Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

How hard is it to play an evil party in Baldur's Gate 1 and 2? I'd like to try out some different party members but I've always been a SHINING WHITE KNIGHT when I play those game. Perhaps a selfish rear end in a top hat gnome would be a good change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Do I have to periodically murder somebody to keep my reputation low or just not be the goody goody nice guy in dialogue?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

This whole "Lawful Evil" character thing has been an interesting exercise just trying to get into that headspace. What's my motivation for doing evil acts? I'm not tying women to railroad ties or anything. Basically I'm obsessed with the accumulation of power, but I respect my allies if they work for me (not "with" me).

Party comp will eventually be:
Me (Fighter)
Montaron
Xzar
Viconia
Dorn
Garrick

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

sebzilla posted:

...why Garrick?

I'd like a bard in the party. Then again there's that other bard I can get I think.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I feel like I need to have a bard in my party for ~*class fantasy*~. Plus they have fast progression which increases the effect of lower level arcane spells if cast.

I have no clue what my party will be in BG2.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Guess I'll swap to Eldoth once I get to the area where he's recruitable. In general my comp is Fighter, Fighter, Cleric, Mage, Thief, Utility. Swap one fighter with Paladin or Ranger as the mood strikes.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

So drop Xzar and Montaron and pick up Edwin plus some evil thief? I'm not too terribly concerned about min maxing or anything so long as the party is evil.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah I figured I'd be good to go with whoever. I'm playing on Enhanced Edition normal difficulty instead of AD&D rules so it makes things a bit easier than the vanilla game. Thanks for the input fellas.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I forgot how stupid low level AD&D combat was, but now I'm smooth sailing after the Nashkel Mines. Bard was a terrible idea so I got another character that's actually useful.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I just feel like you're not given the tools to handle a lot of the lower level encounters. Once you hit around level 4 things really start taking off. If you let a caster get off something like fear or confuse, it basically fucks the whole party up.

It could just be that I'm not good at the game, but it's not really fun when a kobold one shots a caster in the back row with a regular bow and arrow.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

In the grand scheme of things, how do druids compare versus clerics in BG1 and 2? Sorry to keep bringing this up but I was hot garbage at the game back in the day and all this mechanical stuff is very interesting to me now.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What's the deal with the level 13 requirement? Don't druids become the leader of the circle at 14 or something?

My problem is that I like playing around with classes too much and don't actually progress through the story. Sword and board warrior is actually fun though. I'm murdering things with Mace mastery and I have like -5 AC at level 6.

In other news I'm realizing the value of spell piercing and potions now that I've faced Davaeorn again. That guy is a super dick with Dimension Door.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I used spell thrust a couple of times on him and that really helped to soften him up. Coran and Kivan kept him interrupted and I tried keeping my crew spread out so fireball wouldn't gib my casters. Chant and bless were good buffs for the saving throw bonuses.

I kind of hate prebuffing on some encounters, but it's better than turning the difficulty down.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Alora is so :3: and Marek dropped both a +2 shortbow AND dagger for her whenever I did the Lothander and Marek quest. The only thing that doesn't make sense is why she has Two Weapon specialization with only 8 strength. Really good thief though.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

GorfZaplen posted:

NWN2 is the only game where I've had rubber banding happen to me in single player

I remember the behind the back camera angle being pretty bad about this.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I keep forgetting that find traps occurs only every 6 seconds or so and keep getting Alora exploded in Durlag's Tower.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Those stinking cloud/cloudkill doppelgangers are assholes too.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Okay this chess board has got to be the dumbest goddamn gimmick I've ever seen in a game.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah I just figured out the fireball bit. I laughed pretty hard when my entire group got Chaos'd across the map.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yep I just had Neera use a want of fire a few times and that killed all the guys. They never actually aggro'd me so it worked out.

In retrospect Durlag's Tower was a pretty good dungeon. All the fights felt fair, but challenging, except for the Chess encounter, which I cheesed.

Now I'm loving around with trying to kill the demon that comes out of the dagger in Ulgoth's Beard.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Seems like I need to kill the guys he's using for vessels before I actually kill him. If that's actually what's happening though... It seems like he popped into one of the acolytes once I burned through him the first time around.

Edit: Protection from Evil sounds like it would work too. I have Ajantis so I could theoretically cast that on my party prior to the encounter.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

So what's the deal with the Imoen romance mod from the OP? Just cringe worthy?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Skwirl posted:

Rape and incest.

:smith:

Edit: I had forgot that the PC and Imoen were adopted and were raised as brother and sister. Good lord the amount of people out there defending this poo poo...

