Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

DSauer posted:

I've never played the Baldur's Gate series games but I have played the poo poo out of Torment and both Icewind Dales. Would it be worth it to install something like SCS for an infinity engine vet, or would I better off playing stock for a first run? I don't know how differently those two games play compared to IWD I & II.
Play stock first for sure, so you know what exactly components you want to install when it comes to SCS. SCS isn't necessarily meant for "D&D vets", it's meant for people who have played the BG series and want a different gameplay experience. Some components increase difficulty much more than others, so when you get there and if you want some pointers just ask. For example I don't consider pre-buffing by mages to be that insane, but you need to know what you are doing and it really isn't a min/max problem per say.

On the other hand improved Beholders makes me tear my hair out to the point where these days I just flood the beholder hive with massive armies of summons and then use farsight to direct them (you bet your rear end I lift the summoning cap too, haha).

What SCS ends up doing in practice is presenting you with a bunch of challenges that you get figure out and then get used to for the rest of the game. Once you figure out how to fight one high level mage, you can generally use the same exact process for every single mage in the game. The same goes for a lot of the other components like improved rogues who love to pull multiple backstabs in a fight by chain quaffing invisibility potions (this one infuriated me a ton when I first played SCS, but then you discover glitterdust is literally one of the best spells in the game against non-mages).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lobst posted:

I picked up Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition recently and I'm generally pretty happy with it, but during my last BG1 playthrough I installed a mod that made the world map look like this, and I can't for the life of me remember what it's called. Does anyone know where to find it, and if so, is it BG:EE-compatible?
Pretty sure that's a result of running BG1 vanilla in Tutu or BGT. It basically just uses the BG2 interface which includes the colored map.

I don't think you can get that in BG:EE, at least not to my knowledge.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Draile posted:

This reminds me that I never go to the farmlands outside Baldur's Gate. Is there anything of note there?
Zombie apocalypse quest. It's nothing special, just some easy low experience. It's just one of those gag/homage quests.

Excelzior posted:

I use keeper to make him an Archer instead of the downright useless Stalker kit and he becomes so much more useful it makes me wonder what exactly the design plan for him was :confused:
Stalker is basically a Fighter/Thief or a Thief->Fighter dual, except it'll level faster since it's not a multi-class. It can eventually cast the haste spell as well. Basically you get a weaker backstab but you land it with a better thac0 score and then just let it fight on the front lines with dual wielding or just setup another backstab. The problem is that you really don't want to leave him in his special armor if you want to front line him, instead opting for Shadow Leather to get his AC to a bearable level where he doesn't get gibbed on the front line.

The problem with stalker is really that it's not one of the fighter/thief power builds. It's a little better in SoA (due to level progression) but completely inferior in ToB due to HLAs, and if you did the thief->fighter dual then you also get grandmastery. You can also take Valygar's armor and wear it on a F/T with the UAI HLA. The upside here is that if you do want something that plays like a Fighter/Thief in combat, and you don't want it to be your main character, then Valygar is the closest it gets to that before you start modding characters.

[e]Honestly Valygar gets a bad rap but he is perfectly playable (doesn't his weapon inflict poison/bleeds too? This should ignore stoneskin IIRC so yeah). For most hated NPC in the game I reserve that for Cernd, the Shapeshifter.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 1, 2013

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ProfessorCirno posted:

The thing with AD&D - or at least with Badlur's Gates rules - is that, while obviously extremely obtuse, it's still mostly very newbie friendly. If I'm making a Fighter I'm told upfront what each stat does, why I want them, and that's it. The end. I make a fighter, the game says "Yo get high strength, dex, and con," and I do that. It's hard to gently caress that up. Likewise for thief - you want high dexterity.
Ya but you're only looking at one particular facet. What makes BG games quite a bit more difficult to grok is that most of the time, you have no actual idea what the gently caress is going on in a fight because of poor feedback systems and stuff. I'm sure countless people with no D&D experience got through character creation fine, and then just sat there wondering what the hell do they do when their party mates start screaming, "MY WEAPON IS INEFFECTIVE!" with no explanation as to what was going on. Or what the hell is happening when they're beating on a mage and nothing is happening because they're stripping stone skins with no feedback.

The spell system falls into a similar bin. In the old BG2 thread, a few times a year we'd have a big discussion with a newcomer who would say all the spells were useless and just stick to fireball and magic missiles. And then subsequently ask what the hell do they do when they lose control of their party mates to the few ways that this can happen.

The combat log is really quite terrible. If I could just have it list what spells have been cast and only that, I'd be thrilled. It's just so spammy and god forbid you ever want to look at your combat rolls in a sane fashion.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zarfol posted:

First time through BG2 so far, maybe 10-15 hours in:

Keldorn owns with his dispel magic but then slaughtered Viconia god drat it.
Jahiera was being such a massive rear end in a top hat but then got blasted by the red dragon so I can't resurrect her. Good riddance.
Shut the gently caress up Aerie about your god damned life. I was scared she was going to bail after I told her to stop whining and then I'd be out of a cleric.

I wish Blades (since I'm playing as one) could disable traps so then I could get rid of Jan and pick up another strong fighter dude. I think I should have made a fighter/thief or fighter/mage/thief so I could have my main guy disarm traps and scout.

I want to pick up Dorn, but I get the feeling he'll fight with Keldorn. Plus, Aerie was bitching as soon as I even talked to Dorn.

Was wandering around in a tavern and ran into a lich behind a hidden door. Keldorn with Carsomyr absolutely wrecked him, which is why I'm scared to get rid of him.
Don't worry your attitude for the characters will probably keep Keldorn actually IN the party. You'll see when you get there!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Gyshall posted:

I'm playing a new Baldurs Gate EE game this weekend and I want to use Edwin in my party, since I never have and he seems to be a Pretty Cool Guy.

I'm planning on playing a Chaotic Neutral Fighter/Mage, since they own, with the intention of playing through to EE2.

I think I want to use Dorn, since he is also awesome. Any suggestions for more party members to round this out?

Some ideas:

F/M PC, Dorn, Kagain, Viconia, Edwin, Imoen

If you don't care about Imoen then grab Shar-teel and dual class into rogue at like fighter level 3 or something just to take advantage of the fighter hit dice maybe.

If you don't are about Viconia and Imoen then grab Tiax and have fun with his summon ability and fill your last slot with Branwen for pure class cleric power or Shar-teel for even more physical obliteration.

I'm just not a big fan of Xzar/Montaron when it comes down to it.

Kagain doesn't get a lot of discussion but he's still probably one of the best warriors in the game and for BG1 when he's walking around with 20 constitution.

MrTheDevious posted:

Anyone else know how to fix FPS issues with IWD2? I'm using the GOG version and it's running at like 5 frames per second. It's obviously not my computer so I'm hoping somebody else has already had the same issue and fixed it

Refer to step 6 here:

http://zeckul.wordpress.com/2012/01/10/icewind-dale-2-ultimate-installation-guide/

It's a frequent problem. The same fix applies for problems in Planescape. For some reason they got rid of the DirectDraw options in those games so you have to force it yourself.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 6, 2013

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Factor_VIII posted:

His constitution is great, though his strength (16) and dexterity (12) aren't that great. I guess you could slap the gauntlets of dexterity or strength or the belt of strength from the enhanced edition to turn him into a physical stat juggernaut, though that would deny these items to other characters. He does have the advantage that he can get grandmastery though and he does level faster than rangers, paladins or multiclass PCs so he certainly has advantages.

I though that some of the "wacky" dialog the PC gets in the new content is rather excessive. The original game had the PC use some too, but it was more sporadic and rather more low key.
Yeah it's pretty stupid how so many characters need the gloves of dexterity. Keldorn too in BG2.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

MrTheDevious posted:

Just loaded an old ToB save to check -- My Rasaad's level 32

-13 AC base which is by far the best in my party, -11 THACO
Fists are +4 1d20, 4 attacks/round, immune to basically everything and 88% raw magic resist.

