Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I've never seen Detroit shortened to DBH so that threw me, but I also have no idea what Dragon Ball Heroes is. :v:

That tattoo seems in pretty drat poor taste, but I don't really get the attitude in the tweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, but from the sound of their first tweet it sounds like they've been complaining about people liking Detroit before this tattoo? Idk I don't wanna dog on this hard it just sounds like someone being overly cynical finding the one example of a total idiot.

Honest question: Is the placement the same? Like, I can't imagine this is the first time someone's tattoo'd numbers on themselves, but through the lens of what parallels the game draws for the androids to the holocaust I can see how this in particular is very tasteless/problematic.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dota2 is good in the sense that it is a popular and successful game, and probably makes for the best competitive moba, and is up there for competitive games in general. But boy do I not enjoy one bit of what it does personally. MoHun's archaic rear end mechanics at least lead to fun combat. Dota2 is just a parfait of archaic garbage that's kind of unpleasant at almost all layers.

Captain Invictus posted:

And even then world has got some big issues. I tried a few earlier ones with a friend who was nuts for them and that poo poo is positively impenetrable without dumping lord knows how much time into and accepting some archaic-rear end game mechanics. He wanted me to get into them but it must take dozens of hours to get the hang of them, and that's never a good thing.

I'm not sure I can agree. I went into MHW with minuscule knowledge of the series and "impenetrable" is total hyperbole. The early part of the game is pretty heavily guided and you can pretty easily tackle it with a strategy of "carry potions, hit the monster, collect parts and make better weapon." The way weapons and attacks and combat works isn't that different from a souls game - you need to learn what attacks work, how to time stuff, and what sorts of items to use to give you an edge.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

No doubt there's fun to be had in good plays, I just don't like all the crap around it.

If I have to play a moba, I got to HotS since it's almost the Smash Bros of that genre.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I will never tire of “surely you will get the karkland” and how much it gets Pat

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

A good poster posted:

I wouldn't have expected them to record a podcast on Canadian Thanksgiving.

I think most people end up doing the family thing on Sat/Sun (at least, my family always has) - Monday just ends up as a day off.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

If I twist my brain hard enough, I think I can understand where Pat's coming from on this gameboy stuff, but boy, does he seem like a crazed person. His reasoning of the lineup being pretty much just "mario, pokemon and zelda" feels like it could just as well be applied to the NES. (Which doesn't even have pokemon!)

I feel like I view the NES almost like Pat's viewing the Gameboy. I just can't bring myself to care about the lineup. It pales in comparison to it's successor, if not more so then the GB compared to the GBC.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tae posted:

Pat was harping on woolie saying there's a lot of good gameboy games. He stretched like 10 at most.

Name me 10 good NES games, you can only say Mario once.

poo poo like Excitebike doens't count. I refuse to believe anyone finds that stuff fun for more then 5 minutes. :colbert:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

theres literally hundreds of enjoyable nes games

I want to be a Pat here and say gently caress the NES and start making excuses for why a bunch of these games are lame and don't count but I'll just take the L.

I just wasn't too hot on the NES Mini and most of Nintnedo's typical NES 1st party offerings.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

top ten list of anime intricacy derails

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, SNES fuckin owns. NES is no doubt important, and has gems of it's own.

I'm just tired of how much Nintendo puts NES first. Gimme SNES Online on the Switch!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I've generally liked Pat as being kind of a self-aware stubborn idiot, but yeah, when it's just being contrarian and seeking amusement out of annoying others it's gotten a bit tiring.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Having done retail for awhile it definitely felt like some customers were really trying to get one over. It certainly wasn't everyone. But there was definitely types. (Basically anyone with multiple coupons.)

But never really felt the need to like "return" the attitude just because I did the time. It's supposed to be the other way; you're not supposed to be a dick because you knew it sucked.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Catching up on the podcast, and jesus, Pat's core argument w/r/t to Smash feels like it's on it's own it's own level of Pat Crazy.

"You should be as angry at Nintendo for not putting it out early in response as your are at the leakers" :psyduck:

I mean, I can understand the consumer rights perspective / argument to preloading, and not valuing the company's business/finances over the interest of the consumer.

I mean, the idea of digital games going live a bit early has always been a cool one, and something I've hoped with on some games in the past - but with such a large release, and one that a lot of people are probably buying physical, the idea that a company should just put it out early is completely insane. Do they just tell Amazon and other online retailers to ship it out ASAP? What about stores that might have some copies, but not their full release day prep stock?

