Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Regarding PS:T, how do I cast spells? I did the quest to become a mage, but it's been a while since I've played the game. I got stuck at Weeping Stones Catacombs, on the quest for Pharod. I try fighting via melee, but keep dying.

On an additional note, how easy is it to avoid combat throughout the rest of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

MegaGatts posted:

Right click to bring up the ability menu, there's a spell tab in there that you can use to cast. Make sure you have some memorized first.
I memorized some spells, but as soon as I used them, they disappeared. I think I know the process for memorization. You select spells from the book, then rest somewhere and they are available to cast. Is there a way to stack a spell multiple times?

I should also note that I only have three spells: Chromatic Orb, Identify, and Blood Bridge. Should I have more spells or allies at this point? The only other party member I have is Morte.

On a side note, I've had issues with the game crashing when entering certain screen. For whatever reason, I can't re-enter Mebbeth's house without the game crashing. I've had this happen in other areas to. I think it might have to do with the mods. I followed the mod guide from GOG when I installed the game. Could one of those have something to do with it?

EDIT: I've added the current character stats to check and see if I messed up during character creation:

Nameless One posted:

Lvl.3 [Str:12] [Int:15] [Wis:13] [Dex:10] [Con:11] [Chr:11]

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 20, 2013

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Your wisdom is low. Wisdom gives you bonus XP and dialogue options that add up to much more XP than you get from combat in this game. There is specifically something you can do very soon that will let you rapidly ascend a few levels as a mage, but your INT and especially your WIS is insufficient. Your build is absolutely playable and the combat in this game isn't difficult outside of one optional late-game dungeon, but you're still very early and could consider restarting if you want.

You are short one party member, and he's one of my favorites. Go to the Smoldering Corpse Bar and talk to Dak'kon. He's going to be better than you or Morte at this point in the game.

There are a lot of spells you could have prior to this point in the game. Ice Knife, Armor, Magic Missile, Strength, and some others are in prior, easier areas waiting to be found. Some other interesting options would require talking to Dak'kon with more WIS.

I had actually been considering starting over, because I haven't played the game in a while, and lost track of where I was at. I remember talking to Dak'kon, but don't remember why I wasn't able to recruit him. I also didn't know where to find the other spells.

Is there a specific stat allocation I should use during character creation?
EDIT: Never mind, saw the recommended build in the OP.

Robocop Horney posted:

Honestly, don't play these games with mods. It's not like a Bethesda game where the game sucks and comes with cool modding tools - these are great games with shoddy modding tools and mods that don't add anything but flavor. Get an unofficial patch but ignore every other mod because the games weren't designed around them. Install mods for a second playthrough if you want something different.

If I'm starting over, should I just axe all the mods and reinstall the game? Some like the widescreen mods and UI mods are nice, but I think might be the reason my game crashes in certain areas. Others like the tweak mods and Unfinished Business packs seem like they'd be worth keeping in to balance the game and expand on the plot.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 20, 2013

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Airfoil posted:

I'm assuming PS:T players are familiar with the Windows 7/8 crash-to-desktop bug during area transitions. Googling around doesn't turn up much other than "save a lot and learn to live with it."

Anyone aware of an actual fix? It appears to be mod related - probably Bigg's widescreen.
I've had that problem too. I think it is linked to the widescreen mod, but I'm not sure. I noticed that the widescreen mod has been updated to version 3.05, so maybe updating it will work?

Suspicious posted:

The game checks for either high intelligence or wisdom for dialogues almost all the times though. Wisdom gives an experience bonus which translates into more levels and thus more stat points to distribute. Intelligence isn't useful if you aren't a mage. You don't need to be a mage, I guess that's the point I was indirectly making. Starting with 18 wisdom will unlock the vast majority of dialogue options and you can spend the rest of your points in physical stats if you want.

Charisma-only options with no wise alternatives are pretty rare. So rare that I can't think of a meaningful one.
So high Wisdom and and high Intelligence are interchangeable in regards to getting the best/most dialogue options, and focusing points into high wisdom works better if you want to play as a fighter. If so, is it easier to play as fighter?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Airfoil posted:

Sadly, no. The 3.05 update is at least a couple of years old. I don't think it's in particularly active development anymore.

