Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I've been watching TBFP since the Fighterpedia days, and I'm probably in the minority in liking most of the Machinima content just as much as the Sw1tcher content (though the first two years are pretty rough), and I still use Persona 4 as the gold standard for TBFP. The podcast is excellent, it feels just like sitting in on a Québécois version of my friends, down to the same Buster Wolf joke.

Thread should probably be called Super Best Friendcast, since this is RGD and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

I think this only applies to Liam, didn't they mention in one of the recent episodes that the other three don't really speak French? My impression is that they're in Ottawa. ~Best Friends Internet Cartography~

This is why I made it like I did.

They all live in Montreal, but Liam is the only one who grew up in a French-speaking house, iirc. You can totally live in Quebec and get by not speaking much French. Especially shut-ins like Pat.

re. Giant Bomb: fair enough, I actually hadn't noticed that before. Carry on.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 21, 2013

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

uh, what's going on here? what's this got to do with best friends?

Are you James Small?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Cumshot in the Dark posted:

I was introduced to these guys through their Heavy Rain playthrough. Initially I thought these guys would just be 'lol whacky youtube stars' but they've surprised me thoroughly. They actually seem to be genuinely thoughtful when breaking down why or why not certain things in games work, and they have a great sense of humor and a ton of energy that is refreshing.

The fact that their knowledge and enthusiasm is genuine means they don't have to force out that energy like basically everyone else on youtube. No facecam, no rapid cuts to trim dead air, no clearly scripted jokes or "wacky" personalities, just some best friends playing games. It's a really minimalist format, which makes it easy for the commentary to shine.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You know why I love the Super Best Friends? They had a conversation on the 'censorship' in bravely default and even though two of them were saying they disagreed with it I didn't think any of them were assholes.

Like, Woolie an Liam both thought the changes weren't great and instead of just going "FREE SPEECH MEANS I GET FIFTEEN YEAR OLD TITTIES" they told actual stories about their experiences with art changing and made it clear that their main issue was the core concept rather than this specific case, and when Pat said he thought the changes actually improved the art and all they didn't act like dicks. It was, ya know, a conversation and was decent.

Yeah, just the fact that everyone is listening to everyone else is excellent in a way few arguments/debates are.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

I found the HYPEST thread in SA!

I recently discovered them months ago watching the Scrublords series of videos and the Super Best Friends Brawl videos which I thought were hilarious. Rustlemania was pretty good too. I'm now halfway through Episode 22 of the SBFC and check out their new videos every other day at work. They seem like a bunch of chill guys and I love their passion about all sorts of nerdy poo poo.

You need to watch The Sadness Trilogy, it's probably their seminal work up to his point.

I also love Fighterpedia, but that's how I first found them, and it is really uneven. Still, the loving Weaponlord video defines hypest poo poo.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

I never played any of the games in the Sadness Trilogy and avoided those videos due to spoilers, but I'll go ahead and watch them since god only knows when I'll have the time and patience to play them myself.

You have lost nothing; there's so little gameplay, even playing it you're just sitting there watching it. TBF just push triangle for you.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Wow, Seth, you're like the nicest person I've ever heard of. That was amazing.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

God that Dio Brando valentine card was amazing. Wish I had thought of that.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 7, 2014

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Scorched Spitz posted:

Seriously, how is it legal to send axes through the mail?

Like, seriously? It's legal because why would it not be.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Minorkos posted:

Yeah this stuff results to a poor experience for everyone involved. One of my friends apparently had another friend of mine guide him through DKS1 in its entirety, telling him the enemy placements, item locations and strategies for beating bosses and stuff. The end result, unsurprisingly, was the player saying "Wow Dark Souls is a really easy game!" And that's just something I can't accept.

Souls games should really be played with as little external information as possible. I think some coaching is fine so that the player doesn't screw himself entirely by leveling resistance or something, but for me the best part about Dark Souls 1 was that you're expecting the game to gently caress with you all the time. It really makes the gameplay exciting, even if all you're doing is slowly walking down an empty hallway or something. I haven't bought DKS2 yet (sold my Xbox already) so I already kinda regret watching their first DKS2 video.

