Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think there was also some politicking there, with some rules of the comics code crafted to specifically gently caress over certain comic makers like William Gaines. Without the comics code, I don't think superheroes would have gotten as big as they did. It was really the only way to make an exciting story and still keep within the moral guidelines.

And in 2011 DC and Archie finally broke away from the comics code, rendering it defunct. Most of the companies that were around for its conception either went under or were bought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Personally, I don't think the British boarding American ships to impress British-born sailors is that big of a deal. They are still technically subjects of the crown, and the British probably need all the extra sailors it can get to deal with that nasty ol' Mr. Napoleon.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's hard to really judge wars as being good or bad, since all of them are the result of political machinations and any which way a whole lot of people die. WW2 tends to be the easiest to apply that sort of judgment to in retrospect, what with the holocaust and the thing Japan was doing in China, even if those weren't the motivating factors to leaders at the time.

For better or worse, US involvement of WW2 made it so that the US couldn't play isolationist and ignore world politics. When it was all over, the Marshall Plan helped Europe recover, and there was now a power block to deter Soviet expansion. I have no idea what the world would look like if imperial Japan was still A Thing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Didn't Wilson have a debilitating stroke after the Treaty of Versailles that would've mostly precluded him doing anything useful even if congress let him?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I read once that part of the reason the vikings were so successful was that Charlemagne banned forts (to prevent local landlords from gaining power), but I can never dig up extra sources to confirm it. Is there any truth to that?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How far would a roman legion get if they were transported into the present day, assuming that the army wasn't immediately called on them and they just had to deal with local police forces?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Wow, when I asked that question, I thought it would come down to an argument of how much killing could be done with a few assault rifles and how well legionaries could scrounge for supplies in the present day. I never expected the debate about crossing the road.

Although I suppose the Romans have had trouble dealing with cavalry before, and a wall of shields and spears would be even less effective against unfeeling hunks of metal doing 60.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the best hypothetical scenario where the Nazis "win" is if they tried offering good peace terms before the war turned totally against them, and turned out to be amazingly great at negotiation.

HEY GAL posted:

The Spanish Empire sometimes did the opposite, just absorbing entire bandit gangs, "all right in exchange for general pardons you're a tercio now and your leaders are now your officers. congrats." (Except the Sardinians, which the Spanish believed made terrible soldiers since they were too fierce.)

If the Sardinians were half as fierce as their cheese, I can understand not wanting anything to do with them.

edit: Seriously http://www.ilovecheese.co.uk/casu-marzu-worlds-dangerous-cheese.html

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 24, 2015

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Everybody was racist toward everyone else at the time. The Japanese weren't particularly singled out. Your ancestors' national origins and religion meant a whole lot in who you were allowed to hang out with. It was far more than just skin color.

Yeah, but there's differing degrees of bias. The German POWs in WWII got way better treatment in camps than the American citizens of Japanese descent.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Napoleon did some good things and some bad things. He wasn't the greatest politician, but he was one hell of a military leader.

Also he ended up defining the landscape of Europe for the modern era. He's a one man argument for the great man theory of history.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

But why do you name a kid after Naples if you had him in Corsica?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, I guess most great conquerors are defined more by what they destroy rather than what they leave behind.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Comstar posted:

And he didn't have the ghost of his dad's friend giving him targeting instructions either.

Prove it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What were the Japanese POW camps like anyways?

That is to say, the POW camps that America operated that they put Japanese into. I don't know of a better way to phrase that. I heard that the Germans got a pretty great setup all things considered.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

I love that somehow, this thread has managed to imply that the American War of Independence was fought by shithead racists who just wanted to stomp on brown people, thereby making Imperial Britain the good guys in the war.

gently caress yeah spin, we rock at it.

Well, if you're pro-native Americans, the British were the ones to root for, since they were the ones who didn't have as much motivation to immediately steal land from them.

Of course, if you really want to make a moral judgement on these people who lived 200+ years ago, you'll have to weigh that against the whole refusing to give the colonists representation in parliament and the taxes/regulations. Of course, racism is an issue that still has a lot of social pull these days, while all of the taxes and regulations the colonists faced are long dead, so they'll naturally seem a lot more petty in retrospect.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

OK, dumb question about the salt trade thing: did people not know they could evaporate seawater and have all the salt they could ever need?

I can sorta understand the Romans not knowing this, but this is China in the 1800s. I mean c'mon

Britain did a similar thing in India up until 1930. You can do a lot with some government muscle.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

It's a complicated question. The current administration is very much "We have a special relationship but definitely aren't two countries, please don't say that we're independent my god please," while the past administration seems to have mostly remained quiet but the now former president Lee Teng-hui (president from 1988 to 2000) has since said that Taiwan is indeed already independent and it's just a matter of making some formalities like an official name change and new constitution to make it apparent.

The problem is that China has publicly stated or implied that they'll simply invade and forcibly annex Taiwan if they go independent (or even try to perform diplomacy under the assertion that they're not One China) and that the Taiwanese people don't have the right to decide on independence. Since the People's Republic of China is an absolute juggernaut, publicly campaigning for independence is a good way to find yourself and your citizens royally hosed over.

In that case, what defines Taiwan's lack of independence? Do they pay taxes to mainland China? Do they follow laws that are passed by the rest of China? Because if not, they're as least as independent as Canada.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There was the whole plan with the FP-45 Liberator to drop super cheap pistols on enemy territory so that local resistance units could use them. I don't know if it ever actually happened though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Signatures used to be a big deal. Banks used to have entire departments constantly validating checks and receipts. They've strangely declined in importance ever since credit cards made things so much easier.

Does anyone here listen to The Dollop? It's not strictly military, but they do touch upon military things every so often. The last episode was about a surprisingly successful invasion of Canada. By the irish.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sticking a machine gun on a tank is the best idea and it ticks me off whenever I see tanks in fiction that just have one big gun and then of course it's just a big lumbering thing that can't really deal with infantry effectively.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nixon was a really interesting person. He did some good things, but he just couldn't cover up his mistakes nearly as well as other presidents. Also he just couldn't handle the media, and it probably broke him inside.

He tried to solve Vietnam with brute force, but when that didn't work, he at least had the sense to see that what he was doing wasn't working and to step back from it all.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

sullat posted:

The EPA was forced on him by Congress, and the Bretton Woods collapse was forced on him by the economy. Racial desegregation was led by the courts. I'll certainly agree that only Nixon could go to China, as Spock once said, but "saved millions of lives" is probably a little hyperbolic.

Cyrano4747 posted:

LBJ doesn't even belong in the same category as nixon. He's a really interesting president in that his foreign policy was a loving disastrous quagmire, but his domestic policy was probably the most influential between now and the Depression. The fact that he declined to run for office after he got through the bulk of his Great Society legislation is also interesting.

It's an amazing mix of the biggest foreign policy fuckup in US history with some of the most important progressive domestic politics.

Foreign policy seems to be the one thing that the president has most control over. All the domestic policy decisions are the culmination of lots of different people working together/against each other to get things done, but over the US border, generally whatever the president says, goes. That's why I pay a lot more attention to foreign policy when voting.

I imagine if MacArthur had gotten himself elected, none of us would be here today.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Wasn't impressment fairly common in the navy? I thought that was half the point of all the beatings.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How awkward did that make interactions between Poland and East Germany?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Huh, I only knew about France's current South American holdings where they keep their space program.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Guiana

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How did early modern commanders command their troops on the battlefield? Would they ever have to fight personally?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've always thought it a little weird that people always talk about the soldiers who "gave their lives for their country" when they're talking about soldiers, which would seem to leave out the ones who came back alive.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Where can I find a good book on the 30 years war? I try looking in libraries and bookstores, but all I ever see on Germany is Hitler, Hitler, Hitler, Bismark, Hitler, and more Hitler.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

do you know german

Nope. I had the same problem the last time I was trying to learn about Germany.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Does anybody ever get hurt by falling bullets from flak cannons? What goes up has got to go down, right?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a reason why they have that army too. They've been involved in a bunch of poo poo down in Africa.

