Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Can we get, somewhere in the OP, "yes the enhanced edition is just as good if not better than tutu/BGT but they are free if you already own the games." Gets asked about once per page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm kind of annoyed at the AI scripts to be honest, they all seem to be either not working, or working too well. Give Aerie the Cleric Healer script? She doesn't do anything half the time. Give Hexxat the Thief Aggressive script? Can't detect traps for poo poo because she tries to re-stealth every round due to said script.

Combat scripts just arent worth it tbh. Theres nothing more irritating than having your own commands constantly overridden. SCS ones were marginally better than default.

That said I like the thief one that either stays hidden or looking for traps, out of combat.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The game definitely presents the shadow thieves as the "lesser of two evils" option, I think there's actually a dialogue option that says explicitly that when Bodhi offers you the cheaper rate. All the evil NPCs suggest you take her offer, all the good NPCs (except Anomen) say that she gives them a bad vibe and not to take it.

Most fantasy settings romanticise thieves guild-type organisations into good guys against corrupt/ineffective/powerless authorities.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

uwu culture posted:

I think my least favourite character in the EE content is CHARNAME. There are so many dialogues where they not only repeatedly interrupt people who are speaking to make "funny" quips, they also constantly answer questions that aren't even directed at them.

Seriously Rasaad, Neera, Hexxat and Dorn have all told me to shut up already but there is never an option to do so, and other npcs' speeches are frequently broken up into the same completely unnecessary dialogue choice after every line:

1. Yes, I'd like to progress
2. I am funny
3. Now die!

I already said I'd help when we first met! Why do I have to make the same choice over and over again?

I've noticed that too, you're constantly forced to answer questions for NPCs which often have no bearing on the conversation outcome anyway.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Corvinus posted:

EE nerfs Offensive Spin so hard it practically kills any reason to be a Blade. Only thing a F/M doesn't do better than a Blade is Dispel Magic.

Blades get traps and UAI too. Still plenty good.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Accretionist posted:

Anyone else accidentally ruin their reputation on Neera's BG2 quest when you hit the Red Wizard den in the promenade? I took the "I'll kill you all" option as a merciful exit from the dialog and killed everyone who turned turned red amd attacked, which included civilians I guess.

I reloaded from the autosave outside, killed Neera and removed her from party instead.

Its just the shop keeper. That part is significantly more difficult than it would otherwise be because you cant use AoE spells. Also a bit buggy, I remember taking the "lets not kill everyone immediately" option, then being able to attack and kill the red wizards around the room first without the mercenaries also goong hostile.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

kingcom posted:

Yep, she resurrects for free after a rest (shes in her casket which is inside a bag of holding since vampires cant be killed except for the stake in the heart deal and a few other methods).

Or one hour of in-game time (possibly two? Its short anyway).

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

So, I was looking at the list of new-found magic items on the official forums and (obviously whole game spoilers) man, why does Hexxat get basically nothing whatsoever? All the others get some great items, specifically Dorn gets several amazing ones, and Neera/Rasaad gets a few great ones and tons of okay to good stuff, most ofit with fun if not terribly powerful effects. Meanwhile Hexxat gets...one mediocre dagger, and that's it. Oh, and two slots taken up by a necklace (does it do anything?) and the cloak. I mean, it was already obvious that despite people's initial worries, she doesn't hold a candle to Dorn (or Edwin, Aerie, Sarevok) in the 'overpowered' department, between being a single-class thief and mediocre daylight stats - hell, even vastly outleveling all my other characters, her THAC0 is complete poo poo - significantly worse than Dorn/my MC even with regular stats, worse than unbuffed (except 18/00 str) Viconia with the cloak on - and this is just putting her further behind. Apparently there was supposed to be a cloak upgrade that got cut due to technical limitations, which makes me wonder what those limitations could be, but considering that slot's mandatory anyway, even adding it wouldn't make me impressed with her loadout.