Jabronie posted:

I feel I should warn you on a related issue with an art gallery you'll encounter later in the game. It wasn't just transitions in to that place but it seemed like uncovering fog of war on certain items would make it crash. Unfortunately you'll have to go through there for the main story but I managed, somehow.
So then is it best to drop the widescreen mod completely? What about other mods from the GOG mod list, like the Tweaks Pack, or the Unfinished Business patch? Do they cause problems or crashes?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

They're not interchangeable at all; Most of the mage-specific dialogue options and a fair number of others require INT. There are also a lot that require WIS specifically, and a fair few that require CHA.

The early game is easier as a fighter, but the real reason things are hard going is that you don't have Dak'kon, who starts out as the best damage dealer and eventually grows up into being good at melee fighting, offensive spellcasting, and casting buffs all at once. You'll need high INT and WIS to utilize all his dialogue options.

I don't know that much about your crashing issue, but the game is perfectly good without mods, especially your first time through. Try disabling the widescreen mod first, because the fixpack adds a fair amount and the tweakpack can eliminate the need for savescumming on level-ups.
In that case, I'll stick to being a mage and recruit Dak'kon.

Since I was starting over, I decided to just reinstall the game along with all the mods. Something that might be worth noting is that the GOG installer changed, so instead of installing under the Program Files directory, the game now installs directly under the C drive (ex. C:\GOG Games\Planescape Torment). I also downloaded updated versions of the mods. Hopefully, that will fix the crashing, but if it doesn't, I'll remember what you said and try disabling the widescreen mod first to see if it's the cause.

The Crotch posted:

Don't worry too much about charisma, though. It's a bit less important than Wisdom and Intelligence to begin with, and more importantly, there are tons of ways to get "Friends" (a CHA-boosting spell) on you whenever you need it.
Is there a certain minimum I should have in Charisma? The suggested build in the OP says to have a Wisdom of 18, an Intelligence of 16, and a Charisma of 14. If Charisma doesn't need to be that high, where should I distribute the remaining points?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

A quick question: In the OP, it instructs that you should install the BGT Tweak Pack when you transition over to BG2. However, the download page for the tweak pack states that the file is broken. Is it necessary to have the tweak pack?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I’ve been playing Baldur’s Gate 1 via the Baldur’s Gate Trilogy mod. I managed to make to Chapter 4, but I wanted some advice before I progressed any further.

The character I created has these stats:
code:
Human, Neutral Good, Fighter
-----------------
Strength – 18/87
Dexterity – 17
Constitution – 18
Intelligence – 8
Wisdom – 8
Charisma – 7
-----------------
Proficiencies
Long Sword: +
Crossbow: +
Sword & Shield Style: +
Single Weapon Style: +
The characters I have in my party are Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, & Dynaheir. Imoen, Jaheira, and my character have made it to Level 2.

Regarding equipment, I switched Minsc’s weapon from the Two-Handed Sword to a pair of maces (since he has proficiencies with both the two weapon style and with maces). I also switched Jaheira’s equipment, giving her with a sling, rather than having her get into melee range with the quarterstaff.

The hardest fight I’ve had so far is the one with Mulahey, because of the minions he spawns in, and the status effects he inflicts on the party. I finally managed to beat him by moving my party into a different part of the cave to keep all the minions from appearing at once, but I still had Khalid and Dynaheir die at the end of the fight and had to resurrect them.

Is there anything I should do or change before moving forward to make things easier?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Quick question: What level should you be at before taking on the Bandit Camp in BG1? I've tried multiple times to defeat everyone in Tazok's tent, but every time I try, someone gets poisoned & dies or the entire party gets hit with the Panic spell. I tried the trick of luring one enemy out at a time, but that turns the rest of the camp aggressive, which only makes things more difficult.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Mr. Neutron posted:

It's been a while since the last time I played BG1 but I would say between 4 and 5?
Most of my party is at Level 3, so maybe I'll try to get to Level 5 or 6 before going to the camp.

Factor_VIII posted:

Just change your tactics. You could for example work your way through the camp from left to right and take care of all the mooks first. Then cast the level 1 cleric or level 2 wizard spell Remove Fear to make yourself immune to the Horror spell. A Web spell will also work wonders in the tent if your party has ranged attacks.

