Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Kilty Monroe posted:

I say go for it, that's a 57% return on your "investment". It frees up the credit card to be used as springy debt as well so it doesn't hit your ability to withstand an emergency as much, assuming they don't close your account once you pay it off.

If they are offering to knock $500+ off his balance for a full payment he is at the collections phase of this credit card's lifespan and will not be getting any further credit from them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Knyteguy posted:

$15.00 towards the baby fund.
$50.00 towards the emergency fund. (total $1052.91)
$200.00 for blow money $100.00 each. Total budget here is actually $225 for Netflix, Hulu, and something else small.

Do you not see the immediate, obvious, sad reality here?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Wait until after the baby is born. You don't know that there won't be more expenses than you're accounting for, and it'd be a lot better to have savings to cover that instead of a slightly smaller debt load. You can live with your car getting repo'd, but what if the hospital repo'd your baby!?!?!?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

You probably could have just sewed the buttons back onto the shorts but that's not 'throw money at it' so it's not a viable solution I guess.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

April posted:

You know what? Go ahead, buy the PS4. If you're going to act like a child, might as well have the toys.

:vince:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Side note: Moving house with an 8-month-pregnant wife is going to be a nightmare and I can direct you to my friends with a 6-week-old who did just that for further explanation.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I'm not going to harp on the pet stuff because that never goes well in BFC threads (as evidenced by the last few pages) but someone brought up a point and I want to follow up with a question.

Knyte: From Nov 2013 (the OP of this thread) to now, how much have you spent on your business, and how much have you earned from your business? Second, how much time have you spent on your business?

Another point:

Knyteguy posted:

Anyway before I digress too much I want to mention she put an offer on the table: if we can get out of debt, and also save $20,000 for a house, she will match us $20,000 :holy:. We have until the end of 2015, so 2 years.

I'm not sure how we'll do it yet, but I think if we really sacrifice we definitely can with some help. This is now dire for us; we're absolutely retarded if we lose a free $20,000.

Do you consider yourself any closer to this goal, now that nearly half of your time to achieve it has passed?

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 25, 2014

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Knyteguy posted:

So basically the point is (and Veskit you were a huge proponent of this), we don't need to plan 3 months ahead right now, and we don't need to plan 6 months ahead right now, and we especially don't need to plan to 10 months ahead to July when our lease is up. I think this rule should be a little softer than we were taking it though, like it's OK for us to start saving a house down payment. We'll stick to reevaluating our situation in 30 days, and maybe reevaluating again after another 30 days, ad infinitum until we're ready. No hurry is what I'm saying. Even with a baby on the way. I can even start some of the business in our lovely situation (which I've already done).

Everyone has been saying "don't plan ahead" because historically your version of planning ahead was something like "in three months I'll have $7,000 saved, so I can buy X now!". We are ALL on board with you saving for the future. We just don't want you counting chickens before they hatch.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

You forgot Part 2, "how much time". Because I'm willing to bet that the $150 in profit this year was not worth the time you spent. With a baby on the way you are going to have even less time to spend. Consider that deeply, because your time IS worth a lot. Can you work an extra hour a week at your day job and pull in a lot more than $150/yr extra? I'd bet yes. Can you spend an extra hour a week cleaning out your house and selling junk on Craigslist? I'd bet yes. I didn't realize that your "tiny" apartment is TWO bedrooms. That should be more than enough space for a couple. You have Too Much poo poo if you have an unusable room in your apartment.

Straight talk: A mobile BBQ startup for someone with minimal cash, a nice chunk of debt, and a newborn is a pie-in-the-sky Bad Idea. Go read the Doobie's Dog House thread or something. You remind me a lot of my dad, who always had 'business ideas' and preferred to work for himself than a 9-to-5. Something finally stuck (he owns an auto shop now, but he is rich by no means), but when I was a kid we were broke and it was really lovely a lot of the time. You've got a newborn coming. Stability is really really important. Mom & baby shouldn't be grilling on the side of the highway on nights and weekends.

I completely support entrepreneurship, I just think you're not even close to a safe place to try it. Keep the 9-to-5, kill your debt, stock up cash, and have a safety net in place for your family first.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 25, 2014

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Uncle Jam posted:

I wanna know the story on how you settled on a Harley Davidson rewards card, among all of the rewards cards on the planet.

Jesus loving christ. Knyte, please don't ever make any major decision without consulting the thread ever again. I know you're making steps in the right direction over the past few days, but a loving Harley Davidson rewards credit card? Nobody here would have given that even a slight hint of approval. You could have done better if you had stopped wanting it immediately and gave it time and educated yourself. The same with a lot of things you purchase and then change your mind about. This is probably just beating a dead horse but it's basically The Knyteguy Behavior Pattern.

I think it's been discussed, but have you thought about implementing some kind of mandatory cooldown for every purchase? A day for something that costs $10, a week for $100, a month for $1000? Something like that would probably put you in a lot better of a place and making much smarter purchases.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

slap me silly posted:

It matters not one whit what kind of secured credit card he has as long as it is from a real bank and the fees are somewhere in the range of zero to reasonable. Which he apparently researched exhaustively. Give the guy a break

He could have done better had he not done the same thing he historically does, which is decide he wants something and work to obtain it immediately. That's the point I'm making. 'The best at the time' is not 'the best'.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I was using the card as a prime example of a behavior pattern that Knyte needs to be cognizant of moving forward. Obviously he can't change the past, but he can learn that lesson and attempt to make behavioral changes to address it. My suggestion about spending cooldowns is what I was trying to discuss. The card is beating a dead horse.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Knyteguy posted:

Yes we do have a cooldown period. Have about 5 things written on our fridge (well on a notepad) that we've been adding to when we want something. A bigger food processor is on there for example. That's been on there about 3 weeks. Might pick one up this month, might not.

Awesome. Make sure you ask in the GWS Recommendations thread for a good one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The GWS wiki sucks. Read GWS itself, especially the "I'm poor and want good food" thread.

• Locked thread