Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
I think of SCS as more of a fairness mod. It certainly makes things more difficult, but it does so in the ways that are open to the player. In fact there are some features that make the game easier. Like letting breach work on Liches and making demiliches 100% magic resistant instead of straight up immune to spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Smorgasbord posted:

It does make some early fights in BG1 a frustrating pain in the rear end though, good luck taking down the Ogre Mage at Firewine Bridge without Remove Magic/Detect Illusion etc which you probably won't have learned/definitely won't have memorised at the point most people get there.

It totally should not be used if it's your first play through, I agree. The spell system is extremely complicated and rushing into the game with an AI that's good at it would frustrate anybody,

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The luck song is good too because it modifies the rolls themselves. Meaning it doubles your critical hit range and prevents critical failures.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Rookersh posted:

Where is best companion Mazzy?

Isn't Mazzy to the right of Jaheira?

Ninja edit: I'm dumb, that's Imoen.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Metal Meltdown posted:

I'm playing through the enhanced edition of Icewind Dale on my iPad and it's pretty great. I beat the game and it's expansion back in the day and it's been a real blast revisiting the game now with the UI improvements and expanded character options. I've got two questions for the thread.

The first is what's a reasonable level to get in sense traps on my thief. I'd like to know when I can invest a bit more into lock picking and pickpocket. On that note, what are some good pickpocket targets?

My now third question is what's the opinion on the enhanced versions of the Baldurs Gate saga on the iPad? I never did end up finishing Throne of Bhaal and I think it would be fun to do a total run starting in one assuming all the saves line up and the port isn't terrible.

Getting find traps to 100 will let you find and disable all the traps in the game. As far as pick pocketing goes, everyone in kuldahar. You can get 2 rings of free action, an amulet of meta spell influence, a bunch of potions, and other cool stuff. Same goes for lonely wood. If they look important they probably have something good. And IWD free action rings own because they just prevent slows and holds, they don't prevent haste.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

Max wis, then int, then cha.

I think the optimal build if you want to get the most out of the story was Str 9, Dex 9, Con 9, Int 17, Wis 18, Cha 13. Raise Wis, Int and Cha in that order than ignore the physical stats.

Close it's 9/9/9/16/18/14. There's a 14 cha check fairly early. You really don't need to max cha. I think the highest check in the game is a 21.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

nah, they ripped everything off. jack vance, Tolkien and various mythologies. names, concepts, characters... it's all a big rip off.

I still love it tho :)

now dark sun, spelljammer, planescape etc. are some p. original stuff. but forgotten realms Is as vanilla as a fantasy setting can get. actually i guess that it's charm is that it basically has everything.

I don't like calling it vanilla. It's like chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry in a blender. Now Dragonlance. That's vanilla.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

A big difference between BG2 and IWD is that AC tanks are perfectly viable after being drat near useless in BG2. If you can get your AC to -12 or so there's very few enemies in the game that will reliably hit you.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

bunnielab posted:

Starting yet another BG2EE run and it seems like Keldorn's quest is bugged. When I enter his house for the first time nothing happens, it like starts the cut-scene but nothing happens and I have to quit out of the game. Anyone have an idea what is going on?

Also, why are all the good NCPs such little bitches? Other than Jan everyone of them is a huge whiny rear end in a top hat.

The alignment system is kinda weird in bioware's interpretation. Good or Neutral= kinda a sissy bitch. evil= pretty chill.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The big ones are the slayer change bug, bugs with hextat questline, and bugs with raasads tob content. Along with these there's assorted other bugs but those are the three most egregious. Its still playable and I still think the pros outweigh the cons.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Antignition posted:

Jaheira's harper call doesn't work either.

Oh, and there's also a "minor" bug where most NPC's HAVE NO PROFICIENCIES.

I still think it's hilarious that a bug that has a huge impact on the difficulty of the game is relatively unknown next to not being able to change into the slayer more than once.

Is this only on the Ipad? I just checked my guys and their no. attacks, thac0, and damage bonuses appear correctly.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

BG:EE has played nice with SCS so far... Are you saying that BG2 is broken with it? :(

I'm running through a game with everything enabled in SCS in BG2 and it's working perfectly.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Kubla Khan posted:

BG2 SoA was OK-ish. Had to tinker a bit with the mod because Breach wasn't working properly (made many caster fights VERY tedious and some unbeatable, like the improved beholder in the Underdark).

BG2 ToB... don't get me started. Unkillable improved Yaga-Shura, had to restart many, many times until it stopped glitching (you can't kill him there too fast, have to wait at a certain spot etc.). Unkillable improved Sendai, this one broke me finally. She was stuck at near death, with no way to end it. Googling made me see it was a common issue of EE + SCS with the only workarounds being so drat tedious (clue console, teleport yourself around and run scripts manually) that I decided it was time for me to quit given I've already beaten vanilla so many times and there were only a couple of good fights left.

Sucks you have the issues, but I would tell people to try it out themselves. I've had zero issues and I'm at the Ravager.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

If you're playing on the PC I can't recommend enough to just cheat a bag of holding in.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

I've just reached Dorn's Deep in Icewind Dale EE. As a percentage, how far through the game am I?

Assuming you mean upper Dorns Deep, about 2/3rds of the base game.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

It's not too bad if you play with the under powered kits. Something like shapeshifter, beastmaster, or wizard slayer. But some kits will wreck everything: An archer, kensai, or wild mage is hilariously broken. Oddly enough, inquisitors aren't nearly as good because of the lack of mages. I'd personally rather take an undead hunter or Cavalier.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Disco Infiva posted:

I'm currently playing IWN:EE and those Umber Hulks that ambush you to open up the way for Pale Justice wont show up. Was this changed or is it a bug?

Hmmm, I didn't notice on my play through. If you're on the PC you can always console your way up there if all else fails.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

J

Disco Infiva posted:

Thanks, will see if something pops up later regarding the sword.

It very well could be a bug though. I didn't have a paladin so I wasn't really looking for it.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I'm about to finish grad school, so I figured now is as good a time as any to give IE games yet another try. I've had a hard time getting into them before, but I feel more grognardy at this point in my life than ever before, so I may be in the right head space for it. I'm debating whether to play BG 1 before diving into BG 2, which I'm a bit more interested in. How do veterans feel about it?

Second, I can't find a link to the old "gently caress Baldur's Gate" thread. Anybody have it?

The big difference to me is that BG1 feels like a classic rpg, an ultima or something like that. There's no hand holding and they expect you to figure out what the hell you're supposed to do. BG2 could, maybe, be considered the first modern crpg. Companions have character and the game is structured with lots of bread crumbs. The down side is there's very little real feeling of exploring. Despite being the same engine and rule set they're two very different games.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

beergod posted:

Has anyone tried to get the widescreen mod to work with planescape on a retina screen? It boots to a black screen if I try to set it at anything less than 1600 x 900, which is still really hard to see.

I'm using a surface pro 3.

I play at 1600x900. HAve you tried the larger font mod? Ghostdog UI mod an 80% increase makes it very easy to read.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Kubla Khan posted:

The most annoying bug with EE in SoA was not being able to finish the Umar Witch quest. Perma-darkness didn't go away after his death also making the Ranger stronghold quest impossible to complete. There was also the bug with Breach not working properly as per SCS rules but that could be fixed by googling and installing a custom patch.

Are you playing on windows or Mac? Your experience with EE and SCS is totally different from mine.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Metal Meltdown posted:

I know the feeling. It was only on my recent playthroughs that I discovered the magic of the emotion spells and slow. My younger self just threw fire at guys until they stopped twitching.

Emotion is so good. It should be even better in the 1.3 patch because beholders no longer shoot rays when affected by it.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

fong posted:

The mage in there drops a stoneskin scroll (can't remember if this is EE or Tutu though, might only be tutu)

He drops one of the only cloud kill scrolls too. In BG1 that is a monster.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

Imoen romance.

You're a monster.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

You can reload if you run into a game stopping bug, but that's it. If Edwin gets gibbed he stays in pieces. You can, however, use any revival available in the game like raise dead or resurrection.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Pwnstar posted:

I feel like steamrolling through Icewind Dale: EE, what is the most absurd party for making GBS threads all over the game? I know Archers are ridiculous and I guess Dwarven Defender would be pretty amazing.

Bounty hunters are mean. The ole Berserker->druid at level 7. Half orc fighter cleric, sorceress, kensai->mage, the mentioned archer. A lot of the kits melt the game. If you want to break its face there are lots of ways to do it. Archer is still the most beastly though. Once you get your mage improved haste he'll be machine gunning 10 arrows per round.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

i wonder how they're gonna implement this bridge without loving up the balance. i mean, you can't basically level up more than once or twice or you'll be way overpowered in bg2.

I suspect they'll probably just do that. I can't imagine it being a full length game so a couple level ups will be about right. I'm interested in the new items. I've actually found some if the new items in the EE games being some of my favorite in the series.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Airfoil posted:

Oh, yeah. Level drain. I forgot all about you.

Walking back to a temple from Windspear Hills to fix this problem is kinda the opposite of fun.

The good news about 1.3 is that it auto fills your spell book when you get restoration. Level drain still sucks but EE is worth it for that one fix.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Mzbundifund posted:

So I have a question. Normally in BG2 I take my time in chapter 2, screw around, do lots of quests, and then go rescue Imoen after I'm late and buff, but this time I'm actually intending to keep her, so if I rush off to spellhold ASAP, am I going to lock myself out of any quests in the long term? Are there any quests and/or items that are ONLY available if you go after them before you get Imoen back?

Not a single thing. I usually do all the side quest stuff in chapter 6.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Excelzior posted:

this. part of the reason why a Berserker/druid dual is a ridiculously good option for a "tank" character.

Kensai/druid not so much, obviously.

Eh, they get barkskin and ironskin. Those two spells go a long way to mitigate the cons of a kensai. Barkskin is especially good because, unlike mage armor spells, it improves with level. I just wish it lasted longer, but what else are you going to memorize at 2nd level?

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

I am making progress through IWD2, just about to do the bridge fight. I have one Fighter class character in the party but I am not remembering weapon drops all that well....what would be a good not-a-sword weapon type to specialize in for the long term?

Axes! Theres a hilarious two handed throwing axe later and it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

I already found Haft over Head or whatever it is; the returning throwing axe that does blunt damage (which if I remember can actually be quite useful later on).

What is the two handed throwing axe you get? I definitely do not remember that.

It's a bit of random* loot during the lava bit of dragons eye.

*I think it's random.