Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Does anyone have any suggestions for Ironman thread titles? I'll be making the thread on Monday, so there's still a few days to go.

And I never use Minsc because he can't use wands, so he's rubbish. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is there a thread or some other place folks are going to get together to share Baldur's Gate Ironman runs? Because I'd be down to die at level one and post about it.

Yeah, I’ll post it in Lets Play on Monday morning, and link it in this thread.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
So, I've been thinking a bit about some of the optional encounters in the BG games, and I'm thinking of adding a couple of new honours to the list this year. One for killing Drizz't, one for killing the green dragon and the 2 liches in SoD, and one for the Twisted Rune. They're all extra challenges, like Kangaxx, and he's got one so it seems appropriate.

As for names, I've got the following, but if anyone has any better ideas, they're more than welcome.

Lolth Be Praised: Kill Drizzt
Big Game Hunter: Kill the Green Dragon and both Liches in Siege of Dragonspear
Untwisted: Destroy the Twisted Rune

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Sadly, the Irenicus quote wouldn't quite fit, but the 2023 Ironman thread is now live.

Good luck to everyone. Will we see another Irongod this year? Its been 2 years since the last one, and 4 years since one without removing the XP cap. I certainly hope we see it.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Rythian posted:

And in a later patch they added some extra stuff:

The weapon import was changed again at some point. Malaaq now has the Sword of Chaos again, and the imported weapon is placed in the room with the Sewage Golem on the 1st floor.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Holy poo poo. I thought learning that Arrows of Detonation can't miss from the Ironman thread was going to be the last new thing for a while, but it took two weeks for something else. Amazing.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Given that Horror is both known by just about every enemy mage, and more importantly, actually good enough in BG1 to be dangerous, Resist/Remove Fear is basically mandatory. So cast it before fights, then again when it runs out. All your morale problems are 100% solved.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

DeadButDelicious posted:

Bit of a dumb question but it's always confused me: Bracers of Archery: The Dale's Protector gives THAC0: +2 with missile weapons. Does that include bows/slings/crossbows or does it only apply to thrown weapons like daggers and darts? I always slap them on an archer-type in BG1 but I have a gnawing doubt that I've been doing it wrong all these years!

Don't worry, you've been doing it right. They work with all missile weapons, so if its ranged, you get the +2 bonus.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
A Berserker gets helmets for no critical hits and on demand immunity to basically every bad status effect that never goes obsolete vs. an extra couple of points of Thac0 and damage for Kensai that is irrelevant by Saradush at the absolute latest, and potentially even before Bodhi if you go to Watcher's Keep in SoA. Its a real brain teaser this one isn't it.

Kensai is utter shite, go Berserker every time. Dual at level 9, you get your Fighter levels back at 500,000 XP, which is really early in SoA even with a party, or late Siege of Dragonspear if you've got that DLC.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 1, 2023

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
6 fireballs from wands or the very good but inexplicably common necklace of missiles (Its called 'The One Gift Lost' but there's at least 5 of them in BG1) going off at once deals with that encounter easily.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Assuming all hardest settings, SCS beholders with a full install are actually surprisingly consistent, in my experience. The highest level spawned group is always two gauths and 3 beholders. They can't do anything to you if you go in fully buffed (Death Ward, Chaotic Commands, Protection from Lightning, Protection from Magic Energy and Free Action makes you immune to everything both gauths and non-elder orbs can do) until the first Anti-Magic Ray, which almost always takes a full round to occur because the beholder AI has to learn, for lack of a better word, that you're immune to all their rays. You can usually kill one before this.

On the hardest settings, Anti-Magic Ray not only stops your spellcasting but also blocks all magic regardless of its source from affecting the target for 1 round. This includes other beholders, so paradoxically despite having no protective buffs you're actually completely safe for that round. You can still use physical attacks, and beholders are not exactly hard to hit in melee and have relatively low HP, so you can at least injure, if not kill another one.

Once Anti-Magic Ray wears off, immediately use an Invisibility potion and retreat to rebuff. Repeat until every beholder is dead. Only Hive Mothers can see through Invisibility naturally, and there's only 4 in the entire game I think, and thats including the one SCS adds to the Underdark hive.

Alternatively, if you want a really cheesy way to beat them though, use a Protection from Magic scroll. It blocks literally everything they can do, except the Anti-Magic Ray from Hive Mothers. Every other type is completely helpless against them, except in the very unlikely case of an Elder Orb getting Spellstrike in its randomly generated spell list.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah you could probably brute force them if you're buffed up and quick before they dispel you enough to hurt you. I've gotten used to doing it with Skeleton Warriors because I was Ironmanning a lot the last time I played and that's by far the safest way to handle them.

