Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

So you have returned the PS4 at this point right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That is a fair point but $400 bucks is almost 1% of that $50K he needs in the next 2 years. Plus he said he traded in an xbox 360 as well. So he had a system already with probably plenty of games to replay.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I think a lot of people would like to see a real budget still. Not some weird I have $2K extra budget to blow/save. Breakdown what you have to pay on loans vs what you have to pay extra to meet your goals. What you need to save to get that house. What your actual net monthly pay is. And really some laid out goals about how to get where you want to go. Then people will actually be able to give you real help vs what is happening now.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

neaden posted:

He said he lives in Reno, I assume Nevada in which case it can get some bad storms but only get a couple feet of snow a year total.

21.5" average according to wiki.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I remodeled the entire upstairs of my house. 2 trips from Home Depot cost me $50 in the truck rental. Keeping a truck with a crazy interest rate that high for the prospect of hauling some lumber or yard trash for a house you might have in 2.5 years makes little sense.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That credit card sounds like a bad idea to me since you have to pay a yearly fee and you have to front the money locked away for 2 years as your limit. If you have a checking account with chase and it has direct deposit you can get a freedom card no questions asked. The limit will be low but that is really all you want. Use it a couple times a month and pay it off.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

$400 is good, if you had a $4000 return you could have so much more debt paid off and paid less interest during the year. You want your money, no reason to let the government hold on to it interest free. My goal at the end of the year is sub $100 return/owe in taxes.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Inept posted:

Why not just keep your wife's car and use it then? I don't remember if there was some issue with it. If the only difference was the APR, that's not going to matter if you can pay off the loan in under a year.

As for the lease, that sounds really high compared to the monthly rent. I thought the usual for breaking a lease was forfeiting the deposit. You might want to double-check that.

I never had a lease that wasn't at least the deposit and one months rent for leaving early. Seeing as he only has one more month to pay it really make no sense at this point. I also assume his new lease starts at the end of July anyways.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Knyteguy posted:

So... wife is pregnant.

You do know that doesn't just happen right?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

wintermuteCF posted:

Accidents happen. Condoms break, pills can fail. Unless one of them has their tubes tied or she has an IUD, it could have been a mistake.

This is just what people tell them selves. There is a short window each month and you can easily avoid it. I know people who use the temp method and no protection and have been baby free for years and years.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I wish you luck, I really do.

That said I think you are being crazy unrealistic about your saving and paying off debt. You have showed zero discipline.

I think you are falling for a trap of thinking/wanting to get out of the debt right now. It is going to be a slog and it is going to take years. Especially with the track record you have going.

Again good luck, I just don't see the discipline to make it happen.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^You retiring at 37... come on man. This will be an insane lifestyle change and income increase. A kid alone is estimated to cost about $250K to raise to 18.

Bugamol posted:

Also did you ever answer on whether or not you have collision insurance? Your insurance seems insanely cheap for a new car that is grossly underwater. I'm paying $108 a month for a 2012 Honda Fit that isn't underwater.

You probably are paying way too much.

$1300/year for full coverage in Denver ($500 deductible, $100,000 medical per person, etc) on a 2013 Ford Escape and 2014 Subaru Impreza.

I would go shop around.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 22, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You spent $24K the last 6 months. Even if you think you can get down to $3K a month (adding a baby!) that is $36000 a year.

$86000 with 65% savings = $30100 to pay your taxes, live on, buy your football bullshit, fishing poles, who knows what the hell else.

Oops... not enough money. You are so delusional, you just don't see it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Aagar posted:

And hahahahaha kids cost $75,000 over 21 years. Did you settle on the $1,000/mo daycare or the loss of your wife's income that is key to your Freedom-37 plan?

What? you can't just leave a 6 month old to fend for itself?!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The problem with all your goals and plans is you put no concreteness to them. You don't know if they are actually attainable. You just throw out that you could do this or that or it won't cost THAT much, but I haven't checked.

Your goals are not SMART! and they need to be.

Specific
Measurable
Achievable
Relevant (or Result Based)
Time Specific

They are just paint thrown on the wall...

