Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Berserker looks like they literally took Ember's model, knocked off all the greeblies- both the cool bits and the kinda stupid bits- changing the patterning very slightly and only in some places, and called it a day. I am not impressed. Oh well, at least she's not as fuckin' skinny as her concept art showed her, and if she's got look very similar to another frame, you could do a lot worse than Ember.

I'm genuinely happy with pretty much everything else in this list. As long as they don't spring some stupid poo poo on us that they didn't mention beforehand- like U10 with the stamina thing- U11 is looking like a fun update! :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
You mean survival? Sounds like you just don't have the mods for it yet. You need to be powerful enough to treat the enemies as a resource. Usually, how fast you can mow down enemies (and thus collect the life support modules they drop) is as much of a limiting factor on how long you can hold out as the damage they're doing to you. Life support pods alone won't take you very far in, and if you can't even reach those, you should just worry about getting buff and come back later.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

hooah posted:

It got skipped in deference to my other question, so I'll ask again: has DE said anything about fixing Antimatter Drop performance on clients, or should I just ignore it for the foreseeable future?

They don't usually say anything about issues like that until they actually (try to) fix them, iirc.

Antimatter Drop doesn't see much use anyway, because while it can shine with teamwork and/or twin vipers involved, it's harder to deploy properly than Molecular Prime for not as much return.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Hotfix 11.0.7 posted:

Removed energy drain from no-shield mode Nightmare missions.

Neat! It seems kind of interesting now. Still tricky what with warframe armor being deprecated (upvoted your thread, MJ12), but no longer grounds for an instant restart.

Those of you who still need Hammer Shot will probably be pleased.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Kanos posted:

-Loki: Radial Disarm is in the running for shittiest uber.

You're giving people bad advice here. Radial Disarm is pretty much worthless against Infested, because for some reason DE chose to make it do a trivial amount of damage to them instead of disarming (seriously, why can't you just make it chop Ancients' big extendo-arm off?), but it's great against Corpus and Grineer. It's a uniquely useful power because while it does no damage, it renders ranged enemies nearly helpless, permanently. Yes, even heavies, they don't even keep their ability to groundslam. No gun-using enemy can do anything but run around like an idiot with a dumb cattle prod after they've been hit by it.

This may not seem terribly useful if all you're doing is lower-level stuff where other frame ults can one-shot literally everything, but when you get into places where the heavies can take several ults' worth of damage and even a few grunts can survive one, Loki's 'woah guys, time out' power becomes fantastic. Granted, I still take my Nova or forma-ed Rhino for most 'serious' stuff, because Loki is so squishy and other frames have a range of more useful powers for defenses and the like. Still, don't underestimate Radial Disarm, a corrupted mod build with max range and max power efficiency can trivialize content with the best of them.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
It used to be the highest-dps machine gun, but only when fired through Volt's shield to counteract the terrible projectile speed. Then the Soma came along and was better in every way, not to mention easier to use. Supra has been crappy for a long time now, it's not Damage 2.0's fault.

Edit: Energy Siphon alert on Casta (Ceres). Still the best aura in the game, get it while it's hot! :woop:

Cathair fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 28, 2013

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
I have not tried doing that recently, so maybe they changed how it works, but I am absolutely positive that I used to shoot things through doors with an Ignis. Especially while waiting for a teammate to do a bypass, Infested like to cram up against the other side and you could just mow 'em all down.

When they first buffed the Ignis, Grineer Scorches could do this too. Those bastards would flamethrower you through a solid floor from the room below, you wouldn't even know they were there until you suddenly started dying.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Khorne posted:

Gunz' controls are way better

...they take a few hundred hours to learn and will murder your wrists with the 6-10 key presses per second, and only after that can you start to learn how to actually play the game.

Gunz also had better sword combat

...block success and failure was slightly unintuitive from a human perspective because they were lazy about the math for it.

Just parsing this out to better illustrate how strange this post is.