Hexxat has innate 1HP/5seconds regeneration, immunity to level drain, poison and disease, 20 Strength and Dexterity, can't be chunked and automatically resurrects. Her non-removable necklace is a pretty small price to pay. Her cloak is hardly a problem, apart from ambushes I can think of like 5 fights that occur outdoors in BG2 and none of them are at all difficult. Other than that she never needs to be wearing it in combat.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 29, 2013

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

The chunk/resurrect parts aren't really that important unless you're running ironman or similar. (New NPC spoilers) The other bonuses are nice, but they're EASILY balanced by her being a single-class thief. Most of the fun stuff with UAI or backstab REALLY wants dual or multi-class, except plain old staff backstabbing (and backstab only works on select enemies). I mean, she's already really not pulling her weight very well in SoA chapter 2, and the others are only going to get stronger - Dorn's ridiculous armor, helm (if you pick that quest-solution) and mega-sword can carry him on their own, and Neera and Rasaad are both classes that get progressively better as you get further into SoA and ToB. I'd be more okay with it if the other NPCs were in line with the original ones and didn't get so much ridiculous stuff. The cloak is super loving annoying because you keep accidentally putting her in the sunlight after fighting inside/at night. As for outside fights, there's at least 2 new, somewhat challenging ones just from Dorn's quest alone, tons of stuff in Suldanesselar, a good number of stuff in ToB, just from the top of my mind.

True I wasnt thinking of Suldanesselar.

Dorn really isnt that great. He was good in BG1 mainly for his 19str but in BG2 he doesnt stack up to Korgan or Sarevok, or if you take the path that costs him his Blackguard powers he doesnt even compare to Minsc.

Hexxat isnt super powerful I agree, not in the same league as Keldorn/Aerie/Haer'dalis, but none of the new NPCs are. She's decent enough, a damnside better than Yoshimo, and to be honest I'd take her over Dorn.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Alikchi posted:

What do you guys think of crossbows in the EEs? Any ever worth using?

In BG1, only one is really. I've always found it unfair that bows have a default of 2 APR while slings and crossbows only have 1, but the Light Crossbow of Speed from the blacksmith in Bereghost is ok because it gives +1 APR and Bolts of Lightning do more damage than any of the magic arrows or bullets (+4d4 damage, save for half). Despite those bolts being the best ranged ammo, an extra attack per round will lead to more damage anyway.

Best long bow is 2APR, +2 damage and +3 THAC0, best composite long bow is 2APR, +3 damage and +2 THAC0, and best short bow is 2APR, +2 damage and +2 THAC0.

Best crossbows are either 2APR, +1 damage and +1 THAC0 or 1APR, +2 damage and +5 THAC0.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Am I the only one who never bothered with HLA traps? It always just felt...too easy, even for overpowered stuff in BG2. It's not even an honor-system thing, it just sounds way too boring for me to ever bother with. Not sure I've ever placed a single one in all my forays into ToB.

Yeah its on par with dropping cloudkill on enemies from out of sight/closing a door earlier on in the game. A dragon dying instantly to 100d20 damage from your 5 traps is not really very fun way to do the fight.

In my current ironman run on the other hand, I fully intend to abuse the poo poo out of stuff like that.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Kangaxx is the dumbed fight in the game. Either you're not protected and so your whole party is imprisoned in two rounds, or you're protected and you just click on him and go make a bagel.

For the record you can also use Berserker Rage or SI:Abjuration alongside Death Ward (for his occasional castings of Wail of the Banshee).

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

divx posted:

If I use EEKeeper to change Edwin to a wild mage in BGEE will it carry over to BG2EE?

No, the NPCs in BG1 and BG2 are essentially separate entities.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Regarding fighters being underpowered at the end of the game - I think SCS does a really good job of making them more useful simply because your mages are going to be so busy taking down protections that you actually rely on your fighters to kill poo poo. Improved WW with a 2H weapon is pretty ridiculous also.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Opinion question: I've got Minsc and Anomen and can't decide who should dual wield Flail of Ages/Crom Faeyr, and who should tank with Defender of Easthaven. Obviously there are better options in the game for tanks but that's the party I'm running so deal with it. I'm thinking Minsc dual wield since he already has the pips from being a ranger. Can't remember if Anomen will get access to fighter HLAs as well is all - if not then Minsc is the obvious choice for tank later on and I'd want to start putting Anomen's proficiencies into dual wield.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Factor_VIII posted:

No, Anomen only gets Cleric HLAs.

