Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks guys. So how common are single-character runs? Is it even possible to do without min-maxing the hell out of the game? Would just setting the difficulty to the easiest setting be the equivalent of normal with a full party?

I pretty much only play one or two characters anymore, and some classes are easier than others but most are do able. Heck, I managed to solo a monk through the entire trilogy. For a fun solo game fighter/mage/thief is pretty much the most straight forward. Ranger/Cleric is also fun. If you have a really good handle on the magic system any mage or sorcerer is pretty fun.

For you first solo I recommend a half elf fighter/mage/thief. Jack up strength, constitution, dexterity, and intelligence. Use wisdom as your dump stat because even if you're going to turn off the xp cap potions of insight are common enough that there's no reason to raise wisdom. Try and keep charisma decent if you're going to do a full trilogy run for shop keepers in BG1. If you're starting with BG2 dump charisma too.(Then roll it over to 25 :v: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

The Iron Rose posted:

Wait wait wait what? Is this actually possible?

I don't know if it still works in ee, but you used to be able to equip the rod of terror with the ring of human influence. The ring will keep your charisma at 18 but the rod will reduce your actual stat. So if you start with a stat at 3 you would need to see 4 messages of attribute changes. Be careful, if you miscount and take it off when your stat is at 0, game over. But if the bug still works the 4th charisma modification will roll you over to 25. The beat way to do this was to just wail on a ko'ed troll.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Excelzior posted:

Confirmed this does not work in EE, rollover was removed. I now have a character who cannot ever remove his ring of human influence :(

I would just fix it with shadow keeper. It's just something funny that you could do if you wanted to break the game.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNvI4tEtzBQ

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Suspicious posted:

It's very good.

+5 bonus on saves vs. spells
Non-Detection
Immune to Magic Missile
100% Resistance to Electricity

Weird thing about the harper pin is that it's one of the few items in the game that's stat bound. Meaning a thief with uai cannot use it without 16 wisdom.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Single weapon is okay for backstabbers since it gives crits on 19/20. A backstabber is probably still better off dual wielding but single weapon isn't terrible, especially at low levels when dual wielding as a poo poo thac0 class is bad.

Sword/Shield has a minor amount of utility if you're a class that is only ever gonna get one attack/round anyways. I always use a shield on single class clerics since they're gonna lack the amount of attacks/prof points to be effective as meleers anyways.

I like shields in BG1 because arrows are such a death trap. A large shield +1/+4 vs. missile weapons is a solid choice through the end of the game. In BG2 dual wielding takes off and remains tops until the series finishes.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

BG2EE and BGEE are 75% off on steam right now. If you haven't picked them up they're pretty good. There's a few bugs in BG2EE, but they can be worked around with EE keeper. I feel the UI redesign is worth the price they're asking right now.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

pmchem posted:

What are the bugs?

The one Im thinking of is the slayer form only has one use.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Arivia posted:

Remove Fear, Hold Person, and Protection From Evil (but not protection from evil 10' radius.)

There's not much.

and dispel magic. Its important to note that the fifth level cleric spell true sight and the sixth level mage spell true seeing are not the same thing. Notably the cleric spell doesn't work on liches.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

There is a new player in here so I am gonna spoil this

End of Baldur's Gate 2, evil path questions:
DSimpson's guide claims that getting REAL REAL MAD in conversation with Sarevok can lead to an additional +1 Strength on top of the +2 from the Wrath test entirely. Can anybody corroborate this? Evil poo poo in general in this game is documented like rear end so it's hard to confirm whether or not I should redo all of Suldanesselar to make up for my lazy quick saving and get that sweet STR bonus.

I recall in the original game there was a bug that gave you an extra point of strength for that test. However, if youre playing EE I'm pretty sure it was fixed and you just get the +2.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

I am playing the EE. To confirm for myself or not...egghhhh :effort:

I'm nearly 100% sure it was fixed in EE. So just keep going.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

moot the hopple posted:

- The very modest level 2 spell Web is really great because it holds (i.e. paralyzes) rather than just prevents movement like Entangle. You can get two rings of Free Action early on that will let your tanks move freely through Web, and you'll find more than enough of those rings to kit out your entire party if you so chose. The difficulty in a lot of fights is in positioning, and having what is essentially a paralyzing field plopped in front of you is invaluable, plop two in the same place and most enemies running at you will likely fail their save before getting there. Web also works on undead, and there are a lot of obnoxious undead enemies you do not want to get close to you.

