Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Rythian posted:

Baldur's Gate has so many memorable lines. The voice acting was really good for it's time.

"So hard to find... DECENT folk nowadays..."
"STOP TOUCHING MEEEEE!"
"Heh! Time for a little bit of a rough and tumble!"
"Muttmongering riff-raff..."
"Ye already be disturbed, now leave me be! Yer company be toil enough as is..."
"We're all doooomed!"
"'Elminster this, Elminster that. Give *me* 2000 years and a pointy hat and I will kick his arse!"

Not to mention all of Minsc's quotes, or Irenicus in BG2. Feel like I could keep listing tons of them.

My 'otel's as clean as an elven arse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Torquemada posted:

The line of sight thing is busted if you want to cheese the backstab thing: cast blindness on your backstabber and they’re considered stealthed.

Although they do take a fairly hefy THAC0 penalty due to not being able to see.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

That's wild.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Apparently you can also start casting it before death and it'll take effect on the corpse. This also works on enemies, allowing you to kill them again for double (or triple etc) xp. Especially effective if you use Raise Dead and bring them back at 1hp

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

Can you do this with something like a dragon that has massive xp value, or does it have to be a humanoid?

You certainly can, the video I saw was of Firkraag

https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgat...nt=share_button

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Thalantyr is just upset that he (HE!) can't spring for a big city lair like those fancy bastards Ramazith and Ragefast. Instead he's out in the sticks with a bunch of stupid skeletons wandering about.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Draw your daggers and spells, and let's have at 'er!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

According to forgottenrealms.fandom.com Thalantyr is a level 17 Conjurer so could have personally taken care of Sarevok and his whole crew without too much bother. Kelddath Ormlyr himself is apparently a level 16 Cleric of Lathander so the pair of them really don't need to be asking for help from anyone for local concerns.

High level characters just get lazy and like to subcontract, I suppose.

*Bondari reloads*

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Vichan posted:

...Scar's name is Harold Loggerson?

Weirdly delivered, too.

E: "I hear you fought alongside Harold Loggerson."
A: "Who?"
E: "Oh, yeah, everybody just knew him as Scar. But he's dead now so I might as well tell everyone that his real name was goofy as heck, lmao"

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

Again, my point of this isn't to slam the fan-novel, but it occurred to me from reading it and the official novel that if you were to sit down and try to adapt these games, how would you do it? What party members do you include in the cast, and which do you reject? Do you try to cover one of the side-quests from the game, or craft something new that makes for better pacing? Should the main character be a fighter? A wizard? A thief? If you were tasked with writing an adaptation of BG, how would you plot it out? Consider if you had just played it for the first time, and hadn't used all the party member or opted not to do certain quests.

You want to hit all the major story beats from the game without adding too much bloat. Probably run the "canon" party of Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc and Dynaheir to allow an easy set-up for BG2. Fighter is an alright fit, throw some backstory about training with Hull and the other guards to explain it. I'd be tempted to skip the whole Gnoll Stronghold stuff with Dynaheir, maybe rescue her directly from Edwin instead (and set him up as a known rear end in a top hat for BG2 Thieves Guild content.) Could probably chop one step out of the Nashkel-Bandits-Cloakwood progression too to tighten things up a bit. Keep sidequesting to a minimum, the main quest doesn't leave a lot of room for it really. In BG2 you can nod to some sidequests in Chapter 2 (gotta get that coin) but working for the Thieves Guild is going to be more plot relevant, I wouldn't go off adventuring in the Windspear/Umar Hills or Trademeet, or go anywhere near strongholds in general. Jaheira and Minsc stay, YoshImoen is obvious, add two others if you like (you probably want a wizard of some sort for Cowled shenanigans.) I'm a fan of the Aerie/Haer'Dalis duo, Minsc gets a new witch and you can do the love triangle/quadrilateral thing if you really want to. Maybe skip the plane-hopping recruitment for simplicity's sake. I'd probably consider killing Haer'Dalis off at the end of BG2, leaving space for Sarevok in ToB.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Finnish Flasher posted:

Ranger is a bad class, but if you arent using any mods to make the game more difficult it shouldn't be a problem.

Eh, Ranger is fine. The free dual-wield pips are nice and other than that you're basically a slower-levelling Fighter with a few spells. Not great but not horrible by any means.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Flowing Thot posted:

I need that trap finding.

smdh if you don't know by heart where every trap in these twenty year old games is

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

sweet geek swag posted:

Khalid is a way better tank than Minsc, for instance, he can use shields. A lot of people used to think that he was hard-coded to have a lower break point for morale than other characters, and maybe that was true in the original release of BG1, but in the Enhanced Edition it definitely isn't true.

It definitely was true, although not dramatically so. But he generally spent a lot more time as a low-level tank than most characters, meaning more chances to lose a big chunk of HP (but not die) and so run the risk of breaking.

Sad if that's been removed in EE, really.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Arivia posted:

most vendors sell things for about the same. what does affect prices is your reputation stat, which you want around 16. (any higher and neutral or evil characters start grumbling, but 16 still has an effect on good prices. At 18 evil and maybe neutral characters will leave your party.)

Evils will leave, Neutrals will only ever complain (they will leave at super low rep though)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

docbeard posted:

And that's why you don't install the Bodhi Romance mod.

Is there such a thing? There's definitely a component to Romantic Encounters but afaik that's it. And I'm sad to know that much.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

bike tory posted:

I'm pretty sure there is/was a mod that let you redeem/recruit Bodhi that came in the wake of the Solaufein mod being really successful back in the day. Can't find it anywhere though so maybe I'm misremembering or getting it confused with the Valen mod or something.

Sounds like Valen to me, which is *interestingly* balanced iirc

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

docbeard posted:

Naah I was just making a joke but it also wouldn't surprise me. I know there's one that let's you have Irenicus around in ToB (and I think one that lets you summon them both for the final battle)

Longer Road is the first one and it was alright as far as BG mods go.

I think the second one is Turnabout.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

bike tory posted:

Note also that you can access it from SoA and ToB, but they're separate areas in the game files so you can do it twice if you want. It's perfectly viable to do in late SoA but you'll end up hilariously overlevelled and over geared for SoA's end game content.

Wait, what? I've never heard that before.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Flowing Thot posted:

Dude's business was ruined by everyone in the Gate renting out their houses to travelers for far cheaper instead.

AirD&D?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

To expand slightly, the maximum you can roll on three dice (for chargen) is 18, but warrior types (fighters, rangers, paladins) get super special extra strength by rolling a d100 and making their actual score anything from 18/01 to 18/00

All of which is made redundant if you're a half-orc or have some other way of getting a +1 to your Strength, because any kind of 18 goes straight to 19 without having to step between all the various levels of 18ness. Which makes 19 a massive improvement over 18.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 26, 2023

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

What is a skeleton's casual friday?

Jawbone optional

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

(BG1 Chapter 7) Is there any loving way to prevent either Belt or Lila Janneth from getting killed at the Grand Duke ceremony? It's not a cutscene so I'm sure it's possible. I'm trying to figure out proper spell selection for my Illusionist.

Perhaps a Greater Mailison followed by a Confusion or Fear would help? Magic Missiles to bypass the Blur effect?

You're past this now but a scroll or two of Otiluke's Resilient Sphere will trivialise this fight. If you just have one stick it on Liia Janneth since she's far squishier than Belt who has several levels of Fighter HP to keep him upright.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

One of tweak mods or UB turns on armour and shield breakage

Shield breakage is fair enough but armour is a bit much imo. Plate is expensive and full plate is both very expensive and limited in quantity.

Magical armour exists but then you can't wear rings of protection so the best option in BG1 is usually mundane full plate, making that suddenly fail on a random die roll is painful.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah, that scene in the first Harry Potter book/film was really jarring for Baldur's Gate veterans.

Why is a group of three wizards not simply emptying their spellbook into the fog of war instead of farting around playing chess by the rules?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Then once it's installed you get to watch a sick as gently caress promo video of Planescape:Torment

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I can never let mention of the Age of Thick Manuals pass without mentioning Homeworld. That was a thick manual that didn't have the excuse of having to copy and paste chunks of a TTRPG rulebook. Chock full of fiction and even an in-universe argument between admirals over what fleet doctrine should be regarding capital shops and strike craft.

Definitely one of my favourites. I also really liked the one for Total Annihilation: Kingdoms. So much flavour.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

goblin week posted:

That video was sick! I wonder what half of it was about though because you never saw anything like it in the game

Oh yeah, absolutely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNgC0BlTsmA

Very cool, though.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I keep trying to use Anomen but I always end up booting him. On my best runs I manage to do his personal quest first.

He was in my first ever group that beat the game, largely because he turns up in the Copper Coronet and I didn't really change after filling the roster.

PC
Minsc
Jaheira
YoshImoen
Anomen
Nalia

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

If you were doing a duo and covering all the major archetype bases (fighter, mage, cleric, theif) how would you split your multiclasses?

Fighter/Mage and Cleric/Thief?
Fighter/Thief and Cleric/Mage?
Fighter/Cleric (or Cleric/Ranger) and Mage/Thief?

Or even throw in a triple-class for all the nonsense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Rappaport posted:

Bhaal forbid anyone have to open Notepad :ohdear: Oh, I guess that hoses over people who play on mobile devices?

I think I'd do fighter/thief and mage/cleric because those are more straight-forward combinations. (IMO) The hypothetical doesn't specify if I can bring in NPCs, because my duo wouldn't really have a front-liner, aside from summons I suppose. But then again, planetars are kind of nice.

I was thinking no, just "what's your preferred way to build a two-character team that covers all the bases.

I've done a R/C charname plus Imoen before which was pretty fun, although I did add Sarevok in ToB for Maximum Bhaalers