Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I don't even remember how it was said in Default.

Ee-dee-uh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh look, it's a trailer for our good friend: Idia Lee.
...have I been missing this pun the entire time? Was it actually intended in the first game?

e: vvvvvvvvvvvv
Well yeah, I thought that was why her last name was lee, because her parents' names were puns but not her own. Like how Tiz being named specifically Tiz didn't make his name a pun, right? Just his last name was a reference. Or did I miss two?

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 10, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
her parents are named braev lee and mahzer lee

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

NLJP posted:

Is there a good LP

No bitch

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Dunban posted:

Do we know yet if Bravely Second has a Japanese voice option?

Well, to answer my own question: yes.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Dunban posted:

Well, to answer my own question: yes.

Neat. If it's anything like Bravely Default though the dub should be good enough that it won't matter for me.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm legit excited to finish work, go home and grab the demo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jealous of everyone that gets to play the English demo starting today. :smith:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763968

Post your demo findings here :toot:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Junpei Hyde posted:

Neat. If it's anything like Bravely Default though the dub should be good enough that it won't matter for me.

I'm uh, guessing you didn't watch that trailer that just got posted.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ugh could they not get the same voice actress to come back? New girl is kinda bad. Plus since when was Edea a crybaby?

That said i'm still probably gonna try the demo out.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

alcharagia posted:

her parents are named braev lee and mahzer lee

and she's called ideally.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Okay so question about the final boss of the first game. What the gently caress am I supposed to do about Armageddon? An attack that comes without warning which one shots the entire party from full health? After a loving boss rush? Are you kidding me

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Okay so question about the final boss of the first game. What the gently caress am I supposed to do about Armageddon? An attack that comes without warning which one shots the entire party from full health? After a loving boss rush? Are you kidding me

Any one of:

Spiritmaster: Stillness
Salve Maker: Giant Flask
Time Mage/Black Mage: All Cast, Reraise
Freelancer: Examine - Default when his HP nears 0.

Edit: Thought of more

Pirate/Performer: Skull Bash/Key to Your Heart x2
Conjurer: Ziusudra's Sin
Valkyrie: Jump
Merchant: Low Leverage

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 12, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Chemist, Giant's Draft.

Tadah, OHKOa are a thing of the past.

The Vampire White Wind to heal up.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Were all the job classes kept for Bravely Second or were some cut for the new ones?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Apparently some were cut, but got their niche filled by some of the new jobs.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Ometeotl posted:

Were all the job classes kept for Bravely Second or were some cut for the new ones?

Some classes were axed but IIRC all the functionality got rolled over into the new classes.

Like the Tomahawk/Hawkeye classes has a skill that does pretty much everything a Spell Fencer did.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Aw poo poo, there's another one of these coming out? I'm grooving on the demo for #1 right now and really enjoying it, I was actually about to buy it. Worth it to play through the first game prior to #2?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The plot does continue from #1 and Bravely Default is fun in it's own right, so I would.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you use HP Booster Buns and Unearthly Buns that you could get from nemeses, you can break the HP cap. If you subsequently use Giant's Draught or that one Spiritmaster passive (use Giant's Draught), that character's HP will exceed twice the damage cap, meaning that an enemy must hit you at least three times in order to kill you. Stick Reraise on there (pro-tip: combine with Group-Cast All) and that's four hits.

Now, it's theoretically possible to get hit four times in one turn by a single enemy. I don't know of anything that does it, but it can be done. And you've got more problems if you're dealing with multiple enemies. So what can we do to further improve our survivability? We've got a few options.

It would be too easy to just assume the enemy will be dealing elemental damage, because then you could just cast Adaptation on your guy and they'll be healed instead of damaged. We'll say it's either a non-elemental physical attack or a non-elemental magical attack.

