Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Toshimo posted:

If I'm reading the pack descriptions correctly, the Premium Void packs are 1.4x Wildcard rate for 1.35x gold. I assume this means I should be picking up Premium void packs over regular to maximize long-term Wildcard gains?

NO, do not ever buy premium. You buy strictly for the cards. The best way to accumulate Wildcards are buying the normal packs, buying boxes via Seals, and then the most efficient way is to play in Swiss tournies way down the road.

quote:

Looks like I have 1275 seals currently and the Champion's box is 2399. If I buy the 850 seal pack with 4 free somethings, that'll leave me 274 short, so... 2 levels and swapping 3/3 challenges with someone? Sound right?

The best and cheapest/efficient way via Seals in buying boxes is getting the Forgotten Wars box. It gives you 7 wildcards just for buying it, but 37 in total since each Forgotten Wars pack gives 3 wildcards (That's why you can't buy them via gold).

quote:

Also, what's the word on the daily rewards? What's my window for logging in? I assume it's better to save and redeem weekly for seals?

You have to log in every day once a day to "Save up" the rewards. You can either cash in whatever you accumulated or wait all 7 days to get the most out of it. If you're willing to at worst log in for a minute to get your daily check-in, it's much better to save up.

quote:

Also, is there a proper usage pattern for boosts or do you just run them out as you get them?

Never ever use boosts because those use up Seals.

edit: The very best advice I can give you for wanting to get into tournament ready status quickly deck-wise is to choose one Hero and focus on that Hero. Going all over the place will severely lengthen the process, especially if you choose a top-tier Haven deck.

Tae fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

You get some free. I would say don't BUY boosts but I thought spending the ones you had was safe.

Well yeah you get free boosts from achievements and the tutorial. Just don't ever buy boosts because all they do is kinda save time but not really, unless you win all 5 games by a huge amount.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Toshimo posted:

So, you're saying the slightly increased wildcard/gold ratio isn't worth the loss of regular cards?

It really isn't, because Wildcards are good but not worth it over the cards you need to actually have a collection. The more packs you get, the better the chances at actually getting the card you want from the Alter of Wishes. And if you don't get the rare or get a lovely epic, throw it in the Hell Pit for more gold and possibly a good card.

Toshimo posted:

Even the ones I'm getting from achievements?

Those are fine, I'm talking about ones that aren't given.

Here's a few tips on how gold and EXP is calculated. Gold is is about 50 for every life point damage done to an enemy Hero, and about 10 gold for every creature you kill. EXP is based on how long the game is.

Do not surrender. Surrendering takes away about 250 EXP.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Gold Mine is terrible, you should be running 4 Gold Piles and possibly 4 Campfires. Takana with those cards can put out a higher curve character a turn earlier which is a huge difference when you're busting out Wanizames on turn 3.

Actually you're missing a lot of staple Sanctuary commons like Sayama Stalker. Takana works better as more of a 40+ creature deck with a few fortunes to accelerate and boost their atk.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You can drop below a Elo rank by losing 10 times in a row. That's why you see insane expensive tier 1 decks floating around the 500+ Elo occasionally.

Alright, I'll try to focus on one Hero at a time if they're one of the top-tiers mentioned here (Btw, tiers are based on the Jackpot tournament, which I'll explain if anyone wants that tackled).

Sandalphon, standard rush version

Sandolphon is a Haven hero known for being a rushdown deck, utilizing powerful small creatures with great effects. By plotting down these efficient every turn to outmatch your opponents creatures along with Haven resource acceleration, the lack of endgame on most decks hardly makes a difference.

Key Creatures

Wolf Captain is the main strength of Haven rush decks. Despite some weakness at inviting a Fireball, it's a 5 health 2 cost creature that can potentially be a 4/5. Retaliation also forces some unwanted trades if the situation arises.

Tithe Collector is an amazing 1 drop that's actually gotten better as the game got new expansions. Resource acceleration is a trait of the Haven faction, allowing higher cost creatures to come out a turn early or flood the board with one or two extra creatures later in the game.

Loyal Griffon is a standard faction 2/1/4, though having Flyer gives some extra benefits like avoiding cards that only target grounded creatures.

