Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

cheesetriangles posted:

Evil party may be only level 10 but they put in some serious work.

Is that Hexxat? I thought she was a Drow not a literal black human woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

She is a literal black human woman. Also how well does Slayer work on mind flayers?

Now I'm super confused as to why I thought she was a Drow. I know that claim was made repeatedly. ...I think?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

amanasleep posted:

Viconia is Drow.

I don't follow. More likely it's the name. Sounds like something the Drow would come up with.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

TINA TURNER posted:

She's black and drows are black too.

Drow are jet black. A bunch of people were claiming she was Drow up to release and it was never clarified. This is much cooler to be honest.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Speaking of which, are there any of the "traditional" BG1 mods (e.g. BG1UB, fixpacks, etc.) that aren't included in EE? Trying to figure out how much extra stuff I need to install to get EE up to the same level as a normal modded BGT install.

This is something I'm wondering as well.

Does BGEE change how Shapeshifters work at all, while we're at it?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Is the BG2 Tweakpack currently working with BG2EE? Because gently caress rolling for HP.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

You could set the in-game difficulty slider for that in BG1EE - did they drop that in 2? If so, that's a dick move with jam on top.

Yeah it's just lowering the difficulty every time I level up is kind of a pain in the rear end. :effort:

And I'm not sure if you can do that in multiplayer.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Is there anything stopping you from, as a Monk, recruiting Rasaad in BG2 and doing his quest and then immediately stripping him of all his sweet gear and kicking him to the curb?

Because a PC Monk could make far better use of that stuff than he ever could.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cool. Wasn't sure if his gear was locked yo him and only him. As for Monks I honestly found that they get going pretty fast in BG2. It really doesn't take long at all to become a Fighter But Better.

Clanger is always a good idea. Always.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

I read it's because the get all druid spells as well as cleric (they shouldn´t in theory). On the surface it doesn't sound so fantastic since they share so many spells. The ranger levels give a better THAC0 but why not just use a Fighter/Druid?

Because having Iron Skins AND Draw Upon Holy Might AND good THAC0 is impossible without the glory that is the Clanger.

Also Insect Swarm.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

jBrereton posted:

I thought multiclass Fighters only got two points in specific weapon proficiencies? (with Dual-Class fighters/x getting to grandmastery)

This is correct.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kithrixx posted:

Fighter/Druids are kind of enormous assholes once they hit HLAs and can shapeshift into horrible monsters while benefiting from Fighter Thac0. Otherwise, they're pretty underwhelming. I wouldn't suggest making a PC Fighter/Druid, especially when Jaheria is present.

Also, for anyone who's looking for the secret NPC for BGIIEE: He's only accessible through Rasaad's quest. Look for the cages and pay for his release.

In my experience, the Druid HLA shapeshifts are not as good for a Fighter/Druid as dual wielding some kickass weapons and having good gear in general. Maybe I'm missing something though.

And what's this secret NPC business about?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kithrixx posted:

Of course they're not as good. Nothing beats the incredibly insane gear options.

That said, Baldur's Gate EE had a secret NPC, and BGII:EE continues the trend.

It's Wilson the Grizzly Bear. You get a quest to find him from the stoner mage in the Wild Mage camp, and he's in the area that Rasaad's quest takes you to.

Well that's the thing. Having incredibly insane gear is the default assumption by time you have HLAs so I'm not sure why HLA Shapeshifting would ever be relevant.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

John McCain posted:

That's a BG2:EE bug.

Wait what's a BG2EE bug? Because if the EE doesn't let me access Watchers Keep in SoA I'm gonna be pretty loving annoyed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Skwirl posted:

For a murderous, slave owning pimp

Theoretically, a branching RPG should have an option for someone who is role playing someone who doesn't want to work with a murderous, slave owning pimp, or a vampire, murderous, slave owning pimp

Why? Sometimes you don't get to have it your way. BG2 already caters to good aligned characters to a ludicrous degree, I don't see it as being a big deal that this one time there is no option that's all smiles and rainbows.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

jBrereton posted:

I like how people playing allegedly good characters are hankering for the "kill literally everyone who helped you but may be engaged in things that are Bad Form" approach here.

OK so you have Bodhi's crew and the Shadow Thieves. Do you then pop down to the Government District to generally take out the trash, Punisher-style? Every Cowled Wizard, maybe? (not that they can't just go to a different plane for a bit and wait it out or whatever Because Magic). After that, do you hang around being some kind of weird dictator to stop anyone possibly evil getting near power?

Hey does anyone remember the opening cutscene of Baldur's Gate at all? :v:

Lets not mince words here, the Shadow Thieves are capital e Evil. They buy and sell slaves. One of the first things you can find in their extra secret hideaway is a massive rear end torture chamber.

They are evil, they just don't intend to turn the people of Athkatla into literal food and/or spread a magical curse/disease that makes you evil regardless of your prior moral stance.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Shadow Thieves never agreed to no butt stuff.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Do Fighter/Thief multi if anything, not a big fan of the dual here, because half the beauty of Fighter/Thief is combining both sets of HLAs in ToB.

Don't feel like you need backstab if you don't want to, although it is about half the point of the class. But the HLA combo really is that strong. Time stop trap into improved critical while hasted, etc, and use any item is no slouch.

Whenever I want to do this, I just play a Blade. :effort:

Offensive Spin is p great yo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rascyc posted:

That's a completely different thing though. You might be thinking of Fighter/Mage being compared to Blade.

Nah. Blade is basically a Fighter/Mage/Thief with way less effort.

Tenser's+Offensive Spin+Time Trap is basically the same deal as what you describe.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Blades definitely don't wait anywhere near 20 levels to be worth a gently caress. I mean, that's the entire point of playing one. They're pretty kickass out the gate and don't attain the potential of a Fighter/Mage/Thief but fudge what is essentially the same results at a much more expedient pace.

It's possible you're not referring to me though with that specific part.

Edit: I'll fully acknowledge that I consider the only worthwhile part about a Thief to be their HLAs. Backstab centric gameplay is just too slow and plodding even by Infinity Engine standards to be worth the time to seriously pursue. :effort:

Edit edit: Death to Thieves.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 25, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rascyc posted:

You can't stack haste with offensive spin anymore (which it says in the kit description, and always has even in vanilla). It was kind of a bug that allowed that in BG2 vanilla anyway and I thought BG2 Fixpack did the same thing anyway? I believe EE also fixes the defensive spin + freedom of movement abuse too, for what that's worth. That one just allowed you to move while defensive spinning in BG2.

The big advantage for Blade is that it gained its spell levels much faster, so it could be much better during much of SoA in the mid-game. F/M will still be good, but I think Blades are better in SoA until the F/M starts getting 7th level spells, and by then HLAs start popping up too.

Yea it won't hold up to that either, haha. Chain contingency is the maximum breakage. Triple horrid wiltings is also a big staple if you want to make SCS+Ascension quite a bit easier due to the amount of enemies that sometimes come your way.

I think it may limit you to one clone up per character.

Oh, is that all? Yeah that was pretty much always the case. Blades should still wreck house just fine then.

Works for me!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

pogothemonkey0 posted:

Where is that written as canon? The only NPCs in that list that I have ever seriously used are Minsc and Jaheira.

As others have written, the five people in Irenicus' dungeon fill all five available party slots sooooo math.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The voice acting in Rasaad's quest is just...awful. I think I would have rathered the devs just not even put in any voice acting than this. If you're going to make yourself look bad in light of 13 year old voice acting you should just not even try.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Neera's voice acting in BG1 was offensively bad. BG2 she's been downgraded to grating I guess? I can't really fault the actress herself too much because I feel it's not really her fault so much as the writing's fault. There's just no saving Neera's character from being annoying :shobon:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

kingcom posted:

Yeah the writing is pretty dumb in general with Neera, I'm not going to dispute that but for some reason I was just not super bothered by the conversations with her in BG2? Maybe because she was mostly focused on other stuff so it felt like I didn't have to have big long spiels about stuff (they used another NPC to info dump on you)? I don't know.

Also I strongly recommend having Hexxat and Aerie in the same party for BG2. Its amazing. Aerie keeps freaking out that theres a goddamn vampire in the party and Hexxat is all 'well I cant do anything about what I am, I just want to be your friend" and Aerie spends the entire game being confused as hell/freaked out because the evil character has done nothing but be nice to her.

That is pretty odd. What is Hexxat like personality wise? It sounds like she's fairly chill.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

kingcom posted:

I was a male character so no idea how it works with a female romance but in general shes more accepted that she didn't essentially choose to be a vampire and is more mindlessly following anything that connects her to her old life. It acts more as a lifeline to her being just a normal person but otherwise is not super aggressive or hostile in most circumstances. She is mostly reserved and chilled though, gets along with most of your party members so that the good characters are extremely conflicted about being hostile to the evil vampire who does nothing but back them up. Essentially shes the exact opposite character to Viconia who does nothing but poo poo on people and talk down to everyone. I really like her but I can see people being annoyed by it (and until I can figure out how to trigger her final quest I cant see how her plot ends).

I think the best character moment for her is that when Minsc is basically making his move to 'I should kill you evil fiend!', she talks about how awesome his miniature giant space hamster is and Minsc is all 'Oh you know him too!' and she immediately turns around and says to you 'thanks for telling me about that.'

I guess shes very good at manipulating peoples perceptions of her but doesn't really use that to harm them?

EDIT: I think they use the Hexxat character to poke a lot of fun at every characters personal flaws. Minsc is a good guy but an idiot, Aerie is an emotional child who is unable to think about thing beyond the absolute surface. Its a cool character and it just makes me want to have her mix with everyone to see what they added.

Sounds bordering on Mary Sue-ish to be honest. "She's a Vampire, but it's totally cool she's alright and basically has no flaws". I dunno. Gives me a wrong vibe.

Factor_VIII posted:

I thought it was rather funny how many of the joinable NPCs seem to have coincidentally ended up in the same area as the PC.

Wouldn't that be following BG2? I thought it was implied fairly strongly that Irenicus did things to Imoen. The three dryads you meed call themselves his concubines and when Imoen talks to them there's the exchange: Imoen: "I used to dream... but he doesn't. Your charms don't work on him anymore, do they?" Dryad: "How do you know of this? He has touched you as we, hasn't he?". Also, there was the bit in ToB where if Imoen gives Sarevok a piece of her soul and then asks him what the effects were he says "Perhaps you would be interested to know that I can feel the knives of Irenicus, slicing into my skin, torturing me. I can feel his hands and his breath, I *know* what he did to you, girl...".

That's certainly possible but Irenicus is simply too dead inside and scientific in his approach to things for me to honestly believe he'd do that. Maybe in the distant past, when there was still enough of him left to feel a desire for the Dryads. But now? He's too far gone.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 26, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm in the minority here, but I really like the interplay between Keldorn/Anomen if they're in the party together. My preferred BG2 party (I like a bit of everything in my groups) with, say, a Blade PC is Blade/Jaheira/Anomen/Keldorn/Jan/Edwin. While the triggers are utterly hosed, the Jaheira romance is pretty deep and relatively well done - it's definitely the best of the three male PC romances. Viconia's is too... carnal? for lack of a better term (though with a touching denouement) and Aerie just makes me want to punch everything in the world at the same time.

Believe it or not, the Enhanced Edition managed to successfully unfuck the Jaheira Romance. I'm still in shock at seeing this romance play out without me needing to CLUAConsole poo poo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

caleramaen posted:

It was mostly bug fixes. No major content changes. If you have any mods I'd re-install them.

Which was patched? BG2EE or BG1EE? And do we have a list of the bugs fixed?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Illegal Username posted:

Protip: Bring Viconia with you when you do Rasaads quest. Near-lethal levels of snark.