But yeah, I think it's a bit more reasonable to be angry at people breaking street date, people uploading the game, or people spoiling the game contents then it is to be at the company for not engaging in a logistical nightmare because of the former group.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dias posted:

Pat's stance on the Smash leaks is weird, but I don't get why people are incredibly up in arms about it, I guess maybe if you live in a Smash-centric internet bubble you might get spoiled accidentally? The community doesn't seem like it's full of people that would do that, in fact it seems like it's quite the opposite.

I haven't gone digging but it seems less "up in arms" and more 'annoyed/bummed."

I think a lot of people have been getting excited / anticipating it, and want to go in getting surprised and excited by all the little things, like music, "story" and even just little gags, even if they aren't a big deal in the bigger scheme. The whole game and release feels like a bit of an event, and spoilers/leaks kinda take a bit of excitement out of it. Like, discovering and sharing stuff about a newly released game is always fun when you're apart of it, and it's kind of less fun when everyone's done it the week before it drops.

I also think it's the fact that we're so close to release that's getting people frustrated because, at least personally, I want to try to avoid having the little things spoiled, but it's really hard to resist the urge to check out what people are talking about and stay out of the loop.

Another way to look at it, is it feels like this is stuff that doesn't need to be spoiled/leaked? Like roster or stages, in the situation that Nintendo didn't just reveal them all ahead of time, I could see being a divisive but understandable thing to spoil. On one had, it'd be a lot more spoilery, on the other, that's the juicy poo poo you actually want to know.

I don't really need to know what tracks or spirits are in the game - it'd be more fun to find that on my own I think.

I think it's also just a factor of knowing a bunch of people are playing it while you're still waiting is a bit of a bummer.

Tae posted:

There's literally no point in a conversation between someone that's slightly bothered by spoilers and someone that has complete apathy.

This is probably a much more succinct way to put it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's funny to see Newgrounds eat it up too.

But I can't imagine it's going to cover the sort of "community" that tumblr has. Twitter seems to be the other alternative but it also sucks in it's own way and doesn't really support the longer format content that people make on tumblr.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Aw hell, clicked the video hoping it was some kind of gag. :( Was wondering why we didn't get a fisticuffs/scrublords

WampaLord posted:

Aw man, this sucks. :smith:

Never turn your friendship into a business, I guess.
Yeah, one of the bigger bummers is hearing them outright say Matt and Pat aren't friends anymore.

Justice Sloth posted:

I'm glad they were honest and transparent about it and we didn't get a vague non-answer game grumps debacle.
Not gonna stop people from speculating about everything behind the scenes. Won't lie I'm finding myself wondering what exactly happened. I mean, this doesn't feel like the most surprising outcome, but I figured Matt and Pat still had some rapport; the Star Trek LP was real fun and I'm getting bummed out as I write this out thinking about how we won't get more.

This is a real bummer, while I kinda like their side content, none of it really fills the hole of lazy-watch material that the LPs do. On the upshot, I've had less time to keep up LPs lately and I guess that will no longer be a problem.

Glad there's gonna be Woolie and Pat podcast going forward - guess we got our wish of Chewie and Fuckface.

gently caress, it's kinda wild to think I feels like just a few years ago I checked it out a whim as a result of Pat/Woolie Being on Slowbeef's podcast.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I hating think there's bad blood between anyone. I mean, there must be to some degree, but its a bummer regardless.

Rhonne posted:

Who gets custody of Billy?
Billy had a goodbye too:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DrManiac posted:

What’s this about pat’s girlfriend being nazi adjacent?

From what I understand she's retweeted/follows and has been on the show of people who have said some bad poo poo, and when called on it, got very defensive and kinda just always passes it off as "I can't vet everyone I follow."

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

quote:

like how frodo had to leave middle earth to die years after being stabbed by a nazgul but the wound never healed
except Omikron is the Nazgul

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dias posted:

Retail can break your brain and you probably deal with a number of lovely people actually trying to get one over on you or making petty complaints while threatening your livelihood, so it's easy to get a distorted worldview when you're already a short-fuse.

As someone short-fused who worked retail: this absolutely.

Plus, it's not like we haven't seen Pat be pro-consumer in other regards.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm not sure where it's coming from, but apparently Matt is cutting ties to Woolie too? I saw a lot of people mentioning it on a couple different sites and I'm not sure if it's just a case of Woolie being with Pat and getting confused or what.
I hope there isn't anything that went down between them, but I could see it as more of a "Matt and Woolie don't really have anything to collaborate on/ want to work on their own things." Matt more or less has built a very distinct thing with his own channel at this point.

Wonder if the Fighterpedia remake stuff is still happening.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It was along the lines of "Wishing the best for everyone BUT Pat." so uh, yeah take it for what you will

It got deleted and remade when people were like "what about Pat?"

To be clear it was that Matt, Woolie and Liam all got @'d in the tweet but Pat was left out, not expressly called out.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Monicro posted:

Game grumps are good if you've never checked them out, the "new" (ie since jontron left which at this time is like 5x the amount of jontron videos) duo has an unbelievable amount of chemistry and similarly to most of SBF they're very good boys poltically. They're doing a spooky games thing right now which isn't a great first impression as they go a bit overboard with Getting Spooked, but super mario party and monopoly are both fantastic recent series' they've done

Was thinking of recommending Grumps as well. Dan and Arin have good chemistry, but a downside is they don't really finish out games as much - a lot of the time they do trial runs, and continue if they're interested or reception is good. Probably better for their mental health and video quality.

10 Minute Power Hour is a great weekly watch too.

I don't think you're going to replicate SBF's "flip out when the game breaks hilariously' though.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nalesh posted:

Honestly it feels more matts fault than pats, with the whole crym making snide remarks on twitter about pat trying to reconcile with liam, and matt removing woolies channel from his channels sidebar.

I feel bad trying to read into these things too much. It's probably silly to blame over the other because there's probably a bit of both. We've all seen how abrasive Pat can be, even if it's always in jest that probably can wear on you.

I do feel bad for Pat on the idea of him not really understanding Liam disliking him and the such.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

J.A.B.C. posted:

3) One channel or the other to pick up the Shitstorm mantle, because I will miss that.

I doubt anyone will be taking the shitstorm name specifically, since its basically a shorthand for "Matt and Pat's Shitstorm of Scariness" but Matt apparently did a bunch of horror games on his streams/channel this year, so I imagine he's the most likely to continue the tradition of having an outright marathon/themed month. I could also see Pat streaming a bunch of horror games in October since that's a thing to do, but I got the impression he's more into bigger title horror games like Silent Hill and Resident Evil rather then the indie and euro jank that'd crop up on the shitstorm.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Phantasium posted:

mine works like the start of that anime where the loser protagonist has no friends and suddenly has a bunch of them, except i'm stuck in the start of episode 1

I feel like I'm that one supporting/friend to the protagonist who maybe did something cool at one point, but now is basically irrelevant to the story but continues tagging along for reasons no-ones quite sure of.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

OneDeadman posted:

The real loss here is the loss of hate fueled play throughs of David Cage games

We can always hope there's just never another David Cage game. It's probably better for everyone.

Otherwise, I'd really like to hope that with some time between now and whenever that theoretical game is, it's something they'd be okay getting together to do a stream of it or something.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Speaking of seasonal depression, I'm about a month away from mine, and I got just a little bit extra bummed I won't have some long and dumb SBF lp to help fight it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's possible she's privy to a bit more on what caused the friction - I can see the urge to vent/speak up if you know someone who's hurt/been lovely to friends or acquaintances and is basically repeating those behaviours. At the same time I don't think it really helped anything, and I generally don't like these sorts of subtweeting scenarios cause all it does is lead to more speculating and drama.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Phantasium posted:

guy who owns superbreastfriendcast@gmail.com is finally relieved of email forwarding duty

...what was the wrong email that was forwarding them? superbestfriends@gmail? Maybe it went over my head, but It feels like they avoided saying it as not to reaffirm the wrong thing, but I've always puzzled over what near miss would actually be owned by someone totally unaware? I swear at some point they made it sound like it was some nice old lady that had it or something.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if they considered that, but came to the conclusion of "why bother with the channel then?" If there's any truth to the tensions about the money stuff, I imagine that would have only soured the situation further.

I do find myself wondering what exactly was the nature of Matt and Pat's friendship - we do know it started off as a business thing that apparently grew into a friendship, but at least from the past few years it didn't really sound like they ever did much together outside of the channel?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I've brought the term sandbagging to some friend groups.

TaurusOxford posted:

Anything made by David Cage will forever be "the bad game" said with a bad french accent.

"Ze bad game" and "Sadness Trilogy/Quadrology"

It's awkward to properly quote/reference, but Woolie quoting his one boss that said "keep it up" is something I find myself wanting to reference a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The idea that it's so cold out that you're taking damage is something seared into my head thanks to the Best Friends.