He plows.
I think you can hit like -20 AC at that level but yeah, monks are pretty stupid at high levels.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The only part of playing Zerk/Druid is that Zerker Rage is really, really, REALLY strong for all of BG. It's pretty much CC immunity to some of the stupidest bullshit in the game, including imprisonment if I recall correctly.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

TjyvTompa posted:

Are there some hidden rules about summoning creatures? I know that you can only summon 5 of them but it seems you can't summon for example 2 Devas at the same time? I also received the message that I can't summon any more creatures when I only had 1 Deva and 1 Planetar summoned, why is that? Can a character only use 1 summon spell at a time or something?
Devas and Planetars are special. They're not classed strictly as summons but are hard coded to 1 per at a time.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It's kind of amazing how powerful gauntlets of ogre power and giant strength belts are, you can turn basically any non-mage from zero to frontline hero with them.
Except she's still a 1 attack per round character. She's poo poo on the front line. You can layer her with every single cleric buff that people talk about but it's still 1 attack per round.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Factor_VIII posted:

Anomen has an advantage compared to Viconia in that respect. Since he's a dual-classed Fighter/Cleric, he gets an extra half attack from his fighter levels and since he can get grandmastery in a weapon and thus (at least in the EE which restores the old version) get extra attacks from there as well.
Yeah, Anomen supremacy!

I only like Viconia for MR gimmicky builds.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Kanos posted:

It gets even worse into ToB when actual warrior types start rolling out Greater Whirlwinds to make every non-warrior class look like complete horse poo poo in melee combat. You can't really do a really good battle cleric in BG2 unless you're a multi or dual class.
Greater Whirlwind is mediocre though compared to Improved Critical. Just substitute improved haste instead for double APR. Even if the target is immune to criticals, you are still rolling perfect 20s for the hit roll anyway.

JustJeff88 posted:

Branwen was my "tank" cleric in BG1, though she isn't really that heavy, she just has a slightly better STR and a much better con than Viconia, but not nearly the dex so I'm not sure how much it matters in the long run. In my recent BG1EE run I had the Gauntlets on Vic and the "cursed" belt on Jaheira until my blade got up a few levels, then I swapped.
I vastly prefer Yeslick when it comes to BG1 clerics, but Viconia isn't shabby in BG1 when you can actually make use of all her heal spells. The ring that gives clerics a bonus slot up to level 4 or whatever is really useful.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Are there any tweaks to BG1/2 that increase the speed of trap detection? I just don't have the patience for creeping forward anymore, even when I already know where most of them are located.
Increasing frame rate should increase the round speed, and thus the frequency of the trap detection pulse.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Oh right, I shuld really just abuse that spell. Not like there's many other cleric spells worth casting at level 2 anyways.
Slow Poison, Hold Person, Chant...

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

I keep a couple slow poisons and chant handy at all times, but I've always found hold person to be one of the more underwhelming AOE disablers. It has a short range and has to target a unit, making it a crappy spell to open a fight with. Long casting time makes it a risky choice for ambush situations too. So long as there's a mage with glitterdust memorized, hold person is superfluous.

I still cast it sometimes because hey, there's lots of slots at level 2 even in BG1, but it's seldom been much help.

Edit:

This spell is kinda silly. The AC bonus scales extremely slowly compared to the rate at which magical equipment is rewarded, so the only class that can benefit from it is mages. Even then, an archmages robe provides more AC up until the cleric caster is level 12. +1 to save is OK, except the bonus is added to everything except save vs spell, one of the most important saves.
Agreed but both hold person and barkskin have their places in BG1. In BG2 I definitely agree 100%.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Actually one of the main reasons they're considered even good despite the drawbacks. It's very easy to cap magic resistance with them.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lordpen posted:

I thought of a build with one using the soul reaver +4, that removes 2 thaco on every hit. Greater whirlwind fools for 100% cast failure and no thaco, profit?

Never did bother though.
There would be no point. Just gib stuff in general at that level if it's even going to be effected by the cast failure in the first place. Everything else are giant physical damage HP sponge machines.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I wouldn't even bother. Do a Fighter/Thief multi if you want to play that type of character, so you can pull from both HLA lists, and have all the good thief skills on one character.

