Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PittTheElder posted:

Are they not structural reinforcement?

Aren't they wing twisting wires, taking place of the more modern flaps? IIRC there was a harsh competition between Curtiss patented flaps technology and the wing twisting method promoted by the Wrights, and I guess the patent battle that was part of this may have influenced airplane designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The crazy ones always survive.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hogge Wild posted:

your av and text are gold

Thanks, you've read the Svejk novels?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hogge Wild posted:

Yeah, and actually when I was a conscript myself. Timeless stuff. And I also watched this when I was a kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfMdakd4bHI

Man, that is a sad, sad parody of the original. Unfortunately it seems that there is no English translation of the awesome movie version starring Ruddolf Hrusinsky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDU2AEwCIuc
The Svejk moives are the pinnacle of our national culture, arguably.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 10, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Saint Celestine posted:

Wow. Is there anything they didnt think of strapping an ICBM to?

The moon (or at least that's what they want us to think)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SeanBeansShako posted:

Bayonet wounds as a whole were quite rare in the Napoleonic Wars, muskets and sabers from mounted troops did the main butchery in a heated race with the roundshot of the artillery. Bayonet charges at the best moment during battle usually persuaded the enemy to quit the field most of the time.

I remember reading that most Napoleonic soldiers never experienced a bayonet charge in which the two sides actually clashed front to front. It may have been one of the asides in War and Peace, though, so I don't know how reliable that is.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ArchangeI posted:

Napoleon and Wallenstein each coach a little league team

who wins

All of Napoleon's team gets killed trying to steal Wallenstein's team's mascot, but then Wallenstein gets assassinated and the league gets suspended.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

pthighs posted:

I prefer the very special episode where someone dies, forcing them to learn the true meaning of friendship

It seems that Clone High is basically the sitcom this thread would write. Including this very episode.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Japanese used shaped charges on a stick as one of their main man-wielded anti tank devices. It was probably superior to alternatives such as a mine on a piece of string.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FAUXTON posted:

Lunge mines?

Lunge mine gives too much dignity to what was basically a spear that kills its user.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JaucheCharly posted:

Stating the obvious, but do you have any idea what a Spieß would do to you, if you threw away your weapon, because you want to do X? More so, you don't throw away your honorable weapon.

So, did people care if you threw away your pike for a bit as long as you picked up a replacement later? Like soldiers leaving pikes behind to loot, then picking a random pike from the stash as they returned. Though I suppose there would be the fear of somebody snatching your weapon away and there being no readily available replacement.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

China seems like the world's ultimate tarpit for would-be conquerors, right up there with "The Graveyard of Empires" Afghanistan.

Does it? It has actually been conquered several times, and I'm not even counting the 20th century concessions to European imperial ambitions.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JcDent posted:

Looks simple enough for an idiot like me to use!

What is that instrument they place on it every time before discharging? Seems like a calibration instrumento of some sort, to ensure the gun hasn't been moved by fire?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So, the value of the missile mail experiment should be measured by the market value of the postage artefacts available today; sadly it seems that there was no unique postage printed for the missile dispatch, and that means missile mail envelopes sell for pretty low prices, around 15 USD.

Sad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kanine posted:

so ea just announced a battlefield game taking place in the first world war. this could either be awesome or bad but im just happy that attention is being paid to that conflict by a big game studio

what if the game has a chauchat

A video game will never capture
1) The months of sitting in a damp trench with your uniform and toes rotting off of you while your decomposing friends are reinforcing the retaining wall
2) The utterly nihilistic role of chance involved in whether you survive each step of your army's offensive action.

It will be just another victim of the Truffaut law.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sullat posted:

Hungarians are still upset by the Treaty of Trianon, apparently. Or perhaps I just stumbled into a revanchist military history exhibit, not sure which.

Hungary IS a revanchist history exhibit. The ruling party has adopted the Putinist agenda of asserting territorial claims by giving Hungarian citizenship to people in pre-Trianon Hungarian borders. They are also demanding that these regions should receive autonomy from their respective governments, and are inciting ethnic conflicts as a means to this end.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Mongols invaded before what we would now consider Russia existed.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

lenoon posted:

The hilarious amounts of wehraboos that still try to brawl with the Tiger despite everything in the game telling them not to suggests otherwise... "So tell me class, what factors led to allied victory in 1945?"

"RUSSIAN BIAS"

The superior analytical ability of the dialectic materialistic theory of war.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Taerkar posted:

There's so much dumb-thought going on with the PING myth it's amazing.

1) There's going to be more than 1 M1 out there. Once again this isn't the oh-so-realistic 'One v One' setting that so many internet comparisons need

2) The guy with the Garand is going to pop back into cover as soon as he fires off his last round

3) Reloading a rifle from an enbloc clip is neither hard nor time consuming.

4) As mentioned in that video, firefights are ear-fuckingly-loud.

Just to name a few

But in CoD you can one-shot a guy while he is stuck in the reloading animation, I don't know what you are talkin g about.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Anybody able to guess if the tungsten-core, tapered barrel design German WWII guns were a waste of strategic materials, or if they actually provided a tangible bonus to their war effort? Their anti-tank rifle using this technique seems very impressive on paper, and so does the 75mm gun, but I suppose quantity would trump quality in these cases.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Related question: Is there any possible way in which the Germans could maintain a supply of tungsten competitive with the West without the Allies simply obliterating the Nazi suppliers? I mean, if the Portuguese and Spanish continued their supply routes to Germany, do you think the Allies would have acted upon their breaches of neutrality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ensign Expendable posted:

The Allies weren't exactly swimming in tungsten either.

Obviously, given that a single shipwreck could lead to the loss of 1/3 pf global supply. Still, they ended up having a much greater pool for industrial tool replacements due to their intimidation of the Iberian fascists.

• Locked thread