Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

How much magic in general is a good idea for BG2? In BG1 I ran one arcane, one divine, and four martial characters, which matches my Pillars party.
It's good to have at least 1 1/2 casters of both Divine and Arcane on top of having a couple of tanky characters and a thief.

At least for the base, non-EE game:

Full divine is like Cernd (single-class Druid which is a bit weak), Viconia (-2 rep on joining, but she's a good Cleric!), and Anomen (eventually solid as a cleric).
Half divine is Jaheira (although she accelerates quickly due to Druids having good experience progression until double-figure levels) and Aerie (she's okay).
Minsc, Keldorn, Mazzy, and Valygar can all do a bit of healing, if not a ton, as can a Good/Neutral PC.

Full arcane is Imoen but you don't get her for a while, Nalia (annoying) and Edwin (best mage full stop)
Half arcane is Aerie, Jan, and Haer'Dalis. Haer'Dalis is slightly tricky to actually obtain but he's a fun guy to have around.
Valygar can do a bit, as can an Evil PC (Horror on a near-instant cast is fantastically powerful)

In terms of thieves you basically have Yoshimo (full thief, trash as a result), Jan (serviceable but very annoying) and Nalia/Imoen (total money sinks in terms of needing potions to do her job as well as being annoying). Pick your poison.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Berserker Rage is totally handy even with Divine magic. You will never have enough casting slots on your priests to protect your whole party from all of the status ailments it prevents and also have them heal, summon, and so on. Having even one character who can dodge a lot of that stuff as well as tank with solid HP is a big deal.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

I can go buy more. It's not like they're expensive.
There's like 3 in the game, no?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

Are bards useful, and if so, what would be a good way to build a bard? I might play IWD after I finish ToB and I was thinking of trying a party with a bard (and probably swap out the typical D&D tank cleric with one of the squishier buff-bot cleric kits from the Faiths and Powers mod). It might actually give me a reason not to install the disable identification tweak.
I'd say you should run IWD the first time unmodded, it has quite a bit going for it just as it stands. It's also completely different to BG2 in terms of the frequency and hardness of mage fights (there's like none really), and there's like a billion fuckin undead everywhere for most of the game, so having your party tank as a Ranger with Spectral Undead as a racial enemy is kind of useful.

If you're swapping out anything for a bard I'd say a second arcane strong mage is pretty unnecessary, so like Ranger/Druid/Cleric/Mage/Bard/Thief would work alright.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

CobiWann posted:

So my next question...to use backstab, should I put points into Move Silently, Hide in Shadows, or both?
I think HiS affects your chance to get into stealth at all but I may be completely wrong, so go for that first?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Wizard Styles posted:

I think the biggest issue with the EE is dual-wielding; there are so many good buff spells that two dual-wielding fighter types just start tearing through everything. Some of the spells ported over from BG2 probably aren't great for game balance either, but I don't even remember when the game gives those to you. Archers may be a bit OTT.
Anyway, you could always just use some of the weaker kits.
I mean it's very playable, it's just a bit easy. The original was regarded as being hard as nails as the time, but then people hadn't worked out all the ways to game the infinity engine at that point, and the character progression is more standardised and linear than BG by a mile (for example, no dumb wilderness with 10,000 xp basilisks). Actually flows better as a result, though.

Also unlike BG not every quest-important character in IWD is actually labelled with a real name, so do make sure to talk to everyone neutral.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

They couldn't get the Shakespearean English correct and kept confusing "thou", "thee", and "thy".

Also I've cleared two levels of Kesserack's Tomb in IWD and holy poo poo is this game brutal, even with kits.
I'm sure like German cases nowadays people did at the time too, who cares.

