatres/units would you include in a WWII game?

China/Burma, playing as a Chinese soldier

Campaign against Italian East Africa (or tutorial missions as Ethiopian soldier in the war of 1935)

The Battle of Dakar (turret section)-->fighting in Syria/Lebanon

Campaign against the Murmansk Railway

Also I really wanted to do a game called "Mitläufer/Fellow traveler", basically a CYOA that casts you as a young German man in 1938, with the goal of surviving until 1950. If done well it could really show the social dynamics that caused people to sort of support the regime even when they knew that bad poo poo was going down. Do you volunteer for service before they can draft you, thereby getting to chose which branch of the Wehrmacht/Waffen-SS you join? Do you try to get an apprenticeship in some war-critical industry in the hopes of becoming too important to draft? Do you play nice with the local Nazis in hopes of being able to call in favors after the war turns bad and the Wehrmacht grows increasingly desperate in its search for new cannon fodder? When do you ditch the regime in the last days of the Third Reich, knowing that going too early means you'll probably be executed as a traitor, but going too late means awkward questions will be asked in your de-nazification trial?

Do you refuse the draft and hope that you can somehow make it through seven years of concentration camp?

If you get drafted and your unit ends up being called up for a mass shooting of "Partisans", do you refuse? Do you refuse even if that means your CO will volunteer you for that dangerous scouting mission later?

Also if you join the Navy there is a good chance you end up in a sub and that's a flat 70% chance to game over. If you get assigned to one of the capital ships, chances aren't any better.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Delivery McGee posted:

Cold War gone hot things like Harpoon and whatever that Abrams tank sim my brother-in-law had in the early '90s could stand a modern remake.

Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations is pretty much Harpoon remade for the ultra-grognards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

P-Mack posted:

Yeah. Better guns/more armor won't help a tank that's stuck in a swamp with no fuel.

Trying to read Schwerpunkt now, and I get how people react to my China posts- it's a baffling impenetrable swirl of names and places.

"The 5th fahrfuvnugenstaffel advanced their pzkw6X3sfz tanks over the bridge to diggledigllrbrod," zzzzz

Yeah, it's pretty dry in that regard. Just endless pages of divisions advancing here and there and attacking other divisions, sometimes winning, sometimes losing, before marching on to other places. It's the bad old school of military history writing.

Ensign Expendable posted:

The armour of the T-26 and BT was indeed too thin for modern war, which was discovered during the Spanish Civil War and only highlighted by further interbellum conflicts. That's what caused the T-34 and KV to be developed. But yes, the 45 mm gun was reaching the end of its dominance in 1941 with German tanks that had 50 mm of front armour that just started being produced, but the vast majority of German tanks still had 30 mm armour or less, and even the tanks with 50-60 mm of armour had it bolted on (25+25 or 30+30), with the extra armour falling off after one or two shots. It was still very much an effective weapon in 1941 and 1942.

If I'm not mistaken, the Soviets kept the 45mm as their light anti-tank gun in the infantry units throughout the war.

• Locked thread