I actually made inside the camp under the guise of wanting to join the bandits, so I don't necessarily need to fight everyone in the camp. I gave the web spell to Dynaheir, but it ends up hitting my party as well (but I guess that's the reason to use ranged weapons, though).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

sweart gliwere posted:

I take it you're pretty new to this.
Exactly. This is the first time I've played either of the Baldur's Gate games (I'm playing through both via the Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod). The fact that I've made it this far is thanks to looking at walkthroughs, maps, LPs, and a lot of dumb luck. Even at this point, though, I still feel like I'm flying blind. I don't know if the party I have is any good, if there are spells I should have or don't need, or if my party's equipment is appropriate. I could make a post detailing the party I have and their equipment and spells, but that would probably be a massive post.

MegaGatts posted:

He probably won't have access to any freedom of movement spells at this point, but he should have some potions of it at this point in the game.
I checked, and I don't have any freedom of movement potions, but I'll make a note to try to get some freedom of movement spells when I can.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I finally made it through the Bandit's Camp, and I even managed to score a set of Full Plate Mail! :toot:

I'm off to Cloakwood next, but I had a few questions before moving on:

- I have the option to dual-class Imoen as a Thief/Mage, but I'm not sure whether I should or not. I read somewhere that if you do, you wait until Imoen is at Level 8.
- Is there any way to improve Dynaheir's AC? I found the bracers that reduce AC to 8, but that's about it. Are mages just stuck with having a high AC, since they can't equip armor?
- Up to this point, I've had Minsc use dual maces. Currently, he has a single point in the Mace skill, and three points in Dual Wielding. Is there a better weapon setup I could be using; one that might improve his attack? (Also, I tried equipping Minsc with a Long Bow, but for some reason, he won't use it.)
- What's the difference between 'THAC0' and 'Base THAC0'?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

kaschei posted:

I think in BG2 imoen has 8 levels of thief. If you want character sheet-level continuity you can do this. As far as actually playing BG1 it will be a long time before you get your thief skills back (they are totally disabled until you hit level 9 as a mage, including weapon proficiencies - the character is basically a level 1 mage with a bunch of HP). I would recommend dual classing earlier or not at all, leaning to not at all unless you have another thief you want to adventure with.

I think that was the reasoning behind the recommendation; it was so it would be in continuity with BG2. In any case, I don't think I'll try dual-classing. The only reason I thought it'd be worth doing is so I could get some spells that neither Jaheria or Dynaheir can learn.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Factor_VIII posted:

I agree you shouldn't bother with it. You'd be left without a thief for a large chunk of the game. You'd probably need to recruit another thief, at which point you might as well skip dual-classing and get a second mage who'd be higher level than level 1 mage Imoen.

That reminds me of something else I was meaning to ask. If you remove people from your party, do they disappear permanently, or do they return to where you originally recruited them? Keep in mind that I'm playing BG1 via the Trilogy mod.

Also, if you don't recruit certain characters when you first meet them, do they disappear from the game permanently? I didn't recruit Garrick or Edwin when I met them, and they disappeared after I finished speaking to them.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Factor_VIII posted:

The Stupefier, a mace found in Beregost on the second floor of Burning Wizard in a locked chest is one of the best weapons in the game. Equip that in his main hand and dual maces are a great way to go with Minsc. Just spend your next proficiency point on maces.

I went to get the mace, but it wasn't there. I did a search, and it looks like Stupefier was something that was added to the Enhanced Edition.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I've made it to Cloakwood, and now I'm having trouble again. I keep getting poisoned by spiders and ettercaps. I went back to get some antidotes, but I don't know how many I need, or if that's even an effective strategy. I also ran into an enemy called a 'hamadryad', who kept teleporting around with a dimensional door, and hitting members of my party with Dire Charm, which makes them hostile.

My party is made up of Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, Dynaheir. Almost everyone is at level 4 (the exception being Imoen who is at level 5). Is that too low of a level to be doing Cloakwood yet? I actually thought that had to do the fight in the Spider Cave before I checked, and found out that there were more parts to Cloakwood. I skipped the map where you find druids, and I'm at the map that has wyverns.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Too bad the canon party is terrible :(

Khalid is worthless and Jaheira's fighter half seems to do her no favors. I would drop them for Viconia and...I dunno, that evil dwarven shopkeeper with 20 CON? The guy with 20 DEX who asks for help killing wyverns in Cloakwood? Literally anyone is better is than Khalid is what I'm saying.

I sort of expected to hear this when I first posted about who was in my party. The truth is I didn't know who to recruit, so I thought the canon party would be a safe bet.

I guess what I'll ask is if there's any benefit in keeping the canon party, aside from just continuity. Truth be told, I'd like to stick with it if I could, but considering how much trouble I've had up to this point, changing the party might be good plan.

I have to ask, though, if there's a way or a place to store equipment, because if I drop Khalid & Jaheira for Coran & Yeslick, I'd like to trade their equipment over to them.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I managed to make it through Cloakwood mines, and I've finally made it Baldur's Gate.

Somebody pointed out that there's a lot of side-quests to do in the city, and that it's easy to get burned out. Awful as it might be to say, I'd like to do as few as them as possible so I can continue with the story. Are there any specific side-quests that should absolutely be done before moving on?

The other question I had was concerning what equipment or spells I should have before the end of the game. I have the Golden Pantaloons, but I remember that there were a couple of other items that carry over into BG2. Mostly I'm concerned with what I need for the final boss.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Is there a specific level or strategy you need to defeat everyone on the fifth floor of the Iron Throne HQ?

At the moment, most of my party is at Lvl. 6. I try to start the fight by having Dynaheir by casting Haste on the party beforehand, and then cast an AOE spell (Fireball, Web, & Dispel Magic) when the fight begins. Web doesn't seem to work on everyone, and it seems like Dispel Magic has no effect, since the enemies can still cast spells. Regardless, the mages are still able to take out my party pretty quickly. One walkthrough I read said to send the other half of you party up via the other staircase, but I don't know how much of a difference it makes.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

I cheesed it by running up and down the stairs to break up the fight / divide and conquer.

This is how I managed to complete the fight, though partway through I left the building to go over to the inn to heal.

FairGame posted:

Yeah seriously. You get like a billion wands in BG1. The toughest fights in the game--Iron Throne, bounty hunter ambushes, Chessboard--should all be opened with 6 fireballs from Necklace of Missiles, Wands of Fire, Oils of Fiery Burning, etc.

Then when the survivors make their way to you zap them with wands of paralysis.

I actually haven't found that many wands, or any of the other items you mentioned (apart from the Oils of Fiery Burning). Right now, I've just returned to Candlekeep. Should I reload an earlier save, and seek some of that stuff out before proceeding on?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I've made it through the Candlekeep Dungeon, and I still feel like I'm doing something wrong. I decided that I'd go through some of the areas that I skipped earlier to see if I could level up a little before I returned to Baldur's Gate. Everyone in my party is at Level 6, but it still seems like I still have trouble with certain fights. I went to the cave near where you find Safana, and I had trouble fighting the Flesh Golems.

Minsc seems to have the most trouble, since he takes damage pretty easily. I don't know why though, since he has an AC of 1, and the two melee weapons load-outs I have for him (dual Maces & Spider's Bane) shouldn't affect him too much with skills he has (Two points in 2-handed sword; One point in Maces; One point in 2-handed style; and 3 points in Two Weapon Style). Khalid seems to have the same problem when fighting melee (even though when he has a shield equipped, he has a AC of -2).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

a medical mystery posted:

What do your armor/misc slots look like? You can get some sets of Ankheg armor for two of your frontliners, and equip them with x of protections.

Make use of the damage type reduction belts, too, they can be surprisingly useful.
I have one ankheg armor set, which is equipped on Jaheira. I locked myself out of getting another set by selling the shells to the Blacksmith in Beregost instead.

My character (a Fighter) has Full Plate Mail, Minsc has Plate Mail +1, and Khalid has standard Plate Mail. As far x of protections, my character has the Protection ring you get from Koveras, Khalid has a Cloak of Protection +1, and Imoen has another Ring of Protection.

I tried giving Imoen's Protection ring to Minsc, but it can't be worn in tandem with the Plate Mail +1. The same issue applies with the Ankheg armor; you can't have the armor and and a protection item (either the ring or a cloak) equipped at the same time.

I haven't found any damage reduction belts yet.

FairGame posted:

Ac of 1 or -2 are both pretty bad for a tank. You should have 18 dex, full plate, a Ring of protection, and a plus 1 shield. And a girdle.

Anyway flesh golems will still hit you. Best bet for them is a potion of absorption, which will trivialize anything with crushing damage.
My character has an AC of -5, 17 DEX, Full Plate, a Ring of Protection, and a +1 Large Shield, but no girdle.

Khalid has a DEX of 16 & is equipped with Plate Mail and a +1 Protection Cloak. For the most part, I have him use a Long Bow in fights. Occasionally, though, I'll have him switch to melee, and equip him with a +1 Medium Shield.

Minsc only has a DEX of 15. I can give him a +1 Shield, but the only thing he could use with it is a single mace. What I could do is switch out the +1 plate mail with full plate armor. That way, he can also equip a protection ring.

FairGame posted:

There isn't a high dex fighter in the game with decent HP, btw. Did you get the gauntlets of dexterity from the gnoll fortress? That is the best item in the game in terms of giving you a viable tank. Unlike 3rd edition and later, there's no penalty for wearing heavy armor, so your dude in fifty pounds of full plate can still dance around with 18 dex and get a -4 AC bonus.
Unfortunately, I can't get the Gauntlets of Dexterity anymore. The only way to get them is to fight the two half-ogres you meet on the bridge. Instead of doing that, I paid their toll, and they disappeared.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

no thanks posted:

You're at the point where most people do the TotSC content, it sounds like you need to do a bit more exploring before you jump in to that. Fights against other adventuring group-type parties are the toughest in the game, cast some pre-buff spells and don't be afraid of using wands and potions to get through them.

I was actually planning on skipping the TotSC content because of the difficulty. Is that a bad idea?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm nearing the end of BG1.In the last chapter, when you find Duke Eltan and bring him to the Harbormaster, you're are supposed to get an invitation. However, I can't seem to find it anywhere in my inventory. Does it show up as an actual item, or did something get screwed up?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

fong posted:

Did you meet Tamoko? She hints as to where you should go (the top floor of the Iron Throne building). If you've done that and didn't catch the next leg in the quest, you need to go to the Undercellars, accessed through the Blushing Mermaid in NE Baldurs Gate.

I actually did things out of order. I beat Cythandria in the Iron Throne buiding and got Saverok's diary before I spoke to Tamoko. I've found the Undercellars, but I got there by going through the sewers underneath the Docks.

I took a look at a different walkthrough, and it turns out that you get the invitation from the assassins in the Undercellars.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I've made it up to the battle with Sarevok, and I've run into another problem. Once the fight starts, someone sends out a spell that instantly kills whoever is near. I even tried using a Potion of Invulnerability, and I still died. Do I have to reload from the start of the maze, and go get another Protection from Magic scroll, or is there another way around this?

EDIT: This fight is near impossible. The best I was able to do was lure out Tazok and Angelo, but after I beat both of them, my character and Minsc had lost a lot of health. I don't know what spell Semaj casts (I think it's Tattoo of Power), but in one of my attempts, it killed my entire party. I had Dynaheir summon monsters to try and take the spell so all my party members survive, but it never seemed to work.

Regardless, I was able to draw Saverok out without Semaj following, but I just can't seem to beat him. Even after using Draw Upon Holy Might to drop my THAC0 to 8 and my AC to -6, he can still hit me more than I can hit him. I have the rest of my party (Dynaheir, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc, and Imoen) attack with +1 arrows/+1 bullets, cast spells, and use wands, but it doesn't damage him fast enough.

I'm at the point where I'm considering cranking down the difficulty, or failing that, using cheats.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 30, 2014

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Well, I finally managed to beat Sarevok. I had to drop the difficulty down from Normal to Easy to do so, but the loading screen messages advise you to adjust the difficulty if you're having trouble with a fight, so technically it's not cheating.
:thumbsup:

Anyway, I've now started BG2. What I want to ask is if the fights/encounters in BG2 are easier or harder than in BG1 (keep in mind that I've been playing BG1 via the Trilogy mod). On top of that, who should I have in my party?

Also, as entertaining side note, BGT messed up the music in BG1 (I don't think it's a problem with the mod; probably something I did wrong during the installation), so not only did the tavern music play in temples, it also played constantly in the Undercity & in the Temple of Bhaal.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 30, 2014

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

You can beat the game with a single fighter if you want, but that doesn't mean it's not inefficient.

