Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Now I'm super confused as to why I thought she was a Drow. I know that claim was made repeatedly. ...I think?

Viconia is Drow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

MrTheDevious posted:

Is the BG2EE combat log busted or something? I just started really paying attention to it and something's hosed up somewhere in regards to offensive magic. Example: Edwin's level 12 currently, just cast a fireball in the middle of a fight against a pack of monsters and this is what I got

Edwin did 7 damage to Mutated Gibberling
5 dmg
7 dmg
6dmg
8 dmg
5 dmg
4 dmg

and hit my party for the same. I've tried it 5 or so times now and at no point does a fireball which should be 10d6 at this point do more than 9 damage, regardless of saving throw. It shouldn't even be possible for the goddamn fireball to do less than 10 on a failed save :psyduck:

Fireball does 5 damage on a failed save. The combat engine rolls for the guaranteed damage for a failed save, then rolls the save. If the save fails, another roll is made for the other "half" of the damage. All rolls are independent however. The real question is how a 10d6 fireball can roll a 4 for "half" the damage when the minimum is 10.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Factor_VIII posted:

The reason I haven't really used Mazzy is her weapon proficiencies. Shortswords seem like an odd choice for a fighter. And at the level you get her, starting to put points on a different weapon seems quite inefficient.

If you want Mazzy early there is no reason you can't get her right at the beginning. Just stop at the Umar Hills and then go straight to the Temple Ruins.

Not sure if they fixed this for BG2EE, but the level 9 version of her gets a bonus proficiency (she should have 7 pips at level 9 but has 8). If you want to customize her get her at level 8 and start assigning proficiencies to whatever you want. She'll be specialized by level 12 and you can use bows until then. She gets 5 APR with Tuigan.

Mazzy's sword is also a much better weapon than is commonly believed, since contrary to the item description it applies all of the Slow debuffs (half move, reduce to 1 APR, double casting time) and not just -2 move. This makes it a mini-Flail of the Ages because even though it has a save most enemies will fail it after a few hits.

You can pick up Short Sword of the Mask at the beginning of the game too, which is as good or better than most of the other early game weapons. With that you are set through the rest of the game, although by ToB you will be able to master several other weapons too.

And she has some of the best banters.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

TjyvTompa posted:

I noticed Aerie seems to be unable to learn level 9 spells, can I fix this with EEKeeper somehow?

Give her a potion of Genius if you don't want to stat cheat.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008
Another powergaming aspect to Druids that people miss is that High Level abilities start accruing for all classes at 3 million XP, rather than at a particular level. And Druids have the fastest initial level progression after 3 million xp of any class by a wide margin. The first 7 levels (and thus the first 7 HLAs) accrue in just 900k xp for druids. Most other classes get only 4 levels during that stretch. An since Druids jump to 6 spells per day for all levels including spell level 7 at level 15 they get more use out of their HLA spells than any other class.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

On the other hand, Druids don't care about HLAs after the first two. :shobon:

Are you serious? That's not even slightly true.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

It is incredibly true. Aside from Greater Elemental Summoning, there isn't a whole lot to write home about on the Druid HLA list.

You mean that are specific to Druids? Sure, the Greater Elemental Transformations are not too great, especially for multi or dual classes, but they are a solid melee upgrade for single class and they can be taken multiple times unlike the spells so you have something to select after you have filled up on the other choices.

However, they also get all of the HLA spells on the cleric list, and most of these are quite good. And because they have 6 7th level spell slots instead of 2 or 3 they can get more mileage from them than a Cleric can.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

I struggle to think of any that are worth the opportunity cost of simply memorizing more Greater Elemental Summoning.

Since you can only have one Elemental Prince at a time, it can be pretty useful to have a Deva to back him up. Implosion is also useful since it holds enemies without a save and does very decent damage. If you are a F/D and you're going to do melee, Globe of Blades and Aura of Flaming Death can do a lot of damage.

quote:

As for single class Druids...I can't think of a compelling reason to ever play a single class Druid.

Challenge, mainly, or for the kits. Avenger Druid is very cool and fun to play. But even Fighter->Druid Dual class and multis can benefit from the Elemental Transformations, since it gives you +10 Thac0 or so if you get it early and the Fists count as +4 weapons. You will likely lose attacks (unless single class) but you will hit more and do more damage.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Rascyc posted:

I wouldn't even bother. Do a Fighter/Thief multi if you want to play that type of character, so you can pull from both HLA lists, and have all the good thief skills on one character.

As it is if you dual from Swash to Fighter you're basically just gaining 2 AC and 2 Damage per hit over playing a vanilla fighter. Your level 11 swashbuckler required 220,000 experience, so your fighter will need to accumulate 1,000,000 experience to regain your swashbuckler perks. Which is doable but it's going to be annoying if it's your first time through the game (don't dual on your first play through is what most people suggest).

If you stay as Swash you'll keep gaining more bonus damage per hit which actually adds up, and you would be well advised to crank your AC up as high as possible while wearing Jan's adventure wear or something in ToB once you have the Use Any Item HLA, for the resistances to make up for a lack of hardiness HLAs.

You're only going to lose out on 1 APR I believe by staying swash, as I believe specilization and grandmastery do not apply to swashbucklers, and I think some thac0 and obviously some HP.

The correct way to do this is Kensai -> Thief. Gets every bonus that the Swash -> Fighter gets and more.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Mickey McKey posted:

I will have to look into Negative Plane Protection and Chaotic Commands, then. Dispel does nothing...I have tried having three of my casters cast dispel on one of the Contingency: Protection From All and literally nothing changes.

I am running with:
Me: Pure Fighter, Human, -8 AC, Two-Handed Sword, nothing else special.
Anomen (Cleric)
Aerie (Cleric/Mage multidclass)
Nalia (Mage)
Yoshimo
(eventually) Imoen (Mage)

I knew that spellcasters were supreme and planned my party around that (I know there are better spellcasters but I was going good and I hate dealing with NPC conflicts) which is why I made myself a good fighter, because I think it is harder to find good fighters compared to good mages (my opinion, probably wrong).

One of the problems with Dispel Magic is that it had a percentage chance for success modified by the difference between the caster's level and the level of the caster of the magic to be dispelled. Most of the mages in BG2 will have a higher level than the PC's party when encountered, so dispel magic cannot be relied upon in most situations.

If you are going with a good-aligned party, have you considered using Keldorn? His innate class abilities include an instant casting speed Dispel that casts at 2x his level, which means that it will work against 90% of the mages in BG2 right from the start, and possibly 100% of them if you keep him leveled with your party.

Another thing to note is that you seem to be having problems with combat protections. Luckily there is a spell tailor-made to take those out: Breach. Find more info here. Breach will dispel all combat and specific protections regardless of level (including all of the protections you mentioned in your first example). Spell Protections do not protect against it. They only way enemy mages can stop you from using Breach on them is to be invisible, and invisibility can be brought down with True Seeing (Level 6 Mage Spell and Level 5 Priest Spell).

So in vanilla BG2EE, enemy mage tactics are:

1. Be protected from disabling spells.
2. Cast True Seeing.
3. Cast Breach.
4. Hit them with a big stick.

edit: beaten on Keldorn.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

bunnielab posted:

Ok, new problem, I need a way to halt or remove the NCP timers in BGEE2. I have Dorn, Korgan, Hexxat, and Edwin so far. I am in the Graveyard district doing Korgans's quest and now all the rest of them are constantly bugging me to do their quests. I am only like 6 days in game time so I don't know what the gently caress.

None of the quests are on a timer that can expire, so all that's going to happen is that they will complain until you complete their quest or drop them from your party.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

I could have sworn Korgan will eventually ditch you, but maybe I'm wrong.

You could be right about that one, I forget.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

VisAbsoluta posted:

When should I dual class with a Ranger/Cleric and which one should I start as?

They are all fun for different reasons.

R/C Multi is the easiest. No frills powergaming. Have fun in the late game with your Greater Whirlwinds/Globe of Blades and your Hardiness/Armor of Faith combos.

Duals have some interesting effects but generally require long waits as a vanilla cleric for the latent Ranger class to kick in. There is good reason to believe that the easiest dual is unkitted Ranger->Cleric at 9:

Beastmaster->Cleric should dual at 13, requiring a total of 2.85 mill XP meaning don't expect to have fun with this in SoA unless solo. Can only be proficient in Clubs, Staves, and Slings and gets in return insane access to Animal Summoning 1, 2, and 3 (and Find Familiar). Neat, but not worth it.