Radiant Glory is a powerful 3/2/5 3 drop, having above average health, good retaliation, and good attack. Being a Magic creature does give it some weakness against the latest anti-Magic cards in Forgotten Wars, but still worth playing 4 of.

Arguably the best creature in the game, Pao Deathseeker is generic, instant 3 damage to whatever you can target with a creature attack. Most often, it's used as a finisher to deal the last few life the opponent has.

Watchman is a solid 2/1/5 shooter with a somewhat terrible drawback at first. Its drawback actually isn't that bad since it forces damage removal to reduce its attack, keeping your other creatures safe from harm. Its 0 attack once damaged also isn't that big a deal considering the Events run.

Crusader is a deceptive 4 drop. This is one of those creatures that have lower Might than their cost, allowing them to be dropped a turn earlier if either Tithe is on the field by turn 3 or you went first and then use Sandalphon's effect on turn 3.

Magic Peddler is a weak 2 drop, but has a very important role in digging up the two unique spells that are in every aggro Sandalphon deck.

Key Spells

Super efficient removal, removes a lot of early game stuff for barely any investment in Magic.

Great AoE, essentially 1 cost less for 1 damage less than Fireball but speed is the name of the game and Geyser is better for that.

Part 1 of the Wombo combo, Ice Splinters also prevents a Pao Deathseeker from invading that lane and possibly strength a lane you already control from any future enemy creatures dropped.

Part 2 of the Wombo combo, this two-card interaction allows to wipe the board completely by constantly moving creatures until they die from the Ice Splinters.

A powerful attack-boost across the board, its secondary effect is also important against Fortune-based decks like Stronghold or OTK decks. Nerfed to 4 cost, but still played because Sandalphon can easily ignore the cost.

Key Events

A great event that rarely helps your opponent while making cards like Wolf Captain, Watcher, and Tithe into constant sources of damage.

The best Event for any aggressive deck, this gives a generic +1 atk across the board if you have a creature as your next draw.

Most aggro Sandaolphon decks don't run Fortunes, so having an Event that doesn't hurt you is a pretty good thing, while slowing down opposing Fortunes and especially OTK decks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The best rush decks are Ishuma Sanctuary with Mana Storm, Crag Hack, and Sandalphon. You'll see other decks with similar creature bases but those are the most efficient and consistent archtypes.

The answer is hope that Manastorm doesn't hurt you on your kill turns, because sometimes they get a good hand and you can't answer in kind.

I would say in a mirror match, whoever goes 2nd in a Sanctuary is a huge advantage assuming equal draws and skills.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hellfire Slave is decent, but vastly inferior to Lilim because 8 health is massive for any creature, let alone a 4 drop.

Korak posted:

Apparently there are people with tier 1 decks that push their elo low so they can beat up on newbies?

Yeah, ELO is just a matchmaking thing. If EXP and gold was increased per ELO barrier, less people would do this. A big abuse problem are Belias bots that use its hero ability to deal 1 damage, then quit. You get 50 gold, but since it's a bot the tedium doesn't matter and you come away with tons of gold.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Huge Fucker Bitch posted:

I started with the Necropolis deck, was thinking about picking up another deck before buying packs.
Would that be stupid?

Depends on if you really want to focus on that Hero.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, you take 1 damage for every card you "draw" with an empty deck. That's usually how mill decks do their damage.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Your deck is all over the place. Is it rush, control, mid-range? You have to choose a theme and focus on the strengths of that theme to make a better deck.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You don't form a general strategy with a faction. Each Hero can vastly play differently, despite being the same faction.

Xorm is a super aggressive deck that uses Fortunes to turbo-accelerate creatures to overwhelm the opponent.

Dhamaria is one of the best control decks in the meta, utilizing the beefy Inferno creatures and powerful spells to wipe the board and keep the hand in check with her effect.

Discard is bad for aggro decks to use because it's all about the early game tempo. If you're casting a Pit of Madness within the first 5 turns, you are losing out on a creature and the opponent is taking 1, 2 or even 3 attacks less from that lost creature.

Your deck is all over the place. You have tons of cards that doesn't actually affect the board and since Xorm starts out with no magic, you end up wasting turns and potential card draw trying to "come back" with cards that don't anything. Discard isn't that great because of DoC's mechanics to recoup cards back easily.

There's some obvious fixes to increase the speed of damage like Dark Assassins, Pao Deathseeker, and Mana Storm. You're also missing Alter of Destruction, one of the few Direct Damage cards in the game and a huge reason to go Inferno rush/Xorm.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

After I did MMHoMM VI I was still pretty invested in Ashan, so I played it during beta. Haven't played it in a while, but it's a good burner of time.

Stronghold deck myself. Working with Kat but been trying to find ways of working with Kelthor/Acamas. I really like the combination of Earth/Air though.

I also need more Blackskull Drummers.

Kat is usually OTK or a mix of aggression with fortune cards like Surprise Attack and spells.

Kelthor is a very aggressive deck using its Enrage hero ability to get some free kills but mostly for using its cheap spells in Firebolt and Lightning Strike.

Acamas is more of a creature deck, using standard tactics of Manastorm and the Gold Pile/Campfires to accelerate out the huge Stronghold creatures.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think Adar can play decently against Ishuma assuming you tune the deck to be more aggressive (1 drops mostly), but yeah the match-up depends pretty hard on if you get a Forbidden Flame at the right time and recur enough Decay Splitters.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jedit posted:

The entire Sanctuary faction is bullshit. They have a two-card combo that instantly sweeps the opponent's board and all their creatures are effectively unblockable unless you can fill an entire line with non-flyers. I've yet to see a Sanctuary deck lose a Swiss duel to anything other than another Sanctuary deck.

Wait, which deck is this? Are you talking about Yukiko? No one in the upper tier plays Yukiko except as a lock deck, and that doesn't use the Wombo combo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

That combo isn't a sanctuary thing. It's an air spell and a water spell. Unless they're the only ones with that school combination, which they might be, I dunno.

Edit: Nope, Sandalphon can too.

A lot of Heroes can do that combo, the most seen are Sandalphon and Akane (Academy version).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

What are academy dudes good at anyway? I have looked over the creatures and apart from some milling I don't really get what the factions strengths are supposed to be.

Mill is a strong strategy, but the main focus are the 1 and 2 drops that give +magic whenever they're on the field. That allows you to accelerate your requirement curve and gives earlier access to start drawing cards via Hero power.

Some decks like Asalah take it to the extreme and play nothing but small drops, often having only 2 Might throughout the game since most Academy dudes have low Might requirement.

By hitting the 1 and 2 drop Magic-boosting guys, you have the option to hit the cost curve OR have the option of playing the cost curve spell which no other faction can do.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Just a reminder that you can report a player, just get s screenshot of the abuse and abuser's name: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/769059-I-want-to-report-a-player-What-do-I-do

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FrancoFish posted:

The problem with that is, he has a full board before I can do anything. It takes all of my resources to play a creature, and then he plays 4. I can't keep up with him.

Maybe post your deck and I'll try to demo on a Crag Hack battle or two, because he really isn't that difficult. It's even easier if you cheese him with Pit of Madness, because the AI is programmed not to do anything against a discard effect.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Early Garrant Inferno rush basically comes down to getting enough early beats in, then Teleport/Town Portal for the last few damage. You definitely need Pao the Deathseekers because Garrant's main strength is instant burst damage via Pao's, Teleports, and Alter of Destruction.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jedit posted:

What sort of rating do you need to reach for top 30% of a Jackpot?

That's tier...3 I think? Probably 200.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Higsian posted:

How can you even tell what tier you're in?

You don't, you just keep playing in the jackpot until you feel you're as high as you can go. Going Tier 1 takes a long commitment for the day if you're even undefeated so I don't bother.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Never ever buy small packs. They are horribly inefficient for 2 random cards out of 3 sets. At least with a pack you get a chance at minimum a rare and 3 uncommons.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Onmi posted:

well clearly, the achievement for getting all 4 of Havens base heroes is 3 Small Packs.

Wow really? Guess that's why I forgot about that achievement, especially since Morgan was nerfed to hell. Poor Morgan.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wagoneer posted:

Anyone have any info on the Jackpot tourney? I'm ranked #2000 and I'm not sure if I should quit while I'm "ahead" or keep playing and risk losing 2,000 more ranks.

