Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

squeakyneb posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you? Oven steak? Jesus.

Put steak in/on skillet/pan/BBQ-surface (after oiling/buttering it of course dumbass). Medium-ish high heat type thing. Wait for blood/fluids to come to the top of the steak. How much fluid is on top tells you how well done it is. Fluids only just coming up is usually the correct amount of done (don't cook steaks to the point of well done, that's loving disgusting). Flip the steak and repeat for the other side. Put on plate. Serve. Consume. Enjoy.

Other easy skillet thing: savoury mince. You can basically cook this however you want and with a little practice and creativity you've got good eating. It's ridiculously refridgerable/freezable so you can do like a week of dinner at once if you're lonely enough. Serve with potato or rice or something. Also, adding grated cheese is awesome.

Oil the pan up. Put a pile of mince in there. Get it almost cooked (remember to violently rub it with an egg-flippy spatula or it bunches together like a really lovely burger patty). Insert vegetables 'n' poo poo. If you wouldn't eat them raw, they should generally either be pre-cooked or in very tiny parts. poo poo like garlic or onions is good. Tomato is a must-have. Add beef stock if you want to, makes it generally tastier. Add italianish stuff and lots of tomato paste (or ketchup if you're cheap/too lazy to go shopping) and you'll end up with bolognese, which is doubleplusgood on spaghetti (or any pasta really).

Yes, that is a good method for making steak, and so is popping steak onto cast iron the heat of the sun and finishing in the oven so it's not entirely raw (or if you like it that way, go without ovening). I usually cook for 45 seconds on one side, and as soon as I flip it goes into a 500 degree oven for a minute, maybe minute and a half. Hate if you want, but why bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I use a welding glove instead of one of those silly sleeve things. I can keep it on while doing most of my cooking, it can handle temperatures much higher than what we're dealing with, and it's easier to grip with than a cooking mitten. 100% recommend

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Paper With Lines posted:

That thing looks like it would own. I've seen greasy spoons use that sort of thing on bacon but I never thought it would be available to mere mortals.

Though it is funny that it costs more than my Lodge pan did.

Got a brick?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is "flax oil" from a vegan store the same thing as the "flaxseed oil" that people use to season pans with?

If it's edible, yes. If it's not for eating, then it might be linseed oil, which is from the same plant but not food safe.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

That Old Ganon posted:

It's funny because I was about to come in and ask about this.

I want to learn how to cook and get into the science behind it. When coming across this thread I recalled that my mom has a couple really old cast iron skillets that I only remember as old and ugly and neglected because they were rusting.

I had asked my dad what kind of cookware he used, and although he mostly uses stainless steel, he has experience with cast iron. When I asked him about using grape-seed oil he said just go with vegetable oil because the former "is for salads."

He also suggested that I only use cast iron if I have a lot of time in my hands. Agree/disagree?

The OP has a link to the sciencey bit of seasoning cast iron. Flaxseed oil is your best bet, but it basically boils down to a higher smoke point usually being better.

I disagree that you need time on your hands to use cast iron. If you get something stuck on it, you can just scrub at it with whatever tools (power or manual) you need to use to get it off. Otherwise, you can beat the poo poo out of it, and worst case scenario you'll need to reseason (which is really easy).

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Paper With Lines posted:

I was doing this for the first few months I had mine just out of convenience but I was afraid it was hurting the seasoning. Can you speak to that?

As long as you actually use (and care for) the pan, it'll keep seasoning. If you make steam with it all the time like I do, you might want to reseason pretty frequently.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Paper With Lines posted:

People ITT use steel wool for general cleaning purposes? Doesn't it destroy the seasoning?

Chainmail works far better, and you can buy it in convenient glove form. Bonus: it doesn't destroy the seasoning - well, no more than any metal object scraping the surface of your pan, at least.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Has anyone tried the chainmail scrubbers to clean their cast iron? I've been thinking about trying one.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ringer-Cleaner-Stainless-Chainmail/dp/B00FKBR1ZG/

I use a chainmail glove instead. Works wonders.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't think most people here will give you poo poo for premade seasonings. You may find yourself using them less and less as you get more into cooking, or not.

I think curry powder is the only premade mix that most people will tell you to absolutely stay away form.

Chili powder, too.

Other than that, whatever. I use Spike, Cavender's Greek Seasoning, Slap Ya Mama (upgraded from Tony Chachere's), and a couple other seasoning blends on occasion. Just keep in mind that like any preground spice, the potency will fade much faster than buying whole spices and grinding them on the spot.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

BEHOLD! I have purchased an old, rusty cast iron pan from the flea market!

(this was after giving it a bit of work and going "Ooooh, this is going to take awhile")
It's stamped USA on the back, I can only hope that's not Usa province in China.

Not oil in the shot (about a gallon of elbow grease from the sanding though), just some water I had to spray on to flush the rust particulate after the first boil. After boiling the thing off a few times and getting it clean and dry, it's managed to take a nice first layer of seasoning! All in the grill too. I shall fry some bacon in it tomorrow. It's a pretty neat pan, once I sanded the rust off, the cooking surface was super smooth even without seasoning.

:10bux: well spent I think.

edit: Weird, looking at the back again, it says 10 1/4 INCH SKILLET MADE IN USA but the handle is stamped with an 8.

\/\/Bitchin!\/\/

That is a badass pan. I like the length of the handle - mine are all too short except for the 8'' that I use mainly for frying eggs.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

It melted a bit off the old lovely one I got for like a buck 15 years ago, the nylon one held up fine. Still I can get a metal spatula for cast iron funtimes. I've used the skillet several times since getting it. Fried some chicken Monday that turned out awesome. One of these days I'll get some genuine lard and do it that way. Preferably on a weekend where I don't have to move for the next several hours.

Get a fish turner, preferably an 8" model unless you only cook huge meals. It will change your life.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

spankmeister posted:

Yeah cast iron is hella versatile but not everything is a nail to cast iron's hammer.

Nothing wrong with a cast iron saucepan. Just stick it in the oven to preheat.

I saw on Mind of a Chef, possibly some other show, that cast iron is so excellent at evenly cooking food partially because it radiates a lot of heat. Put your hand over a hot stainless skillet and you might feel some heat, but nothing compared to a hot cast iron. It makes sense to me, given cast iron's cooking properties - can anybody confirm this?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Safety Dance posted:

Cast iron is actually not very excellent at evenly cooking food if you're just heating it over a burner. It doesn't distribute heat very well, so you wind up getting wicked hot spots.

Your best bet is to heat the whole thing evenly in the oven, pull it out, and then keep dumping BTUs into it over the burner. You'll develop hotspots, but they won't be as bad as if you'd gone from zero to 60 over the burner.

I do a very slow preheat on low to medium heat, so I don't suffer hot spots. Once the handle is hot, it's ready to use. The oven would probably be about the same speed, though.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Butch Cassidy posted:

Found a cute little square skillet in need of a minimal cleanup. After I finish making alll of the square bento box omelettes, I will need more ideas.

Adorable brownies. I really like Smitten Kitchen's cocoa brownies, especially in cast iron. They're dense, fudgey, and have a candylike top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

QuarkMartial posted:

Do you still line the skillet with foil?

No, but I give the pan the cake treatment: a shitton of butter and some flour. It has a more pleasingly crunchy underside that way (which helps it not fall apart) and comes out of the pan super easily. The flour isn't totally necessary, but I use it for the same reason you flour a cake pan.

• Locked thread