Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How are you supposed to roleplay as evil in Baldur’s Gate, are you expected to pick the lovely jerk dialogue choices with poo poo rewards, and also randomly kill a commoner once your reputation reaches eighteen, because that’s what I’ve been doing and it’s dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Better than no-kit Paladin, also it rules in IWD

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

queeb posted:

i just got him and his stuttering/nervousness and whatever is grating, does he have a story moment where he toughens up or anything?

Edit: also got the wizards ring from ouytside the friendly arm inn, i now have 6 casts at level 1, its good. sleep is amazing

Without mods, no NPC companion has any story moment

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

bike tory posted:

Coran is another really strong character, and like Kagain he has illegal stats - 20 dex and 3 points in longbows. He's a better archer than Kivan, with the added utility of his thief skills.

Unless you're really enjoying having Imoen, there's really no reason from a min/max point of view to keep her around once you get to Coran.

Look, there’s nothing illegal about my 21 wisdom cleric, I earned those tomes

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is SoD actually any good? The EE NPCs are weak imo, so a whole game filled with them doesn't sound too fun

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Are Cleric/rangers, without that one .ini fix to add Druid spells, worth using over fighter/clerics?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Reputation is so busted in these games. I wish Kagain didn’t act so offended because we cleared the Nashkel Mines: we got paid for it, you idiot! I wish I didn’t have to kill some random bystander every now and again to quell Viconia’s apparent bloodlust. I wish the evil companions weren’t so insistent that we pay nearly double on every item we buy in shops because god forbid we ingratiate ourselves with the locals for pragmatic reasons, clearly we should make sure everyone hates us, that’ll advance our goals for sure, guys

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I installed the tweak that sets prices to 100% regardless of rep, and the one that makes it so that companions won’t leave due to high/low reputation. Now rep is just for flavour, aside from that nebulous “reaction check” stuff, and I couldn’t be happier

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Just do whatever. There are companions who’ll fill in the gaps

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You need a trap-finder

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I guarantee that’s it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Just a minor point, you should put helmets on your fighter/thief and druid, it might save a life one day

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Iwd2 was the worst of all worlds

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gooch181 posted:

Yeah I'm pretty certain I told Edwin to take a hike. I kind of have the feeling Xan isn't the best candidate for primary mage, so ditching him for a non-evil character would be good. Do most of the characters just go chill at the inn or someplace so you can change your mind later? I know Neera said she'd be waiting someplace, but haven't been sure about others.

No, the vanilla BG NPCs will wait in place for the rest of time when you dismiss them from your party. There are some who run off forever if you refuse them the first time you meet them, but, again, if you let them into your party and immediately dismiss them, they’ll default to their “stand in place” behaviour

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

First time I hear anyone criticize BG’s dialogue

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I really have to disagree, I think it does a great job injecting flavour and personality into what has become an otherwise generic fantasy setting. Even the randomized one-liners you get the out of commoners are entertaining

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The trouble with darts is their lower range. In BG1 I outfit everyone with ranged weapons, and having a few of my guys break rank (and it will invariably be the weaker party members) and move closer to the enemy is a big problem

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Like what?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Doesn’t pickpocketing require save scumming? I never do it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wish the EE changed how detect traps worked so that it worked consistently instead of doing a check every six seconds or whatever

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Not gonna lie, I mod out the traps and just simulate them by forcing myself to have a thief with 100 in detect traps in my party at all times

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Trouble is that, as I understand it, the game checks once every six seconds for traps while your thief is detecting traps. So that means inching forward and waiting six seconds if you want to be absolutely sure there’s no trap up ahead, and with traps potentially being super deadly, it kinda sucks if you’re not quicksaving every room

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I could never get into NWN2 precisely because of the UI, I hadn’t considered there’d be mods for it but that’s good to hear, I might give it another shot now!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:same:

Little “What am I?” riddles presented with a list of the possible answers? Hell yes

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Always found it weird that in the OG, 640x480 Baldur’s Gate, going into your inventory unpaused the game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Garrick with the bg1 NPC mod becomes a “well THAT just happened!” guy

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What does it mean to "not be able to use a sword", anyway. Burns your hands?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Xan is lawful neutral, the worst alignment

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I never got why people had so much trouble with Tarnesh, one charge from imoen’s magic missile wand to interrupt his first cast and he becomes putty

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Arivia posted:

I use any number of mods to turn Mazzy into a Paladin (Cavalier, to distinguish her from Keldorn), there's literally no reason for her not to be one besides it being an illegal combination in the BG2 character creation rules (which get broken for other NPCs already).

But she’s has a Shortbow!!!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m absolutely delighting in these dialogue screenshots, please keep sharing them!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Kagain is my friend

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I got an idea for a cool new NPC, named ray just, he’s a paladin (unique kit “shadowchampion”, main drawback of the kit is that he’s forced to be lawful lawful good good) with 20 strength (he has ogre blood) and 20 charisma (I thought about leaving it at 19 but really he has a very strong personality). Only romanceable for Elf females with 18+ charisma

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The race restrictions are either :biotruths: or fall into the common fantasy trap of assuming that race and culture are the exact same thing

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Considering the PC in baldur’s gate will always have been raised by Gordon, it’s strange that it goes “oops sorry you were born a halfling, you can’t be trained as a mage”

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don’t know how you can play a squishy main character who keeps to the back line, it takes forever to talk to NPCs as your guy or girl squeezes through your party

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m trying a sorcerer playthrough of bg1, and I’m wondering, does Spook just like not do anything? I used it on a wolf in the first wilderness area, its circle turned yellow, but it went ahead and chased my girl around anyway and ate me

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

idk this is what Spook does

https://imgur.com/a/RwFWbeo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

Yeah that's not right. You running mods?

Sword coast stratagems and the tweaks anthology. Further experimentation shows that humans and the like are cowering properly, it really is just animals (or at least wolves) who are handling fear in their own wolfy way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Just found out there's an option in baldur.ini to enable area-of-effect markers!! ('Show AOE')

This is Color Spray: