Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
So played a few (11) hours of Warframe so far, first impressions:

LOVE the art, I really like how unique the warframes and overall setting are to just about every other game I can think of, and I really like that a lot of the warframes have some source of real-life inspiration beyond "this looks cool and weird". Environments are a lot more varied than the last time I gave the game a quick try, though the Grineer ship is obnoxiously dark for me (could just be a problem on my end, though). It's definitely one of the prettiest F2P games I've played (excluding games that werent originally F2P, and garbage Hero Engine setpiece simulators)

Actual gameplay is pretty fun, took a little while to get used to each melee attack making you step forward, but things started going WAY more smoothly once I started getting used to spamming the charge attack. However, there's a lot of enemies that are REALLY obnoxious to deal with, specifically: The Grineer scorpion and her hookshot, the Infested Runner, and the Corpus flying shield-robot. Captain Vor's teleporting was also really frustrating, but besides that he wasn't that big of a pain.

Game plays well enough with a controller, though some of the weird movement manuevers can be a pain to use. I really don't like having sprint be on L3, but I couldn't really find an adequate place to move it to.

Stealth seems completely worthless, what with enemies having a really long cone of view, lots of maps being dark as hell, enemies being incredibly sensitive to sound, and level mechanics encouraging killing as many dudes as possible.

I haven't actually played with other people yet, so far I've just been soloing every mission, and so far I've finished Mercury and the bottom branch of Venus, probably going to start playing with other dudes now if the void keys are as incredibly long as the one you get for finishing the second Venus Defense mission (160 enemies :stare:, I got to 90 enemies left before I ran out of energy, ammo, and health). Besides those, nothing's been particularly frustrating except for my first few attempts at the Mercury Survival mission.

Would appreciate a clan/guild/whatever invite, in as Neurolimal, I picked Loki because I didn't realize stealth blew so much and I really like sneaking in games, but I'm still digging Invisibility as an "oh god my shield has run out, better poof away" skill. If anyone has any advice to give, here's what my Mods currently look like:

Loki (Lv.16):
Invisibility (6 slot)
Fast Deflection (6 slot)
Vitality (3 slot)
Flow (5 slot)
MK1 Braton (Lv.9):
Speed Trigger (5 slot)
Ammo Drum (4 slot)
Lato (Lv.8):
Quick Draw (3 slot)
No Return (4 slot)
Skana (Lv.10):
Pressure Points (6 slot)
Reach (4 slot)
Carrier (Lv.6)
Vacuum (2 slot)
Regen (2 slot)
Striker (4 slot)
Redirection (4 slot)

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dapper Man posted:

Yeah, there was something about reading Armor 2.0 hate mail at 3 in the morning Wednesday.

Here's a slightly better image of Berserker.

She looks to be holding a new weapon.

I know this was from page one, but I wanted to use it as a springboard for a gripe of mine: I really don't like how most of the female warframes look.

This isn't specifically a social justice-ish issue either, I just feel that they're a lot less focused in their designs than most of the male warframes (like Loki, who is crazy focused in his design and imitation of ninja garments down to the organic Gi, or Excalibur and his fencing suit, or Frost's thick nobleman-esque jacket that's fitting for a heavy spellcaster), and are mostly just "Muscular Naked Lady with weirder head/fur mane/claws/etc." (though I do appreciate that they actually do have some visible muscle in their weird moldy ninja getup, big step up from most games.)

Saryn is probably the most focused of them though, and I definitely dig the weird pustule-covered gauntlets, and Mag is a close second.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 19, 2013

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Banshee and Nova have pretty good designs IMO. Banshee has a ton of sound waves everywhere and Nova's cracked porcelain look is pretty appropriate.

Yeah I looked at the wiki and realized I glossed over Banshee which actually looks pretty good, I suppose the designs will grow on me more when I actually get them in-game and can take a better look at them. the Valkyr frame just didn't impress me and reminded me of that gripe.

VVV I think the frames are straight up just suits? In Defense you're defending a "Warframe capsule" that's just a (rather angular) guy in a cryopod.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 19, 2013

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
They could always just make the cash shop items give an exclusive skin, no pay2win + they get some sort of value other people cant grind out in an hour or three.