It's funny that whether you're playing vanilla or SCS cheese is still the answer to Beholders. I think the problem is BG throws a lot of them at you and I don't think dnd intended to do that. They have so many abilities that fighting a pack of them is just nasty.

Do SCS beholders use their death ray on summons? I've never considered skeleton warriors as an option because I just assumed that death ray goes right through their MR. It should do, like Death Spell does with summons, but I've never got around to trying them.

I know vanilla beholders don't use their rays against summons, but they do have *exactly* 1 cast of Death Spell that they will use immediately if they see a summon, but then do nothing else. Its the most trivial thing in the world to bait out with a nymph or something once you know about it. Vanilla BG2 is weird.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 4, 2023

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

bike tory posted:

I don't think anyone answered this but it's me, Ive tried legacy of bhaal difficulty. I'm perhaps not the best to ask about it because I didn't actually finish BG2, but it's not very fun imo. Even killing the most basic enemies becomes a real chore because of how much AC and HP they have. You're forced to rely very heavily on summons, which get all the same buffs as enemies, and on harder group fights I found myself basically just save scumming until I landed some crucial disables.

SCS and ascension change the difficulty in a much more interesting way.

I've also tried lob (Mostly a vanilla run with a custom multiplayer party of 6, but with the IWD spells from SCS) and I completely agree. Its not much fun tbh, and is literally just summon wand spam forever in BG1 and SoD. The early parts of BG2 are heaven for fire elementals and skeleton warriors, and if you have IWD spells and a Druid, the fantastic Stalker spell gives you 2 shambling mounds. These are incredibly tanky and can even beat Iron and Adamantite Golems in a fight if they're hasted. It goes without saying that the HLA summons are astonishingly strong with the lob buffs. I avoided them in my run for that reason, except against Demogorgon. I was also shocked by how badly the vanilla BG2 mage AI cheats constantly, its incredibly blatant about it as well. I got bored after beating Sendai and Abazigal, it started crashing a lot in ToB.

That said, it wasn't all bad, and there were some genuine highlights in the run.

I found a way of petrifying the same basilisk over and over again, getting a massive boost to my XP in early BG1.
Turning Belhifet into a squirrel and then one-shotting him with Magic Missile.
Drizz't in BG2 actually benefiting from the lob buffs (Unlike in BG1, where he's already the strongest thing in the game by a huge margin so the buffs are irrelevant) and becoming a fantastic challenge to beat as a result, even with a massively OP party by then.
Demogorgon was incredible, an actually difficult and long fight and it standing toe to toe with 6 demigods and 2 summoned Devas was amazing. It actually felt like I was fighting a genuine god. 10/10.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 10, 2023

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think the golems in the planar sphere core are a random fog of war spawn, of all things. At least I clearly remember wandering back and forth to check for treasure containers before triggering anything, and as I doubled back to the plot mouth, they were just suddenly there.

They trigger if you walk over a certain part of the pathway. I'm not sure exactly where, but the bgwiki says "there is a trigger area on a platform in the corridor leading right from the chamber entrance," which is true, but still impressively vague given that there's 2 entrances to the room. :v:

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 16, 2023

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Oh thats good news, 34.3 was beginning to show its age and was quite buggy.

The Innate Sequencers/Contingencies component being back is great too, no more save-scumming before going upstairs in the Five Flagons Inn to get an almost impossibly rare Spell Trigger scroll before Saradush. Its not the only place you can get random level 8 scrolls from containers, but its close.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

DeadButDelicious posted:

I don't actually know how fast they can get. According to the wiki they get +2 movement as the base and a further +1 every five levels, meanwhile boots of speed just give you +200% movement speed and I can't find where on the wiki it explains how much + movement that is. :shrug:

The base movement speed is 9, so a monk should be at double movement rate (The same as Boots of Speed) by the end of ToB.

Monks are the worst class in the game, their only rival for that is the Shaman. I'm not sure how this is Beamdog's fault though, they've always been bad since the original release of BG2.

Luckily, unmodded BG2 on Core rules is a very easy game, so even a Monk will steamroll the game with no issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Oh right, I forgot about Ioun Stones losing their crit immunity. Absolutely crippling for the more fragile classes.