Also yes, IWD is good, and hard.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

No, people are not stupid and are perfectly capable of understanding grammar, it's just that the writer didn't bother to look anything up, much like the the bizarre Olde English phrases and words in the player's dialogue options that come and go and were thankfully entirely removed for BG2.
Go to Germany today and see how many people are interested in getting their michs versus mirs in order (t'ain't many). Then transplant that back to early modern days when everyone was drunk all the time because the water made you sick if it wasn't boiled :v:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Xan is at the end of the Nashkel Mines. He's an Enchanter and thus has the opposite problem of Dynaheir in that he doesn't get any Evocation spells, so no Magic Missiles, no Fireballs, etc.
He's also incredibly annoying.

Honestly I'd make your PC a mage of some kind, BG2 has very few good mages (and the good aligned ones are all extremely loving grating), and arcane magic rules the roost given the crazy amount of mage fights.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

Is there an way to lower reputation in BG2 without causing too much trouble? I want to do a couple of the quests in Trademeet to get some better equipment, but I don't want my Reputation to get too high, otherwise Edwin will end up leaving the party.
Nope. Also when you're in Trademeet, big hint here, side with the guy in the dumb dispute (this will make sense when it happens) so that his NPC doesn't disappear from the game. Then if you do the "right" thing you can go kill him later for his unique and excellent chain mail that you can cast spells in (my last game I sided with the chick and was kicking myself about it since my MC is a F/M).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kavak posted:

Aww, Ctrl-Y doesn't work on Bodhi when you first meet her.

Murdering a man complicit in burying ransom victims alive costs me 6 Reputation points? He was unarmed and running for his life, but still that should be like 1 or 2 tops.
Let me tell you about somehow losing about 15 loving reputation or something by killing Nalia's smug aunt and trying to bring about a dictatorship of the farmertariat.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kavak posted:

Why does the vampire guild try to kill you, anyway? Irenicus needs you alive, and if Bodhi ends up responsible for your death he's probably going to tear her to pieces then use Imoen's soul for his plan. Sure, fight back when your base is under attack, but going out of your way to strike at Charname could easily backfire. I can't tell if this is a plot hole from the original draft or just a genre assumption.
They have infiltrators in all the main temples who skim off the top of every (Lesser) Restoration transaction in Athkatla.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Mordaedil posted:

A lot of people think themselves Judge Dredd when playing these games, huh?
It is crucial for the development of a true proletarian consciousness in the Forgotten Realms that a vanguard of Bhaalspawn free the bonded peasantry using revolutionary violence, which is the only unambiguous form of resistance to the chauvinistic oppression of an uncaring landlord-bourgeois ruling combine that has held back Faerϋn too long.

The Communist Party of Athkatla (Marxist-Lord of Destructionist) is the fulcrum of all true potential for the so called "lesser orders" to rise up once we rid them of the most powerful geas of all, the geas of their own browbeaten 'consent'.

:ussr:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Mordaedil posted:

I tend to play these games forgetting that there is a force attack feature and I think the developers also forgot about it, so I can't recommend using it.
95% or so of the quests in BG are basically "I need you to go here and hit this guy with a sword, I guess you could negotiate or whatever but violence is either plan A or B", I think that's more what they were talking about.

I mean answering Nalia's dumb loving aunt with violence is totally an option in the quest, it just drops you 2 rep plus some more for killing someone 'innocent', which caused my party, including Jaheira who previously had my back on the issue, to totally spaz out.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kavak posted:

Man they nerfed the gently caress out of arrows in BG II, but bolts and bullets are unaffected. What gives?
Archer class.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Way too easy on "anything resembling reasonable settings", not way too easy on "anything but solo Insane/HoF/Ironman" which doesn't sound inaccurate for someone who's good at the game (system). I don't see why you need to villainize someone doing a cool thread!
The original was hard as nails when it came out, the EE version adds too many options that just break the game wide open.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Wizard Styles posted:

I'm no longer sure about that. In my current playthrough I'm not having anyone dual-wield, and I've got a Monk in the party which is pretty much playing with a handicap. I'm not having a lot of trouble. The prologue cave (so many Ogres) and parts of Dragon's Eye were rough but still, the only death so far was a friendly fire incident caused by a catastrophically misaimed Lightning Bolt.
I think I remember the spell selections being a bit tighter in non-EE IWD. Might be wrong on that, though?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Does Baldur's Gate 2 allow you to pick a Kit for your main Character if they're multiclassing? Like Assassin/ etc..
No. Gnomes get X/Illusionist multiclasses, though.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Uh is it possible to get negative Thac0?

I know that sounds dumb unless it means the game will adjust rolls for you, IE: You have -1 Thac0 so your roll of 19 is now a 20.
It's not that dumb, you run into stuff that's in the -AC numbers. Like if you're attacking something with -8AC, having a THAC0 of -3 means you still need a 5 to hit it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm also going to defend BG1's plot. I won't go into detail here because clearly there are people who haven't played it, but I think that the progression of the critical path and the slow revelations about the antagonist's motivations are quite compelling. Also, because a normal game of BG1 with a lot of exploring takes months of in-game time, it makes perfect sense that all of that intrigue would need weeks and weeks to unfold. In short, I think that BG1's plot is woefully underappreciated and that if one really takes time to drink it in, it's logical and satisfying.
A logical, satisfying plot about a resource shortage that doesn't affect the game in any way, even after months, and the central villain shows up in a place where everyone spends all day jerking off about books but can't work out a very simple anagram, lol

e: BG1 is alright in the rave but BG2: SoA is probably the best CRPG ever so just play that.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Well, except for things made of iron breaking
Wow my non magical sword that is basically free sometimes breaks.

Nothing happens to the agriculture of the area, prices don't even actually go up over time, it's a non-event.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I don't think those are reasonable expectations
Yeah why would the plot influence the game at all, that would be awful.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's not like the plot of BG2 changes in any way depending on how long you take. "Yep, going to sleep outside suldanessellar for six months I hope nothing happens inside in that time"
Yeah, it's one of my very few beefs about BG2!

quote:

How many RPGs change the world based on how long you take with the main quest
Mass Effect 2, sorta? Not a huge RPG fanboy so I'm sure there've been more than that.

But I mean if literally all they did was somewhat put the prices up based on an amount-of-days-passed trigger (which is presumably possible inside the infinity engine?) that would've been something?

Doesn't seem that absurd, and I don't know how you could spend anything more than a couple of in-game months in BG1 before you're completely tooled up and outrageously wealthy to the point that a longsword costing 250 gold or crossbow bolts costing 50 gold for 10 wouldn't be an obvious sign that the economy was breaking down but unlikely to end your run, especially with bandits carrying both.

Maybe if you went to Werewolf Island for half a year or whatever it even is, upon coming back there might be an NPC or two shouting at the mayor about their scythes breaking and when are we going to see the end of all this etc. etc. in the next town you visit. That kind of thing. Little tokens of this story around you.

The plot is driven by an economic crisis that doesn't actually do anything. Doesn't ruin the game by any means but it's a weakness of it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing some of you have played Temple of Elemental Evil; my question is "does it ever get anything less than hard as nails and sort of inconsistent about what is and isn't an animal".

Maybe it's just a still being level 2 thing but the combat feels really really dicey even with the meagre buffs I can put on people.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

bike tory posted:

Sorcs need one spell at each level as follows (in order from 1-9): 1- magic missille
You spelled "chromatic orb" all hosed up

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Think it's some directdraw thing there is a direct fix for in the install folder IIRC, I had that when I fired 'er up.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Krowley posted:

I tried reinstalling setup-ddrawfix.exe but it didn't work
I think there's one called IE-Ddrawfix or something?

I definitely remember deleting something, too.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Antti posted:

NWN2 isn't an Infinity game but this thread seems the most suitable for this question:

I've started NWN2 twice now since release and both times I've gotten bogged down in the first city you end up in. I've almost certainly lost the save games from both attempts. I tried googling around but is there a tool I can use to edit a new save game so that I can skip the early parts of a new game? Or would I be better off starting in MotB and just playing that, since that's the part everyone seems to love? How much will the story in MotB suffer from that?

Or would there be a way to thread the needle, a cheat engine like thing that lets me just point at enemies and make them blow up so I can fly through the OC?
MotB pays basically no attention whatsoever to the OC and you can make a new high level character to start it. In fact, I actually recommend doing so instead traipsing around caves for hours.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Sanzuo posted:

Hi everyone. Playing BG:EE on a solo run and gotten further than I've ever gotten before. Playing a Half-Orc Assassin and most of the game has been a breeze so far on core rules.

But now I'm at the finale with Sarevok and the greater dopplegangers. I'm not sure how to get through this part since if I do my usual evade-backstab, the dopplegangers kill the duke guy and it's game over. I'm not tough enough for a stand up fight it seems.

I've been doing a lot of reloading and with the right RNG i might succeed, but I'd rather use a more legitimate strategy than save-scumming.

Any advice?
traps? can you do traps? Seems like you're going to be hosed for the actual finale if you can't do this fight tbh

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
IWD2 is alright in the rave but it's a bit too much of the same all the time. Also the Infinity Engine is not actually a terribly good combat engine and is certainly no good for navigation.

If there was more party interaction, even just kinda boilerplate stuff for different "personality types" you could set at creation, that would help it a long way, because there is an awful lot of snow and quite a lot of cave to meander through sometimes casting spells without much else going down.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fruits of the sea posted:

Was this any fun?

Playing a square peg=round hole Witless One sounds like it could be pretty funny. Not sure if the game takes low int into account like Fallout and Arcanum though.
No it just makes the game not very thematic and you lose out on about a jillion XP.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Also if you were strictly playing by the most original rear end rules, 9th level fighters had the opportunity to bring along:

- A 7th level Leader
- up to 120 level 0 troops
- 10-30 level 1/2 fighters or 1/1 elven mage-fighters.

Which is quite a lot more useful than an extra half attack or whatever they got in BG.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

I just feel like you're not given the tools to handle a lot of the lower level encounters. Once you hit around level 4 things really start taking off. If you let a caster get off something like fear or confuse, it basically fucks the whole party up.

It could just be that I'm not good at the game, but it's not really fun when a kobold one shots a caster in the back row with a regular bow and arrow.
Bard is a particularly weak choice, but even for them you can cast Armor to seriously mitigate kobold shots; so long as you have 18 dex that'll put you pretty close to AC 0.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
You running any mods?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fruits of the sea posted:

The original campaign gets better as it goes along.
Eh.

It starts off pretty well, the city is quite fun, and then you get into cave quagmire hell before it all goes a bit snooky loopy in the long-delayed second act.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

The Iron Rose posted:

Quick question : my girlfriend is playing bgee having never played the original abs despite modding the hell out of these games ages ago I cannot for the life of me recall whether or not you need the BGII fix pack for bg1ee. I know the tweak pack works just fine however.

Also any basic tips for her? The beforeiplay wiki is super sparse.
Reroll your character until it has about 90 points, always take 18 dex, and stack up on bows. Quicksave before entering inns.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Entropy238 posted:

Playing through NWN has made me wonder wtf Wizards of the Coast were smoking when they created 3E Clerics:

– Implosion (Best AoE Death Spell in the game, +3 DC Bonus, Works on Death Immune and Mind Immune)
– Holy Word, no save AoE party friendly blind
– Heal and Mass Heal
– Harm
– Can increase BAB to level of fighter with one spell
– Massive Accuracy/Damage Boosts
– Undead Turning
– Buffs out the gills
– Ridiculous Synergy with Monk

Was NWN a relatively faithful implementation of the 3E ruleset on Clerics?
Yes, Clerics are amazing in 3(.5)e.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
ToB is in fact pretty bad as well as being linear but that's epic level DnD for ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

BadAstronaut posted:

Is all of Throne of Bhaal so dark and 'evil'? It seems to have switched entirely from the awesome high fantasy of BG1 and 2 into this nightmarish weird dark fantasy stuff, which isn't really as cool. (Based off less than 2 hours play so far)
yes apart from some utterly cringeworthy comedy skits (not a lie, those happen)