From my experience, 100 Elo is barely enough get tier 5 which is about 5k gold.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's in the OP as I said, but you have to lose about 10 times in a row to get below the elo barrier (500, 1000, 1500).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Toshimo posted:

You know, until you said that I didn't realize she was the 5k card reward. Never mind.

5k cards is a lot. I still don't have that achievement, mostly because I'm using the pit but it takes a long time to accumulate that. Better just to get it via gold since Necro is generally one of the easier and cheaper decks to make and Ariana is one of the best.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

I'm honestly surprised MMDoC hasn't had a bigger SA following since its release.

It's been mostly a Euro game as far as I can tell, most of the "popular" streamers are also European and the DoC developers are located there as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You want to play 4 magic as Adar because Soul Reaver is the best single removal in the game and you up your explosive damage with Shadow Image.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Yeah that's sort of the exact opposite direction from where I'm heading.

If you're going for Aggro, you should really be playing the 2 atk 1 drop.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Here's my Malik deck, for comparison.

http://tools.mmdocking.com/decks/show/420

It's only 2 soul consuming liches because I only own 2. The two void wraiths I'm currently testing out.

You don't want more than 2 liches, they're pretty bad as a standard 4 drop. Decent as a 1-2 tech drop. Necro has a lot better 4 drops like Decay Splitter and Archlich, or even just playing the Decay Splitters.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Uh, Primal has a two really good ways to remove on-going in Dispel and Mass Dispel. I don't get it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It also depends on the hero as well, because depending on the hero they have much better spells to play at that magic cost.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The lane mechanic and when to ramp up the resources/draw a card makes combat tactical decisions much more involved than most card games I've played.

It gets more involved in the higher Elo's when you're basing decisions on formations and avoiding certain AoE like Fork Lightning.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mirthless posted:

Is swiss matchmaking based off Elo, or is it completely random? Should I just start surrender spamming my Elo down so I don't waste my tickets?

Swiss is completely random. I've had tournies where I faced 3 players in a row with 70+ cards.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The problem is that Atrophos already does that and does it very well, and he's searchable by the Bard. Combined with Adar Malik's effect, you can essentially have unlimited creatures. The only good revival cards for creatures are the two Seria uniques and those are more suited for Seria because she starts with two Destiny.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jedit posted:

On the other hand, at 6 resources you will often want to get back the Pao Deathseeker you used on turn 3 or 5 so it can kill something else.

Eh, unless you're one of the few Necros that can't use Dark magic, just use a Soul Reaver. It's just very hard to justify a spot for it when you tally up the deck total.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

Hmmm... This is getting me thinking about something. From what I've read, this game has a strong European following. It would make sense that, at least for tournaments, the toughest competition would be on during European primetime. The US player base is probably newer and catching up. So if you play during American primetime, you may have an easier time doing Swiss. Not sure, just a theory.

Also, given the rewards, it's only a matter of time before the US player base catches up.

That's been true, the game is located in Europe, Ubisoft is europe, and all the most popular players and streamers are in Europe. High jackpot players always joked that the best time to do jackpot is during American afternoons.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mr.48 posted:

When abilities mention "unique" cards, is that referring to orange cards, or just any card of which you only have 1 copy in your deck?

They have Unique under the picture.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mr.48 posted:

Huh, thats weird. I've looked through some epic cards and some of them say "unique" while others dont. So only the ones with the "unique" label on the card count? And does that also mean you cant have more than one unique per deck?

Unique is limited to one per deck, so any extra copies you crack in packs can be safely used for the Infernal Pit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

If you won enough matches to break 1k Elo, why are you still playing a sealed deck? Don't you have a ton of gold and seals to spend from those wins?

You can easily break 1k with mostly a basic deck if you're a good player, which is an issue because systems like this game are designed for players to slowly learn the basics of a card game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yes, but in doing so you level a bunch and make gold so you can buy packs and not be playing a starter anymore.

Not really. If your win-rate is around 90% from the beginning to 1k which isn't unusual for veteran CCG players to do, you don't have nearly enough to actually get out of the starter deck and into a different, complete deck.

• Locked thread