Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Well gently caress.

Are rangers better with two bastard swords, or a bastard sword and shield?

Depends on the swords and the shield and your level and stats and proficiencies and what you're fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Washout posted:

Whats better than crom?

Situationally, lots of stuff. For general use, Flail of Ages is probably my personal favourite. Ravager or any of the other % chance insta-kills are ridiculous, especially when GWW is a thing. Carsomyr is crazy good too.

Crom Faeyr is, honestly, a little underwhelming. It's nice to have 25 STR but probably not as good as a bunch of other effects available from other weapons. And as a main-hand weapon, meh.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

No enchanted items of any kind, so no basically no items beyond mundane armour and weapons? What about potions?

I suppose a Sorcerer or other magic-based character would get by alright. Bounty Hunter possibly with heavy trap cheese. Hmmmm

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Take both. Use Jan for as the utility thief for finding traps and busting locks (and detecting illusions), and yoshimo for setting traps and shanking fools.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Ilyich posted:

Wait, you can kill Elminster and Shandalar? How?

Very carefully.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Assassin/Mage sounds like fun. Poison your Minute Meteors/Energy Blades!

Also, Mislead is your friend, always.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

amanasleep posted:

Mazzy is way better than Minsc. Can buff her Strength, Haste, Heal, Immune to Fear. Her sword causes Slow which no enemy in the game is immune to. Can get Grandmastery instead of Minsc's max 2 pips. Minsc Berzerk actually is more of a liability than a help, as it makes him uncontrollable when you activate it, and has fewer immunities than Barbarian or Berzerker versions.

And she can use three quickslots.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

amanasleep posted:

When I come into the Infinity Engine thread I want to hear 'bout dat fantasy gaming action, not self-enforced tedium.

Dungeon-be-gone is mandatory.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Anomen is best at exploding skellingtons.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

You can't even use them to sleep in.

Sure you can?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Question: is it possible to solo Baldur's Gate without using any magic items of any kind?

Answer:

Impressive.

BG2 next?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Frankly it's not much of an adjustment of the current playthrough. Main difference being you lose backstabs [edit]except for summoned weapons, now I think of it[/edit] and have to rely even more on traps than you already do.

You'd have to either play a monk or use summoned weapons or you'd never be able to kill anything ever. I assume divine "magic" is allowed?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Does Barb-as-Fighter-kit mean multi- or dual-classing?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

I would like to offer this fine book up to the first person to call dibs, on the condition you pass it on to someone else in the thread when you are done. I likely will not have time to mail it out until the week after next though.

Ugh. Dibs.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Harlock posted:

The problem is you have to get the Mage back up to level 7 or 8 to use those abilities right?

I wanted to be a Fighter / Cleric but I started Cleric. Once I multied into a Fighter, I lost all my Cleric spells until level 9.

That's probably (definitely) the less good way to dual. Clerics keep getting better forever, Fighters sort of lose their edge after a while.More spells = better.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Silence?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

that mod for bgt/tutu for the iron crisis was great, Hard Times i think it was called, poo poo was expensive and magic swords really loving rare. made the early game really challenging with scs too.

to this day i still think that combo was the main reason my hair started to fall out.

*rolls a sorcerer, gives no fucks about items*

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Dude's a super-wizard. He probably has traps that recognize him and don't trigger and also teleports around his lair.

If you can teleport everywhere, why even have regular doors? Good luck escaping from my hermetically sealed underground box, Bhaalspawn!

e:

Suspicious posted:

Irenius could have a tiny permanent one-way portal to the elemental plane of poop in his colon.

If he could send it anywhere he'd probably poop directly into Suldanessellar or something.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

bike tory posted:

To make it more confusing, there are also various rings and amulets that lower your AC but aren't restricted. And some armour sets that have magical properties but aren't restricted either. 2.5e...

Basically as long as it doesn't have a +1/2/3 in the name, it's stackable.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

...why Garrick?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

It's dumb but I enjoy it as a conclusion to the series, especially with the buffed Five fights from Ascension.

Also fun to smash through piles and piles of enemies with your stupid level godspawn. Oh, a room full of enemies that would have destroyed me on their own back in Chapter 2? Outta the way, idiots!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

jBrereton posted:

yes apart from some utterly cringeworthy comedy skits (not a lie, those happen)

*reloads*

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Lower number is better, and goes first. If each fighter has a single attack per round (and a round is six seconds) the attacks will occur in increments of 0.6 seconds, so speed factor 4 attacks 2.4 seconds into the rounds and speed factor 6 attacks 1.2 seconds later.

I forget how multiple attacks play into this, though.

e: Identical speeds means simultaneous attacks.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah in base BG(2) if you're wearing armour that a single class couldn't, you can't use the skills of that class. No casting in armour for fighter-mages, no sneaking in anything beyond studded leather for fighter thieves.

Fighter/druids get a pass for some reason.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 1, 2017

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Bounty Hunter is actually crazy powerful if done right. Time traps and maze traps to fight on your own terms, throwing traps to mess with people off screen, standard UAI thief nonsense.

Alesia_BH soloed Ascension with one (as well as other crazy runs like a Transmuter focusing on Polymorph)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

There's some cool stuff in BG2 as well. Dragon's Breath (?) and the Wave were both nifty. Maybe others, it's been a while.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

I think six straight thieves would be a bit boring.

Maybe edit something like:

YoshImoen
Jan
Nalia (Cleric/Thief)
Valygar (Assassin)
Haer'Dalis (Swashbuckler)
PC (Whatever, really. Fighter/Thief maybe? Or a BH for post-Spellhold)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Dagger of Venom in BG1 is excellent

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Durlag's Tower is amazing, definitely one of the highlights of the whole Trilogy. Those Warders wrecked my poo poo so many times as a kid.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Debatable... Jan is pretty good though.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Don't need thAC0 when you're running Mislead forever.

Keldorn would mess him up though.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Gotta Kover his as somehow.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

And you have to be behind the enemy.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Duos > Solos

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I remember on the official Bioware forums back in the day there was someone who kept playing through BG1 and re-importing their character until they had 25s in every stat through using the stat books, I don't think they were using a level uncapper or any other mods.

I had a character which I ran down to the flesh golem cave and grabbed the CON tome until hitting 25 before playing the rest of the game. Seemed like a good idea when I was 11. Might even have posted about it on the forums.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

If BG1 had had kits Minsc would have just been a berserker and everything would have been much more sensible. Other than Minsc himself, I guess.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

cigaw posted:

:lol: if you don't stick a suit of full plate on Minsc and have him gleefully wade into melee with a two-handed sword.

He even has the right voice file for it. "Full plate and packing steel" indeed.

Magic is impressive. But now, Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Smashing Link posted:

Dwarves can be acrobats but not barbarians??

Checks out. There was an incredible dwarf acrobat when I went to the circus a few months back but I've never seen a dwarf barbarian.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Which dragon and what cheese can't you do? There's always a way...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Bondari, Nanoc the barbarian and Tim the Enchanter.

Haven't played ToB for about five years, why does this information exist in my head?