Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone mind throwing up an effort post or some reading material on the evolution of small unit tactics? Earliest to now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So how does NATO actually work as far as chain of command? Lets say for some reason Russia invades Germany during the cold war. How do the NATO countries coordinate? Is it pretty much the nations sign off on a general to head strategic planning?Some sort of council/parliment?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I saw earlier someone wanted an effort post about freshwater navy stuff. This has also peaked my curiosity as I really don't know much of this stuff. As far as I am aware what you have now is small attack boats right nothing like Iron Clads during the ACW which where heavily armored heavily gunned is this correct? Do countries even have a fresh water navy any more it seems you'd do better with close by airbases and attack helos?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Can someone please explain the history of Military Attack Helo doctrine?In the beginning I assume it was pretty much close air support that could loiter but It seems that with the preponderance of MANPADS. :haw: that Helicopters would be kinda useless and dangerous? And what's stopping some dummy with a SAW or something from just shooting them down in even the best conditions? and if I'm not wrong about their survivability why arent there 1000 variants of the ac130 to provide loitered CAS?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 4, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So I've never really wrapped my head around how the cold war numbers end up being really lop sided towards the USSR? Is it because they entertained required conscription? Nato forces too spread out? NATO economic footing was more towards civilian use vs military use? The population of the USSR was just that much bigger and so just as a percentage numbers are higher?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Koesj posted:

What numbers? When? And compared to whom? You'll have to be a bit more specific because there are way more narratives here than 'hurr commie hordes'. Armaments ministries and industries run amok, atrophying the civilian economy to keep up with real and perceived threats, and party political considerations about military strength were important factors, but most Western countries ran conscription, high military budgets, and vigilant states of readiness as well.

Just pure man power, infantry, tanks, air power. At both the beginning of cold war tensions (about '46) and at the height of tensions between the two sides. The narrative I keep seeing is, "The red horde is gonna pile through the fulda and gently caress errthing up and we gotta nuke em oohrah" :eek: and I was just wondering how the USSR would amass that much in man power to just stomp through Nato defenses.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Koesj posted:

I'd say you've been seeing bottom of the barrel stuff then.

Pretty much. My military history knowledge from an actual, "I've read tones of books" perspective only encompasses WW2(surprise). My cold war "knowledge" really is pop culture and two modern history courses which pretty much skimmed basic stuff. Oh and I read a book called WW3(I cant remember the title or author, but it had a weird tag line like" The book president Kennedy kept on his desk") which tried to present a "plausible" WW3 scenario which started with the USSR going through Fulda and ended with them nuking Birmingham England or something, but I ended up writing most of it off as wishful thinking.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Koesj posted:

That'd be either Hackett's The Third World War: August 1985, or its rewrite/sequel, The Third World War: The Untold Story. Both books could have hardly been lying around on Kennedy's desk, well, maybe Ted's, but they aren't particularly stupid either.

If you were to do reread you'd find that Hackett describes a world where the run-up to war was very much in the USSR's favor, but in which NATO is actually pretty successful in countering this attack. Not at all surprising really because they have prepared for it in a way that he himself thought was necessary; Hackett was COMNORTHAG in the 1960s, and therefore responsible for running NATO's entire Northern front in the FRG - comprising of Dutch, German, British, and Belgian forces.

It makes for a decent read if you ignore p much everything he feels like saying about world politics, because it's one of those books that has its operational details in order. Among other things the main thrust of the Soviet attack IIRC doesn't come through the US V Corps AO (~the Fulda Gap~) but rather through Hackett's former stomping ground: the North German Plain, an area that supposedly induced an inordinate amount of headaches among NATO military planners. Other books that IMO do this scenario well are Red Army and Chieftains!.

Unfortunately there hasn't been much serious work done on 1970s and 80s operational planning because both sides have locked their archives and thrown away the keys.

e: VVVV this.

Yep that's the book I read it a few years back. I'll see if I can find it on my book shelf if you think its worth a read through.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

gfanikf posted:

These guys are lucky that got to hang around for so long...and won't even face the punishment they deserve...like these guys.

What's the story here?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Koramei posted:

Presumably they're being executed.

And wow, I didn't expect people to be upset over them getting arrested (I'm not either) but I didn't think there'd be practically universal condemnation here. Especially after the reaction to the Red Army's rape march across Europe a few days ago.

If someone's 18/19 when they were a guard at Auschwitz in 1944/45 (were people under 18 ever used in the SS?), they were like 12/13 at the start of WW2. They were like seven when Hitler rose to power. They lived most of their lives up to that point being indoctrinated by their states' propaganda. Obviously that doesn't remove all of their culpability, but can everybody in this thread really say they would have been so much better- not necessarily to be literally guarding a death camp, but at least a participant in some sense- in a similar situation?

'Cause I don't think I can. Excepting that I'd have been, you know, dead.

and sort of related, how do people here think child soldiers should be treated?

I dunno, what's the current thought on the Nuremberg defense?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So with the advent of ICBMs are nuclear bombers still in use? Also did nuclear armed weapons change how tanks, ships, and infantry move and deploy? I assume if you go to war with a country who'll use tactical nuclear weapons the name of the game is stealth, high speed, and dispersed forces.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So say you had to/wanted to start a war with a nuclear armed country do you attempt to neutralize their nuclear weapons first (send in special forces to air bases, bomb the ever loving hell out of missile silos, find their boomers?) Or do you start a fight and hope they don't resort to tactical use of weapons?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So nuclear weapons have bought a sort of pax atom or something? When you can only use proxies to fight your wars it seems the ability to get much of anything accomplished via non-economics is limited.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ArchangeI posted:

Question: what do you do with the ones you don't hire, who are now a) armed, b) together and c) pissed off at you?

You use the 3.000 you hired to fight the 3.000 you didn't

Death match for contract in the first place is the correct answer. The winners are obviously better candidates.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

There's apparently a perception in Japan that they lost because of tech deficiency to America, which is some psuedo-science that someone proposed to explain why Japan loves giant robots so much.

If playing hearts of iron has told me anything its that Japan doesn't have the Industrial Capacity to screw with america on a war footing, but did they lag that far behind in tech? From what I've seen/read they really only lagged in small arms? I know they lagged in tanks, but how great are tanks in a war based around controlling the pacific which is mostly small islands or areas where tanks get bogged down? Id assume in that sort of scenario what you'd want is a kick rear end navy/air arm and an infantry which isn't too incompetent to seize islands and hold them if you had to make a cut it'd be in the small arms departments.

Edit: the more I think about it the conquest of Australia/China is the only place tanks could be undoubtedly useful?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 10, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

What's the closest that the cold war came to a full on land war between NATO and the USSR?

Has a proxy war ever gone hot between sponsoring countries? Say in Vietnam. If the US just said gently caress it and attacked the Chinese directly.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MrYenko posted:

IIRC, This is from a mid-late eighties FEMA brochure.

Glad to know that in case of nuclear exchanged, I'm not gonna have even a slight survival chance past the opening shots[In Atlanta]. Whats that giant cluster in North Dakota for? Missile silos? Why does the Mexican border get pasted in Texas?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

On the subject of Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical weapons. Difficulty in cleaning up the resulting mess aside. Do they have differing "battlefield" uses? Is one better for defensive use? Offensive use? Is one strictly better for area denial? I know chemical weapons are really the only one to have seen any tactical use, but maybe there may have been experiments done that could have given the military some idea?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

There's a gay bomb? How gay was it?

Referring to this I believe, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_bomb

Short answer: Theoretically, pretty gay.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 14, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Libluini posted:

Those schools must be really lovely.

