Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Basic Chunnel posted:

Once I was on vacation without access to much of anything beyond long walks, and I was told that the Drizz't books were good, so I bought the trilogy and read the whole thing. I recognized a few pages in that it was not going to get any better than terrible. It was like drinking a gallon of milk, but I was just so bored that I was willing to subject myself to it. All I remember is a good-aligned hook horror that nobly sacrifices itself so that the protagonist might live.

Clacker was awesome :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Playing through Icewind Dale EE for the first time. Played it a bit back in the day but never beat it. The dialogue is fantastic. I love all the snarky responses you can give to the snake cult in Dragon's Eye. Especially when Xunamei is waxing poetic about being a dust mote in the universe or some poo poo and your PC is just like "whoa." It's uncanny how good Black Isle/Obsidian are at writing naturally funny dialogue.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm still too early into Dragonspear to form an opinion but i dig it so far. But I am really really loving the new interface! I really wish they'd finish enhancing the rest of the infinity engine games but I feel like they are not going to do Icewind Dale 2 and Planescape because of how different the underlying game systems are.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Not sure I get all the complaints about this feeling like fan fiction. I'm loving it so far. It's the same cheesy/hammy fantasy adventure it's always been and I love the interface changes. I'm a huge fan of this expansion so far!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Woolie Wool posted:

I'll try again later. I just defeated Demogorgon in BG2 and had an easier time of it than many ordinary encounters in IWD.

Get your thief's "lay traps" skill at least over 50, the you can lay 6-7 traps in one area at a time. When you walk into a hard area, keep reloading, resting, trap laying, saving, reloading, etc, then trigger the encounter again. It's tedious but can make some fights way less frustrating.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pwnstar posted:

Hahaha there's literally a line where Minsc says "its actually about ethics in heroic adventuring" I'm dying, I'm dead.

I just got to a part where Minsc gives a pep talk to a goblin, and I think I got a little dust in my eye.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I know most folks here won't endorse Salvatore's work, but if you haven't read the Sellsword Trilogy, you should. The Cleric Quintet is also quite a good read.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rollersnake posted:

Sooo, uh, SoD is good then, and all the extremely negative reviews are just manchildren throwing a collective tantrum about whatever they imagine social justice to be? Good to know. :stonk:

I'm very pleased so far with SoD. It was well worth my money and I'm considering getting the collectors edition.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

bongwizzard posted:

I Really want to get SoD but like, making an xpac for a game who's enduring life is largely due to moding, that then breaks those mods is wildly lame.

I mean, I will buy it soon because I want it to do well so I get more IE games, but I aint installing it. :smugbert:

Maybe i'm in the minority, but as a gamer who has been playing this series for almost 18 years, modding has never concerned me. The games were NEVER intended to be modded like Elder Scrolls games or NWN games are. The only mods i've ever used are things like widescreen mods and mods to make some UI elements better like ammo stacks. I have used ZERO mods with the EE versions and don't plan to. It just feels wrong to hate on a game because it breaks content that was never officially sanctioned, and the EE team actually put effort into keeping these games moddable, when the original were never intended to be. Meanwhile, Skyrim routinely broke mods with every patch, and many of use had to wait around for several weeks sometimes while the mods we used were updated. Yet we never complained because we knew what we were getting into.

And this post may hit the wrong notes, and maybe I have no right to complain about an issue simply because it doesn't affect me. But i'm also a little butthurt by all the negative reviews this game is getting. These lovely reviews will quite likely mean NO BG3 or whatever other content Beamdog had planned to make. And with Gaider on board, I feel they were going to make more content.

Ugh, I'm actually embarrased I wrote this much about dumb video game stuff. Carry on.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sorcerer all the way.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

insanityv2 posted:

Whats the point of my sitting there and rolling for perfect stats if stats dont matter?

Having a fun class to play? :shrug:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nostalgamus posted:

Alright, I forgot what I'm supposed to do avoid everyone dying to Aec'Letec the moment he gives them a funny look. Any advice?

