Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition got patched. So now that's out, Beamdog are focusing on Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition bugs.

They are also making some kind of announcement today at PAX. I'd guess either BG expansion, or IWDEE, or maybe both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, I like IWD, but the interface really has aged horribly. I'm enthused for this.

Yep, played IWD last time about a year ago and thought it would really benefit from the EE UI. I'm not really sure if bringing all the BG2 spells, classes, kits, etc. into IWD is really a good idea though. 40 new items, and 6 new quests(whatever that means) doesn't seem like a whole lot of new content either.

Also if the previous Beamdog releases are any indication this will be a buggy mess at launch.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

fong posted:

Wait so are they going to get rid of the IWD spells? Because they kick rear end.

No, IWDEE will have the original IWD spells, and some(all?) BG2 spells.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The Icewind Dale games have nice stories, they just aren't the main focus of the games. They sure as hell beat the OC of say, Neverwinter Nights anyway.

I wonder what they'll do after IWD 2 EE? I don't want them to do Planescape because mods can fix all that and you can't really do EE of Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2... maybe Temple of Elemental Evil EE? Or remakes of the Goldbox games?

Pretty sure they are still also working on what they call "adventure Y". Which they have basically admitted being expansion set between BG1 and 2. Kinda would also explain why there is so little new stuff in IWDEE as their content guys are probably spending most of their time on that.

Edit:

quote:

The Underdork @daigledopple · 13 h

And #IWDEE isn't all we're working on, we have some plans in store for Adventure Y.

That's what their producer(?) tweeted right after the IWDEE announcement.

Zilkin fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 31, 2014

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

If you play as someone else during that expansion fine but if it's supposed to be the bhaal spawn that is really dumb. It will be a few hours of content at most and they will charge 20 dollars because of course they will. There isn't a whole lot of story to tell in between those games or levels to do it with.

My impression always was there being at least a couple months cap between killing Sarevok, and waking up in Irenicus' dungeon. Plenty of time to set an expansion in. I think the BG2 intro leaves the time between the end of BG1 and start of BG2 pretty opaque, but the ingame lore sets BG1 in 1368DR, and BG2 starts in 1369DR.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Deaderinred posted:

Didnt they have concept art for dragonspire castle or whatever it was called back when they announced bg:ee and this adventure x and y stuff?

Here it is:

East of that place is Boareskyr Bridge where Bhaal died. Just having found out that you're a bhaalspawn I think it's actually pretty decent plot idea to send the PC investigate that area.

There is also some dialogue in BG2EE that refers to things that haven't actually happened in either BG1 or 2. Like eg. NPC in Neera's ToB quest calls the PC "Victor of the Dragonspear Crusade", and there are also references to the party having visited Bridgefort which is in the same area as Boareskyr Bridge.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
You should buff your dudes with CC for pretty much every big fight anyway. It's one of the best buffs in the game.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Well to be fair using kensai/mage makes BG2 really easy too.

Anyway my party is undead hunter, priest of tempus, fighter/thief, fighter/druid, dragon disciple, and archer. Didn't take a bard since I've beaten IWD couple times with one already, and they are really boring to use if you keep them singing most of time.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

CrusherEAGLE posted:

How deep is bg2 as a game? I played a little bit but in total, how many areas are there?

It's absolutely massive, especially with ToB included. If I remember correctly BG2+ToB has total of over 300 area maps. That number also includes tiny maps like house interiors, but still BG2 is simply a huge game.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

MegaGatts posted:

I don't know how they could enhance it aside from the updated UI. That being said, I'd pay $20 for Torment with the updated UI.

Same. Also purely based on my personal experience with the IE games IWD2 has the most problems running on modern computers, so I would definitely like to see IWD2EE.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
If you have enabled the console commands there is also ctrl+j for teleporting around. I wouldn't really recommend using it for new players since teleporting past script triggers, important NPCs, etc. can cause some problems.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

anime tupac posted:

Yeah, I agree; there's nothing wrong with the plot of IWD2, it's just that your player character isn't central to it (nor can he be) so it's more of a dungeon-crawler game, but I still think all the background lore in IWD2 is rich and interesting and definitely not "bad" by any measure.

I finally started dealing with Hexxat, and I'm not sure how much of the quest was bugged, but I'm going to spoiler it all anyway, for anyone who hasn't met her yet.