- Bards are the best healers with their War Chant of the Sith, which grants regeneration. Your divine casters just need to memorize a spare Heal or two for emergency in-combat healing, but the bard song can handle topping off your party after a rough fight, freeing up your clerics to memorize buffs and other spells besides healing.

- There's a helmet that only halflings or gnomes can wear that grants bonus AC. There's also a decent ax that you have a chance of finding early on in the tombs that grants AC. You don't have to make your tank a halfling or gnome, but throwing in some spare pips into axes can pay off for a tank (there's also a good returning throwing ax for when you want your tank to use a ranged weapons but don't want to switch out their shield).

- The best weapon for a paladin is a Large Sword. It's probably the best sword because it fucks up Evil aligned enemies, and most things are evil in game.

- Bows are the best ranged weapons, if your support members can use them then definitely throw a pip in there. There are at least two particularly nice high speed/extra attack bows so having two bowmen in your party can be cool. Crossbows are the second best selection because they have extra attack weapons as well, but don't have as many good ammunition options. Missile weapons are a bit poo poo because the best sling in the base game is still only a +1 weapon (+4 against giants).

- If you decide to make your druid a fighter-druid or just a frontliner, scimitars and spears are your main options. Just be aware that they have the least amount of weapons in game. In fact, you should save up money and buy the magical spear or scimitar from Conlan's smithy if you intend to use either of those weapons, otherwise it's going to be a long stretch with just a plain, unenchanted weapon before you find a good one. I chose spears for my druid because it's a reach weapon, but druid spells are so good that I used him as a caster most of the time.

The thing with Druids in IWD and IWD2 is that their wild shapes are pretty stellar. If you're going to make a druid/fighter tank I recommend wild shapes. Unlike in BG2 where turning into a fire elemental would mean you had to stop using your +5 gently caress you scimitar and your off hand scimitar of speed in IWD the weapons are more toned down most of the game and there's no dual wielding. That being said TotLM has maybe the most powerful sword in the Infinity engine games with the +4 long sword of action. It's a +4 long sword that grants an extra attack and gives 25% resistance to slashing and piercing weapons.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Sooo..... is the Ascension mod BG2:EE ready yet? Any news on that? I heard they have been working on it for a while now.

I'm pretty sure it's DOA. It's a shame, BG2 EE started out really strong with the UI upgrade and planned features, but as time goes on they're intent on losing any good will they generated.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

EE NPC's are easily the equivalent of any of the original NPC's. They aren't better, they aren't worse, they are the exact same in terms of quality. This makes them INFINITELY better than 100% of the fan made content in every possible way. The Dorn gay romance is terrible, yes, but then again so is the loving Aire romance and that poo poo was part of the original game.

Although I guess Cespenar is worse than anything a fan has ever made for Baldur's Gate by far. The original dev's are not infallible.

Honestly, and I expect to catch some poo poo for this, but I feel rassad is the best NPC in BG as far as motivations and personality. I really dig the angle they took with him of commuting increasingly greater sins against his faith for revenge. If there's a bad part about his arc its the dialogue they wrote for the PC in response.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Hughlander posted:

Thinking of doing a mage character across the two games and one thing I remember previously was that it was far easier to get a robe of the evil archmagi in bg1 than good. I think I had sold 2 evil before I even saw my first good. Is that the case in BG2? I was thinking of choosing my alignment just on that alone.

In BG2 the robe you want isn't alignment restricted.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

sweart gliwere posted:

I take it you're pretty new to this. Check your spellbooks for freedom-of-movement spells and (when you have some) cast them on your fighters. Web is nice because enemies can't attack your guys when they're caught. It's like a finicky repetitive hold person zone, as opposed to entangle (which stops them from walking, but still allows spells and attacks).

He probably won't have access to any freedom of movement spells at this point, but he should have some potions of it at this point in the game.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

Exactly. This is the first time I've played either of the Baldur's Gate games (I'm playing through both via the Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod). The fact that I've made it this far is thanks to looking at walkthroughs, maps, LPs, and a lot of dumb luck. Even at this point, though, I still feel like I'm flying blind. I don't know if the party I have is any good, if there are spells I should have or don't need, or if my party's equipment is appropriate. I could make a post detailing the party I have and their equipment and spells, but that would probably be a massive post.

