Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I did not know there was a Best Friends thread, I'm glad there is one so I can stop posting in the Giant Bomb thread because that place makes me want to die. They are probably my favorite YouTube "Let's Play"ers, if you can call them that. I like Pat the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The non-machinima full playthroughs pretty much are let's plays by the standard definition. It's just that they, despite being popular (the hypest channel on youtube, even), don't fall into the usual crap most YouTube LPers do like pointless facecams et cetera.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm actually surprised they can even have a personal channel, because Machinima is absolute hell to work with. Their demands are very unrealistic and they're super restrictive in what they will allow you to make. The Freeman's Mind dude, Ross Scott, actually moved closer to the Machinima offices so that he could work with them and then when he found out that they were taking advantage of him, he was stuck in his contract with them and couldn't make any more episodes of Freeman's Mind until he figured out a way to get out of it. They kept changing his contract without even telling him:

quote:

I will say that in my opinion this was NOT a good contract in terms of rights regarding my videos. It would have turned over so much control to Machinima.com that I don’t think I could sign it even if I was just starting off today. Machinima.com’s standard contract has changed a LOT since I first signed with them and I advise anyone considering signing up with them to read it thoroughly AND get some sort of legal advice. You might be amazed with what it says they can do.

quote:

I was only told of the new contract changes by ACCIDENT (I found out later I was supposed to have been informed in November). I didn’t find out about much bigger changes to Youtube and monetization until January (which was also supposed to have been told to me in November).

Until this was finally resolved yesterday, this whole situation has been an ongoing nightmare for me. My income has crashed, I was stuck in limbo waiting on vital information from Machinima and it felt like everything was moving in slow motion.

Meanwhile, fans have been pissed because there are no new videos and I’ve been gradually running out of money. I couldn’t release new videos because the terms had changed and I didn’t have a new offer yet. I couldn’t leave and put videos elsewhere because I needed to hear what their offer was and if there wasn’t proper communication with Machinima.com, they could come shut me down, thinking I was violating my contract, even though I was waiting on them!

Ross Scott's contract basically said that Machinima owned the rights to Freeman's Mind, and his ability to make videos about Half-Life, and all Accursed Farms videos from thereon, even though Accursed Farms is his personal endeavor and isn't related to Machinima at all. They're pretty much scumbags. I think most of the reason the Best Friends get away with as much leniency as they do is because they have a variety show in which they play different games each week, instead of a single episode-driven show like Freeman's Mind.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 27, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like all of the best friends but I think Matt might actually be my least favorite, if only because he does that thing annoying people do where they imitate something that has just been said and laugh at their own memes. When he isn't doing that he's fine. I find Liam's taste in anime to be odd, but acceptable. His opinions on non-anime things are a little weird but I like videos where he's paired up with Woolie.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Having watched his bomb-rear end review series I can say that most of Matt's insufferable-ness comes out when he's on his own but thankfully that doesn't happen very often. It's not a big complaint, I just don't think the guy is as funny as he thinks he is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I'm in pain :negative:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Berserk is pretty loving boss.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Was playing Shovel Knight, which just released today, and hey look who it is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Invictus posted:

If it overwhelmed absolutely everything then it's fine they shut it off, if only there was a way to moderate the flow of it a bit so that they weren't getting stuff nonstop. The mailbags are always fun because you never know what'll show up.

It did. Did you miss the part where Woolie was talking about how he had to take like two duffel bags and a garbage bag and Liam for help every time he went to get packages from their inbox? And the fact that every mailbag is 40+ minutes long now?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also there was that time they got two of the seven hundred dollar Gurren Lagann limited edition box sets within a span of 10 minutes. I think that's probably a good cause for saying "you guys are being TOO generous knock that poo poo off"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

watho posted:

I need to see this, link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjOWt1rBw1E&t=3270s

From here till the end of the vid.

edit: Liam was so frightened of it being the same 700 dollar box set that he actually prayed for Fate/Stay Night instead. :haw:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 29, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This is still the best mailbag moment for me though just because Woolie is so exasperated. What's so wrong about sending your favorite Youtube video team an elaborately framed photo of Steve Buscemi?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

so what exactly makes the box set of this japanese cartoon so expensive?