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 22, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Veskit posted:

Wait....

SMART goals aren't something that my company uses as like corporate chat? Or is this post ironic. Or does my company have a good goal system :psyduck:

I have been using them since high school I suppose. I think it works because it actually sets the path in stone so to speak. It is how I ran a 5 min mile even. I think they work really well for finances (I think because they fit so well into the 5 parts). I think they even can work at work if you have the right people and bosses.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I think you need more categories or are missing some important ones (granted I don't remember all the details of what you have going on):

Home: Rent, Electric, Gas, Water, Trash, Cable/Internet, Home Supplies, Lawn/Garden, Cell Phone

Daily Living: Groceries, Personal Supplies (soap, TP, etc), Clothing, Alcohol, Eating Out, Salon/Barber

Transportation: Car Payment, Fuel, Parking, Repairs, License/Registration, Car Wash, Insurance

Health care: Out of pocket costs (not sure how you account for this, mine is off budget in an HSA that I don't track)

Loans: I don't know if you have any of these left or not

Business expenses: Broken down by whatever you need for your thing

Entertainment: Movies, Books, Sports, Her Spend, You Spend, any other thing you like to do (Or you just give each of you $100 and call it good...)

Pets: Food, Medical, toys, etc

Vacation: Flights, Food, Car Rental

The big thing you are not accounting for it seems is things that come up every 6 months or a year. You need to put away the money for those each month or oops, you don't have enough (pay day loans sound familiar?)

Even on stuff like household goods, you are going to put $0 this month but then you need $40 say next month. You can put $20 this month and then another $20 next month and be good.

Are your numbers and categories based on past spending? Did you analyze CC statements or are you using Mint?

I just feel like you are going to go 'yes $3000 saved' only to have a bunch of stuff you could have planned for and only save $500 next month or have to go into the negative.

I am also confused how you are paying 0 rent in August. If you pay August's in July you will pay September's in August right?

You have an aggressive plan, especially as your wife gets more and more pregnant (eats more, more doctors visits, needs new clothes, etc.). You have a plan though so you are at least on the path.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SiGmA_X posted:

Shower curtain, $10-12 for a nice fabric one (WASH IT BIWEEKLY, COLD) or $5-8 for a plastic one (WASH IT MONTHLY, COLD). Bed Bath & Beyond. You'll get a moving coupon from them, too.

I am pretty sure you can get 3 plastic ones for $1 at Dollar Tree.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Knyteguy posted:

Thanks for the Home Depot stuff Sigma I will post what happens. Glad to know their return policy is reasonable. I didn't realize you meant cloth liners; we'll have to check those out.

I don't think it's illegal here, but when I worked there we would do what we could if it was < 2/3 advertised speed or something. I think there's a problem somewhere because this is awful:

:asoiaf:

Our cable company is usually pretty decent, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

Didn't the FCC or some government agency just drop the hammer about speeds not being as advertise and letting companies know it is against the law and they can't be doing it? I thought I heard something on NPR about it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The reason people suggest the other way is of you are on a tight budget you will not have the funds of you don't save. People who spend all the money they make for example. And then you are back in the pay day loan cycle or going without insurance.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You bought a kindle two days into the month, riddle me surprised...

I will give you benefit of the doubt though and have faith you stay on budget, save a ton, and beat slow mo.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Pretty much ask the books you want to read are not free on prime though.

The library is the only way to go.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You should have more money taken out of your check starting now. If you owe too much you get to pay a penalty on top of what you owe... Yay.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Knyteguy posted:

By my napkin math last night we should be able to manage about $18,000 saved by the time the baby is here (going off months quite a bit more expensive than this month). That's not including the HSA. That's about 6 months worth of expenses. I'm not going to count on that but if we just stay buckled down and no big emergency happens we'll be alright.

The daycare we can probably get down to about $500.00-$750.00/wk ($1k/mo was a really really nice one with better equipment than the community college I went to) since we figured that we can rotate family to watch the baby once every 3 weeks, and my wife has a day off during the week. The net then would be closer to $650.00 plus insurance... but yes still not sure if it's worth it. We had a long discussion last night about ways she could get some passive income going in the interim, while I do the same. Moana's situation has inspired me to try to write a small book.