I checked, and I don't have any freedom of movement potions, but I'll make a note to try to get some freedom of movement spells when I can.

Well, the spell is in the fourth level cleric and druid spell book so it'll be awhile before you get it. However, some potions are available to buy at high hedge. I recommend picking up as many as you can afford because they're so useful.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

High damage and versatility (via the different magic arrow types), a lot of attacks per round, and not needing to get into melee with nasty poo poo.

The biggest reason is they nerfed arrows heavily in BG2. In BG1 an arrow of fire would do 1d6 piercing and 1d6 fire, and acid would do 1d6 piercing and 2d6 acid. In BG2 the fire arrow is now 1d6 piercing and 1d2 fire while acid went to 1d6 piercing and 1d3 acid. On top of that the bow's enchantment bonus only applied to hit in BG2 so that +3 long bow would only give +3 to hit and none to damage. Long story short it's because they just can't produce the damage needed to kill stuff in late game BG2.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

I know it's not exactly IE, but is Temple of Elemental Evil worth playing? I just realized I bought it for like $1 during GOG's last winter sale.

Yes, very much so, but use this fan patch . It has two versions, bug fixes and new content. The bug fix version is pretty much mandatory to play the game at all, and the new content is actually pretty good. I recommend playing it through once with the bug fixes then if you want more add the new content.

Word of warning, the story and voice acting is just terrible, but the combat and item creation are balls out awesome.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Draile posted:

Hit him with a wand of paralysis and you can kill him before all of his bullshit scripting kicks in, so it doesn't matter what level you're at. He drops a robe of neutral archmagi, too, so you even get a reward! You'll take a reputation hit though.

Wands of paralysis are so hilariously broken in BG1. Its basically save at -2 or die.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

keiran_helcyan posted:

So very very true, good lord is Rasaad a boring and unfocused NPC. All he did in BG1 was ramble about his impressively cliche past and boring monk beliefs. In BG2 I honestly never figured out what his motivations were. Was he just pretending to join the weird heresy, or was he lying to himself and really sold on the heresy? Every time I had a dialogue with him I just got more confused what the hell he was actually thinking. And I don't mean that in the sense that he was a complex, conflicted personality, just that I don't think the writers had any clue what this character was supposed to represent.

Rasaad: "[CharName] are we really doing the right thing?"
1) Sun monks are the best
2) The boring heresy is awesome
3) Sarcastic quip

I really have to disagree Rasaad's motives in BG2 are pretty clear from the beginning. He wants to find the guy who killed his friend and commits a series of trespasses against his religion to do so. In the end he can choose to lead the cult with the rationalization that he can do more good for his goddess if he leads than if someone else does. I agree that Charname's responses to his actions are asinine, but I like Rasaad as an NPC a lot. They tried to give him some depth, did it work 100%? No, but it was a good effort.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

fong posted:

The problem with Rasaad is a problem with a lot of the writing style of the EEs in general. The PC's dialogue choices nearly always fall into one of three categories (good/sarcastic/evil), none of which make any real difference to the outcome of the NPC's quest or choices. It's not like with some of the original NPCs where the wrong dialogue choice can actually cause them to attack you, or can change their alignment and their future party interjections.

Yeah, I will say Rasaad's quest line really only works as intended if you take the good options in dialogue. Anything else and his actions lose any semblance rationality because the game refuses to alter course based on Charname's suggestions.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

:

-Buff!
-Sleep/command & web/entangle are your friend
-Two handers on your high strength tanks will eat people for breakfast

Great advice, one thing I'd add is be sure to check what spells attack what saving throw. In iwd2 there are three saving throws: will, reflex, and fortitude. Try and tailor the spell youre using to the enemy youre fighting. In general spell casters have bad reflex and fortitude saves but high will, brute force things like barbarians and giants have bad reflex and will but good fortitude, and agile monsters have good reflex and bad will and fortitude.

For this reason my MVP spell is chromatic orb, enemies have to make a reflex save or be hit with the nasty effect it deals. Later in the game a couple of them will lock down nearly any mage encounter. Like wise confusion or chaos will make any barbarian encounter a joke.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

LibbyM posted:

In Baldurs Gate 2 Enhanced: what stats should a sun soul monk be going for? It's not super clear. Does wisdom affect any of the special abilities?

Nope wisdom is useless. If you're min maxing 18 str/dex and 16 con. Pump the rest into intelligence.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Jastiger posted:

Ok so I just started IWD 2, and I want to know if I'm screwed myself or if I have a decent party.