Guess Minsc is my tank then. Probably for the best, Anomen needs to be free to cast anyway.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Nation posted:

I need help with my solo F/M/T in BG2 - Greater Werewolves are kicking my rear end fiercely on the way to Firkraag what is the best way to deal?

I know i can handle the dragon but hosed if i can beat the 5 werewolves and pals outside his door.

Are you playing in the Enhanced Editions, or in regular BG2? Because the latter has bugged Greater Werewolves.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Greater Werewolves have 2hp per second regen which isnt that hard to outdamage. That regen was reapplied every time you loaded a saved game though, so even with only a couple of reloads they were regaining 36hp every round. That's pretty hard to outdamage solo.

EE has fixed this, as have the BG2 fix packs.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Suspicious posted:

Really? A <18 INT wizard will never gain level 9 slots in the EE?

I can't confirm yet but I'm pretty sure they just cant scribe level 9 scrolls. The number of spells castable at each level isn't influenced by INT.

You just need a Potion of Genius, its not much of an issue.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

fong posted:

I can't confirm yet but I'm pretty sure they just cant scribe level 9 scrolls. The number of spells castable at each level isn't influenced by INT.

You just need a Potion of Genius, its not much of an issue.

I can now confirm this: the restriction is on scribing scrolls not on casting the spells.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Skwirl posted:

De'Arnise Keep is good, Unseeing Eye (the first thing you run into in the temple district) isn't too hard, though there's one fight in the sewers that can be hard, if it's too much you can go the long way around them. Trademeet isn't bad, if you have issues with the final fight ask here and we can tell you how to cheat, but make sure you have a druid and they're fully rested with a good spell selection. Umar hills isn't too bad as long as you've got a cleric and you get Mazzy, who can be a fun little archer.

Unseeing Eye needs the Shield of Balduran otherwise its ridiculous and not for newbies. De'Arnise keep is good and most of the other quests you find that don't require you to leave the city are fine - the slavers, the thief quests in the docks and the Graveyard quests are always the ones I start with.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

homeless poster posted:

I wish they would have updated some of the existing strong hold quests too. I'm playing a Kensai/Mage and all three of my junior wizards died attempting to make whatever it was I had picked, and then the Cowled Wizard NPC shows up and basically says "welp they all died I'm not sure what the point of this was" and then he just teleports off.

I have no idea what the point of all this was either. You gave me three apprentices and all I got was bloody chunks all over my laboratory.

All of the stronghold quests involve making decisions that can lead to your stronghold essentially becoming useless. The Paladin and Cleric ones are the most brutal in this regard.

In the case of the mage one you should usually go for the conservative choices, otherwise your apprentices die. If all three apprentices survive you get a bunch of XP then one of them offers to make you a steady stream of potions for free - I guess that would be considered a success in the mage stronghold.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Am I the only one who found that SCS doesn't really change that much in my approach to mages? I guess it extends them by a round or so, but the only difference is having to cast Ruby Ray of Reversal first if they had used SI:Abjuration or Spell Trap, and Pierce Magic if they had Spell Turning. Otherwise its just the same - Breach and then bash them with weapons. I guess I'm of the opinion that this just adds tedium to fights.

What I like about the mod are the other AI enhancements that improve their targeting and responses to play buffs and such. I also really like the player scripts it adds, they go a long way to removing the tedium of buffing and healing your party after fights and its nice having a fighter script that will auto attack but won't randomly switch your target if you've told it to attack something.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Rascyc posted:

This is really trivializing how a lot of the harder SCS mage fights actually go, and the mage fights are generally pretty varied. As formulaic as the general approaches to mages go, it generally doesn't end up like this in practice due to all sorts of stuff that can go wrong.

This is typically because the enemy mages will do a lot of poo poo against you in the 3 rounds it takes to debuff them (1st for removing invis, 2nd for SI, and the 3rd for breach). And then you will usually have to do it again when a contingency kicks in. And then usually the last contingency is just PfMW and you can simply swap to normal weapons at that point.