Glad I looked at the OP before using my Bundlestars 170 plat. Managed to net two warframe slots, four weapon slots, classic saturated paint, and the Carrier sentinel (god he's so nice to have, at least early on. I don't need to worry about melee enemies sneaking up on me since he just stuns the grineer sawer/corpus taser when they do).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dapper Man posted:

Elemental Damage can be applied alone but if you combine primary elements they create new combined elemental damage types! This opens up new possibilities, reduces 'rainbow build' problems and reduces some of the confusing effects like 'frozen guy is on fire'.

Admittedly I've only started playing a day or two ago, but this sounds really cool, and a more interesting "nerf" than, say, making extra elements give diminishing amounts of damage or whatever.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 19, 2013

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

How is the controller support in this game's PC version? I'd like to give it a go, but my PC is in couch+TV mode and KB+M is kinda inconvenient :(

I'm currently playing the game with a F710 and it's worked like a dream, my only big gripe is that its a little awkward to do sprint + crouch combos when you first start. You might want to lower aim sensitivity and disable controller autoaiming (this could just be me, though). You can also remap every button if you hate the default layout.

It's so nice to have a non-MMORPG F2P game that is relaxed enough that you aren't at a huge disadvantage with a controller~

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah, I definitely noticed a huge improvement when I earned (and leveled to 60% damage) an AP mod and slapped it on my pistol, went from dont bother to way better than my MKI-Braton. It's definitely dropped a shitload since the damage 2.0 patch, though.

I don't know if it's because I picked Loki and can just stealth stab any enemies I have trouble with, but I honestly haven't been having that much trouble with the game and I'd definitely consider myself a new player. Could also be the fact that I used my warframe indie bundle platinum on the shotgun potato sentinel, too :v:

Modding is definitely an important part of the game, way more than I was expecting going into Warframe; I am/was way too used to hoarding mods for actually good weapons (due to lovely F2P games monetizing removing mods from weapons). If you're having trouble getting through the first Earth mission you might want to see if you can upgrade any mods right now, the difference that makes is pretty drastic (also if you're upgrading a mod you have in a polarity slot, try raising it to an even number; for the point discount the game rounds up, so a 7 slot mod in a polarity slot ends up costing the same as an 8 slot mod.)

I definitely think they could have done a better job explaining this stuff, like maybe a huge "HEY! You just picked up your first mod from that mission! Let's spend a minute or two explaining all this so you dont end up fighting your way through a planet without any mods equipped!"

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 22, 2013

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

It seems like every character has a bad power (or 2) in this game. Is there anyone who has a full stack of 4 useful powers (Rhino exempt because he seems to be the best overall frame)?

All of Loki's powers seem (to me, new scrubby player) pretty good, Decoy is nice for delaying waves in defense, Invisiblity makes you a sword spamming god and gets you out of jams, Switch Teleport is nice for being a jerk to people and getting around annoying enemies when you're mad dashing through a level, and Radial Disarm is nice with an aoe charge weapon.

By the way, how bad/good is Fragor? I can't really decide because It's still only at Rank 4, but it's pretty fun to mess around with even if its combo is painfully slow.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Well, If we're going to start throwing around Nekros redesign ideas:

-Make the armor reduction of Terrify a passive component, add in a DoT that eats at shields, keep the active as a mass Fear but reduce the energy cost.
-Make Desecrate force summoned Shadows attack whoever you aim it at, reduce to 25 energy (drop the loot aspect because gently caress underpowered classes in MMO's that are boring as sin but mandatory because they have a passive that makes them walking material/item mills)
-Give summoned shadows a health and damage buff (Or if we're going really out of the way with changes, let Nekros collect shadows and pick one to "equip" pre-mission, which he can then summon alongside all the gimpy enemy shadows, lasts longer than them, and levels with missions), enemies killed by shadows become new shadows.

Obviously I have no clue how overpowered/underpowered this would be seeing as I'm still a new scrub, just some ideas I thought would be cool.

Currently leveling an Obex, I'm having a shitload of fun with it, almost considering supercharging it because it's just so fun and if nothing else, it would probably be more unique than a Galatine or Zoren or etcetera. I'm currently considering Fury, Melee Prowess, Pressure Point, and Blast damage; are there any other mods I should consider to make them better/suck less?

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 2, 2013

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm just a newbie that's currently enjoying the game a lot, but I will say that I fully support nerfing aoe damage ults, it's just not fun for the other dudes you're playing with when you kill everything in a 5 mile radius before they can even leg it over to a mere corpus crewmate :(

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Araganzar posted:

- corrosive is okay whatever as long as [conditions I will never ever remember]

If your weapon has innate viral you put corrosive on it because you can; if your weapon doesn't have innate viral or corrosive you cannot put both on, because they both build out of Toxin, and Viral is more valuable than Corrosive.

quote:

- slash is the absolute best just rebind a button to slash and you will win the game

Unless they shift away from giving everything fat stacks of armor in the lategame, yes.

quote:

- puncture and whatever the other melee thing is other than slash don't exist either

Impact has its uses, insofar as:
1. It increases the threshold to execute a chunky enemy, which lets you enjoy a free energy orb occasionally
2. The best sword stance gives you a lot of it for free

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

CODChimera posted:

what makes the lich move planets? mines on the kuva fortress and holy gently caress it's too hard lol

They always move through the same five planets, and dont cycle, so Level 5 liches are always squatting at the fort. It can be annoying, partially because half of the missions at the fort are ill-suited for an impromptu three-stage boss fight.

See if you can get a bittervet goon with a warcrimeframe to carry you

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

RBX posted:

Thanks to road I really have my feet under me.

So I have aya, I brought the relics needed for Mesa Prime parts. Now I do void stuff to unlock them and hope the part I want comes up? And I need to upgrade it to give myself a better chance? Is it better when everyone has the same relic chosen to increase our chances? And is this dropping blueprints or the part itself?

You do void fissures to open the relics, yes.

Upgrading a relic increases the chance for rare & uncommon parts, and decreases the chance for common parts. Upgrading uses Void Traces, which are obtained by doing Void Fissures (so you'll want to do runs for common parts you want first). You get void traces on collecting the 10th reactant in a run (6-30 traces, Radiant requires 100 traces), and 5 traces for each person who picks your reward at the end.

When you complete a fissure everyone in the group who managed to get 10 reactant rolls on their reward table (augmented if they've upgraded their relics). Anyone can pick any item anyone rolled. Because of this, your greatest odds for getting a specific rare/uncommon part will come from radshares (everyone with the same relic, upgraded to Radiant). You can find people doing radshares in the Recruitment tab of the in-game chat.

Warframe prime parts are blueprints that must be crafted. Weapon prime parts are obtained whole.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 3, 2021

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You have very good odds of getting at least one Aya out of 40-60 level bounties:

I've actually had two recent runs where I got two Aya out of the final reward (getting all the bonus objectives nets you a second reward roll). It's far more pleasant than the old setup of grinding for one specific relic.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 4, 2021

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Which Baro mods should I buy, assuming that I can only afford 1-2?

Primed Reach is nice, Primed Pistol Gambit is a slightly deprecated on critbuild secondaries you aimfire because of Galvanized Crosshairs, but that requires you have the starchart finished.

Yellow mods are usually also dropped from non-baro sources.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Adarza can give you flat 60% crit chance, which can be funny with guns that are High CD + Low CC (Kuva Nukor, Basmu alt)

Chesa can get you some extra loot, and stacks with every loot effect except Nekros. Sahasa can dig up energy orbs every 15 seconds but is probably worse overall than the Xbox Monster Energy Cooler.

Hounds can strip annoying Eximus auras, thats about it though.

Vasca's are probably the worst pets, despite being the best looking cats.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Considering how long DE takes making a linear story quest, I'd rather they not flirted with alignment impact too much anyways.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Also join the Discord if you haven't already, a lot of active goons who are willing to help with any questions you might have.

Immediate bit of advice: pretty much anything you choose to do will make progress so try not to feel too overwhelmed on what to do, just take your time and figure out what type of guns, melees, warframes, mission types etc you're into. Even "bad" weapons will contribute mastery experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kestral posted:

Warframe goons, what are your ergonomic tips for this game - keybinds, macros, specific frames, and so on?

I played pretty hardcore for a couple years, but had to stop after Scarlet Spear thanks to developing repetitive stress injuries in my wrists. I've made some changes since then (notably changing out my keyboard for one with very light switches, which has made a huge difference) and have recovered quite a bit, but as much as I want to dive into the New War, I'm concerned about backsliding and re-injuring myself. I switched to melee-via-scrollwheel right at the end and that definitely helped, but the intense movement still concerns me.

I'm going to give myself a bit more time to recover, but what can I do to minimize the strain on my wrists, if I do decide to try getting back in?

Do you have a comfortable controller? The game has controller support, and while you wont be reliably nailing headshots with it you can do quite well with AoE guns. It's how I usually play.