1. Inside the tomb, on the first leg of fake-Hexxat's quest, I met Burich, and it seemed like I could talk through his hostility, but then he would be hostile no matter what ("Here's a rod for you to defeat Dragomir so I can finally be released! Now I am attacking you."). If this was intentional then that's fine I guess, but I went through this conversation multiple ways and sometimes it really felt like he should have not been hostile.

2. After meeting Real Hexxat, Fake Hexxat failed to die and just got removed from my party instead. I went to talk to her, confused as to what was happening, and she just acted like I'd ditched her in the field somewhere and she still wanted to go to Dragomir's Tomb. I reloaded and did the whole scene again and she got killed correctly, but I'm just wondering if this kind of thing is common in the BG2:EE added content.
I was very happy with BG:EE and had no complaints, and I just want to know if significant bugs are common from here on out (in which case I'll save even more) or if this quest has more bugs than the others.
The new content especially is definitely quite buggy in BG2EE, so yes expect to see lot more bugs. Beamdog has been working on a BG2EE patch for almost year now. I don't think even they have any idea when it will be released to the public at this point.

This what their community manager(?) said about the patch on Friday:

quote:

Just offering some real-time information:

Today we did a quick run-through of the game's major features and we uncovered a few things that will need to be addressed before we hit beta.

The game is looking really good, though, and there are some things coming down the pike (pipe? pile? piton?) that I think will make a lot of people very happy.
and to someone asking if they should wait for the patch:

quote:

I would wait, personally. This patch is definitely a game-changer.

(I don't speak for Beamdog, but just for my own personal preferences.)
There's bit more info in this thread.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
At least most of us aren't playing BG2EE on Mac. Beamdog still hasn't released even BG2EE patch 1.2 on the Mac App Store.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

BiggerJ posted:

From the Beamdog AMA on reddit:

"You said the BG2EE patch would go to beta. Now with all this time passing, haven't you changed your mind? Maybe it's better to release the patch as soon as your inner testing is over?"

"We've kept kicking the build back to development when we find showstopper bugs. We learned a big lesson in shipping a buggy BGII:EE and we are going to ensure a quality version of the game and it will take us some time to pull off."

I wonder what all the people who think they'll never release it will think if and when they actually do.

Haven't seen anyone saying that they will never patch BG2EE here. What I have seen though is people complaining about Beamdog leaving BG2EE in extremely buggy state for literally over a year now. Whoch I think is totally valid complaint, especially since Beamdog clearly prioritized Android BGEE over fixing what they had already released.

Zilkin fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 20, 2014

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Bort Bortles posted:

How much did he lift?

461 kg which is just over 1000 lbs.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Sleep of Bronze posted:

You'd normally do WK as part of ToB, so that will have influenced your impression of the difficulty curve. :v:

Also maybe it's just my impression, but I think almost everyone these days uses Ascension mod to buff up the boss fights in ToB.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
BG2EE 1.3 beta is now available on Steam. Here's how to activate it:

quote:

To activate the beta branch for the game, follow these steps:

1. In the Steam client, open the Library tab
2. Right-click on "Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition"
3. Select "Properties"
4. Select the "Beta" tab
5. Enter "IWantToTestBGII" in the field provided, then click Check Code
6. Select "updatetesting" from the drop-down
7. Close the Properties window, wait for the game to download the update, and enjoy the beta!
They also released the patch notes which actually highlight some very nice new features. Including improved pathfinding(!), more imported gear from BG1, the game remembers which spells you had memorized before getting level drained, mods can now import variables from BG1 saves, etc.

Took them a year to get even this beta out, but at least it seems to have some very nice improvements in addition to bug fixes.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

fong posted:

Tbh I almost never play through TOB. The combat becomes so loving samey I find it really boring. Its like a bunch of copy pasted mage fights strung together and just becomes a slog.

BG1->end of SOA owns

Are you playing with Ascension because my favorite fight in all of the BG games is probably Ascension Yaga-Shura. Fighting an extremely powerful giant with hordes of his soldiers assaulting you at the same time just feels pretty epic. Actually I kinda think all the Ascension fights, except Gromnir which feels just like a generic trash mob fight, are really interesting and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
it's more like ToB. You finish BGEE > import your party to SoD > finish SoD > import to BG2EE.