But during that time you will see at least one or two dispel magics thrown against you, and then CC or direct damage spells later in the game (why hello horrid wilting and dragon's breath!). Your mage can doing his best to debuff the mage, but what do you do when your mage gets dispelled during this (since enemy caster dispels are way stronger than yours, as their mage levels are hopelessly set high in SCS), and then starts getting their face smashed in by Balor demons that got gated in. Do you delay the debuffing process to put up your own spell protections again, etc.

Chain contingency of course, really starts to smash mages though.

Most balanced parties have at least 2 arcane users so it only takes one round to stip protections then a second round to cast Breach, particularly once you start to pick up those wands with breach/pierce magic in them. Point is there are only one or maybe two extra spells you have to cast.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Rascyc posted:

That's not true at all, have you actually played the mod??

I mean I get what you're saying, but you're oversimplifying the impact of the mod and the encounters it changes. Take the house with three Rakshasa, it's a pretty challenging fight even though you know the formulas.

Or the fight in the wizard's sphere against the necromancer and his two mage cronies who instantly gate in three demons and will then shadow door. The necro will even simalcrum on the hardest difficulties or whatever.

There's a bunch of these with various twists. In general the meta-magic duels are not about single mage vs mage fights, it's about entire parties that involve mages against you. The Circle fight, the Divine Fury party, etc.

You've got me wrong, I'm not saying SCS isn't harder. I was addressing the conversation about mage buffing and its issues, my point was that in terms of the buffs you have to remove from mages its just a bit more tedious than before but the approach is still more or less the same. Like I said, I really like the improved scripts and the way the AI actually uses its spells.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Mickey McKey posted:

I am undecided about what to do in the Sahuagin city. Any particular way that is better in terms of XP or loot? I dont even need details, just a general idea. I am leaning helping the rebels because I'm pretty rich at this point and I figure I'll earn more bonus XP via aiding the rebels.

I usually do the quest (working for either side, doesn't really matter), then slaughter everything afterwards.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Don't forget that druids can offhand Belm. I'd make a beserker/druid dual class into a dual wielder personally, especially since you wont get impWW to make the most of those 2h weapons. Start with scimitars in BG1 then switch to clubs in BG2 (or keep on with scimitars, there are some decent ones in Watchers Keep).

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Mickey McKey posted:

I just pickpocketed the matron mother of the Drow city for like ~5,000+ gold worth of stuff :psyduck:

You have the option to kill her later on anyway. I'd be interested to know if she still drops the gold and such if you'd already pickpocketed her of it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

You won't be OP. You will have an early game advantage that becomes increasingly marginal. A completionist run will net you about 270k exp total. Past level 9, a Paladin needs 300k for every single level up. You see how it becomes irrelevant in the long run.

I like to do it more because of the stat tomes you get in BG1. Starting BG2 with 19 (or 20) in your main stats is nice, particularly strength since then you can give that belt to someone else.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

gender illusionist posted:

So what's a good weapon combo for a clanger? Other than the usual Flail of the ages/Crom Faeyr, is there anything interesting?

Defender of Easthaven works well alongside the spells Iron Skins and Armor of Faith. Add the HLA Hardiness later on and you've got one of the best tanks in the game. You can use that + shield earlier then move to offhanding DoE and mainhanding Flail of Ages in TOB since a lot of the tougher enemies have THAC0 low enough to hit you regardless of your AC.

Other benefits of being the tank is casting Nature's Beauty - it only has a short radius but if you're the focus of everything you'll hit them all.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Archonic posted:

Dual-Classing works like this: you level up your Kensai until you decide to Dual-Class (let's say level 9.)

Your Kensai stops levelling at level 9. You lose access to all of your Kensai stuff (including equippable Kensai items, like swords) until your Mage levels reaches 9. Once that happens, all of your Kensai stuff comes back and you can use it in conjunction with your Mage levels, but you never progress further in the Kensai class.

Your mage has to get to level 10 before you would get your Kensai stuff back.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

MrTheDevious posted:

Grandmastery is crap honestly. You get an extra 2 damage and 1 attack/round, but both of those are totally eclipsed by Fighter HLA Whirlwind and Crit Strike before you even consider Hardiness. I really don't think Kensage is better in any area at all than just F/M multi except maybe the end of SoA before you hit ToB and start packing on fighter HLAs. It's barely better even then, but HLAs blow Kensage out of the water in ToB

With improved haste, grandmastery, those gauntlets and an offhand you can get 10APR anyway. Plus you can stack Kai with Critical Strike.