As it is if you dual from Swash to Fighter you're basically just gaining 2 AC and 2 Damage per hit over playing a vanilla fighter. Your level 11 swashbuckler required 220,000 experience, so your fighter will need to accumulate 1,000,000 experience to regain your swashbuckler perks. Which is doable but it's going to be annoying if it's your first time through the game (don't dual on your first play through is what most people suggest).

If you stay as Swash you'll keep gaining more bonus damage per hit which actually adds up, and you would be well advised to crank your AC up as high as possible while wearing Jan's adventure wear or something in ToB once you have the Use Any Item HLA, for the resistances to make up for a lack of hardiness HLAs.

You're only going to lose out on 1 APR I believe by staying swash, as I believe specilization and grandmastery do not apply to swashbucklers, and I think some thac0 and obviously some HP.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Corvinus posted:

2 APR less, 4 APR less with Imp Haste. Granted, a Swashy can have Scarlet Ninja-to and Belm for 4 baseline APR, but that means no using the highest damage weapons.

If one knows how to use EEKeeper, make a fighter/thief multiclass and then edit in the Swashbuckler kit. Warning: the combination is quite cheesy.
Hmm, what am I missing here? I thought Swashbucklers used the fighter table for APR, it's just they don't get the 1/2 from weapon spec and the 1/2 from GM in EE, so 1 APR before buffs.

amanasleep posted:

The correct way to do this is Kensai -> Thief. Gets every bonus that the Swash -> Fighter gets and more.
Yeah, just really painful getting there in my opinion. I might just hate Kensais though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Looks like the guy who was doing the Ascension port for EE posted today he doesn't have the time to finish it any time soon. So much for ToB:EE!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, I *really* don't like how IWD1 keeps throwing enemies at you that are basically immune to specific things. You can't go anywhere in the second dungeon without enchanted poo poo to deal with all the Ghasts. Having a melee party will gently caress you trying to fight the Ice Salamanders and their passive chill crap. It tends to railroad you into one specific course of action.
I don't really remember the game rail-roading me at all when I played, but I do remember having a balanced party felt very rewarding. So I can see how taking something specialized might feel punishing.

One thing that gave me a little problem is that sometimes you went for very long periods without being able to rest, so things could become grueling. I ended up abusing the bard regeneration song a lot personally.

Honestly I found IWD1 to be a little too easy for my liking, but I so love how good bards and druids are in that game. I've never touched HoF mode though personally, since I think you need mage levels on pretty much anyone who hopes to ever survive the amount of AoEs and stuff that get thrown at you (because mirror image avoids them).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Neera is so goddamn broken late game too because of all the bonuses they give her through her quest. There's definitely some pet character nonsense going on there when they designed her.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
What unique stuff do the other two get?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Azuth0667 posted:

Is it possible to do a solo run as a cleric/thief in BG2? It seems like the thief HLAs could make up for the equipment restriction and the cleric buffs could make up for lacking good fighting skills.
You can pretty much solo the game with anything. Cleric/Thief is really boring though. It's basically methodical chip damage until you get the good traps and then abuse traps

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
If you're just looking for pure fun just go F/M/T and pull off the experience cap in BG1.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

TraderStav posted:

Are you replying to me? I'm new to the game so I don't have context to know. My question was more about how much to micro manage my character throughout the game or to just go with the flow.

Thanks!
Keldorn's an NPC in BG2 that people recommend to beginners because he is an Inquisitor which packs two abilities that can make life a lot easier for beginners who don't know the spell system. Running into invisible enemies, then just pop truesight. Running into enemies hasted and buffed up the gills, pop his dispel magic which is an extra powerful version of the normal spell.

He's also pretty good with weapons, although you may want to do something about his dexterity at some point in the game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

TraderStav posted:

Ah, okay. I'm playing BG1EE so was confused since I didn't see him in the templates.
The advice sort of still applies to BG1: it's just instead of keldorn, you roll your own Inquisitor :P It's a Paladin kit.

Honestly though just play whatever catches your interest, and then report back if you are genuinely not having fun if you are dying a lot.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

TraderStav posted:

What is it about the notion of priests and clerics being badasses of war that is just so awesome?

Probably going to reroll my first playthrough of BG1 already as I dumped INT without realizing I couldn't use ID scrolls. Also, can you resurrect NPCs in your party? A black bear ripped Imoen to shreds and I would hate to have lost her already had I continued with that save.

Looking forward to tonight. Going to be spending 12 hours in a parked car with my iPad on the car charger.
I dunno but it was enough that Clerics practically became the god-class in 3/3.5e! Although class is a little misleading here given that you can splash levels and such.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Bard is so good in IWD, don't worry he'll pay off. Sure he's boring to 'control' but the benefits he brings are incredible. The songs can sort of stack too, some people will bring two.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Suspicious posted:

You should be thankful. In P&P the haste spell ages you 1 year.
I remember carrying my characters in FRUA (man what a blast from the past) through so many modules and still adventuring with humans in their 60s. I have no idea if age death was a thing in that game but I thought it was hilarious that they maintained the aging thing.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

fong posted:

Am I the only one who found that SCS doesn't really change that much in my approach to mages? I guess it extends them by a round or so, but the only difference is having to cast Ruby Ray of Reversal first if they had used SI:Abjuration or Spell Trap, and Pierce Magic if they had Spell Turning. Otherwise its just the same - Breach and then bash them with weapons. I guess I'm of the opinion that this just adds tedium to fights.

What I like about the mod are the other AI enhancements that improve their targeting and responses to play buffs and such. I also really like the player scripts it adds, they go a long way to removing the tedium of buffing and healing your party after fights and its nice having a fighter script that will auto attack but won't randomly switch your target if you've told it to attack something.
This is really trivializing how a lot of the harder SCS mage fights actually go, and the mage fights are generally pretty varied. As formulaic as the general approaches to mages go, it generally doesn't end up like this in practice due to all sorts of stuff that can go wrong.

This is typically because the enemy mages will do a lot of poo poo against you in the 3 rounds it takes to debuff them (1st for removing invis, 2nd for SI, and the 3rd for breach). And then you will usually have to do it again when a contingency kicks in. And then usually the last contingency is just PfMW and you can simply swap to normal weapons at that point.

But during that time you will see at least one or two dispel magics thrown against you, and then CC or direct damage spells later in the game (why hello horrid wilting and dragon's breath!). Your mage can doing his best to debuff the mage, but what do you do when your mage gets dispelled during this (since enemy caster dispels are way stronger than yours, as their mage levels are hopelessly set high in SCS), and then starts getting their face smashed in by Balor demons that got gated in. Do you delay the debuffing process to put up your own spell protections again, etc.

Chain contingency of course, really starts to smash mages though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That's not true at all, have you actually played the mod??

I mean I get what you're saying, but you're oversimplifying the impact of the mod and the encounters it changes. Take the house with three Rakshasa, it's a pretty challenging fight even though you know the formulas.

Or the fight in the wizard's sphere against the necromancer and his two mage cronies who instantly gate in three demons and will then shadow door. The necro will even simalcrum on the hardest difficulties or whatever.

There's a bunch of these with various twists. In general the meta-magic duels are not about single mage vs mage fights, it's about entire parties that involve mages against you. The Circle fight, the Divine Fury party, etc.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 26, 2013

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That's a mod that brings him back, I believe.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Exotic Item Pack is probably the culprit.
This is the one that's guilty of screwing everyone's dialog.tlk up currently, it hasn't been updated for the latest patch to BG1/BG2 EE.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah I've had that happen a few times. It's even worse if you have SCS because some of them will be the Black Talon mercs. Pretty much just immediately jam the reload button.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

UberJumper posted:

Ugh, i am fed up with BGEE. I finally got to bereghost only to see that a lot of the NPC's just have "Invalid" for their text/conversations.

This is all i have for mods:

code:
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #60 // Weapon Animation Tweaks: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #70 // Icewind Dale Casting Graphics (Andyr): v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #140 // Fix Boo's Squeak: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1080 // Add Bags of Holding: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1100 // Reveal City Maps When Entering Area: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1120 // Stores Sell Higher Stacks of Items: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2090 // Change Experience Point Cap -> Remove Experience Cap: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2151 // Wear Multiple Protection Items -> No Restrictions: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2200 // Multi-Class Grandmastery (Weimer): v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2210 // True Grandmastery (Baldurdash): v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2240 // Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3000 // Higher HP on Level Up -> Maximum: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3060 // Remove "You Must Gather Your Party..." Sound (Weimer): v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4031 // Consistent Stats: Edwin -> Use BG2 Values: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4041 // Consistent Stats: Jaheira -> Use BG2 Values: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4061 // Consistent Stats: Minsc -> Use BG2 Values: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4071 // Consistent Stats: Viconia -> Use BG2 Values: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4110 // Give Kagain A Legal Constitution Score of 19: v14
Try removing bags of holding maybe.

They really need to update the tweak back already.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Hughlander posted:

Is there an easy way to remove one tweak without going through the whole thing again/
The best you can do is run the tweak installer and only hit Yes to the section that contains the tweak you want to remove. Carefully keep hitting [N]o change until you get to the tweak in question and then uninstall.

Weidu (the mod installer framework or whatever) will preserve your install order by reinstalling everything in the proper sequence once you make an actual change.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Was BG2:EE patched yet this year? Have they fixed the ToB quest arcs for the new characters?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

bathroom sounds posted:

It's been long enough since I played BG2 that I can't really remember the storyline, so now that I'm playing BG2EE I am a little confused.

Was I supposed to raise the 20,000gp so quickly? I have a bunch of unfinished quests (murders in Bridge District, Umar Hills, the feuding families in Trademeet, De'Arnise Keep) and I haven't done any of my stronghold quests yet. However, now that I have the gold, my dumbass roleplaying mentality says I should be proceeding with the storyline. I guess I shouldn't have gone to Trademeet so early. :(
Yeah it's comparatively low and there's even a part of BG2 tweak pack I believe that will raise the cost substantially if the 20k price tag infringes on your roleplaying.

Obviously the idea was that players could move onto the next chapter after doing as little or as much as they wanted, so the designers set the bar pretty low.

But yeah go spend it at the shops. There's a lot of good stuff in the shops to mess with, especially if you have the bonus content shops active (which you should by default, it's mods that 'delay' their arrival to help make the game a bit more challenging).

The shield of balduran really is good advice for a first time BG2 playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

GreatGreen posted:

So as somebody who is just learning the spell system of this game, would somebody mind explaining spell levels to me? Are 1st level spells inherently weaker than higher levels of spells, or are they just meant to be cast more often?

Also, dual classing sounds neat but it sounds like you have to pick an archetype per encounter with a dual classed guy, as you can't really wear armor when you cast. Are there any classes that can wear armor and wield large weapons while also being able to cast, like something close to a WoW Shaman?
It often is the case that damage spells are inherently stronger as you go up in levels. An exception to this is skull trap. It really helps to look at the damage dice and level multipliers when viewing spells. AC buffing spells fall in a similar boat, and spell removal to an extent as well (although you don't have to toy with this much in an unmodded BG game).

Spell descriptions are usually quite literal too. If it says a spell hits enemies, it will thus not cause friendly fire. If it hits everything, then be prepared for friendly fire.

Everything else pretty much only differs in utility value between spell levels. Like Sleep is super powerful for its spell level, but if you read its description you will see its effectiveness is restricted by hit dice (hp levels basically), so its utility goes down the chute as you progress further in the game. You get slightly different versions of sleep later in the game, but crowd control spells will generally operate the same.

The spell system can be kind of a nuisance to get behind but it really amounts to just reading the spell descriptions. If you don't want to bother, then a walking artillery platform is sufficient and can't really go wrong. It's just not always the most useful.