Vargatron fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 9, 2017

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Isn't the reveal that you are brother and sister in the second game? I mean I'm not defending it at all.

In other news I'm about to power through the rest of BG1 in the next couple of nights and start at BG2. Icewind Dale is also tempting me greatly.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ah well in other news I killed Aec'Letec pretty handily with the suggestions from the thread, so onto Candlekeep to keep this story going.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Just so I make sure, I've done Durlag's Tower, Aec'Letec and the ice island area for Tales of the Sword Coast. Is there anything else I should do prior to finishing the main quest or is that it?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Mzbundifund posted:

Make a big save before you go, the end of werewolf island has had some scripting bug out on me that rendered the game unwinnable until I edited my save file.

Thanks brother. I'm going to be hitting that up tonight. Probably got about 10 hours total before the end of BG1 the it's off to the races.

Actually I may just make it a point to play through the DND games this summer with all the different rule sets.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Iron Rose posted:

Quick question : my girlfriend is playing bgee having never played the original abs despite modding the hell out of these games ages ago I cannot for the life of me recall whether or not you need the BGII fix pack for bg1ee. I know the tweak pack works just fine however.

Also any basic tips for her? The beforeiplay wiki is super sparse.

Keep a wand of magic missiles handy to interrupt casters. Also, make sure she has the basic party structure of warrior, healer, mage, thief with the other two slots being wildcards. Having two ranged archers is really effective in most of the fights.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Wildtortilla posted:

There used to be a Pillars of Eternity thread but I can't find it so I'm asking here. I'm wondering what's the best time to do White Marches Pt 2? My path so far had been Act 1, most of Act 2 and several levels of the big dungeon in my keep, Wgute Marches Pt 1, finish Act 2, and begin Act 3. When I entered Act 3 I opted to scale up enemies.

There's a thread link but basically you go until you get stuck, then come back to the expansion areas at a higher level. Kind of like doing the Paths of Od Nua.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Am I in the minority of players who doesn't use AI scripting at all in these games? Every time I tried to turn on AI my part would do something stupid and I would rather be the idiot mastermind than allowing my thief to start attacking an enemy from across the map.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

the BG2EE AI was pretty good if you only wanted basic stuff like mage stoneskin and fighters not picking their nose after every kill and thief traps
I tried making an IWDEE bard party and the AI didn't work great at all. Singing kinda sorta sometimes worked then would stop working for no reason. So then I just rerolled without a bard :downs:

meanwhile I've been playing FF12 HD and the gambit system really has me spoiled, i'm imagining what BG2 would be like if you could set a bunch of conditional "if CHARNAME: hp < 50% -> heal" and it sounds pretty rad tbh

I imagine that if you knew LUA well enough you could create your own custom scripts for AI.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok, progressing through Baldur's Gate 1. Decide to do Durlag's Tower and fight Aeg'Letec

Was there any point to struggling through that bullshit battle other than the XP I got for killing him? There was no loot and I didn't even get anything for finishing the quest line.

Durlag's Tower is okay, but the other fight you're talking about is dumb and bullshit, but you can game the system to make it work. Buy Potions of Shimmering Eyes and Arrows of Dispelling to handle one of the fight mechanics that's really dumb.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Could you make a dagger based ambush thief or something to that effect? Maybe multiclassing with fighter? Or do the kits cover that?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I always found crushing weapons to be better than edged weapons since a lot of enemies, like skeletons, have high damage reduction against edged weapons.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Also, BG tends to punish you severely for having an evil party. You still have to do the occasional good thing or donate to a church or else the Flaming Fist spawns and you have to kill them.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I know I'm in the vast minority but I cannot stand Minsc and I'm doing whatever I can to get him out of my party ASAP in BG2.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What's up with BG2 and all the multiclass NPCs that you can recruit? I guess it makes it easier for party management but drat do I really need a Fighter/Druid, Mage/Cleric and Fighter/Cleric in my group?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

If you really wanted to be a trans individual there's a belt you can get in the beginning of BG1 that reverses your gender.

Also we use elves, dwarves, halfings, etc as allegories for racism and discrimination but a trans character is a bridge too far and political? You could also, I don't know, just not let one ancillary character bother you.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

docbeard posted:

I haven't actually played Siege yet, but isn't it literally like 2 or 3 lines in an optional conversation on an NPC you might not even need to talk to?

Yes, that is correct. The line is basically "I was born a man, but I felt more comfortable as a woman".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It is kind of affecting my immersion when I use my real first name for a player character instead of something more fantasy based.

:qq:MY IMMERSION:qq: