Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Hey OP there is a significant issue with IWD2 (which might affect the earlier IE games, such as Planescape, as well). It's an issue involving very annoying stuttering and flickering and which is caused by the engine relying on something called DirectDraw, which is a deprecated DirectX function or some poo poo. Anyway there are two ways of fixing the issue. Last time I checked, people with Nvidia cards could make some custom driver profile which would force DirectDraw emulation for IWD2. I have an ATI card so I can't verify this. The second fix, which I use, involves using an application set released by Microsoft called the Application Compatibility Toolkit (or something like that). You can download this for free from Microsoft's support website. What you do is you open the 32 bit Compatibility Administrator, create a new database (name it IWD2 fix or something), select the IWD2 executable, under Compatibility Fixes you choose ForceDirectDrawEmulation, and then you save and install the database. That's all there is to it, you don't need any of the applications open when you run the games. As I mentioned earlier, you might need to install this for Planescape and IWD1 as well. I never had problems with BG or BG2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
If you are having trouble with IE games such as stuttering, flickering, lag, brief freezes etc then you should try the following:

1. Download the Application Compatibility Toolkit from the microsoft website.
2. Open the 32-bit version.
3. Create a custom database and include the fix called "Force DirectDraw Emulation" or whatever looks like that
4. Apply that database to your IWD.exe or BG2.exe etc

My memory is a bit hazy but that is a rough guide on how to resolve most of the issues with IE games. I posted this fix ages ago and it usually fixes these problems:

quote:

Hey OP there is a significant issue with IWD2 (which might affect the earlier IE games, such as Planescape, as well). It's an issue involving very annoying stuttering and flickering and which is caused by the engine relying on something called DirectDraw, which is a deprecated DirectX function or some poo poo. Anyway there are two ways of fixing the issue. Last time I checked, people with Nvidia cards could make some custom driver profile which would force DirectDraw emulation for IWD2. I have an ATI card so I can't verify this. The second fix, which I use, involves using an application set released by Microsoft called the Application Compatibility Toolkit (or something like that). You can download this for free from Microsoft's support website. What you do is you open the 32 bit Compatibility Administrator, create a new database (name it IWD2 fix or something), select the IWD2 executable, under Compatibility Fixes you choose ForceDirectDrawEmulation, and then you save and install the database. That's all there is to it, you don't need any of the applications open when you run the games. As I mentioned earlier, you might need to install this for Planescape and IWD1 as well. I never had problems with BG or BG2.

edit: lol it's in the OP

Someone told me that random freezes can sometimes be caused by the games trying to write to program files if they don't have the correct permissions. I have no idea if that is true or not but I usually install these games outside of program files.

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 1, 2014

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Does IWD:EE still have the insane rest restrictions of the original game?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
So does IWD:EE change the way resting works or at least give you a convenient way to get back to town?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

CrusherEAGLE posted:

So I hear IWD2 is not very good. Are these rumors to be believed?

It's pretty good. The combat is a lot more involved and generally more difficult than the other IE games. The rules are different so you have to approach it differently too.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

BadAstronaut posted:

Does anyone know how to stop the apparent bug where turning undead stops instantly and you basically can't use it?

I think that's a party AI issue. Try turning it off and see if that helps.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Try the compatibility modes. If that fails and if the DirectDraw patch doesn't work in Windows 8, you can achieve the same result using the Application Compatibility Toolkit, which in Windows 8 is part of the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK).

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

JustJeff88 posted:

I always play on the difficulty level just below Core Rules (Normal?) because I hate spell learn failure, I don't want my characters to permanently die, and I practically need max HP per level because I make it a point to not rest every 3 seconds like some do. I feel that part of the fun and tension of these sorts of games is resource management, and constantly pressing the "fill me up!" button kind of eliminates that.

However, what I don't like about that level is the "enemies do 3/4 damage", which I think is silly. I can either play on Core Rules and install mods (inconvenient), constantly reload (silly), or move the slider when I level up or want to scribe something (also annoying). I think that it would have made a lot more sense to, instead of having a slider with levels, just have a bunch of tick boxes that had things like "Max HP per level?" and "Always scribe arcane spells?". At the least, have those as overrides so that, for mad people playing on Insane, they can at least have max HP and not waste the 2 precious Stoneskin scrolls in BG1 because the RNG decided to piss on them.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg1tweaks/

If those two things are all you want to change, then when you install it, use only the Higher HP on Level Up and Easy Spell Learning options. It's not even remotely inconvenient.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Booyah posted:

Anyone ever tried a throwing archer kit ranger in bg2?

There's a throwing axe and a dagger(the dagger isn't until underdark I think) that you could use, but I imagine it would be a mediocre gimmick at best.

I kinda want to try it though. Thoughts?

Thanks, I know what I'm doing for my next run through the game.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Brett Riverboat, knifeman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I just realised you said melee only... Brett Riverboat also uses throwing knives. My bad. You do get some pretty sweet daggers in BG2 though.