Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

bathroom sounds posted:

Is there a lich in the first Baldur's Gate?

Yes, an incredibly dangerous one. You'll find him north of Beregost's temple. Be warned, if you don't give in to his demands his wrath is appalling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

JustJeff88 posted:

I remember that now, actually. Is it really possible to roll it, though, or does the game just say "18x6 = 108", here it is you cheating douche!"? The highest I've ever heard anyone say they rolled is 103.

It's somewhat random, so in theory it should be possible. I've never heard of it happening either though.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

bathroom sounds posted:

Sorcerer definitely seems like the most thematically appropriate class for the whole Spawn of Bhaal thing.

Assassin is more thematic, Bhaal being the god of murder and all.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Well you can start by recruiting companions, then not dismissing them. I like to plan out what companions I use in a given playthrough, so you can do that if it helps. Usually I have a roleplaying theme to what I do, but the character I played the most was a paladin who romanced Viconia so take that with a grain of salt.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

bike tory posted:

Doesn't Keldorn straight up murder Viconia if they're both in the party for too long?

He'll certainly try, and he'll probably succeed unless you step in.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

bike tory posted:

5e is pretty good though I think we can all agree.

Well goodbye thread, you were fun while you lasted...

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Anomen is a good cleric if you make sure he doesn't go chaotic neutral.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Archer is also good, though it gets less so in BG2. Still pretty solid all the way through though.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

H13 posted:

Alright, I'm out of practice and wizards are killing the gently caress out of me. I forget how much of a dick those halflings in the Planar sphere are!

The way I would deal with wizards in BG1 was to fire off a Magic Missile and interrupt whatever buffs the enemy was casting. I'd keep interrupting the douche until my meat shields had eaten THEIR meat shields and then send Minsc to cut the wizard in half.

In BG2 however, the wizards have sequencers so the moment they spot you, they have 2 or 3 protections up.
Then they'll use dimension door or something else so I can't target them with Breach.
And then they'll use Chaotic Commands so I lose control of my party.
And suddenly I'm reloading.

With all that in mind.

What are some good ways to stop wizards buffing themselves to the point of not-fuckwithable, and ruining their day before they ruin mine?

In BG2 they mostly use shadow door. They're invisible, but still probably in the same spot. Detect Invisibility or glitterdust should make them visible. Then you should be able to Breach away.

Chaotic commands prevents characters from being affected by mind altering spells like confusion. Use it if you think Chaos or confusion will be ised on your party.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I think rather than calling Salvatore's work fanfictiony, I would say that he narrates as if it is a D&D campaign. So really good descriptions of action but everything else is a bit thin and obvious.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I'm pretty sure you get to repick spells at the beginning of BG2, so there is no reason not to pick up sleep for BG1.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Swords are cool.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Bards are really good in BG, even with just a few levels in them. Blades are fantastic, but all bards are decent

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Songbearer posted:

"Together, friends!" yells Drizzt, as he stabs my dominated Jaheria in the face

Good for Drizzt.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Jolene posted:

I never knew you could stash stuff. Modern gaming sensibilities have imprinted a lack of persistent loot in my brain.

Well... loot isn't exactly persistent. Some containers won't despawn and others will. Good luck figuring out which is which!

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Skwirl posted:

I think EE made it so having over 100% fire resistance no longer heals you, but I've never done my gimmick run to test it (hello Club of Detonation).

Why would you change something so amazing?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

That's why you turn the AI off.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Even with the AI off, party members will usually retarget the nearest mob when the current one dies. They won't do this if there are no more enemies in their line of sight, but if all you are doing is attacking down trash, turning off the AI does exactly what you asked for.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Zeerust posted:

Turning off AI stops your party members from doing anything under their own initiative. They won't even respond to enemies engaging them in melee, let alone seeking new targets after they've killed one.

I assure you, I play with the AI off all the time, and my characters are constantly retargeting. If you order them to attack they will continue to attack all enemies in range of their currently equipped weapon from their current position until they are all dead. Once all enemies in range of their weapon are down you will have to manually retarget them.

Edit: Just to be clear, here is some raw footage from the LP I'm doing. I order my people to attack once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMMTZYqOYh0

sweet geek swag fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 30, 2019

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Randallteal posted:

BG isn't really made for it, but I think a semi-idle game where you manage a party of adventurers and watch them tackle dungeons (with speed up, obv.) sounds pretty cool. There are a couple games like that on phones, actually, but none with the mechanical complexity of an infinity engine game.

The game you are describing is Dungeon Siege. Except it didn't have speed up so... yeah.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Or you can do it later and everyone gets to enjoy your pain.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Songbearer posted:

Started IWD:EE since it was like three quid on sale and it's the only Infinity Engine game other than IWD2 I haven't played yet. Gotta say, I'm really enjoying it so far. After doing a marathon run of the Baldurs Gate trilogy it's kind of a nice change of pace to just have some no-frills mass slaughter and the characters and plot they do introduce aren't actually all that bad. It's obviously not going to replace BG but it's much better than I thought it would be.

One thing that confuses me is that I thought this game came out before Baldur's Gate 2, I'm kind of surprised because the spell effects look a lot nicer - surprised they didn't reuse them for the later games. Same goes for Planescape, I guess.

IWD2 won't be getting an EE but I do own it on GoG, is it worth playing once I'm through with this game? Will mods bring it up to standard?

IWD was made by Black Isle, Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 were made by Bioware. I assume that was the reason that Bioware didn't use the assets from IWD; they didn't own them.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Imoen is such a naturally cheerful person that Irenicus couldn't get her Bhaal essence to come out. So his answer was to torture her until she was depressed enough that he would be able to find and remove it. That is an actual thing he says in game. Irenicus is a complete monster.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

chaosapiant posted:

I don't think I ever noticed this line of dialogue. When does he state this? I knew he tortured her and found her divinity, but I thought his finding her divinity was by accident because torture is fun and Irenicus is perpetually bored.

Irenicus right before he sucks your soul out: Imoen is indeed a child of Bhaal. I suspect her innocent charm and humor suppressed the darkness. She showed no symptoms because there was no place for shadow in her spirit. I had to show her some very dark shadows indeed. It is unfortunate that it had to be done, but it was necessary to get what I needed.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

chaosapiant posted:

Does it state in the game how he learned of Imoen's divinity, or did he just sense it faintly from the get-go? I've played this game to death and still miss some details.

He never says exactly what tipped him off, it is implied that your similar circumstances with Imoen made him suspicious.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

A surfing dog?! posted:

I do plan on it, but I already told them it's going to be a while longer before that's ready since it's more open ended and I have to be ready for whichever thing they decide to do first.

Since they're both Bhaalspawn, I didn't include Imoen at all during the first part, but I'm considering having her with a different background and tagging along through Irenicus' dungeon after freeing them. I've also considered that there's a high chance that they'd just want to go after Irenicus because he's an rear end in a top hat, but I could use her as insurance. I'm probably going to have her die in Spellhold just as she was originally supposed to, but I'm not sure if it would make my players feel too lovely if they failed to rescue her like that. I normally don't have the NPCs around for more than a bit because my players prefer to be on their own, and I'm not sure where they might dump Imoen without having to drag her through all of the Underdark.

Have her get separated from the party when the githyanki attack, and have her join back up temporarily when you take down Bodhi.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

In TOB Imoen largely reverts to her original personality. It's important to realize that pretty much all of Imoen's dialogue from SoA takes place in Irenicus's dungeon. Of course she's all emo there, everything she sees reminds her of what happened to her. But I think her personality would revert to form fairly quickly once she's out of that situation.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

That limit is only to scribe the scrolls. You can cast them fine, you just have to use some Int enhancer to scribe them.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

A surfing dog?! posted:

I think happy-go-lucky Imoen is the way to go if I want to make the PCs care enough about her to rescue her. I've only got until the end of Irenicus' dungeon to do that rather than the entirety of BG1, but I think it'll be enough.

I have a very similar problem in the LP of BG1 I'm doing right now. I have an evil party, so Imoen doesn't really fit in, but I want her to be a part of any potential BG2 content I do. So I've had to be inventive in ways to get her into the narrative, even though she isn't in the party. One suggestion, you could use Irenicus' torture scenes to create flashbacks to Imoen in Candlekeep, then when she shows up to rescue them they have some vague idea of who she is. Then you can have Irenicus imply that he lured Imoen there intentionally.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

bike tory posted:

If you're doing an evil LP with narrative license why not have Imoen join up with Khalid and Jaheira after you boot her, and start her own adventuring party. They would tail you to the mines anyway since J+K had to investigate, then you could cross paths with them again at various points. Then in BG2 it would explain why Minsc and Jaheira were in Irenicus' dungeon.