It's not just the box set, it's a limited special edition box set. Look up what's actually IN the special edition box set and it'll probably make more sense.

edit: You're not going to do that and it still kinda doesn't so I'll just dump the features here:

+ The two feature length movies
+ The whole series on blu-ray (the blu-ray part makes it exorbitantly more expensive because people are still pushing blu-ray)
+ A bunch of extra behind the scenes making of videos
+ The Nascent Era book Woolie talked about that has a complete translation of the whole drat thing as well as a lot of developer interviews translated to English because most of the world that's not Japanese can not read their language
+ A whole bunch of early artwork and storyboards
+ All of the soundtracks over the series' lifespan

All of that equates to 500-600 dollars worth of limited edition. It's basically a collector's item and like all collector's items, its price is marked up because of text on the box that calls it that (and also what Tae and hoobajoo said). You buy it because you like Gurren Lagann a lot.

This is the anime version of that Pink Floyd 'Dark Side of the Moon' Box Set that contains all of this crazy poo poo:

(look at that loving scarf)

Just as that box set is for people who really loving love Pink Floyd, this is for people who really love TTGL.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 30, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Anime nerds will pay a lot for things they like. :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Except unlike those it's not actually true!

edit: Woolie is my favorite best friend sorry Matt :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

roach cum puddle posted:

See, I don't know what any of those Woolie things mean, making me realize there's a lot more to this zaibatsu conglomerate. Has anyone ever made a spergy-wiki-type place that has the origins of podcast jokes/trivia?

There is a two best friends play wikia, yes.

I don't know why it exists, no.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like watching them play games like No More Heroes if only so I can listen to them all go YEEEAAAAHHHHH whenever something stupid/awesome/stupid and awesome happens.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

I did a breaking bad rewatch instead and that worked pretty good since it starts off so ridiculously.

Rewatching Breaking Bad made me hate the show so goddamn much. On my first watch I didn't notice how retardedly paced the first few episodes are.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh yeah, Ghost Rider 1 was goddamn awful, but it was so funny I don't even care. The best part is that Ghost Rider only gives him the souls so that he technically counts as being human so that he can do his crazy Ghost Rider bullshit and kill him :haw:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Watamote suffered sitcom progression syndrome (:tvtropes: would call it Flanderization) in its entirety in the one season it existed for.

Tomoko's introverted nature very quickly became the entire subject of the thing and it stopped being played for dark humor and started being played for actual humor. Then by the end of it Tomoko was basically a caricature of herself-from-the-first-episode, and it was hard to feel bad for her because the last few episodes centered around her being a huge idiot rear end in a top hat. It felt less about "Tomoko wants to be popular!" and more about "what will that WACKY Tomoko get into next??" which sucks.

Also they waited to pull the "Tomoko actually might be a little bit gay???" twist until the very end and it was like what.

edit: Oh, :tvtropes: is a real emoticon. That's good to know, and accurate too.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 15, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ApeHawk posted:

It's probably looking for its own murder.

:thurman:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

cmykjester posted:

Lol if you read reviews.

Lol if you like to find out what a video game is potentially like before you buy it instead of just blindly grabbing it and hoping for the best. :confused:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I guess the keyword is "read" here. Footage doesn't show off what the game is actually like to play unless it's commentated on by the person playing, which is why I like sites like Giant Bomb et cetera. If a game feels lovely to play, you will hear about it from the person who is doing the playing.

A lot of the time reviews are full of people trying desperately not to insult the video game like they're gonna hurt its feelings and personally I think the concept of "video games journalism LOL" would disappear if people were more harsh towards lovely video games/video game practices.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Obviously the correct solution is to send them a steel briefcase full of money, tell them to dangle it from the ceiling in the unboxing room and get a ladder, and boom, new wrasslin video.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Compendium posted:

They pointed a lot of things about the game already that doesn't quite work and one of them that Pat mentioned and I agreed with is how the main character doesn't have a lot of charisma or presence. Like, I wouldn't be able to tell you what his traits were aside from gritty, detective man.

