Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
To be fair, during the last months around Berlin, there were some pretty crazy red and yellow checkerboard patterns on the bottom of German aircraft, since German AA gunners assumed that the Luftwaffe didn't exist when firing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I also wonder what the down-pressure was. Those tracks look really loving wide, even taking into account just how huge the whole thing is. No numbers or anything, but I'm willing to bet that it applied less pressure per square inch than a Sherman.

The Tiger 1E applied less pressure per square inch than the Sherman. When its suspension wasn't broken down at least.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

shallowj posted:

would cemeteries really contaminate a water supply all that badly? WHO says that corpses are unlikely to spread "outbreaks of diseases such as typhoid fever, cholera, or plague", but they can transmit gastroenteritis / food poisoning type disease. and this is in reference to corpses scattered about in crisis situations, not buried bodies. wouldn't the coffin / burial method provide some layer of protection to the water table ?

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/hygiene/envsan/tn08/en/

From about 1860, at least in America the preferred embalming method included as much as several gallons of arsenic pumped into the body. That certainly does contaminate water supplies, even if the buried corpse doesn't much.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

That Mosier guy sounds like some of the people I know from hobby stores that are huge Nazi apologists and have raging erections for anything German. Except he's in the position to publish his nonsense.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Really brief tankchat:

Does anyone know why the Panther designation goes from Ausf. D (1/43 to 9/4) to Ausf. A (8/43 to 6/44)?

The Ausf D should really be Ausf d, but because ~reasons~ is capitalized. Prototype/early model vehicles got lower-case letters, while full production vehicles got capital letters. Someone somewhere confused something about the Ausf D, hence why it's out of order-ish. At least that's how I remember it. I dunno. Nazis are weird.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

To be fair, if you were stationed in China, being in the IJA wouldn't be nearly as terrible as being on some lonely island garrison awaiting utter annihilation because Japan has no more ships. I don't know if that'd be better or worse than being in the Red Army proper, but you know.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

My paternal grandfather was at Pearl Harbor.

In 1942. He was a welder by trade, so ended up spending the war at Pearl repairing submarines. From what I've heard and seen he had a grand old time.

My maternal grandfather was a replacement tank driver in the marines, and was in a Sherman zippo on Iwo Jima.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Frostwerks posted:

Wasn't there a troop ship of some type that participated in the d-day landings that actually was launched from Hampton Roads? I ask because I think it was in the previous iteration of the thread and a bunch of folks said no way and somebody actually provided an infographic.

You might be confusing this with the task force in Operation Torch that sailed from North America straight to North Africa.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

mllaneza posted:

So the wreck of the IJN Musashi has been found. Here's a shot of the bow:

https://twitter.com/paulgallen/status/572431062522982400

This is really cool, I hope it gets a fraction of attention the Bismarck finding did (it probably will not).

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

tonberrytoby posted:

Also, when was the last time a warship was captured at sea in reusable condition? Excluding ships surrendering at the end of a war, I suppose.

I believe the last ships to strike their colors to enemy vessels was the Russian fleet at the conclusion of Tsushima.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Actually what are good books on the Eastern Front in general.

Probably anything by David Glantz? I haven't gotten around to reading anything of his yet, however.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Pretty sure we Americans weren't having Christmas football matches with any enemy combatants in the Second World War, Japanese or not.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Are those bombs really so durable that you're going to get much use out of whatever parts they splat into if they drop 30,000ft without a detonation?

Edit: I suppose unexploded bomb removal being a thing kinda proves me silly, so.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Klaus88 posted:

What's bullshit and what's not about this exercise?

Instantaneous communications via motorcycle messenger, amongst other things, such as actually loading the ordnance on said tiny torpedo boats, iirc. That exercise seems to be a recurring topic here every few months.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Xerxes17 posted:

Sure it was done at times; but I get the impression that it was relatively rare compared to Shermans which seemingly had the M2 installed on it at the factory as a basic part of the design.

If I recall correctly, German operating procedure was to put the hull MG on the cupola mounting for road marches, they weren't issued a gun to sit in that mount 24/7.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

gently caress off Keldoclock.

Seriously, just gently caress off and take your meds.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

These were promised for World of Tanks and I am pissed they still aren't there.

I'm waiting for the Sturmtiger and Brumbar in the original tech tree.

Or would be, if I still played and/or gave a drat about that game. Soz for derail.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

They wore knee length breeches, tailcoated jackets and gaiters and bicornered hats?
Not quite.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Chillyrabbit posted:

Wasn't there a tiger tank guide that emphasized positioning your tank around clock time positions? I can't remember the exact specifics of it though.

Yes, but it was more of guide saying at what distances Allied armor could penetrate the Tiger from the front/sides/rear and not much more complicated than that.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I think it was briefly mentioned a few months ago closer to when the series was announced, mostly with eye rolling about the absurdity of the premise.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

not alfred bester from the tv show, alfred bester from the old rear end books

also everything's about the holocaust

Bester has a short story that does time travel okay in which the Nazis are book-burning aryan thugs in castles and the cool kids that aren't nazis are mole people that can read and aren't huge assholes riding lizards.

Or something. Bester is great. Draining the Med just sounds like a good way to get a whole fuckload of rotting fish-flesh in a giant basin.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Wasn't there at least one guy who got acquitted on the grounds of 'we should probably be lenient here, given that we [the Western Allies] have been doing the exact same thing?'

Yeah that was Doenitz and charges of waging unrestricted submarine warfare. Not that the guy wasn't a huge Nazi true believer, regardless.

e: welp

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Panther tank had 40mm side armor
M4 had 38mm (to 45mm on some variants? but no mention of which ones)
T-34 had 45mm

M4 had it at the vertical, and also had ammo stored in the sponsons so I don't know why that's classified as operational and not design.

The panther is 33% heavier than both those tanks and has marginally better (or worse!) side armor than each. It's not complicated.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Also, the photograph of Jellicoe in Castles of Steel is this American's idea of the most British-looking person ever.

Jellicoe climbing the ladder to Iron Duke's bridge? I thought that was a pretty cool photograph myself. (As an American.)

EDIT: only GIS result has a big dumb watermark over the top but it's a good photo I swear.

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 27, 2016

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

wait, his ship was named Iron Duke? :britain:

The Royal Navy has the best ship names basically ever. Apart from maybe US submarines circa WW2, but I may be biased since my paternal grandfather and my uncle served with them.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Despite the dumbass stock image bullshit, I dare you to find me a better ~ACTION POSE~ of an Admiral.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

wallenstein owns something like half of bohemia, on which he has military supplies of all kinds made, raises silkworms, brews beer, and makes vermouth (because he drinks it straight).

He truly is crazy :psyduck:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

LLSix posted:

It would be so awesome.

Gonna need to convert that force to Jetskis thanks to global warming.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Given Wilhelm II's penchant for margin comments, I'm not surprised in the least.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

House Louse posted:

Why was this a big deal? If the USSR would be coming through Prussia, Germany's hosed anyway, doesn't matter where your estates are.

It was a bigger concern to the junkers in 1914 with Russians marching towards East Prussia at the start of WW1 than in 1944/45 when the poo poo had already hit the fan in WW2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

In fairness there is a little bit of back and forth and context that is missing there; notably I mentioned the T-34-85 (and the Sherman) were the best tanks in the war overall from an operations perspective; and that variant of the T-34 was a late addition to the war; here's what started it though it isn't specifically that he's a Wehraboo, he's just weird:

fuckin lol comparing 2016 USA to fuckin 1932 Weimar Germany

• Locked thread