Oh, it's a problem I solved. I kept Imoen through the Naskel mines, and she's currently in Beregost, but she's going to roam a bit, with the aid of the console.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

just_a_person posted:

Dang, I really was hoping there would be some easy fix by now, if only to play something like Assassin/Sorcerer. The very first time I played, I was a Mage/Thief, which was weak because I was so behind in levels compared to everyone else, but then ToB hit, and I had access the HLA from both classes, and at twice the rate compared to single class characters (maybe some bug?), and it made it so much more fun. Dual classing makes you miss out on the HLA from the original class.

As for the podcast, I have no idea, this is the first time I've been in this thread. I just started listening to the podcast to kill time on my commute and the stuff that happened in the podcast made me reminisce about the series. I cannot think of any other game series where I really felt true character progression, where a wolf could party wipe me to taking out armies of fire giants. I never played the Witcher series or the Mass Effect series, but I heard the character progression isn't the same (i.e., when you import your character, they loose their levels/progression).

To be fair, you could take levels from Mass Effect 2 to Mass Effect 3. But from Me1 to Me2 the whole game system was redesigned, so it didn't make any sense to do it. Each witcher game was redesigned as well. Baldur's Gate had the advantage of using a stable system (Ad&d 2nd edition) on an engine that was well adapted to it. Then they blew past level 20 and had to come up with some sort of new system which completely breaks the game.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I like alignments. As long as you handle them right, and realize a person isn't going to act in their alignment 100% of the time it's a useful way to demarcate a person's general worldview in a way that a game system can respond to. Also some of the most interesting stuff in D&D is the planar stuff, and that is all based around alignment.

Like I get for actually roleplaying it can be restrictive if your DM gets all stupid about it and insists you roleplay you alignment. But a good DM will let you roll with a good character concept and only use alignment as a mechanic as opposed to a straight jacket.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I thought they were all pretty good too. I think a lot of people hold vanilla bg1 and bg2 quests in too high of regard just because they're familiar

I didnt play the non ees very much so it's all the same

There's a very big difference in the writing quality in my opinion. It is not so much that I think that the EE writing is bad in all cases, but I think it's kind of bad at trying to be funny. Especially be evil funny. This comes out more in the PC's dialogue than in the NPC dialogue though.

I like the new NPCs, but they all definitely feel different from the original NPCs.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Entropy238 posted:

The voice acting in Neera's quest in BG2 is criminal.

Even at its best the voice acting in the EE's is lackluster, though I suspect that it was a direction problem more than anything. There's certainly nothing as good as Nalia's bastard rant.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Suspicious posted:

What bothers me the most about the new BG1 EE content is that the spoken lines sound like they've been recorded inside a tin can.

Oh and how you're forcibly dragged into the Neera recruitment fight without clicking on anyone and no matter what you say. That's really dumb.

This is no longer the case. They added an option to tell her to gently caress off.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

No the man completely surrounded in glowy lights is the best target.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Isn't there one in the ambush where you recruit Dorn?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Hexxat is really only evil cause she's a vampire. If she wasn't a vampire she could do most of the other things she does and be Neutral or something. She doesn't really fit with the evil party dynamic because she isn't really interested in doing anything evil.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Phlegmish posted:

Don't they introduce Hexxat in a scene where she coldly murders her slave, who you thought was her up until then? lol gently caress her I killed her immediately then and there

She only does it because she's trapped in the tomb otherwise. Everything Hexxat does, she does because someone else is forcing her to do it. Her own personal morality is pretty neutral, but she's forced to do some very bad stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

psudonym55 posted:

I vastly disagree. I think that is the way she likes to play it/wants it to appear. She's a very evil person who just wants you to think she's being forced into it.
She likes to play the victim but she's just as evil as the rest of the evil characters.
Claiming that her personal morality is pretty neutral completely ignores the fact that She's a serial killer who specifically targets only attractive women as her victims

This is actually really interesting, because I had no idea about this, but apparently it only comes out in banters between Hexxat and Aerie that Hexxat is sneaking out and killing innocents. So yeah, they kind of buried it, but Hexxat is a lot more sinister than I thought.