If you've got the skill slot for it, the abilities Absorb P. Damage or Absorb M. Damage will cause you to heal 25% (rounded down, so let's say 2499) of any attack that you survive. If you start from 25000 HP (which is to say, if you've got 12500 before you double it), you'll still be above 9999 HP when you take the third hit, which means the fourth one will KO you, triggering Reraise. They'll have to hit you a fifth time to do it. However, getting that much base HP is kind of ridiculous. You can accelerate the healing a bit further if you use Auto-Potion, but I'm not exactly sure how to force it to use X-Potions.

A popular one is to use Drain Sword (use the Blood Blade item, so you don't need to equip Sword Magic). With that in effect, any physical attacks you do on enemies that aren't undead will heal you by an amount equal to the damage done. If you use one of the Bushido skills that guarantees a counterattack against certain types of attack, you're in business, though you've got to pick the right one depending on the enemy's capabilities.

But suppose the enemy is undead, or has maxed-out physical defense? Drain sword won't help you. If they're using a physical attack, you can put one layer of Rampart or Utsusemi on, helping you survive one additional hit, but I'm pretty sure that the same ineffective attack will end up dispelling both of those effects, so you can't get two that way.

One really cheesy one is to use Spirit Barrier. It's difficult to get away with this if you plan to be spending any of your MP, and you can't double your MP the way you can double your HP, but you can break the MP cap of 999. With 1000 MP or more, that's two extra hits you can take. Hilariously, if you've got a really aggressive enemy, you can slap Auto MP Recover on there, making it so you only need one healing item used to get your MP back up over 1000 on the next turn.

I have no idea how Disperse Damage interacts with the damage cap. But if it works in the manner most advantageous to the player, it means that as long as the user has one teammate left alive, they'll never take more than 5499 damage from a single-target attack. Combined with the techniques described above, that's a potentially huge increase. You've got a problem if they're using multi-target ones, however.

All of this is based on the assumption that you're fighting an enemy that can hit the damage cap with every attack no matter how high your defense is. There aren't many such enemies.

But you can clearly see you've got options, if what you're after is survival.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

C-Euro posted:

Aw poo poo, there's another one of these coming out? I'm grooving on the demo for #1 right now and really enjoying it, I was actually about to buy it. Worth it to play through the first game prior to #2?
If you're enjoying the demo, I'd say yes. Just don't let the side quests from Chapter 5 onwards get you down, they're all optional and you don't really have to do them. They add a bit more depth to some characters, and provide a bit of a challenge (particularly Chapters 7 and 8). You can pretty much skip them all (well, I'd suggest doing the one for the Conjurer asterisk) and just do the main quest markers and get the 2 Endings.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I've never used a chemist and I didn't even know Reraise was a thing! Gonna have to try that, or stack mdef equipment. Still kind of shocked that any boss can 1 shot a whole team of level 97 characters on normal.

Thanks for the help guys.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
At that point in the game you're expected to have figured out some way of breaking the game.

Like, at AGDQ there was a homebrew zelda alike they did for an RTA versus TAS competition. There was an "intended" way to do things but the programmers left in bugs, exploits, etc. so the real goal was to best use these things. Actually playing the game was never actually the intention.

Bravely Default is the JRPG version of that. There's all sorts of skills and abilities that combine to just completely circumvent standard RPG gameplay, and you're expected to make use of them instead of the usual "deal damage and heal up" paradigm. Like, of course the final boss has a party TPK move. Avoiding that is child's play by endgame.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you haven't figured out the cool combos by a certain point, the bosses in chapter 8 start demonstrating some of them, by using them on you. Just some of the easier combos, not even the really powerful stuff like a BP battery.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I had a gamebreaking strategy for the endgame boss groups that worked fine - 3 pirates + 1 performer. Dual wield axes to boost atk and then use that vampire ability that deals damage based on atk power. Hits entire groups and 3 pirates' worth annihilates absolutely everything. Survival and dps has not been an issue for me except for this one boss ability, Armageddon, that came out of nowhere and did 8000+ damage to everyone all at once :v:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Dealing an obscene amount of damage is usually pretty trivial, it's protecting your party from a lot of party wiping bullshit from both that boss and other late game bosses that's the real trick. I was definitely in the Stillness camp with one character being a BP battery.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I liked having a Dark Knight hover on low HP and then using the minus strike thing, so they'd be hitting for like 9000 guaranteed, or setting up Poison and then using the ability on Arcanist that caused it to do huge damage.