I mean the game's easy enough even on insane you don't need to worry about it overmuch but I'd really recommend bringing a mage to strip protections.
It's just that I had trouble throughout BG1, and I was playing on Normal difficulty. Everything I've heard about BG2 has given me the impression that it's a lot harder.

I imagine that mages are a little easier to deal with in BG2 if you know all the spells that deal with using and breaking magic protection. What worries me more are all the various monsters, like beholders, dragons, and liches. Mind flayers sound like they're the worst, since they can take out party members by draining their intelligence.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Wait, lol. "A new "Story Mode" difficulty setting to allow players to experience all of the story with none of the Game Over screens"
Isn't Icewind Dale considered to have the weakest story of all the Infinity Engine games? Wouldn't something like this be more appropriate to Baldur's Gate, or Planescape even?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

After you've made it out of starting dungeon in BG2, who would be the best mage to get for a good-aligned party? I know you can get Aerie from doing the tent quest, but I was wondering if there was someone else who was better. (Currently, my party consists of Minsc, Jaheira, and Yoshimo)

Also, I wanted to ask about dual-classing, because the mechanics are confusing to me. I understand that when you dual-class, you have to reach the same level you were at with you previous class to use those skills again. What I don't understand is why you would not immediately dual-class once you reach Level 2, and minimize the time it takes to reach your previous level. If you dual-class a higher level, does it gives some additional benefit?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 4, 2014

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Aerie is probably the best spell caster in the game, if only because you can throw cleric spells into spell sequencers and contingencies.

For dual classing, you only get the benefits of your first class up until the level you dualed, so a fighter 2/mage x would only have the first 2 levels of fighter hp for example, or a mage 2/ fighter x would only have access to the spells of a second level mage.

So if I understand correctly, when you dual-class, you get all the skills/abilities from your starting class, but they are capped at the level at which you dual-classed.

So, for example, if I were a level 8 fighter, and I dual-classed to a mage, then I'd still be able to use some or all of my fighter skills, but they'd never improve past the 8th level.

Is that correct, or am I just not getting it?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

FairGame posted:

e: seriously, dual-classing really isn't very fun because you have a lovely low-level character getting dragged along by the rest of the group for some period of time. I really wouldn't do it in your first play-thru. If you want a fighter/mage, make a multiclass elf/halfelf fighter/mage, or roll a blade (bard kit).
I wasn't planning on dual-classing the character I was playing at the moment, I was just trying to get a better understanding on how it works, and if it was worth trying in the future. Multi-class character seem like they're much easier to deal with.

The one advantage I see with dual-classing is that you have access to class kits. I thought that a kensai that dual-classed into a mage would make for a good combo, but I imagine that it wouldn't actually work that well in execution.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I finally picked up BGT again after a couple of months of ignoring it. I managed to finish deArnise Keep, and got it as a stronghold.

It baffles me that there are mods that make the game more difficult, because I still feel like I'm struggling through the game on Normal difficulty.

I feel like the Infinity Engine doesn't handle path-finding well in small, narrow areas. Half the time when I send my party through a doorway, everybody get caught up and one or two characters will start heading off in the opposite direction.

If it sounds like I'm just complaining, I don't mean to. I finished the first game, and I'd like to complete BG2 and ToB.

The party I have currently consists of Minsc, Yoshimo, Jaheira, Aerie, and Nalia. In most encounters, I have my character (a Fighter) and Minsc attack up close while the other four members attack from a distance with arrows, slings, and spells. I planned on replacing Nalia once I got back to the Copper Coronet, since she's a dual-class thief/mage, and Yoshimo and Aerie both fit those roles. I know that Yoshimo betrays you later in the game , but that he drops an item that gives you a lot of experience.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

sebzilla posted:

What exactly are you struggling with?

If you're planning on dropping Nalia, who are you going to replace her with? You could do with an extra front-liner probably (I'd have Jaheira up there too) so there are a few decent candidates out there. Aerie will probably tell you to go back and chat to Quayle soon enough (or you can just head to the Five Flagons in the Bridge district and bypass the hint) which will lead you to my preferred choice to round out the party, a front-liner with a magical twist. Alternatively, head to the Temple district to meet a character who'll make enemy mages cry.

I don't know really. Maybe I'm doing better than I think. Maybe my problem is that I assume I'm better equipped or skilled then I actually am. I figured that my Lvl. 9 Fighter with Full Plate Armor and 4 pips in Long Sword could take out enemies pretty quickly and avoid taking a lot of damage, but maybe that 's not the case.

I know this is a cheesy tactic, but I always save and rest after every fight. to gain back the health I've lost and get my spells back. I also reload if someone dies in a fight, so they don't fall behind in terms of experience.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Yeah, path finding sucks, there's no way around that one. A big part of figuring the combat system out can come down to personal style, no matter how big backstabs are I've never liked messing around with that approach to combat, but some people love them. I'd say your best bet is to focus on the basics, have an even split between some big meaty front line melee guys and back line magic users, use your mages to buff your melee guys and strip enemy defenses while your melee guys pound enemies down. It can take some time to figure out what buffs work best, haste is always a good idea, while priest spells bless, protection from evil, and chant are decent. Debuffs can get trickier when you try to break down what spells counter what protections, but rule of thumb is a high level character casting dispel magic takes care of most concerns, otherwise it's the breach/pierce magic/ruby ray of reversal/Khelben's warding whip routine.

If you do sort through all that it becomes pretty easy to break the game in half, at which point difficulty mods come in, but if the basic game seems pretty crazy don't feel bad, it took me literally a couple years of trying to figure out how to handle the combat system.
That makes me feel a bit better.

I think you also addressed what might be one of the issues I'm having, which is that I don't use buffs/debuffs. Partially it's because of what you pointed out; that it's a process of figuring out what counters what. The bigger issue is that as far as spells go, I really only use two types: healing and offensive. Occasionally, I'll use something like Web, but I don't use spells like Doom or Hold Person or anything like that, mostly because I assume it won't work or help in most cases. On top of that, when using offensive spells, it's usually spells that attack directly, like Magic Missile or the like. Spells with a AOE I avoid for the most part because it means I'll hit a party member on the front line, or it'll affect the whole party if it's in a small enough area. Like Kenny Logins said, though, it might help to change tactics in order to make those types of spells useful.

When I picked up Aerie, I proceeded to add a ton of spells that I had picked up in Irenicus's dungeon. Looking back, that might have been a mistake, since most of those spells were offensive.

I guess I'll switch out Nalia with Haer Dalis or Keldorn, and try to acquire some more support spells.At this point, I've got about 20,000 gold, which I think is what I need to move to Chapter 3. I think what might help a lot is if I hold off from doing that and try to level up and get some more practice with combat. Maybe then, I'll get a better handle on what I'm dong wrong.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I decided to recruit Haer Dalis, and I did the quest where you save him from the dimensional prison.

The toughest part was defeating the warden. What I did was buff the party with Bless, Chant, Haste and Draw Upon Holy Might, all in conjunction. One thing I hate is that (unless I'm missing something) the game never tells you what enemies are immune to what damage types. The warden was immune to slashing damage, so my fighter couldn't attack him at close range, so I had the whole party attack him with range attacks. It took a few tries, but I finally beat him, only losing Jaheira, who I was able to resurrect right after.

In one attempt, I managed to beat him, but Aerie died and Minsc was petrified. I was able to resurrect Aerie, but before she could undo the petrification on Minsc, he exploded. The reason I bring this up is because I find it odd, since I'm playing on Normal, where perma-death is disabled.

I also have a few annoyances regarding magic: The first is with protection against magic. The majority of spells (at least the ones I have) that protect against magic only extend to the caster, but not to the rest of the party.

Another is how spells don't always seem like they're effective. In the warden fight, I had Aerie try casting Silence, but the was still able to cast spells at me. I checked the log to see if the spell had been interrupted or if the Warden was immune, but I didn't see anything (maybe I missed it.)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Corvinus posted:

Pretty sure he isn't immune to slashing, just that he has Stoneskin and a few other buffs.
I just assumed it was immunity to slashing damage since I was attacking with a Long Sword.

razorrozar posted:

Also he wasn't technically in the party since petrifaction automatically removes the character from the party, hence no 'splode protection. (P sure it's -15 hp.)
Yeah, when Minsc got petrified, his portrait disappeared from the party lineup.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

fong posted:

That's always the case, otherwise if you had no de-petrify spells you could get trapped in areas ("you must gather your party before venturing forth"). Its an engine restriction, basically.