Paladin
Fighter
Rogue (bows)
Cleric
Wizard
Monk

In the first game the Monk was a Ranger with bows, and the Rogue had daggers and was a constant liability. He would never get his backstabs and would always get owned as soon as he got into melee.

Should I switch out the Monk for another Ranger? Druid? Barbarian? Or will the Monk become a super high damage high speed damage dealer?

Also what levels will I be hitting in IWD 2?

The trick with iwd2 more divine casters is better than less. If you're wanting a fun party try a level of monk then go full druid. Use wild shapes for your primary damage later on, and beast claw will carry you well through the beginning. Try a level of rogue on your wizard for the find traps and locks duty, and consider replacing your rogue with a bard. For front liners try going one level of fighter then cleric. If you're dead set on a rogue try adding a level of fighter foe the feats. But the monk->druid is a really fun build, I recommend it. My last game wad 6 monk druids and it was the easiest run I've had.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Jastiger posted:

How does the multi classing work in IWD2? IF I have a level of rogue, how high can I get the find traps/pick locks ability? I find the mages are most powerful when they can go PURE WIZARD and get all of the spells that way instead of being restricted with armor types and the like.

Replacing with a bard sounds like fun though....can a bard find traps/pick locks?

Does a monk lose the monk abilities once they go full druid?

IWD2 is a totally different beast than any other infinity engine game. When a character multiclasses they keep all the abilities of the original class and you pick each class at each level up. For example, I could go one level fighter, two levels rogue, then back to fighter. An important thing to look out for is each races favored class. You get an exp penalty for multi classing in anything except for favored classes. That being said, regular humans have any for their favored class. For the Monk Druid that means they keep the wisdom bonus to ac, and that bonus sticks around in wild shape. So it's basically a free 5-6 ac. As far as the mage goes, you can put points into find traps, lockpicks, ect. as anyother class. The mage will have high intelligence so they'll get a lot of points to spend just make sure you have a high int. dex. mage. 18 int, 16 dex or so. And yeah, losing one level of caster sucks, but I find the versatility more useful than an extra level of spell casting usually. In the monk druid example, it's very conceivable to have 30+ ac at level 6. That makes them insane tanks.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

sweart gliwere posted:

I've never had the interest in doing an RPG romance, but really wish the game would function with Intel's integrated GPUs. The way people describe Dorn's romance thread is hilarious.

Hey Rookersh... We've been posting together in this thread for a while now. It's been nice to read your posts. Sure I'm a burly half-Orc and you're three feet tall, but - drat society's rules. You DTF after a quick wrestle?

I'm really surprised there's never been a romance mod to feature an actual JO crystal.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

sweart gliwere posted:

Now I'm imagining the most awkward possible modified version of "Lay on Hands"

M4M

Lookin for adventure bro to come and fill JO crystals. When fully charged they summon a carrion crawler, JO only no gay stuff.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

Rogues reroll stealth every round, if they fail they'll have a round to get out of LOS. Your first attack, successful or no, will immediately take you out of stealth, as will any manipulation of the environment (save trap removal or lockpicking, iirc). Backstab requires actually being at an enemy's back, and there are a lot of powerful enemy types who can't be backstabbed.

D&D rogues up until 4e are dogshit. A bard with knock is 1000x more useful in IWD2

The only neat thing about rogues in iwd2 is how sneak attack works. They can get sneak attacks on any enemy that lost its dexterity bonus. Meaning they can get sneak attacks on blind enemies or ones caught in web. If given a bow they can even get ranged sneak attacks if they're close enough. I still feel they're the weakest class, but if someone is dead set on using one they have a few neat tricks.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

I would have a single class mage and a fighter/thief. Getting haste and slow asap is a huge boon.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

I've actually never played Icewind Dale, though I have played and modded BG I and II to hell and back. What do I need to know before I start, and any particular party suggestions?

Far less caster supremacy. Grand mastery on weapons is extremely good so a pure class fighter is a pretty good choice. Druids rule, tons of good spells. Bards are great too. Really, necro's party looks pretty solid. At least 2 tanks, at least one divine caster at least one arcane caster, and at least one rogue. I played through about 3 months ago with a fighter, fighter cleric, fighter thief, mage, druid, and a bard. Have at least one of your fighters spec in long swords. There are tons of good ones.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Necroskowitz posted:

Multi-classing is for non-humans and basically gives you the best of both classes with the "tradeoff" that you will be about a level behind single class people. This is not much of a tradeoff because you're basically two or three characters mashed into one.