I've never played Gunz, but I've heard only derision and mockery for it. It's amazing how you can observe the exact same things that everyone else does, yet come to the exact opposite conclusions- are you some sort of video game masochist or something? :confused:

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Dewgy posted:

That's the one I have already actually. I like it but hey the colors are the only premium thing I care about in the game, so figured what the hell. That's a lot of color packs though at 75 plat each.

If you want all the color packs, don't buy them individually, buy the bundles! Most people forget that the bundles tab exists, since it's full of stupid garbage you should never buy, but there's two color pack bundles and they're probably the only worthwhile things in there. I don't remember how much they are, but I remember it being a hell of a lot cheaper than buying every pack one by one.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Yeah, I forgot about the skin bundles. Sentinel accessories, too. The bundles section is very much worth looking at when you're thinking of buying cosmetics, despite making you wade through piles of bad gun deals and stupid avatar packs.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

hooah posted:

Am I crazy, or did you used to be able to just click on a mission that was an alert and you'd play the alert (that is, you didn't have to go through the alert list on the left)? I thought that was the case, but I just played Cyath while that alert was up and only got 2400 credits.

It still works the same way, you probably just encountered a bug. It's rare, but some really weird poo poo can happen- one time, I clicked on an alert and got grouped with three people doing a normal mission halfway across the map. :psyduck:

Either that, or you were grouping with goons who had already done the alert and voted for normal Cyath, I dunno.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Extractors seem pretty worthless now that they fixed the bug. Maybe I just have bad luck, but it seems like you'd be hard pressed to even get back the materials spent on it before it gets destroyed. Haven't ever seen a rare resource from one outside of the bug, either.

I wish I'd found out about it sooner. Oh well, I'm happy with the 49(!) morphics that I got from a single extractor spamclick session, and the 8 orokin cells I got from another.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Corrosive is really good because it has armour damage bonuses and doesn't have any damage penalties. Viral is good for killing bosses and tough enemies because of its proc (-50% max health IIRC).

This is basically correct, I would just add that while Corrosive has the best damage vs armored enemies (ie, Grineer), Blast is the better all-rounder, since nothing but Grineer and certain bosses have enough armor to matter. Viral is good as you say, but maybe not against Corpus bosses, since it gets -50% damage to robots. The proc should still work, though.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Haerc posted:

So, after getting back into the game after 4+ months off (I think update 9 had just came out) what weapons/frames should I be working towards?

I've got Ash, Excalibur and Rhino ATM, with a bunch of different weapons... Are Heks still suffering from over-nerf?

Yes. If you can stand the reload speed, the Sobek surpasses it in every way. Hell, the Sobek was already better than the Hek, and then they gave the Sobek a damage buff with or shortly after U11.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Plat trading is probably the most common in the pub trading world, but mod-for-mod trades are done all the time. As a general rule of thumb on pricing, pay attention to the guys spamming the trade channel over and over with the same message- those guys are asking too much, which is why no one is buying their poo poo.

Goons are not like pubs, and will gladly give you all the basic mods you need, like Serration etc. We'll even hand out rare stuff like multishot for free, if someone has a spare.

Lastly, the 'beta' moniker is pretty much meaningless as applied to Warframe. It is and always will be a constant work in progress. No doubt they'll stop calling it a beta at some point, but there will never be any clear line of demarcation, in terms of completeness, between beta and non-beta. If you enjoy the game and want to spend any significant amount of time with it, expect to pay some money, but you'll probably still end up below the hours played:cost ratio of most retail games.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Twin Gremlins are one of the best high-end sidearms right now. You do have to farm Vor & Kril on Phobos to get the BP, though.

Twin Vipers are badass as hell, but are relegated to gimmick status due to their ammo consumption combined with DE's pants-on-head stupid ammo system.

The Vasto and Twin Vastos are often overlooked, but are quite good and fun to use. They're both available at rank 0, no doubt an oversight so get 'em while they're hot. They do suffer from being semi-auto, but per-shot damage is high and so is their firing speed, if your framerate can support it. Also note that unlike most dual pistols, the Twin variant is not a straight upgrade from the single, so consider making two new ones to combine into duals if you like your single Vasto.