The surrender-monkeys thing really only seemed to spark up when they were against the US going into Iraq, but I wouldn't be surprised if it went back to the time when America tried to "fix" things after they pulled out of Vietnam.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Devlan Mud posted:

Not quite.

Aside from the gun, I can imagine one of these dudes walking around modern day Seattle.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think you made a mistake, this is clearly a picture of a snail.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tevery Best posted:

My favourite anecdote about this is how in 99% of languages the name for oxygen is scientifically inaccurate. This word, in Greek, is made up of ὀξύς - "acid" - and γείνομαι - "birthing". People back then believed that acids can only be formed if oxygen is present, hence the name. Latin takes it as is, Romance languages take it straight from Latin, English takes it from French and so on. German has "Sauerstoff", Russian has "кислород", both are the same thing. And so it goes on, and on, and on.

But, as you may have surmised, later on people have realised that there are acids that have no oxygen. And when the Poles started inventing their names for elements, someone decided that calling it "kwasoród" was stupid because of that. I don't remember the guy's name, but he suggested it should be called "tlen" instead, from "tlić", meaning "to burn"*, because you positively do need oxygen to burn poo poo.

And that is how Polish became the world's most scientifically accurate language. To a degree.

*I'm not sure about then, but today the word is rare enough that 99% of Poles would never realise the connection unless it is pointed out to them.

We really should've stuck with "phlogiston"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ensign Expendable posted:

The best way to support infantry for a tank is to knock out MG nests from behind, not serve as a fairly narrow shield. That said, armored sleds being towed behind a tank is a sweet way to swiftly transport infantry very quickly during the winter.

Eh, who needs the hassle of getting a sled? Just pile everyone up on there, maybe leave a handle on the tank if you're feeling generous.

How much do infantry march long distance these days anyways?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sparta didn't write things down, so all of their legacy is in probably very biased second hand accounts.

Edit: You know what's a good book about why/how the west dominated the world? This is. The guy actually uses metrics to judge the whole thing. You can debate whether population density and city size are the most important metrics to judge a society's dominance, but it's better than nothing.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 4, 2015

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the conclusive answer to most of these taxonomic questions like what counts as a science, what counts as art, or what is and isn't a sandwich, is that the whole question depends on a lot of undefined variables, and the answer to the question is ultimately meaningless. It's not like the science police are going to tackle you and take away your textbooks, and there isn't some holy pristine science citadel that will be sullied if other academic fields get too close to it. It's only a meaningless detail to quibble over to try to establish who is king nerd in the room.

And I mean, before you can even fully clarify what the boundaries of the term "science" are, there 's still questions like what are the boundaries of "history" as an academic field, because there are plenty of points where it blurs into other fields like archaeology and sociology and parsing out the details for all the various factors is incredibly boring and not worth the time it takes to do it.

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

I think you forgot to link the blog there.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How much work did mercenary companies put into taking care of their dead?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Looking at the colonies as an investment that's supposed to make returns kind of doomed colonization in the long run. If the US did that for states, then one bad fiscal year and we'd be ejecting things from the union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

i'm the superior spanish nutrition

also, chitoryu12, look for the most hippyish whole grain poo poo you can find. french army bread (dunno about spanish bread, or spanish biscuit) was ground with the husks on to boost weight without making it cost more

tell your girlfriend that new world hispanics still eat the poo poo out of salt cod. i used to live in a dominican neighborhood and it is saltier than you think it is, do not gently caress around with the preparation directions or you will be negatively surprised

How do you eat tomatoes with butter in those few areas where they overlap?

• Locked thread