There is, I think, a happy medium with how Pat handled Woolie. He gave him some helpful tips, like how to leave messages and the mechanics there, and gave him some gameplay advice, but never told him where to go or discouraged him from experimentation. One of the most obvious signs Liam isn't helping Matt honestly is that Matt keeps his shield up way more than he should, and Liam didn't point this out. It's a common new player mistake to not give themselves a breather in combat, and it kills your stamina regeneration. That, and not constantly yelling at Matt to not try to run past enemies, seems like he wasn't really being constructive. Pat was a much more fair Souls coach, while not backseat driving. Maybe 'coach' is the right word: you should never guide anyone through Souls, but coaching is hardly a bad idea, especially in the early part where learning the systems can be a painful process of trial and error, sometimes with mistakes that can't be taken back.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Roach Warehouse posted:

I was a big fan of these guys up until a little over a year ago, when I remember Matt said something (in a tweet, I think) I found rather vile about Anita Sarkeesian which left a bad taste in my mouth, so I took a hiatus from their content.

I do remember them being critical of how Sarkeesian will use an image of a game without addressing the actual game itself or the context for the clip. Which is absolutely a thing she does and could be much better about, but I've never heard them disagree with her about her points, just the way she makes them at times.

EDIT: yeah, and the whole non profit thing, but that's recent and unrelated to the actual issues of women in games.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Dexie posted:

They didn't sound like they were being assholes about it. Just fatigued at getting another weapon in the mail.

Their apology about it sounds pretty sincere, at least.

That's actually really understandable if it's creating legal trouble for them. Every time they get a weapon it must be like opening a chore, and they were still super nice about it and cleared that up really honestly. Canadian to the core, I guess.

No laws about dragon dildos up there though.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Silentman0 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U42ur2dEVsQ

They get ~my package~ at 28:32 but you should watch the whole thing. I mentioned in the email I sent them that it's made by https://ginsengandhoney.tumblr.com but they forgot to mention it.

Excellent find. Now there's a body pillow for the non-Liam demographic of the best friends!

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 2, 2014

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Dexie posted:

Where exactly did the Face Off jokes start at?

Cabela's African Adventures is the first one I can remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoNm93-Pgrw&t=600s

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

AXE COP posted:

That isn't actually the end of the mailbag. They mentioned at least three more videos in the podcast.

Which is a shame, because that would have been the perfect note to end it on.

Just got around to catching up on the Mailbag, and all I can say is I completely and utterly agree. I'm honestly surprised they didn't use time-warping editing to move it to the end anyway, just because that is the ULTIMATE send off to just how out of control the mailbag got. Zaibatsu just keeps it too real I guess. Also that's a $200 gag gift; in a way, that's more ridiculously baller than throwing down $500 on something they'll actually like and use. I know some people have dosh for days, but apparently the "hard times" they got Tyler through was the time his Ferrari was in the shop so he had to take his Audi on vacation instead.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Depths posted:

They're used for killing garden pests, why someone would send them that i dont know..

its weirder than dragon drilldos

That's not a sentence I thought I'd ever read. It is super creeps though.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

That's... beautiful.

Well, it's normal, it's just that you've been looking at a grizzly train wreck for so long normal looks really great.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

Oh no, not in the sense of "wow, I totally want an Xbone now," just that it's hilarious how hard they've had to back down.

Oh, I gotcha. It is an exceptionally large and spectacular back down.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Solaris Knight posted:

The Backdown is probably my favorite running gag on the Friendcast

It's good, but I love "Unpatchable".

Speaking of running gags, I was glad to see Kenpachi Ramasama get mentioned recently.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

I really, really enjoy hearing Pat and Liam say "Zaubers".

I always want to immediately email them saying "Zauber is the German word for magic" but then don't because I am afraid 100 other people already have.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

I don't like hearing them say "Cúchulainn" but Gaelic pronunciation has never and will never make sense so I can hardly blame them.

I've always said "Coo-who-lane", is that close?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Just listened to the podcast Man, Liam never struck me as a hard line anti-drug guy, but I guess it kind of makes sine in retrospect.

He keeps his body pure and healthy with the pursuit of wild game and moe. I haven't listened yet, but I assume Pat would have the most nuanced position, since he studied psych and would understand the most about psychoactive substances and addiction.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I was wondering what was taking so long getting Cryme Tyme rolling, but now I see that loving intro. This is amazing, I want more of this in my life.

Also, sick hip hop indeed.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

I've never understood the absolute defense of Melee over Brawl anyway. I mean I can totally get why people that are way into fighting games put Street Fighter or Guilty Gear etc over Smash, for the same reason why big RPG people like me turn our nose up at Mass Effect and poo poo like that, but Smash games have always seemed basically the same but with more and more diverse rosters (Melee's mostly clones but Brawl's full of more diverse movesets for example).

I like Brawl a lot as a party game, but tripping randomly to punish wavedashers disproportionately, rather than I dunno, coding out wavedashing, sucks big time. It hurts everyone, just serious players more so, and was a really bad design choice.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

AXE COP posted:

When I saw Barkley was Pat/Liam I was like "nooooooo" then it turned out to be one of their best LP's.

(but maybe it would have been EVEN BETTER with pat/matt?? who knows)

It was really great, but nothing will ever beat the Sadness Trilogy of David Cage games in my mind. I'm still talking about the underwater Chinese ghost base.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

It's weird how I used to love the bad game videos and LPs and would be bored by them playing good games, but now I've found myself loving RE4 and being pretty bored with Sword of the Berserk. I feel like their hope - game - re sign commentary has really leveled up.

I still love and need Cryme Tyme, though.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

TheRealestMatt posted:

No, none of them do. I don't believe any of them even visit SA. Adding to their already rich veneer of lameness.

To be fair, just mentioning half the awful anime Liam likes can be a bannable offense in ADTRW. Might be for the best.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

TheRealestMatt posted:

Thanks everyone! If you have any questions or comments about how bad/dumb I am, feel free!

Once the RE4 playthrough is done, will you do a DMC 1 playthrough as an excuse to keep talking about RE4? Because you should.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

so what exactly makes the box set of this japanese cartoon so expensive?

Collusion in the industry in Japan to make all blu-rays ungodly expensive and with few episodes a piece.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

roach cum puddle posted:

I didn't ask if he was an addict, I asked if he takes amphetamines or if it was just a joke they madke. In hindsight "tweaker" is a derogatory term and it added a weird vibe to my post of trying to fingerpoint a Drug Addict out which I apologize for, but they made a Pat & Crack joke in a podcast I was listening to today that simply just made me wonder what the truth was behind it. Honestly I was hoping he takes amphetamines because I like amphetamines a lot and I like Pat a lot.

e: Also in hindsight I really didn't need Matt to specifically answer, but this is the only place I know of where to talk about them and he posts here now so I figured hey, horse's mouth or something.

Pat endorsing crack is a long-running gag, I'm 99% sure he doesn't actually smoke crack or do drugs besides alcohol. In related news, Matt doesn't actually stalk Emma Stone, Woolie doesn't actually like Naruto, and Liam isn't actually 12.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

roach cum puddle posted:

See, I don't know what any of those Woolie things mean, making me realize there's a lot more to this zaibatsu conglomerate. Has anyone ever made a spergy-wiki-type place that has the origins of podcast jokes/trivia?

If only there were some engine that would power Internet searches to give you relevant results. Alas, there is not.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

TheRealestMatt posted:

Hahah! Glad you like it! There's gonna be a bunch of different animated intros from our talented friends, with lots of fun songs!

Woah, video-specific intros for a theme month? Zaibatsu making it rain up in here!

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

Then that would be on virtually every single game that isn't Dark Souls.

Or Persona, more accurately.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Or X:Men Children of the Atom, for that matter.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Don't watch the shield immediately after the wire. I dropped it after the pilot and didn't pick it back up for another few months because it seemed so unrealistic and hokey compared to the wire.

Also every other show ever. Except maybe the West Wing.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Beef Waifu posted:

Please play it with Pat on a separate episode, I would love to see you guys play that loving thing, there is so much to hear other people say about it and it is always funny.

Gotta save it for future Scrublords.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

FutonForensic posted:

I also recommend the Brave & the Bold Batman series, if only to see the only cool version of Aquaman.

Yo, listen to this guy, he knows what is up. Though there was Crazy Hobo Aquaman, when he had a harpoon for a hand and a huge beard and could summon undead zombie sea creatures. That was pretty loving sweet.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Hey Matt, does it make a difference to the Zaibatsu where I watch your videos? Like, do you guys get more ad revenue from the SBFP site or YouTube, or does it make no difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

The real reason the crime time videos are spaced so far apart is because the intro is too hype, isn't it?

I thought it was so Woolie could be nursed back to health.