Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

mandatory lesbian posted:

can't wait to see which Jobs are disgustingly broken and which are merely broken

Was the ranger Job in the first game really broken? Like it seemed okay during the main game story in early chapters, but as a late game job I never really saw anything it had as being that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ventana posted:

Was the ranger Job in the first game really broken? Like it seemed okay during the main game story in early chapters, but as a late game job I never really saw anything it had as being that great.

its almost like i was joking or something

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Rangers are only good for ruining any dramatic cutscenes.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
bows are hosed up in the early game

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Yeah, bows rip poo poo until you get Dual Wield/weapons that are actually worth Two Handing.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is a bravely second thread being made or are we gonna use this one

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Finally beat the game.

Thank god I switched back to normal difficulty. Some of those enemy job combinations in chapter 8's sidequests loving sucked, no idea how I would have beaten any of em on hard. Let's not even talk about just how much sheer damage the final boss(es) can do when they feel like it. Jesus...i never would have beaten the drat thing.

Great game, but holy poo poo groundhog day was a horrible idea.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

At bare minimum there's currently an ongoing debate over if it is offensive to use the term Redskin for a sports team and you really don't want to have that carry over to your game.

Ive been told Aimee was also a giant stereotype in her Japanese speech too. If that's true I could see the issue.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Is there a good LP of this somewhere? I bounced hard off the infamous last third but absolutely loved it before then. No way in hell am I going back and finishing it now.

On that note, anyone know yet if there's a similar thing that happens in Second?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

NLJP posted:

On that note, anyone know yet if there's a similar thing that happens in Second?

Don't worry, they didn't make the same mistake in Second.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Ive been told Aimee was also a giant stereotype in her Japanese speech too. If that's true I could see the issue.

What kind of stereotype are we talking about here?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

NLJP posted:

Is there a good LP of this somewhere? I bounced hard off the infamous last third but absolutely loved it before then. No way in hell am I going back and finishing it now.

There is a similar thing in Second but done in a far, far better way that will likely make you chuckle and shake your head in bemusement instead.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Junpei Hyde posted:

"Smoke'em peace pipe" illiterate I'd assume

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Junpei Hyde posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpGfyp6MxkM

Given how long this topic has been going, I'm surprised I hadn't linked this sooner.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Regalingualius posted:

Rangers are only good for ruining any dramatic cutscenes.

I had Edea as a Ranger in the scene where you murder the gently caress out of her father. I was torn between feeling sad and laughing my rear end off. Highly recommended!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

they confirmed the tomahawk became the hawkeye recently but did anybody actually care

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

they confirmed the tomahawk became the hawkeye recently but did anybody actually care

A lot of people.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

ffs for some reason Amazon.co.uk says they won't ship Bravely Second to Ireland, even though there are no delivery restrictions on buying video games. :argh: A customer service rep told me it's because it's only available for pre-order, and when it's released I'll be able to order it. I was able to pre-order FE: Fates though (and I think I ordered Fallout 4 before it was released too). Maybe it's because Fates doesn't even have a release date yet, and it's just a placeholder essentially. Annoying though, because it looks like Gamestop are the only shop here who will have it, and they want €60 for it. gently caress that.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
I got mine from here http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/store/bravely-second-end-layer I've only had good experiences with them so far.

Not sure what they charge for delivery though; it's free in the UK. Make sure to use the 5% off code if you do use 'em.

Be warned, they charge immediately for preorders.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Got my hands on the early access demo.

Laughing hard at Aimee's voice acting recording quality here. Extremely bad.
Hopefully the full game doesn't have any of this tinny stuff.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

is a bravely second thread being made or are we gonna use this one

I was thinking of making one once we get the demo, so we have something to talk about.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Is the demo dropping next week or the week after?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

irlZaphod posted:

Is the demo dropping next week or the week after?

Next week.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

At least one store (game.co.uk that I know of) started sending demo keys out yesterday to people who preordered.

I was going to preorder using a gift card I got for Christmas, but they don't accept those on their online store, because they're stupid :argh:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've put 5 hours 40 into the demo now, here's my impressions.

The first spoiler tag is legit info about Bravely Second's full version. The second is just spoilers about some stuff in the demo.