Dual classing is for humans. You start as one class and then some time later on in your career you switch to another. When you make the switch you lose out on most of the stuff from your first class and are effectively level one in your new class. When you outlevel your old class with your new one you get all your old stuff back in addition to your new stuff. Ideally you start out as a fighter or thief until you reach a certain milestone (X5 backstab, 3 attacks, etc.) then switch to a spellcasting class. The problem is that you will suck for a while until you outlevel your old stuff.

Basically dual-classing is for lame spergs that are fine with being lovely for half the game as long as they can be really powerful in time for the final battle whereas multi-classing is for sexy, cool people who want to enjoy themselves.

Hey now. Dual classing doesn't always mean sperging out. In the EE versions or iwd you can go 1 level fighter to get the sweet sweet grand mastery. In regular bg2 its not worth it unless you go at least level 7 or 9 fighter, but in the EE versions grand mastery gives a full attack, +5 damage, and +3 thac0.

In BG2 hitting level 7 or 9 is super easy though. Going Berserker druid is always really fun because druids level up super fast the first few levels.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Jabor posted:

"Imperfect graphics mean that a game is UNPLAYABLE" is a really weird position to take generally.

It's even weirder when you're talking about an over-a-decade-old game series.

Its also weird because the backgrounds in ice wind dale are beautiful.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

fong posted:

I've played through BG1 and 2 countless times but never got to either IWD games. I'm planning to go through IWD1 now with the following party:

Paladin
Fighter (dual to Cleric at level 3)
Mage
Bard
Fighter/Thief multiclass
Fighter (dual to Druid at level 3)

Couple of questions:
What weapons should I go for on the Fighter/Cleric? Since IWD does randomised drops I'm assuming it doesn't matter too much so long as they're usable after I dual class.
Is there a mage specialisation that is clearly better than the others like Conjurer in BG? I figure a specialist mage doesn't matter too much since I've got the Bard to cover anything the mage can't cast.

I have to agree with the people saying a multi druid is the way to go. Sucks losing the grand mastery, but druid offensive spells are really good so you won't lose out on too much. Plus it'll be nice having a healer the first 3 levels.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Ulvino posted:

Thanks, all of them look like good suggestions.

It's going to be hard to choose only 5 of them, I might have to rotate between a few to do some quests before settling for an endgame party.

I was considering Shar-Teel too, maybe dualing her to thief and using Imoen for a while.

I was also thinking about Rasaad (I know he sucks) bacause I haven't played his content yet.

Rassad's quest has a belt of hill giant strength in it. Totally worth doing even if you dont intend on keeping him.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Ulvino posted:

Got it, thanks everyone.

Now I only have to get out of this drat office...

Edit: ^^ It appears there is one Katana +1 in the Cloakwood mines. That's what my Mariachi Samurai hopes, at least.

Also, katanas are not subject to the iron crisis so even regular ones will not break.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Luisfe posted:

Should've posted about this earlier, but Gamersgate has the best deal for Infinity Engine games ever.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-DBAMC/dungeons-and-dragons-anthology-the-master-collection

All of them. For 4 bucks.
Plus Temple of Elemental Evil.

In terms of pure gaming hours to dollar ratio this is an incredible deal. If you dont own all of them you should buy that.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I know this isn't strictly speaking the right thread but I was wondering if I could get good party advice for Temple of Elemental Evil?

I was thinking a Paladin, Druid, Rogue, Cleric and Wizard which I know is rather cookie cutter but I'm not overly familiar with 3e rules like I am 2e and was wondering if there were better options and which classes, if any, should I multiclass in?

Looks good, consider giving your paladin long swords and making your cleric chaotic good with exotic weapon proficiency bastard sword. Also, there's a pretty good druid NPC available almost right out of the gate. Maybe make your druid into a sorcerer? None of my advice is needed in the least though, your party looks fine and will carry you through the game. One thing I will say is look through game banshee or game faqs for the walk through on hommlet quests. They suck, but finishing them all gives you an experience level and makes the moat house a lot more enjoyable.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

BG2 kits and spells are going to gently caress so hard with the encounter design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

I'm not upset, it's just going to be a lot easier and hilarious.