Stalker->Cleric should dual at 13 also, gaining x3 backstabs and Haste, Minor Spell Deflection, and Pro Normal Missiles as 3rd level priest spells (ie virtually unlimited). As mentioned previously this is like a Fighter/Thief/Druid/Cleric multiclass with a few mage spells thrown in. Very flexible.

Archer->Cleric can dual at 9 or 13. **Not for the faint of heart** Say goodbye to grandmastery in bows and hello to regular specialization in slings! Why? You can use Called Shot to inflict huge save vs. spell penalties on tough opponents before hitting them with trash save or else spells like Poison and Slay Living. You can give these penalties an area of effect by appying them to Fire Seeds. You can Strength Drain people with Energy Blades. Throw history's deadliest Magical Stone spell. Whee!

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 26, 2013

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

I'm almost done with a BG2 (starting ToB soon) playthrough with a 13 Stalker -> Cleric and frankly I don't recommend it. All that versatility (every divine spell plus a couple mage spells, melee blender, stealth and x3 backstab) sounds great on paper. However, the backstab isn't that useful in BG2 and any actually challenging enemy will be immune to backstabs. Remember that strength damage bonuses don't apply to backstabs and your multiplier tops out at x3, so the damage will feel very underwhelming once you regain access to your Ranger levels.

Really the biggest disadvantages are that you're dualling at level 13 and will spend much of SoA with your Ranger levels inactive which is kind of a pain in the dick, plus you miss out on warrior HLAs. Hardiness and Improved Whirlwind are about a billion times more useful than your x3 backstabs, which is the main reason you'd pick a Stalker.

amanasleep's Archer/Cleric build sounds interesting, though. I'd never thought about trying to exploit the Called shot save penalty.

Edit: is strength adding damage to slings a new thing in EE? I'm pretty sure it didn't add any bonus damage in vanilla BG.

Archer->Cleric is only interesting as an exploit demonstrator/Gimmick Solo build (giving a Solo Divine caster a way to cast spells at high save opponents is pretty useful). Fire Seeds get bonus Warrior attacks, so you can use them like Greater Malison on groups of tougher enemies before casting Greater Command, Symbol: Stun, or Nature's Beauty. A regular archer with a party can do much more ridiculous stuff with Called Shot more often and more consistently, though.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

About R/C's... I've never played one but always liked the idea because I like having access to all of the priestly spells, and I normally play with one cleric in my party and one druid. The problem with that approach is that 1) Single-class druids are shite in the (unmodded) BG games and 2) The only other option, Jaheira, gets tiresome at times.

People talk about getting all of the druid/cleric spells in one character, but how does the game calculate spell slots when the R/C gets to a higher level? For example, say that the PC is a level 13/14 ranger/cleric late on in Shadows of Amn. If Rangers get, say, 3 1st level spells at that level and clerics get 6, plus the PC has 19 wisdom with a little help from tomes and gets the 3 bonus first level spells, does all of that add up to give the R/C 12 1st-level spells lots, or do the cleric ones overwrite the ranger ones and he gets 9 (6 cleric + 3 bonus)?

R/C is the only class multiclass combination I can think of where you earn the same kind of spells (arcane/divine) from two classes simultaneously, so I'm interested in how that works.

R/C just uses the Cleric spell level progression and ignores the Ranger class progression.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

How viable are swashbucklers for BGT? I kinda like the idea of a hooded halfling duelist who uses long swords (and early on, slings) but I dunno if I'm just gimping myself that way.

I was playing another melee fighter type but I found it kinda boring so I'm hoping maybe swashbuckler will give me a thief that can stay in the game? I dunno, is this a bad idea?

Any class can beat the game. Swashbucklers are not as good as a true F/T but they are still good. At high level they get a natural Thac0 of 2 and great damage. Their AC is also really great. Early game they are solid in combat.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

2e. Fighters have d10 hit dice, druids and clerics get d8 (I think druids went d6 in 3E?), thieves and bards get d6, and mages / sorcerers get d4. Non-fighters top out at +2 con bonus per level and multiclasses get half their hit dice plus con bonus. So Jaheira gets... 8 HP per fighter level? and 6 per druid level. Whereas you'll get 9 per fighter level (if you've got 18) and 4 per mage level. So with each dual level, Jaheira gets 14 HP and you get 13, because mages are glass cannons.

At least I think that's how it works. It's probably more arcane than that, even.

Close. Multiclasses in 2e get a fraction of their HP on level up from each class, and then add the most advantageous CON bonus they qualify for. In Jaheira's case, she gets 10/2 = 5 HP from Fighter, 8/2 = 4 HP from Druid, and +3 HP from her 17 CON (because she is part Fighter) for a total of 12 HP per level. A Fighter/Mage Multi gets only 2 HP from the Mage class and 5 from the Fighter for 7 HP (plus CON) per level.

So Jaheira's HP is correct for F2/D2. However, a F2/M2 with 18 CON should have 22 HP so I'm not certain what the problem is. Are you using Core rules for your level ups?

edit: Another possibility is that your character has achieved Level 2 in Fighter but not yet in Mage. In that case you would have 11 HP for Level 1 and +5 HP for leveling up in Fighter. When you get 2nd Level in Mage then you will get +2 HP and the CON bonus.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 5, 2014

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

verybad posted:

I thought of something today, regarding BG2, and that thought left me very sad. There are so many mods for the game, yet the one thing I've always wanted, expanded dual/multi-class options is never going to happen. I just want to try out a stalker-bard dual class...

... or, as it's known by it's true name, the Fighter/Mage/Thief that gains levels according to the Rogue EXP table. :unsmigghh:

Not understanding how x3 backstab makes a bard so much better. Otherwise all that gets added is HP.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

verybad posted:

Warrior APR and THAC0, free dual wielding, stealth. With mislead and improved haste running, you've got 10 APR, x3 damage, +4 dmg/hit from enhanced bard song. Dualing at ranger 13 would be completely viable even with a party since bards enjoy such a fast level progression.

But Bards don't get the Assassination HLA, so the x3 backstab is mostly meaningless. Aside from that and extra early proficiencies and HP, there isn't much that this gets you that a Blade or F/M/T doesn't already get. Both of those can get the same APR and Thac0 as your combo (because Dual classing at 13 only gets you 8 Thac0 max vs. Blade max Thac0 8 with Offensive Spin or F/M/T max of Thac0 zero).

My dream illegal dual class is Assassin -> Druid.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

verybad posted:

Bards get Mislead, x3 backstabs with Mislead and fighter APR are far from meaningless. Yeah, it's not that much different from an F/M/T, except that you would level up a poo poo ton faster and you get to pick all your HLAs from the Thief/Bard pool. Offensive Spin got nerfed in EE (though you can still reach 9 APR if you dual wield speed weapons and wear the gauntlets I think) and F/M/T max fighter level is 18 (Base 3 THAC0), which it reaches at 7.5 million exp. For comparison, bards get two level 6 spells at level 18, so you could start doing the Mislead/IH combo around ~3.2 million exp. You're right though, in that it would play a lot like an F/M/T, but it's still something I would like to try. I kind of sort of really like it not just for the mechanics, though, but for RP reasons too.

Why assassin -> druid, though? Stealthy shapeshifting bear with poison attack?

Poisoned Fire Seeds.

Edit: All of your fast level advantage with Stalker -> Bard would be after reaching ~3 million xp, because before then the F/M/T is straight up superior in every meaningful way. At the start of BG2 FMT has all abilities instead of just being a vanilla Stalker. at 1.5 Million XP the Stalker has +3 Thac0, some HP and proficiencies, and +1/2 attack on the FMT but then throws away the attacks to do low level Bard stuff for the next 880k XP. By the time abilities come back at 2.38 Million the FMT just got Level 6 spells. S -> B will get 2 of them for a brief period before the FMT (and Skeleton Warriors earlier too, probably a better advantage), but will be really behind after that because at 3 million XP the FMT gets HLA broken combos. S-> B doesn't get the first HLA until 4.5 million XP.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 8, 2014

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Mickey McKey posted:

This is my big gripe with the BG games compared to Icewind Dale 2. I played IWD2 as recently as 2 years ago, unmodded and unpatched, and it was challenging in a fun way. I just bought the BGEE games and they are loving infuriating. In IWD2 hostile spellcasters do not come with chain-contingency defensive spells (protection from missiles, protection from weapons, stoneskin, blur, mirror image, shield, spellwards) upon the start of every fight (which is especially infuriating when your party doesnt even have casters that can cast spells of Contingency, Maze, or Imprisonment's level). Additionally, around every corner there is some monster/creature/hostile that has an at-hit -without a saving throw- level draining, disease causing, or ability score draining ability. IWD2 finds an awesome balance of making you figure out what the threat is (the spellcasters, ranged weapons, or melee fighters) and dealing with it. Usually without dealing with permanent dibilitating effects from special enemies. And if you chose wrong and/or get unlucky? You will not have levels drained or 3 dead characters; you may be out a bunch of potions or all of your healing spells, but the game doesnt gently caress you. I had to post in this thread repeatedly to get advice on how to cope with some of the more advanced things that BG2EE throws at you because spell descriptions did not clue me in that there are easy/simple ways of dealing with chain protection spells. But even if I Breach the chain-protected guys? Then Simelicrum and Shadow Door fire off automatically and you have to stab the simelicrum and wait for Shadow Door to wear off (because them being partially invisible makes them immune to targeting spells). You never have to deal with that bullcrap in IWD2. I never had to read FAQ or do research to enjoy and be successful at IWD2 but BG2EE has been a loving nightmare of reloading a dozen times or spending half an hour reading spell descriptions trying to figure out what I need to cast to deal with some stupid mage.

Holy poo poo that turned into a rant :stare:.

Speaking of Icewind, I assume there were patches and bugfixes for it, does anyone know where I could find a proper/official one of those? Going to play it again once I finish grinding through ToB.

In vanilla BG2EE the only spells you need to deal with enemy wizards are Breach and True Sight.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

Contingency is good, but it doesn't have much potential for abuse. Chain contingency on the other hand...

-3 horrid wiltings on the first enemy sighted
-3 incendiary clouds on the first enemy sighted
-3 mordekainens swords on the first enemy sighted
-3 summon fiends on, well, you get the idea.
-project image/simulacrum/mislead on self
-improved haste/tenser's transformation/simulacrum cast on self when low on health

Cleric/mages have even more possibilities.

There are some spells that stacked unintentionally in the original game, including project image and regeneration. That's been patched out in the enhanced edition and the unofficial patches.

The best cheese uses for Contingency involve adding spell produced melee weapons to Polymorph forms. So you can Contingency -> Phantom Blade while polymorphed as a Sword Spider for 5 APR with a +3 magic weapon.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

fralbjabar posted:

Think I just hit an odd bug in Throne of Bhaal, playing a kensai/mage I just hit mage level 18, got my first 9th level spell slot and my first HLA. After leveling I seem to have lost my kensai bonuses to AC as my AC has suddenly dropped from -7 to -5. I also noticed when I leveled I got another weapon proficiency pip, but the game let me put it onto anything that I could as a kensai (and also put more than one on a weapon now) which I thought was odd. I googled around but couldn't find anything about this happening to anyone else, and my thac0 still seems to be right, I still have the same number of attacks and I still have the kai ability. Is there anywhere that the class bonuses I'm receiving should be listed, or can I check that with shadowkeeper or something? Anyone heard of this happening before?

This is regular throne of bhaal with only the fixpack and widescreen mods installed, not EE.

You should have been able to put multiple pips on weapons as soon as you got your Kensai levels back the first time. Not sure about the AC bonus. I would take all your armor and items off to see if the base AC still checks out. Worst case scenario you can add it back in with Shadowkeeper.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Nuclear War posted:

Can anyone help me with a rough guide to starting spells and picking spells going forward from BG2 and on? I tried but you get so few and i get scared of picking something wrong. I'll be bringing a party of neutral/good npc's i think.

Edit: as a sorcerer, duh

Initial picks

Level 1: Blindness, Magic Missile, Chromatic Orb, Shield, Spook
Level 2: Mirror Image, Glitterdust, Web
Level 3: Melf's Minute Meteors, Haste, Skull Trap

Level ups

S8: Stoneskins(4)
S9: Invisibility(2), Slow(3), Spider Spawn(4)
S10: Breach(5)
S11: Melf's Acid Arrow(2), Flame Arrow(3), Teleport Field(4), Lower Resistance(5)
S12: Improved Haste(6)
S13: Greater Malison(4), Chaos(5), Summon Nishruu(6)
S14: Spell Sequencer(7)
S15: Animate Dead(5), Mislead(6), Limited Wish(7)
S16: Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting(8)
S17: Project Image(7), Spell Trigger(8)
S18: Summon Planetar(HLA)

This should get you through SoA. Of course, these are just my opinion and YMMV. These picks are rock solid and work well with a party, giving you a balance of offence and defense without worrying about anything too complicated.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

So as somebody who is just learning the spell system of this game, would somebody mind explaining spell levels to me? Are 1st level spells inherently weaker than higher levels of spells, or are they just meant to be cast more often?

Also, dual classing sounds neat but it sounds like you have to pick an archetype per encounter with a dual classed guy, as you can't really wear armor when you cast. Are there any classes that can wear armor and wield large weapons while also being able to cast, like something close to a WoW Shaman?

Cleric, Fighter/Cleric, Fighter/Druid, Ranger/Cleric. You can also play as a Fighter/Mage and wear certain armors (specifically Elven Chain Mail, which you can get pretty early).

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

Cool, thanks. Sorry I wasn't being clear, I meant to ask if you could be something more like an Enhancement or Elementalist Shaman, who blends melee and lightning/storm offenses and defenses, not a Restoration Shaman. Something closer to a Thane, really.

I'm not too sure about the extent of the game's spells but if there are a significant amount of "storm" themed spells then I'm guessing it could probably be possible to do this with a fighter/mage dual class.

If you want to fight in Melee and get lots of storm theme spells, go with Fighter/Druid or Cleric/Ranger.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

gender illusionist posted:

I'd do the latter (or fighter/cleric if you've used the fixpack to allow grand mastery for multiclass) for the cool Storm of Vengeance

Both of them get that as a Quest spell pick.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Draile posted:

I'd choose a fighter/cleric over a fighter/druid, even though it means giving up iron skins, because of the excruciating druid xp barrier at levels 13-14. You won't get over that hump until you have three million druid xp which is six million character xp.

Simple answer is to play Berzerker -> Druid instead.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

a medical mystery posted:

When using Yoshimo take advantage of his traps, being a Bounty Hunter they're very strong.

Yoshimo owns. BH is a very strong single class.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Factor_VIII posted:

I wouldn't really call the ability to pickpocket a second copy of an item part of the game mechanics. I view it as simply as exploiting a bug.

Personally I rather like that script. With ctrl-8, I'd might get too greedy with my stats. With that script you can normally get a high set of stats within minutes. No need to leave it running for hours.

I just do runs with a certain point buy and SK in the stats.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Suspicious posted:

I'm aware of the 75 point minimum, but I thought the game *didn't* account for minimums when distributing the stats, thus skewing the total higher for characters with high minimum stat requirements.

I swear when I'm creating something like an elf ranger, I have no trouble getting totals of 88+ after a minute or two of rerolling whereas say for a human fighter my chances of getting the same are so low I don't even bother rolling anymore and just cheat.

I don't recall the method that the game uses, but I'm pretty certain this is correct. Higher minimums = Higher average rolls.

Personally after all these years I don't see much problem just setting a point buy amount and sticking to it. Sometimes I pick stats to RP and sometimes to powergame, then I SK the stats. If you plan to reroll until you get the stats you want anyway it seems silly in a SP game to try and do it "fairly". Spending hours rerolling stats is almost literally the devil so I refuse to do it.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Purifier is basically one-handed Carsomyr. :v: Agreed on Ixil's Spike, though, it owns hugely and the pin damage will destroy every caster. Too bad about it being a spear, which is worthless
Anyway, mod update. I wanted to get all of this in v5 but I didn't really have the time and concentrated on the stuff that could make it into Vorgen's LP!

Does Purifier Dispel on hit?

What's wrong with spears? There is a pretty good path for them in BG2. Spear of the Unicorn is a solid solo item, and once you get Impaler it's off to the races. Ixil's Spike is probably the most powerful offensive weapon you can have at the very start of ToB.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

well no but
You need to get through WK/Underdark to get any spear better than +3, at which point you're mostly done with the game. So you either go with lovely weapons you can't hurt lots of enemies with, or you get the strongest weapon (Ixil's) at the start and then there's no progression :geno: There still aren't as bad as bastard swords, where all of the good swords are tuckered in the Underdark or Watcher's Keep.

Do you really need any spear better than +3 before WK/UD? The biggest problem with spears is Chapter 2 and 3, where you basically only can get +2 or +3 vanilla 2-H weapons, which is not optimal for most builds. Very good second weapon for a Paladin or Barbarian 2-H build (Start with 2-H Swords, Joril's Dagger and Lilarcor, then switch to Spears in Chapter 4 and either don't look back or switch to Carsomyr, Silver Sword, or Gram as necessary). Spears are great for a solo single class Druid.