- It's more Bravely Default in every way. Still pretty, still has nice designs (some of the monsters are super cool, such as the Appling), the battle system is very much the same as in Default at its core, aesthetically and mechanically. This is good really, but if you were looking for some huge new feature, you'll be disappointed or it's not in the demo.
- The new asterisks they let you play with in the demo are neat, though I think I am still missing one. Hawkeye is good, Wizard is good, the Astrologian kinda sucks but whatever. Kind of a shame that the other three who aren't Magnolia don't change their outfits when they swap. I know that there's a reason why Janne and Nikolai don't for the full game.
- The biggest improvement is the quality of life stuff. Battle combo-ing is really nice. Being able to do say x4 Fire by pushing R once while selecting it is very cool and saves a lot of time compared to having to push Brave four times and choose the same command every time. Naturally you don't want to do the same move to the same enemy each time (L lets you choose the increment by +1, R goes to x4 instantly) so it's not a mechanic you always will use but is nice when you've got an optimised system going.
- Auto attacking lets you program routines and will show you what you're going to do before you commit the first time out.
- You can (only) swap the encounter rate without options diving by pushing R while out of combat, so it's a lot more seamless to do that this time. You can also set up an Auto-Battle routine in this menu (3 sets of moves + Repeat your last turn in combat before you Auto'd).
- The story of the demo is eh but it's not actually part of Bravely Second and it does do a nice job of showing what the characters are actually like.
- Yew's Diary's bestiary is quite nice. You get a cute illustration of the monster and you get several tiers of information that fills out by killing X amount of monsters of the family which is kind of like Party Chat (returns but is rare in the demo), the team discussing the features of the enemy and little stories. Bosses get them too. The one issue is that you get a play bonus for filling it out and it's like 25 kills of each monster to complete the entry.
- The music isn't as good as in Default and Al-Khampis has no soundtrack at night which is weird and feels off. The Battle theme owns but the Asterisk holder battle theme is no where near as good as Default's. Default's is maybe all time great tier though.
- Agnès makes a good Airy role, you can push L while the menu is up to get some more characterisation out of her too. She does suffer from sequel syndrome of making more out of minor traits than they were in the original. She talks a lot about getting lost. She hasn't said Unacceptable! at all though.
- It's fairly tricky even on Normal to begin with (I completed Default on Hard and even by those standards it's a little tricky) but the difficulty does drop off quite a bit once you have enough pg to get some OK armour on.
- Norende 2 sucks when it doesn't give you a couple of extra villagers and update data is disabled to let you get some that way. gently caress Streetpass, I wish they'd done away with it long ago. Outside of that, it's Norende 2 in all ways.

I can't think of anything else to say but if there's anything anyone wants to know about it, I can answer if I know the answer.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 6, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Al-Khampis has no soundtrack at night which is weird and feels off.

Isn't that how every city worked in BD

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Could be! Been a long while since I played it. If it was, it probably sucked then too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Exaggerated characteristics are silly, but I'd find it funny if the plot twist of Bravely Second is that Emperor Oblivion isn't actually a kidnapper. Agnes just got lost and ended up roaming his castle and now Yew needs to save her.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I've listened to the new asterisk boss theme... yeah it isn't nearly as good but I don't dislike it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Could be! Been a long while since I played it. If it was, it probably sucked then too.

Night is for sleeping

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What better to send you into a slumber than a nice lullaby?

I am looking forward to the full game though thanks to this demo.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 6, 2016

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

No exploit for getting extra villagers without streetpass like there was in the first game's demo?

Edit: if L and R are used for +1 brave and Max brave, is there no button shortcut for default this time?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you push L without choosing any command at all, you'll Brave
If you push R without choosing any command at all, you'll Default
So basically, it's the same as in Default unless they swapped L and R for whatever reason there.

You need to click into attack and be on the target screen to x2-4 the enemy with a normal attack, but for Magic or Abilities, once you're on the spell select screen you can do it and it will x4 whatever you select.

I've not had any villagers as a quest reward at all so there's nothing to exploit at this point in time. If there is one, I'm not there yet.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
As dumb as UNACCEPTABLE was in the first game, when being confronted with Big Twist in chapter 8 or the bad ending, I thought Agnes crying it out in anguish was a nice touch.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Shinjobi posted:

As dumb as UNACCEPTABLE was in the first game, when being confronted with Big Twist in chapter 8 or the bad ending, I thought Agnes crying it out in anguish was a nice touch.

That was a pretty great moment. Though where's my Earl of Lemongrab costume :mad: Unacceptableeeeeeeeeeeeee

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
UNACCEPTABLE got pretty great once the twist was revealed, and you realize after a certain point Airy must have been holding herself back from murdering Agnes again every time she said it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The boss battle in the basement of the dorm is a bitch. Undo HP is really annoying to deal with. If he kills you once, he can keep killing that unit regardless from then on.

E: Got all the content in the demo done in around 10 hours.

There are 8 play bonuses but none of them are worth fretting over. Do the final boss on Hard mode though, it's a pushover and there's a play bonus for doing so.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 10, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh look, it's a trailer for our good friend: Idia Lee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWRKbRF3Bg0

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Do we know yet if Bravely Second has a Japanese voice option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh look, it's a trailer for our good friend: Idia Lee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWRKbRF3Bg0

I don't even remember how it was said in Default.

• Locked thread