Point is they're both pretty great.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'm pretty sure they've fixed that in BG2EE.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Mickey McKey posted:

I just vorpal sworded the Shadow Dragon in the Umar hills. I guess that was a well timed Breach :v:.

Once you get Summon Planetar you just need to sick them on any dragon in SoA and the dragon will be dead in 5-10 seconds because of their vorpal effect. They didnt bother making anything immune to vorpal effects in SoA~

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Just by way of protecting your party, make sure you've got Chaotic Commands (level 5 cleric spell) and Remove Fear on all of your people. That'll protect them from any disables that he can throw out.

Your other problem is that you don't really have a tank. Draconis has a THAC0 somewhere between -20 and -30 so he's going to hit you regardless of your AC. You'll either need a mage to tank by keeping Stoneskin and Mirror Image up, or you hopefully got the Hardiness HLA with one of your fighters.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Molybdenum posted:

so, not only did I screw up Neera's ToB quest (and missed most of her SoA content), I also messed up Hexxat's. I think I'm done.

For Neera's, just find the area code and warp yourself back there with the console.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I gotta say, BG1 definitely gets better once you get a few levels. After dicking around with the character creator for over a week I finally settled on an elven ranger, and even at Level 3 I'm already unable to be hit by like 3/4 of the enemies I face. The grill stronghold was basically me and Minsc storming into the fray, exploding every other gnoll into chunks with reckless abandon while the rest of the team stood back and plinked away with slings and arrows.

I do have a question about party placement, though; I grabbed Minsc's wizard friend so he would stay, but decided to keep Branwen and drop Jaheira (primarily because at the same level she has access to way more spells, plus she seems a little hardier in battle) since I didn't want to give up Imoen, my only thief. Now I have an empty slot, but should I add Edwin? He seems like the type to start a conflict with Minsc, or to abandon the party because I keep helping people and gaining popularity. I was also thinking of just trying to make it through the Nashkel mines with five people and grabbing that one mopey wizard at the end, or maybe even picking up Garrick just to have the extra support. Are these bad ideas?

Also, can I come back later if I want to pick Khalid and Jaheira back up? I kinda left them on the bridge to the gnoll stronghold. Same with Xzar and Montaron in the Nashkel inn, but I doubt I'll be using them again anyway.

I'm assuming this isn't the Enhanced Edition? Either way one mage is fine for BG1. You'd do OK with just the 5 of you anyway but I'd probably grab a stronger ranged damage dealer like Kivan (from High Hedge area) or wait and pick up Coran later on (in the first Cloakwood Area - can't get there until after the Bandit Camp). Keep in mind though, these are probably the two most powerful NPCs in BG1 so if you want to make it a bit harder then get Ajantis instead (a Paladin from the farm area North of the Friendly Arm Inn). Garrick and Xan (mopey mage) are both pretty terrible NPCs - Garrick is arguably the worst in the game, Xan just because his mage specialisation doesn't let him cast some of the most useful mage spells.

Also yes, Khalid and Jaheira will wait on that bridge for the rest of their lives now.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Shar-Teel is evil and just doesn't have enough Con to justify using her, Yeslick is alright, but suffers from both low Strength and low Dex. Ajantis is better I guess, especially since the Dex Gauntlets are easier to get then the Ogre Power ones, but he can't use bows/won't get mastery by the end of the game like Khalid will, so it still seems they are fairly evenly matched.

Best part about Shar-Teel is dual classing her to Thief, she can deal out some decent backstabs.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hammer Floyd posted:

So what do we think is the "canon" character class for the Bhaalspawn? I was thinking Sorcerer as the dude is meant to be inherently powerful...

There's no such thing really. Given the PC is raised in a fortress/library then druid, ranger and barbarian (and maybe monk) don't make much sense, but beyond that any class could be justified based on what's available in Candlekeep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Its not at all the same as just using an editor. That's like saying you might as well just cheat in +1 to each stat on your character in BG2 instead of playing through BG1 and getting the stat tomes.