Makes sense.

Some other things I wanted to touch on:
  • I found a site (http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php/Baldur%27s_Gate) that's helped me understand the mechanics a bit better. I was amazed that at Level 21, a Fighter ends up with a THAC0 of 0. If you reach that point, do you manage to hit every time, or does it just balance out with late game enemies that have a high armor class?
  • Since I'm playing BGT, I checked a save from the start of BG2, and I realized that Imoen's class didn't change in the transition from BG1 to BG2. When she rejoins the party, should I dual-class her as a mage, or should she just remain a thief?
  • Right now, I'm thinking about temporarily dropping Yoshimo and replacing him with Jan . The only reason I want to do that is because I plan on getting up the Silver Pantaloons. This walkthrough describes the method to acquire them without losing reputation, and it requires skill in Pick Pocket. Should I stick with that party change? I have to check again, but I think Yoshimo is around Lvl.12, and when you get Jan, he's a Lvl.8 Thief, Lvl. 7 Illusionist.

There were a couple of other things I wanted to bring up or ask about, but I can't remember them all at the moment.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Taliesyn posted:

2) You must have a mod going In BG2, Imoen always starts as a dual-classed thief-mage.
Yeah, like I said, I'm playing the game via BGT (Baldur's Gate Trilogy). There were some other things that carried over as well. I think Minsc's racial enemy in BG2 is supposed to be vampires, but it's still Gnolls, like in BG1. I also think I started at lower level then you would if you had started directly from BG2.

Taliesyn posted:

3) Jan is really good and quite entertaining. He's definitely behind a bit in your game - BG2 really does punish you for switching characters - but if it really bothers you, you can up his xp via either EEKeeper or the console.
I sorta figured I'd have to use the console at some point. Hell, I might do the same with Imoen to make it match with the start of BG2.

My concern at this point is making sure I've got a party that can make through to the end of the game without too much trouble.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I might be changing computers soon, and as a result, I'll probably have to start BG2 over. It's not too big of a deal, since I only made it to the start of the third chapter.

I thought about starting over as a Dwarf Fighter with the highest possible stats in Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution. My thinking was that dwarves get a bonus to their saving throws based on how high their constitution is. I wasn't too sure on the class, though. I considered a Barbarian, since you have a higher damage output (d12 instead of the fighter's d10), and I think the Barbarian's Enrage ability seems like it's better than the Berserker's.

I should point out that I'm playing the original version from GOG, and not the Enhanced Edition. I also should note that up to this point, I've played the game using BGT, so the progress I've made also includes finishing BG1. If I restart, I was just going to install BG2. As far as mods go, I thought about installing the Tweakpack to get things like the Bags of Holding and various convenience tweaks, but I wanted to know if it causes any issues, or has any components that make the game harder.

Last thing I'll ask about is if there's a way I can get back some of the BG1 carryover items back. Mostly I just want to keep the Golden Pantaloons. Will I need one of the programs that have been brought up in the thread, like Shadow Keeper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Maybe I missed it, but is there a reason you don't want to just copy your save file over?

A couple of reasons. The main reason is that I'm using the BGT mod, and my assumption is that a save game wouldn't necessarily work with the new installation (especially since I don't plan to use BGT again; I'm just going to install BG2 alone).

The other reason is that I wanted to try playing a different character that had some better stats. Right now, I'm playing a Human Fighter, but I thought it would make things easier if I tried something different. There's the Dwarf Fighter idea I posted earlier, but I also considered making an Elf character since they get a bonus to swords and bows.

The Iron Rose posted:

No and no. It's compatible with everything and you basically determine the balance (some optional changes skew towards making the game easier).

I just asked because the first time I tried to play the game, I installed everything (BGT, the tweak pack, and I think the Unfinished Business mod). But once I got outside Candlekeep and tried to go somewhere on the map screen, the game would crash. I didn't know what the issue was, so I just reinstalled with the bare minimum (the fixpack and BGT).

Regarding the console, is it possible to alter character stats?