They're powerful abilities that you can basically clear mostly anything in the game with, but they're not automatic gameplay esque ones. You still need to play to maintain or set up the attacks in the first place.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Dark Knight!Sword Magic is pretty oppressively strong because you can spam Rage or Black Bane with Drain up and pump out 80k single target or 40k AoE damage every turn.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
I beat the game with solo Tiz, and surprisingly, the final boss fights were trivial. The hardest fight in the game by far was the combo fight against Qada and the three other mages. It came down to a plan that required stupidly precise actions and AI manipulation. It probably would have been easier if I decided to use Stillness or any of the other broken abilities, though.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Nate RFB posted:

Dealing an obscene amount of damage is usually pretty trivial, it's protecting your party from a lot of party wiping bullshit from both that boss and other late game bosses that's the real trick. I was definitely in the Stillness camp with one character being a BP battery.

How do you time Stillness to block Armageddon? Is there a way to predict it?

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I beat the final boss on hard without Stillness or any HP cap hijinks by having a couple Natural Talent Red Mages!Bushido spamming Before Swine.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

The idea is that you cast Stillness continuously, regardless of the circumstances. There's no prediction necessary because you're effectively invulnerable unless the boss is faster than you which should be unlikely if you're good about equipping stuff to boost your speed. The trick is to make sure your fighters go out first which I handled by making two other characters Thieves who would use Godspeed Strike + Mimic.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I've been going through chapter 7 and after getting completely destroyed by Yulyana and his two buddies I started using a Stillness setup. It is both extremely effective and really boring, since you're in no danger of being damaged by anything ever, and battles take twice as long because you can only attack every second turn. I think in chapter 8 I'll rely on Giant's Draught and defensive buffs, and allow some element of risk back in.

My favourite damage setup is a monk with health buffed above 10,000 and drain magic, using Phoenix Flight four times every turn. Dark Knight Rage spam is amazing on a single target, but once the asterisk holders start teaming up I prefer something that allows me to focus them down one at a time.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

It's also incredibly hard to go wrong with Natural Talent and T1 black magic. You can easily hit at or near the damage cap on single targets all the way up through the final boss and you do have the option of going AoE (but at that point I'd be doing Black Bane instead probably). Plus even if your heals suck you still get the utility option of clutch Raises.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Natural Talent Phantom Weapon Red Magic is among the best damage output you can get, and Pierce M. Def can totally break some bosses. It's easy to fit into other strategies, but there are stronger ones available at the cost of some flexibility. And your defense suffers.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Spiritmaster/Salvemaker make defense as a general consideration pretty much obsolete in Bravely Default though. Healing is just so dang strong.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I keep coming back to that combination, yeah. It's not even Stillness (though that's very helpful as a panic button), but the combination of Convert BP and Compounding. X-Potion + Turbo Ether = Half Elixir, so you can spam MP-intensive abilities all day long, and when you're a Spiritmaster, MP is BP. You don't even need a battery to wreck the action economy.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Never even tried some of these combinations, although a re-raising healing-everybody white mage was my no brainer for avoiding unfortunate circumstances. I like how there are so many strategies to find, with any luck the sequel's the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
It's not a particularly strong combo, but stacking up defensive buffs, dual shields and health regain abilities and classes with attacks based on your defense stat feel wonderful

bosses hitting you for 1 feels almost as good as going several times above the damage cap in health and just shrugging off single damage cap attacks

• Locked thread