The Soma is not just 'an automatic rifle', it's the best all-around weapon in the game. It does need crit mods, so if you've built one and it doesn't kill God like you'd heard it did, that's what you're doing wrong.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Who knows, but that's nothing new, it's been popping up for at least several months now. I suspect that it's very old leftovers, rather than something they're planning to implement.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Androc posted:

Good news! The galatine's charge attack is twice as strong and the galatine can be obtained for some credits and crap resoureces.

(I'm only missing one o.prime blade, but literally quit when the galatine came out.)

The Galatine has a 400 damage charge attack, and takes 1.2 seconds to charge. The Orthos Prime has a 200 damage charge attack, and takes 0.5 seconds to charge. As you can see, the Orthos Prime actually has higher raw dps, though you also have to consider that the Galatine has a 25% crit chance on charge attacks only (yes, different from the crit chance of it's normal attack), and a higher crit modifier.

So basically, they're about the same in practical usage, it's just down to personal taste. The Galatine is a hell of a lot easier to build though, so by all means make one when you can.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It's more of a bug and hopefully it will be fixed once DE finally fixes crewman helmets being almost invincible, but very often explosions from the Ogris (and Penta) are interpreted as hitting a crewman in the head, so your 1000 damage ends up becoming 80 or something. But there's no apparent consistency so all you can do is keep firing rockets at the random survivors and hope it decides to do full damage.

Ohhh, that explains a lot. I've been hearing reports of inconsistent damage like what you describe, and never knew what caused it. Experienced some of it myself, but I just figured it was weird lag behavior.

Re: Penta self-immolation, I can also confirm that it is a thing, and it does seem to have something to do with non-host connection issues. I've blown myself up at times when I was nowhere near an exploding grenade, and this is with my framerate never dropping below 50.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
The beauty of shield polarize is that it scales with enemy level, because more shields = more damage! :science: It's actually more devastating than Molecular Prime against high level corpus. Combined with Molecular Prime, it can kill everything forever. And if things are still clinging to life, just hide behind a corner while their shields come back and nuke 'em again.

Keep in mind that it also instantly restores your Mag's own considerable shield reserves, as well as the shields of everyone on your team. It costs 50 energy, so with a 75% power efficiency build you can just spam it forever, keeping everyone topped off and the enemies constantly exploding. Despite being very faction-specific, Shield Polarize is an excellent skill.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Ooh, new posts about a half-hour ago about upcoming warframe balance changes:

(DE)Megan posted:

Take a look at what’s coming for Ember!

Fireball (First Power) - Deals Direct damage with a 100% Fire proc, on impact deals radial damage with 50% Fire Proc, has a faster travel time.
Accelerant (New Second Power - was Overheat) - Accelerant affects all enemies in a radius to have knockback + it coats them in fire damage amplifier!
Fire Blast (Third Power) - Initial radial damage now has 100% fire proc.

These changes will be coming soon and we are looking forward to your experiences and feedback!

:geno:
Doesn't look like nearly enough. Accelerant better be something amazing.

(DE)Megan posted:

Take a look at what’s coming for Saryn!

Venom (First Power) - Now does viral damage.
Molt (Second Power) – The Molt Decoy now gets increased health with fusion level.
Miasma (Fourth Power) - Damage increase and changed to corrosive damage type.

These changes will be coming soon and we are looking forward to your experiences and feedback!

Good to see an okay but relatively underpowered frame getting a use against mid-level Grineer, at least.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

bald and fail II posted:

Isnt corrosive damage only effective against grineer? Wheras saryns current setup seems to be good for most things, seems like a downgrade. Also infested are strong against viral damage, so the 1 will be only good against corpus people and grineer.

Miasma does Toxin damage right now, if I'm not mistaken, and Toxin damage does +25% to Armor, +50% to Flesh, and -25% to Robotics, with a -health DoT proc. It's okay, but it's not great. Corrosive damage does +75% to Armor, with no weaknesses and a -armor proc.

