Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Hi thread! I'm putting together a (very) light strategic board game for a friend, based on the wars of medieval Europe. For balance purposes I need to divide the bit covered by today's Germany into two seperate regions/zones/provinces. Any thoughts on the least worst way to do this? Also I have learnt that maps of the HRE are literally incomprehensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
High medieval- no gunpowder, plenty of interestingly dreadful stabby things.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Thanks, looks like I'll be going with the sausage equator method!
It might be an Australian thing, but I have real problems getting my head around the history of any region that can't be defined by its coastline. Maybe if I start imagining the Alps as just a taller, rockier ocean with very few sharks?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Okay, that works, there's a fair bit of coastline there. And I'm digging the bite taken out of the south east border by the Most Serene Republic...
Again, apologies for butchering the history & culture of an entity ten times older than my home town for the sake of a board game, but if it's any consolation, even Byzantium had to be left out entirely.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
This thread is very frustrating: it has made my standards too high. I am now stuck with the urge to retroactively smack the head of every history teacher I ever had that made ww1 boring, and every poster on the net waffling about how Tolkien's works are Bad because they celebrate a regressive culture and were written by a sheltered academic. Sigh.

E:for the grammars

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 19, 2016

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Kemper Boyd posted:

Tolkien was also incredibly poor for a long period of his life.

That's interesting. Like, genuinely poverty-stricken?
There's a really heartbreaking line after Sam helps Frodo escape the tower, and tells Frodo that thinking about the ordeal will only make it worse. (Can't remember the exact wording.) It's easy to imagine a young Tolkien being given the same advice in the trenches.
Tolkien always comes across as such a sensitive person. I will never understand how he came out of the war with his sanity and genius intact.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I need those hats in my life

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Pershing posted:

Re: the Somme, didnt see this posted yet.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2016/jul/01/wearehere-battle-somme-tribute-acted-out-across-britain

Reenactors across Britain standing silently today and handing out their identities if you speak to them.

Super drat :smith:

Wow, powerful stuff. I imagine the singing would be pretty hair raising to behold.
Incidentally I've been following the excellent ww1 blog, especially since Tolkien got on board, and there is something so unsettling about seeing the words "actions in progress: Armenian Genocide" day after day after day after day after day...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Grenrow posted:

I have the sudden mental image of Mad Max: Thirty Years War Edition, where you have the guitar guy on the drummer truck, but instead it's a flag twirling guy on a wagon full of drummers.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

How do you say "witness me, bloodbag" in German?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

wdarkk posted:

Russian scare? Was there a fear of Imperial Russia invading New Zealand?

I don't know about New Zealand, but just next door, the fear of Russian invasion contributed to the Australian states federating. Because clearly Russia was suffering a shortage of mineral-rich, sparsely inhabitated wastelands??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

chitoryu12 posted:

My favorite part is how it starts by saying that chain mail was virtually impervious, then says that knights' swords were designed specifically to make it pervious.

"Pervious" is my new favourite word, thanks!
On that note, sort of, when I was 11, I misread the caption on a picture and concluded that pikemen were mounted troops....

• Locked thread