Got schooled in Georgia, and was told the opposite. That it was about Slavery with states rights as a side effect. So I don't know where the hell these schools are if they're not in the stomach of the [former] Confederacy.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Koramei posted:

I got schooled in Massachusetts (and one of the most progressive parts of it at that, in a good school district for America) and the first time I was taught about the civil war it was the lost cause version. I'm pretty sure that was mostly 'cause of the particular teacher though.

I think we had a thread on this at one point, but this is literally all you'd have learned about the civil war over two years[You'd have seen it in Georgia History 8th grade, and again in US History 10th grade].

Slavery is a thing, Lincoln Elected, States think Lincoln is gonna "TAKE ARE SALVS!", Fort Sumter happened, ANACONDA PLAN!, Gettysburg Address[LINCOLN TOOK ARE SLAVS!], Sherman Marches to the Sea, War Ends, COCA COLA!!!! The war as a lost cause isn't presented, because battles and stuff like that aren't discussed in any depth besides the highlight reel. You wouldn't really know people died in war if it wasn't painfully obvious that that's what happens in war.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 26, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Libluini posted:

:stonk:

Man, I'm so sorry for you guys. I just blindly assumed your schools get their money from a budget made by sane people, payed for by money from all taxes equally. I never even contemplated a system like this, I'm genuinely feeling guilty for not having been subject to bullshit like this. And my country isn't even investing well or much in schools, it's actually kind of bad! We just, you know, haven't tied our school-system to a single tax like morons would do. Like your politicians apparently.

Ouch.

The big thing I don't think non-US citizens understand is that the United States are a bunch of united states, so states with generally low tax incomes with have generally poorer services, at a statewide level not to mention at the county level. I mean look at the education metrics of say Massachusetts vs West Virginia and you'll see a big divide.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 26, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

On one hand, Georgia burned down. On the other kickin rad new capital for Georgia.

Tevery Best posted:

Out of curiosity, what are American standardized tests used for? Over here it's essentially a base for admission to a better school at the next level (including universities), which I think is better than having uneven standards across the board, with different institutions admitting based on different criteria.
There are two:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Child_Left_Behind_Act

TLDR: if your school does well in testing, it is a good school and should have funding. If your school does poorly in testing it is a bad school and should not have funding.

The other one is the SAT/ACT which is used for college admissions and grants.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Bacarruda posted:

Coming soon: Abwher fucks up, the Brandenburgers lead the way into Poland and get another name.

Really cool stuff. Cannot wait.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

bewbies posted:

[Who the hell puts outs Mechanized infantry without MANPADs, or dedicated anti air support vehicles?]
The US Army.

:911:

IS this because the US Army tends not to fight people with Air support?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

As far as drones goes, what's the problem with infantry just trying to shoot them with an M16 or an m240 or something?

Frostwerks posted:

I imagine there's just a revolving door and representatives from various agencies are just constantly showing up depending on who did what now. DEA for TCC, ATF for TFR, FBI for ADTRW/TVIV (star trek)

I remember reading something out of GIP, where some nuke guy started blabbering about nuke sub stuff and there was a huge spike of foreign IPs hitting something awful before the thread got taken down or something. If I had to guess there may be like ten dudes who are paid to read the aggregate of posts that get dinged due to sensitive words being said. Something Awful is gonna cause the downfall of the American Military and all goons will have seen it coming.

[Hi guys.]

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

I got in poo poo with the Russian government for writing how old tanks were built, sounds pretty dangerous to me.

There a neat story behind this?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So what made castles and large forts an attractive thing in war pre long range accurate artillery? Wouldn't it just be easier to pillage the land around the fort and then leave? It's not like the emplacement can hold enough troops to affect a large army?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

How do you put an AT mine on a roadway? I mean it seems pretty obvious where the mines would be right, just look for the dug up pieces of asphalt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Apply southern accent like you can only open your mouth a little bit and you get your answers. I got family in texas, and some of the great grand parents talk like this.

• Locked thread