Can't say he doesn't deserve it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The problem with Evil Carsomyr is that damage bonuses versus Good are essentially worthless. Most of the poo poo you fight in the game is evil no matter what.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Harrower posted:

What's the best way to build a PC archer type? I'm not married to any particular class, just want to shoot the best arrows/bolts possible. Starting in BG1.

The Archer kit.

Not trying to be snarky, that's really all there is to it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

For an Archer in BG2, is there any real reason not to Grandmaster Crossbows and go grab the Firetooth right away?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

I realized sometime during my last run through of BG1 that one of the more annoying quirks is how NPCs won't gain experience if you leave them sitting around. For example, you bring Jaheira to Beregost, decide you want to ditch her for Kagain for a bit, Jaheira isn't going to gain anything and pretty soon she's going to be far enough behind to not make it worth picking her back up at all.

Well, I'll solve that one, says I. I'm rolling with a party of Imoen/Minsc/Dorn/Neera and then my last slot rotates. Fetched Branwen and kept her until Xan showed up. Kept Xan until he tragically died during the end of Neera's quest (which made me realize that I like his dialogue. Dorn: You could have a traitor in your group! Imoen: You can't mean me. Neera: It isn't me! Xan: Oh who cares, we're all going to die.). I keep grabbing new people, they're leveled up to match me (at the cost of their proficiencies being wonky, but who cares, no one's staying that long) and all is right with the world.

Yeah, I could probably mod people up to proper levels too, but that's too much like work.

Just...just use CLUAConsole: SetCurrentXP("<EXP value that your party has>")

It's simple and effective, and is pretty much what I always do for that very reason.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Work? It literally consist of hitting CTRL+Space and then typing some words. Specifically, the exact words I just typed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

MrTheDevious posted:

He never runs out. Ever. It's an innate for him. Just use a prot from undead scroll and it turns into the dumbest fight I've had so far. He just stands there while you smash his nuts into his throat.

Kangaxx does not have either of those body parts. :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DSauer posted:

I've never played the Baldur's Gate series games but I have played the poo poo out of Torment and both Icewind Dales. Would it be worth it to install something like SCS for an infinity engine vet, or would I better off playing stock for a first run? I don't know how differently those two games play compared to IWD I & II.

Very little in common with IWD2 or Torment, a fair bit in common with IWDI.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

fong posted:

Kangaxx is the dumbed fight in the game. Either you're not protected and so your whole party is imprisoned in two rounds, or you're protected and you just click on him and go make a bagel.

For the record you can also use Berserker Rage or SI:Abjuration alongside Death Ward (for his occasional castings of Wail of the Banshee).

Vhailor Helm double Daystar to blow up his first form while Berserked, followed by clubbing him with the Mace of Disruption is pretty much my standard method yeah. Kangaxx is a pretty silly guy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

I liked Neera's ToB quest. Really, all of Neera's questline stuff is good, and it actually approaches thematic resonance (or whatever) in that the Neera / Thayan baddie conflict is essentially a mirror image of the Bhaalspawn / Sarevok conflict. They never explicitly make it text, but it's there.

I also enjoyed the Szass Tamm feature / fights, tho the VA they gave him wasn't great. He was maybe my favorite Forgotten Realms cheese villain as a kid so it was cool to run that quest, including the obligatory WotC plot armor they slapped on him.

Ultimately the Neera quests fell flat for me because, knowing what I do of Thay, I have a really hard time believing they would give the first gently caress about Wild Mages.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I'm fairly certain that that is the intended design, actually. There's a reason there are so many NPCs you can recruit, after all, and this was before Bioware settled into the character-focused mindset. You're playing a Dungeons and Dragons game, and DMs inflicting horrible bullshit on players just for kicks is both normal and expected.

It really isn't. Gygaxian DMing hasn't been the norm for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I am well aware of what BG1 is meant to evoke. It is a wildly different game from BG2 in that and many other respects.