Most daycare doesn't work like this, you pay for the whole week even if you don't show up, sometimes you pay for the week you are not there but at a reduced rate (1/2 price or something). They want to make money so they can always find another child that will pay all the time.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Veskit posted:

Then why in gods name are you planning on things two years from now with children, doing this savings math, trying to plan your spending for next month, trying to spend more money this month and all of these things. You have an insane amount of help for future planning that you don't need to worry about until you fix your day to day life.

Or am I missing how to budget properly in thinking that really he needs to pull things back and budget for the now and let the net of goons carry him with some decent enough tools to have the savings, and make good decisions in the future?

No, you are right. Until he proves he can save in one month the rest is quite pointless.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The library will basically order you any book you want, just have to wait for it.

Still a long way to go this month... Long long way to go...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

A reward for saving money is spending money :psyduck:

The reward for saving money is having it for your kids expenses and your wife not working. Or it is used to pay that debt away. If you want to spend money on the shitastic Detroit lions just call it what it is.

As a lions fan my whole life there was nothing better than moving out of market and only having to watch them on thanksgiving.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My point is that you shouldn't reward yourself for saving. Plan expenses and call them what they are. Buying the package impacts your saving, only you can decide if that is OK.

I honestly don't have an issue with the purchase. I just don't want you to think every month, 'hey we saved $3000, let's get a new _____!'. All of a sudden you saved $2000 and had a 10x increase in blow money.

How I approach that $3000 saved is I look out a year and stash what I need to away for car insurance, ski passes, etc. Then I put the rest into debt repayment (student loans....).

Also I hope the lions make the playoffs, we always find a way to blow it though man.... Always

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Antifreeze Head posted:

Doesn't the NFL let radio stations keep their streams broadcasting the games? If you really need to experience the game live, do it that way.

Good enough for Grandpa, good enough for you.

The lions radio guys are pretty good too. I know they stream it through Sirius. I believe the NFL hasn't blocked online like mlb has because of mlb radio.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If I recall you can just go to 97.1 the ticket and listen.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Am I reading this right that you don't have any money left for food this month? And that you only get $121 for the two you a month?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Rurutia posted:

I'm sorry, but this is exactly what got you into a messier mess last time (altough the break was longer). Keep posting your expenses weekly and keep it accountable. Even if you have to suck it up and deal with a bit of trolling (or violent disagreement) isn't it worth keeping your finances at an even keel? It is very disheartening to see you say this.

Don't worry, he will get a newer car for $40k but only at a 6% rate!

I agree that leaving the thread is a bad idea. Accountability is keeping you on the right track.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yes he can easily add more money to any of those categories. But he will push his savings goal to the side. Save or spend that is the choice.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Very proud of you (still a few days left on the month though so don't go crazy!)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I say get the PS4 with the Destiny bundle. The thread will go nuts and I will enjoy reading it.

You really have to stop thinking about buying stuff though. Eventually you will snap and buy stuff. Change your mindset to enjoying your life for what you have and not that next thing you get making it great.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I can't believe you are posting during the lions game.

E: 97.1 the ticket works great on maybe a two minute delay.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 9, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Knyteguy posted:

I'm at work! I came in 10 minutes late so I'm staying 10 minutes late. Plus I have a 40 minute drive home. loving PST->EST difference.

Live feed on the radio

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Great game by the lie downs. 1-0 so far so good.

And stop spending so much money dude.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

OK transfer one month and you are a month ahead. Done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Grumble...

In your checking you should have all of next month's bills + discretionary (but not the savings goal that goes to the savings account at the end of the month. Say it is $3k bills, $1k savings per month. Put any other money in savings. There a month ahead.

Then this month say you make $4500. You spent the $3k on all your bills for this month so $3k goes back into checking for next month. $1k goes into savings as the savings goal. You $500 left over that you can pay down debt, add to savings, or blow.

Is it really that hard? Is this not what everyone does?

• Locked thread