It's not reccomended to put Corrosive on your guns when you're not fighting Grineer simply because few other things have armor to take advantage of it's bonuses and proc, but it's not ineffective against anything. Compared to Toxin, you're not likely to notice the difference against non-Grineer, and it's a hell of a lot more effective against Grineer.

The reason why Viral damage has sub-par modifiers is because it has a ridiculously powerful proc that reduces max hp by 50%. Who gives a poo poo if it does -50% damage to Infested? Infested are trivial, and Viral is still quite good against Ancients and the like due to the proc.

If you look at any viable 1 ability in the game, the reason it's viable is because it does something other than just flat damage. Volt's 1 makes a really good stun vs heavies and small groups. Slash Dash not only does good damage with no target limit, it also makes you invulnerable while you're in it and is a great movement/escape ability. Mag's Pull would still be really good if all it did was damage, but what makes it completely overpowered is that it also incapacitates enemies or even flings them off high places.

So, making Venom do Viral damage is a straight upgrade that might make it actually worth using. The proc ignores armor, ignores shields, and its percentage-based hp cut both scales with high levels/bosses and works synergistically with any other damage outputs you've got going on. This makes it far more useful than a flat-damage power.

You may find this an interesting read, as well.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Kneejerk posted:

That's what I suspected, but I just asked him and he says he hasn't noticed any messages or anything like that. I was more concerned about the fact that he will just outright die. Is that something that happens with Stalker? If so I'll just chalk it up to him not noticing Stalker-related messages and being hilariously unlucky in having the Stalker attack him three times now and no one else.

No, you don't usually just outright die when killed by the stalker, even when playing solo. This sounds like a case of bad lag, to me- he is bleeding out during those 30 seconds, and dies before the game ever catches up and disables him. I've had that happen before myself. During this time, does he hear a pulsing tinny noise, or see the red human body icon in the upper right corner?

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

golden bubble posted:

I can tell you that Dread got a massive buff in addition to what was stated in the patch notes. Base damage increased to 400, crit rate increased from 20% to 50%, proc rate increased from 15% to 36%.

Holy poo poo, has my dream of bows actually being useable come true? Can't wait for that hammer, either. It can join the Scindo Guitar Axe in my closet of stuff that's not very good but really loving cool.

Echoing the complaints about the UI, especially in regards to the size. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the stamina bar is all but invisible now. You have to actually stop and pick it out from the other elements. The whole thing has lost the at-a-glance functionality that a video game UI is all about, and I find it more difficult to play like this.

There seems to have been a drive toward tiny informational areas in general since they started working on the new UI, starting with the change to a much smaller, more aliasing-prone font in the chat and main map. It's like the polar opposite of console ports and the like- instead of being far larger and more clunky than it needs to be, everything's far smaller and more minimalist than is ever useful. Are they designing this so that you can have a clean, small UI while playing on 1024x768, or what?

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Sandweed posted:

His heal will revive you if it's applied before you go down.

It will not, they fixed that.

Don't build Oberon as a tank, he's no better suited to it than any other frame. He's a damage frame with decent speed and stats, with abilities that help more to keep himself alive than the team. His best source of team support comes from just using his ult normally- at max rank it has a high chance to drop health orbs from enemies it kills. I think he's a fun frame, one of the best mid-tier frames.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Azran posted:

Wait, Ignis is supposed to be good? :psyduck: I was using that weapon at lvl30 and I could barely kill lvl20 poo poo; maybe I should have put a Potato on it. :v: Man, when was the last time I saw an Orokin Catalyst alert?

I don't really understand why people do this- there are very few weapons that are any good without a potato. Even the Soma is pretty lousy without one. Anyway, the Ignis is indeed a good and fun gun. Can't be beat for wall-penetrating close-range crowd obliteration. It's strength is it's AoE damage, so it kinda falls down against higher-level Grineer heavies, but it's still a cool gun worth your taters and forma.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Make it distribute energy to all players, like the way it distributes money to everyone when any one player picks up cash wads. Energy orbs already work like that- every player gets to pick up their own instance of the orb- so it's more or less the same thing.