I've never beaten that fight, even on normal diff. gently caress that fight so hard. You can stack the odds in your favor with magic protect scrolls and what not and it's still down to luck. The game won't even let you pre-emptively trap the poo poo out of the area.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So with the new interface, are you goons using the new sprite outline feature or not? I can't decide what looks better or even what the point of the outlines are.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Gotta say some of these new maps in Dragonspear are gorgeous! Loving where I'm at now, which is basically "infinity engine black reach!"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kavak posted:

I'd love to see how that was supposed to work. "I am a higher level than loving Elminster, why am I in an adventurer academy?"

Afaik, the campaign was the last thing completed, and more to show off the toolset than to highlight any real story telling.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rookersh posted:

The game is currently unplayable anyways if you have higher then Win7.

The character creator/editor crashes the game half the time, and even when it works you can't see your character.

You have to make a choice early on if you want to leave environmental effects on ( which causes everyone in the game to look like the silver surfer ), or turn them off ( which causes all water in the game to disappear, and for you to crash every once and awhile when it loads zones with water.

Both of these things also break a number of main quest scripts in all three of the main campaigns, making it so you can't actually finish the main campaigns.

And mind you, this is with the patched GoG version, and they've mentioned multiple times when people complain on the forums they have no intention of touching the game further.

Game is busted no matter what. Best case scenario is it gets "Enhanced" in such a way that they fix those issues, but leave the engine untouched enough old mods and whatnot carryover.

I can play both nwn 1 and 2 on 64 Windows 8.1 with zero issues with either. These are the GOG versions. How are they unplayable?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

H13 posted:

Right, so BG:EE wasn't sitting right with me. So I reinstalled BG:TuTu and Widescreen (which is now completely painless due to EasyTuTu)

Here's a screenshot comparison.

(Look at them full-screen)

Now I'm going to acknowledge straight up that I've got massive rose-coloured glasses for BG. Any slight change is something I'm going to notice and get irrationally lovely about, but BG:EE just doesn't look as good to me. The graphics don't look as sharp in general.

The big thing for me is the sprites. They don't look like they're part of the same environment and seem lower resolution. Plus the animation is really jerky on my system even though their movement is smooth.

I acknowledge 100% that the difference is very slight. Hell I'm expecting half the people here to tell me I'm crazy and that there's no difference at all (although you have to notice the sprites. Hell maybe it's just the sprites which are throwing me off). I just don't understand why it looks different at all?

Try turning off the "sprite outline" in the graphics options.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rookersh posted:

Um how? Care to post an exact computer setup? Drivers up to date? Any wrapper based programs lying around that might be getting used by NWN1 mysteriously?

The immediate issues are in order.

- The character creator doesn't display the character model. Sometimes it'll crash with most people assuming it's from the unloaded model.

- As soon as you enter the game, the character will show up, but all NPCs will be the silver surfer. To fix this, you need to turn environmental effects off, which also removes all water from the game. This causes the game to crash sometimes when entering areas with water.

- The framerate can't get above 15-20 frames per second for some people. This isn't an everyone thing though.

- A number of scripts in the Luskan invasion don't trigger, meaning you can't beat the OC. A number of scripts in Act 1/2 of both Shadows/Hordes don't trigger, meaning you can't progress in either module.

Those are the biggest ones that hit seemingly everyone on the GoG forums. I don't know if more show up after that. When was the last time you played? When did you buy the games? Last time I tried playing NWN was shortly after they launched GoG Galaxy, since it looked like it also got patched, and I was hoping they might have finally fixed some of the issues.

e: I'm redownloading NWN, ya'll best not be lying to me. I want to play some NWN now.

All my drivers are up to date and kept up to date. No wrappers, nothing. Zero issues. I have an intel I5-3470 clocked at 3.6 GHz, 16 gigs of ram, a gtx 970, and running the game from my 1TB ssd. The only things I can think of that might help are that I have "run as admin" checked under compatibility options, and I do not run this game (or any game) from program files. I have a separete /games folder for all my gaming. I can turn the graphics all the way up and play this game with zero issues. I actually just fired it up today. The last time i truly played was maybe 8 months ago, and I got all the way to the 3rd chapter of the game. Also zero issues with either of the two main expansions. The only thing I don't do is have any custom mods or modules installed, since I only wanted to play the main campaigns. Not sure how helpful this will be.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

H13 posted:

That's with it off.

It looks worse with it on. I didn't want to be a HUGE dick about things...

I'm gonna stick with TuTu.

It IS a bit blurry. Maybe try using the "alternate renderer" in graphics settings? It looks like the Open GL renderer is applying a bi-linear filter to the game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

rakovsky maybe posted:

BG fully modded is still far superior to the EEs.

What would you consider fully modded, and what mods to consider? I may reinstall a tutu setup or something to compare.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So which writer's idea was it that the word "redblooding" was cool and needed to be used by every loving talkable NPC in the realms!? Because it got old really fast.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Milky Moor posted:

"So I kicked him in the head 'till he was dead, ha ha ha ha!"

That actually never got old for me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

In case anyone is on the fence or curious how much game this expansion adds, I'm at 27 hours now and still going. I've missed/skipped some things to. They didn't exaggerate about playtime!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is it explained at all what exactly Caelar's crusade was about? I get her end goal, I don't understand how her rampaging through the Sword Coast helped that though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

She took Dragonspear Castle and then attempted to get more crusaders/resources for the job, is my understanding of it. Don't see anything obviously wrong with that, though it lacks punch compared to other grandiose fantasy plans, so I can see why it might be confusing at first.

So what was all the looting and pillaging about?

Edit: Finished! A very fun expansion. I truly hope this isn't the end of Baldur's Gate content.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Woolie Wool posted:

Well SoD has left me in a bit of a pickle. The only good mage available is Edwin...who absolutely will not travel with Minsc this time. Dynaheir's so far behind that I probably can't even afford all the scrolls she'd need. God damnit.

E: This is so annoying I just used the console to force the issue. Now to dispose of Dynaheir...

I beat it with Dynaheir just fine, not sure I see the issue?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Ninth Layer posted:

Is there any way to set auto-run in PS:TEE? Holding shift to move is a bit inconvenient and doesn't seem to work all that well in combat where it's nearly essential to catch some fleeing enemies. Plus I have caught myself opening up the Steam popup by pressing Tab to scout items while Shift-clicking to move around.

Can't you just tap "R" for perma run?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

john donne posted:

I have, as well as uninstalled-and-then-reinstalled, no dice. I wonder if the game is keeping some weird moddy stuff around outside the install directory? Either way, it seems like I can resolve it via EEKeeper.

Were it me, I'd uninstall, delete any folders in my documents tied to the install and reinstall to a diff directory.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is there any reasonable explanation or fix for why Planescape Enhanced is super duper pixelated? I fired up the original on GOG, and if you zoom in to the level that the original is displayed at, the game looks like it's from super nintendo era. Of course zoomed out it looks fine, but i'd hardly call it a graphical improvement because I can get better graphic fidelity just using the original plus widescreen mod. The other released enhanced editions don't seem to have this issue.

Edit: nevermind, using the "compatible renderer" makes it smooth and much less pixelated. Nice!

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 3, 2017

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How do people in the thread like Temple of Elemental Evil? It seems like a turn based version of Icewind Dale 2 and has a charm about it. I've only done the tutorial and a bit of questing in Hommlet so far though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Vargatron posted:

I keep forgetting that find traps occurs only every 6 seconds or so and keep getting Alora exploded in Durlag's Tower.

Durlag's is the classic case of "inch by inch" dungeon crawl. Still my favorite dungeon from all the infinity engine games.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

funmanguy posted:

Ctrl+j is mandatory for me. Pillars is soooooo much nicer with all of the qol improvements in the engine.

Pillars had made it drat hard to go back to Baldurs Gate.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The EE, to me, puts the previous game builds to shame. It's awesome, I love them so much. I'd love a physical collectors edition of ALL the BG series with a big rear end updated Volo manual and a concept art book and maps.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

This just in, level 21 Rasaad with just his fists is a god drat murder beast. I'm using Gauntlets of Crushing with him: his thaco is -10 and his damage is 15-34. He's also unarmored and still has a AC of -6! :D

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Suspicious posted:

By the time you're level 21, if your AC isn't at least -15 then it might we well be +1000.