Purifier and Carsomyr do not fill the same role at all. Carsomyr is useful mostly for its Dispel on hit ability, which is key to many fights. The MR is useful but not essential and the damage is OK. Purifier is typically best as an off-hand MR booster and is otherwise not very interesting in WK/ToB. It's also pretty hard to justify Purifier over Foebane.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Factor_VIII posted:

A second weapon does have the advantage that it can be used to give you good passive abilities (e.g. the strength from Crom Fayer or the damage resistance of Defender of Easthaven). The extra attack probably doesn't matter so much I think. Once a character starts getting High Level Abilities though, the Improved Wirlwind Attack helps make up for the lower number of attacks. And 2-handed weapons are effectively twice as likely to crit since the 2-handed weapon proficiency lets you crit on a 19.

The most important passive ability from dual wielding is the +1 APR you get from Belm or Kundane. With these weapons off-hand dual wielding is definitely superior in the early game, particularly combined with weapons that have powerful on hit effects, like Flail of the Ages and Celestial Fury.

Two handed weapons are very useful though, especially for solo players, because they actually have increased range over most one handed weapons, which means that if you have superior move speed and weapon speed you can use them to move and strike melee enemies without risking retaliation.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 4, 2014

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Corvinus posted:

If Single and Two-Handed weapon styles gave additional 1/2 or 1 APR it would practically eliminate dual wield domination. I think it's moddable with the BG2:EE 1.2 patch, and some vanilla mods like ItemRevision nerf Belm/Kuldane down to 1/2 APR.

DW is +2 APR with Imp. Haste, or +4 APR if using an APR offhand. Imp. Haste also lets a fighter use the Critical Strike HLA for 10 APR 100% hit/crit, which is better than a GWW 2-hander except against things immune to +2 weapons (it's still possible to get 9 APR without an APR offhand in ToB).

There are only a few 2H weapons that are worth it at top level (usually because of powerful on-hit effects): Ravager, Carsomyr, Ixil, Gram, Silver Sword and Soul Reaver (occasionally). With GWW, these weapons are very comparable to dual wielding setups and in many cases even superior.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

jneer posted:

On 2handers vs 1handers, a lot of you are forgetting the existence of Keldorn who, as an inquisitor, is basically the best vehicle for Carsomyr in BG2.

After that, the discussion is really what the second(and possibly third) best weapons are for your PC.

I think a lot of this discussion centers around how to optimize solo builds. In a party, you can basically carry all of the good weapons in the game.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

If we're talking solo builds you can't really beat Staff of the Magi.

Unless you want to do melee damage or are playing a class that can't use it.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Off the top of my head, the really powerful items that are limited to the end of the game are Crom Faeyr, Blackrazor (REALLY the end of the game in this case) and The Silver Sword.

Silver Sword is really amazing in everything except the toughest ToB fights. Has about a 10% chance to kill on any hit even against really tough enemies, which is just as good as Axe of Unyielding or Ravager later on. But it is vastly more effective than either of those for when you get it.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

always be closing posted:

About to play my first ever baldurs gate campaign. I have EE, I want to play as a gnome weilding a massive quarterstaff and a sling. What's the best class for that and what should I set my starting stats to? Id also like to know what to max firsr strength or dex?

Thief/Mage is pretty awesome for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Yeah but why would anyone be dumb enough to dual at 13? The math is plainly, obviously bad.

There are a few Duals that are "worth" waiting for:

Stalker->Cleric: Dual at 12 to get Haste, PfNM, and Minor Spell Deflection as normal Cleric 3 spells.
Archer->Cleric: Dual at 12 to apply Strength, Thac0, and Spell Save penalty to Fire Seeds, Energy Blades, and Magical Stone :v:.
Beastmaster->Cleric: Dual at 12 to get Animal Summoning 1-3 as normal Cleric 1-3 Spells.
Assassin->Cleric: Dual at 21 :suicide: to get max backstabs, poison weapon (Poison Fire Seeds!), and UAI on a cleric.
Priest of Lathander->Thief: Dual at 21 :suicide: to get 3x Boon + Dual Wield + Improved Haste = 10x Assassination attacks.