I think I'd enjoy having the entire energy system replaced with Mass Effect style global cooldowns, but just making energy gain consistent would be plenty good enough. The majority of this game's issues with power management come from how idiotically random energy availability can be- even running around with 75% efficiency on every frame, it still bothers me how easy it is to go between 'nearly dead' and 'unstoppable god w/ spammable I Win button' solely based on the whim of blue ball drop RNG.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Tnega posted:

To those of you posting nerf m prime, I ask "how".

It costs 100 energy, that wont change because DE has a hard on for power four ALWAYS costing 100.
It causes enemies to attack/move 50% slower. Removing this would have no real effect on the power.
It causes enemies to take double damage. This could be removed and make the power slightly more balanced.
It has a range of 25m for cast and 15m for the blast, maximized to ~59m and ~35m. Let us propose we cut the default range in half. Maximized it is still larger than the unnerfed default.
It does 800 damage on explosion unmodded. You could lower this and make maximized range less viable... and that's about it.
You can cast it in the air. So what?
You can cast it while enemies are under its effect. Removing this part of it is probably the only thing possible to nerf it without a complete overhaul.

Any other ideas?

Have you never played any high-level content or something? You just highlighted the two reasons why Molecular Prime is the best damage ult in the game, the reasons why it's ranked next to Roar as one of the two mandatory tools for high-level content, and you think they're trivial. :cripes:

M. Prime could be made more balanced in one of two easy steps:
A) Remove the debuffs, so that it only turns enemies into walking bombs, possibly increase the radial damage a little. Gives the power the same basic dynamic, but it would actually require effort to make use of and wouldn't insta-kill entire rooms. Downside is that without a non-damage component, the power is just as mediocre as every other pure-damage power in higher level content.
B) Remove the damage component, leaving the debuffs to movement, speed, and damage vulnerability. Makes the power require even more effort to use, but would be more powerful overall than the above, as it would still hold up just as well in higher level fights and can also be used as a defensive tool. Some would argue that it would be overpowered even in this state (much like Roar), because as I've already mentioned repeatedly, anything that has percentile scaling outperforms the hell out of anything that doesn't in higher level combat.

Re: Mass Effect style global cooldowns, I like the idea because it makes it so you never have to worry about expending a non-regenerating resource in order to use your fun spaceninja powers- you have infinite casts, just with cooldowns in between- and also requires some semblance of tactical thinking as to when and where you deploy your strongest abilities. You have to ask yourself, do I need to use this overpowered room-clearer so badly that it's worth being without powers for however long the global cooldown is? Or should I use a lesser power and not be vulnerable for as long? You know, the same tactical considerations that made this system one of the few interesting things about Mass Effect's clunky combat. Sure, there's some issues with interfacing this system with the way Warframe works right now, specifically the synergies between certain powers that require them to be cast one after the other. It could be tweaked in many ways though, and I don't mind talking about wild ideas because hey, it's not like DE reads this thread anyway.

Right now, all it takes is collecting enough power and then bam, feel free to hit harder than God for as long as your power pool lasts. This is the #1 reason why Warframe is a game about running into rooms and pressing the '4' key on your keyboard. If you're going to have powers that indiscriminately destroy entire rooms full of enemies, that are simply better in every way than all other powers or weapons you have, then there needs to be some sort of downside to that power, something that requires tactical thinking to deploy it and prevents it from being the solution to everything. If the current spamhappy system must be maintained, then the power of the ults needs to be diminished in some way, and I don't think that would work with Warframe's current horde gameplay.

But like I said, I'd settle for just having energy gain be consistent.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Saryn's biggest problem is that her ult is affected by both power strength and power duration, which used to be an advantage but is now a major disadvantage because of Fleeting Expertise. The fact that her ult isn't terribly good anyway is just the final nail in the coffin. Ember's in the same boat. :sigh:

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Saryn's ultimate gets better with reduced duration. You can basically solo ODD with a max power/efficiency/range Miasma.

No poo poo? Wiki says you're right, they must have changed it recently along with the other tweaks to Saryn and I never noticed. Okay, cool, that puts Saryn into 'subpar but usable' range. :dance:

Edit: Ember's World On Fire seems to be still negatively affected by decreased power duration- IE, it doesn't do a static amount of overall damage divided amongst ticks like Saryn's ult now does, its damage is the same per tick no matter what the duration is. Man, somebody at DE really hates that frame.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 23, 2014

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Ajax posted:

Actually, it puts Saryn into the 'basically nova' range. Just trade speed (nova) for armor & health (saryn).

For damage anyway. Nova still has 2 other useful skills, Saryn kinda has 0.

That's quite an exaggeration. M. Prime has its debuff and a 25 meter base range to Miasma's 15. It's more accurate to say it's on par with Oberon's ult (which is pretty good, though not top tier)- lose the health orbs and the guaranteed knockdown, gain 50% more damage.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Elysiume posted:

So on the Saryn thing with -duration, has anyone done recent testing on it? Because I've heard both ways, that:
1. Miasma (and Contagion) are a fixed damage (affected by power mods), and increasing and decreasing duration won't affect total damage dealt. Therefore you want minimum duration for maximum DPS.
2. Miasma (and Contagion) are a fixed damage per tick (affected by power mods), and increasing and decreasing duration respectively increase and decrease the amounts of ticks that happen. Therefore you want maximum duration for maximum ticks which is the maximum damage (at the same DPS no matter what).

#2 is how Miasma always used to work. #1 seems to be how it works now. The wiki claims that #1 is correct, and while I am too impatient to do any really in-depth testing, taking all duration mods off my Saryn and equipping the Chlora hat for good measure- this is with a max efficiency build- doesn't seem to be doing any less damage and in fact kills grunts noticeably faster. So, #1 is probably correct right now.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

DelphiAegis posted:

Well, the duration on miasma just makes it tick faster, allowing you to cast it again, or kill the enemy before the stun from casting it wears off. DPS is misleading here, since reducing the duration does indeed increase it's DPS, but not its damage.

One of these days I have to test if stomp is affected by duration, but I'm far, far too lazy.

Yeah, I wasn't under the impression that lowering duration gives more overall damage, it's just that doing the same damage over a shorter time period is better because it gives things less time to shoot back before they drop dead.

Stomp's stun is still not affected by duration.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
With the way Rhino looks, I always figured that DE's artists really didn't know what the hell they wanted to do with him, other than 'make it big'. The Rhino Immortal skin further cements this suspicion. Now I see that they studiously avoid showing anything but the most extreme closeups in the video, so I'm expecting something pretty lackluster.

But I'll still grind it out anyway, and forma out the loving V polarity they'll no doubt put on it, because Rhino is my favorite. I play other frames because I get bored with playing Rhino so much, but he's still the best. :unsmith:

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Oh my god, it does the spin-cock thing. :swoon:

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
^^^^^^ No, they're not. The Paris now does 3/4 as much base damage as the Dread, and it's base crit is 30% to the Dread's 50%. Dread can easily hit 100% crit, Paris can only hit 75%, and that really matters for a slow, single-shot weapon.

Stat-wise, one is about as good as the other. Since the Paris Prime looks a gold-plated urinal crossed with a piece of 80s exercise equipment, whereas the Dread looks okay, the Paris Prime is just more mastery fodder.

The original Paris is the only really good-looking bow in the game, yet also the worst, mechanically. :(

Cathair fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 7, 2014

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Overextended is going to be terrible on Nova, because unless you're limiting yourself to strictly low-level poo poo, it's not going to do enough damage to set of explosion chains. Then you've got dudes left in all the nooks and crannies moving at half-speed and you get to go hunt them all down! Wheee! I guess it could work as crowd control for rushing non-exterminate missions, but for defenses and the like it's awful.