He's Alan Wake if Alan Wake was a ghost.

Soul Suspect is an okay game but it's not especially great. Some of the mechanics look pretty janky.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pat is the best non-Woolie member of the zaibatsu so unfortunately it seems your wife has what I like to call "the crazies".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Previously the lighting spear spells were loving ridiculous and you could steamroll quite literally the entire game with them, since there aren't any bosses that are especially resistant to lightning besides the mirror knight. With a couple of buffs and maybe a lightning weapon you could nuke basically anything in 30 seconds. So, yes, it'd be pretty boring to watch.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rodyle posted:

Except all it means is "animation from Japan" which is stupid.

That... is a genre, though? There are different sub-genres that are created by the contents of the anime in question, sure, but 'anime' is the qualifier for it. Like, you can't include 'bishounen' without saying 'bishounen anime' outside of Japan because Western culture is entirely different and if you say the former people won't have any point of reference for what you're talking about.

What I think you're calling stupid is that people will just use anime to mean "animation from Japan" because that's what it's a foreshortening of, but nobody who has any knowledge on the subject does that.

The only time you hear people sum up the entire genre is when they say "I don't like anime" in a huffy voice, and by that point you already know they're an idiot and not worth talking to. They're like the people who sum up their music taste as "I listen to anything except for rap and country".

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 1, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rodyle posted:

It's this exact behavior that I'm complaining about though?

Oh. I figured you were just complaining about people calling eastern animation "anime", sub-genre qualifier or not, which people do gripe about sometimes. There are some people out there that really just don't like the term 'anime' because they are overly anal about their subcultures or whatever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah the Wii U is basically the unsung hero of this console gen for me. Wonderful 101 is loving batshit crazy awesome, and a lot of the other exclusive titles for it are great too. I don't regret picking one up instead of a Bone or PS4.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Now I want to watch the Dark Souls 2 videos even less!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Whack poo poo to death" is the way the game is meant to be played on the first time through.

Dark Souls 2 works with different kinds of damage, not just general physical resistance. The three kinds of melee attacks are 'slash', 'thrust', and whatever they refer to blunt damage as. Usually whatever the enemy is made out of determines what it's resistant and weak to; the big guys in the Tower of Flame are made of stone, so they're resistant to slash/thrust and weak to blunt. The generic zombie hollows are more weak to slash/thrust because they're just fleshy dudes wearing rags.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 4, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tae posted:

But generally because Strike has no general weakness, the easiest time to breeze through the game is carrying a mace and occasionally enchanting it for bonus damage because a majority of the enemies are armored in some way.

Yeah pretty much. Ironically in a world of swords that are on fire forever and magic that can literally eat your soul, the best weapon for any given situation is a club or a mace.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lollin irl at the shurikens going right over Pat cause he's a tiny man.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I love moments where the whole crew goes OOOOOOOOOOGGGGGGHHHHH at the same time, so I am sad we don't get to experience the TP reveal.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FatSamurai posted:

Also I might be the last person on earth who hasn't played Persona because I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

It's okay I'm also in that boat. I either just tune out or skip Persona talk. The only persona-related thing I've seen are some of the Giant Bomb endurance run videos.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As far as I am concerned or care about, Funky Student is the only Persona character worth a poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sorry my dislike of Persona has personally offended you.

edit: Get it? Persona-lly? Ha ha ha the fun we have on the Something Awful Forums

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Invictus posted:

Isn't that the thread by The Guy With The Pair Of Tits Avatar that was mostly just people dropping trou and making GBS threads all over him and his creepy game he likes

Yeah. It's his prerogative to like the game or not but that doesn't make it not a dumb game either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Moreover, why are people getting mad about canon in a game where a guy who does motion capture for the video game he is a part of is sucked into the video game's universe to fight evil demons and gods?