Does that apply for a monk? He's level 21 and most of my party is up to 6 levels behind him.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

MonsterEnvy posted:

No Ankhegs are not sentient.

New thread title.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Killsion posted:

Having played BG1 and 2 through BGT a few years ago, I recently got a sudden urge to play through the series again after stumbling onto the Mages and Murderdads podcast, but this time with the EE versions, including SoD. Being the idiot I am I never grabbed it during the summer sale, and so now I'm faced with the predicament of dumping 53 bucks or to wait until the next sale in about 2 months.

Regardless, the goal of the EE runs will be to play an evil party, using Dorn, Viconia, Edwin, Shar-teel DCed into a thief, and lastly either Kagain or Baeloth, with the PC also being a blackguard for BG1, and Dorn, Viconia, Edwin, Hexxat, Sarevok, for BG2. Would a party with two blackguards be a bad idea? I also heard they seem to have nerfed the poison weapon ability significantly since launch, so I'm slightly questioning this now.

Also general evil party advice would be helpful, as I'm well aware the "evil" choices very often result in poor rewards, so particular quests you never want to miss out on, etc would be appreciated.

It's all worth the money. EE editions were like the 4th time I bought the games and SoD is awesome. It's all awesome. And you're awesome too!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

IKillForPie posted:

Question here for everyone (sorry if it's been answered before in the thread but I just found this post and don't feel like shuffling through 400 pages). I have been a long time fan of BG and BG2 and have been strongly considering buying an iPad Mini or older gen iPad to play this game on. However, with that being said I actually own the original physical hard copies of BG, Icewind Dale and BG2.

So I guess my question is how well have the games ported over or should I just install the games on my older desktop computer? Basically I have a ton of "points" saved up on my visa card and have enough to make a large purchase for a new apple product (which is something I've been considering long before I realized there were versions of this game available in the app store), or a refurbished iPad. Part of my disinterest to play the games over was the need to play on my old desktop computer. Realistically I could buy a cheap laptop and possibly install it on there, but the thought of a new iPad is pretty appealing.

Can you play the game on the iPad without a mouse/stylis? Do you need a keyboard? How is the battery drain playing on a plane for example or a road trip? How big is the game once downloaded, does it take up a lot of space on the hard drive? Does the game work on a mini or should I get a full size iPad?

As for the game itself, is there anything majorly significant in the enhanced editions making these worthwhile to buy over trying to patch the game from the original cds?

Theoretically I wouldn't even need to patch the original game except I would really want to be able to get the game resolution a bit more crisp.

I guess I'm wondering your guys thoughts as hardcore fans of the game. Is it worth having the newer editions of the game with updated patches/graphics rather than try and install the original cds? Also, if anyone is interested I would possibly be willing to sell the original copies of the game for cheap with the full player manuals and maps/extras which came with all the original games I'll maybe post pictures of everything later if anyone is actually interested, I have all the maps, manuals, reference guides, cds, etc.

I don't have an iPad, but the enhanced editions are head and shoulders better than the originals on PC and worth the money. At least they are to me. It's far beyond just a super modded version. Even a well modded BG trilogy install will never run as smooth as the enhanced editions and mouse zoom is awesome and I can't live without it. Another bonus; the enhanced editions seem to adjust well to any resolution. I have a 2560x1080 curved monitor, and they work flawlessly on it. If you modded Original BG to run that resolution , it'd be super tiny.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

IKillForPie posted:

This is good information thanks! Since I found the cds collecting dust at my parents place a week+ ago I've been itching to play the game again but hesitant to install it from the originals. Are the DLCs inside the games worth the extra cash?

The PC versions include the DLC. There's a $2 portrait pack that just came out. And also of course then midquel "Siege of Dragonspear," which is about $20 and has another 25 or so hours of game in between BG1 and 2. Very worth it IMO. You can take or leave the portrait pack; I bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

IKillForPie posted:

I noticed on steam there is a $91 full bundle pack which comes with all the expansions and DLCs. Probably would just go with that if I wanted to commit fully to my past obsession lol

That is a lot of money; shouldn't cost that much. I think that includes soundtracks, so if you didnt want those it'll save you money to remove them.