'Only' 36 energy is more than an ultimate costs when you have max power efficiency, so that's not very good for the energy. You could run max efficiency on Excal (I do) but you need to stack Continuity and Constitution to get your duration back up if you want to use Slash Dash, and that both requires forma and leaves you with few extra mod slots. Try Overextended on a max efficiency Loki instead, and spam Radial Disarm all day every day.

Valkyr has only one use, and that's spidermanning with Ripline. The dynamic you're talking about just makes Valkyr survivable while you're mucking about with Ripline, it doesn't make it any good. Being a melee ult, half my arsenal of main weapons can outdamage Hysteria just by shooting as normal while the poor Valkyr player is still trying to close with enemies; it's useful only for personal defense. You can get the same level of personal defense utility on Trinity or Rhino (or Mag or Oberon), while also having other skills that are actually useful- are you seeing why Valkyr gets so much derision, now?

Fake edit: Hysteria would be loads better if it still let you use your guns while it was up.

Man, I am such a downer today. :cripes:

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
M Prime always causes enemies to take 200% more damage. Power strength affects the radial damage only, which is base 800 blast damage at max ability rank. You start cutting heavily into that with Overextended, and you don't have much left. You're basically screwing your fellow goons by taking a Nova with Overextended into anything 'serious' like long survivals, please don't do that.

Don't ever max Blind Rage unless you know what you're doing and are going for a gimmick 'big numbers for screenshots' build. For practicality, leave it at two pips and pair with maxed Streamline/Fleeting Expertise. The ratio of energy inefficiency to power gained on Blind Rage is actually really bad- a normal max efficiency build can easily crap out far more damage than a leveled up Blind Rage, because you're getting so much more damage for every point of energy. Spam away.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Denzine posted:

During most of those t3 mobdefs we did yesterday I was running max overextended/stretch on Nova. With maxed Blind Rage/Intensify. While for most frames it's true that efficiency is wholly better because you can spam your powers(saryn for example) better, Nova doesn't really get to stack damage by spam. She gets one cast, and everything takes whatever damage.

While max-damage primes still wiping mooks, it's better. When max damage primes no longer wipe mooks, max efficiency is better since the damage amp/slow effect are unaffected by mods. Whatever mission you're doing, the correct choice is the highest efficiency that still wipes mooks unless it's impossible to wipe mooks in which case ignore damage altogether and use the saved slots for more helpful mods.

Everything is gravy on top of a maxed out gun.

Hmm, that's true. All the frames I play the most either have spammable damage powers or powers that benefit from multiple deployments, so most of my being down on Blind Rage comes from that. I should try that Nova build sometime- Nova does have a huge power pool with Flow on, so energy use shouldn't be much of an issue, and Blind Rage does give more than enough oomph to counter Overextended.

Probably needs some forma to fit all that, but what the hell, Nova is the easiest frame to level.

Edit: tagging enemies behind things and having to hunt them down if they don't explode is still a concern, though. You'll never see this happening if enemy density is high enough, but there's many cases where it won't be. I used to run a low-leveled Overextended on Nova to try and speed up invasion missions, and ended up taking it off because it just led to an annoying number of stragglers.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Roar. Why is everyone forgetting about Roar? Sure, I was also not too good at gauging when to use Roar when I was a newbie, but it's one of the best abilities out there. 50% increase to all damage, powers and guns and everything, across the whole team. Roar is what keeps your group going long after a survival has gotten to otherwise unplayable levels of bullet sponge enemies. Roar is what lets you chew through heavies like they were grunts.

Stomp is great crowd control and has very good range, much longer than most damaging ultimates, but don't overestimate it's damage-dealing ability. It doesn't do that much damage and can't be spammed, since enemies always hang in the air preventing a recast for nine seconds, regardless of your duration mods. At higher levels, it's just CC- unless you use Roar right before you cast it.

Roar does suffer from a max efficiency build, but you can stack duration mods against that, and be able to keep Roar up literally all the time. That's Rhino's true damage dealing ability.