Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I wonder if you'd spend as much time focused on your work as you do on all these random flights of fancy you seem so prone to, how much farther your career would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Veskit posted:

Honestly I don't think his work ethic is or has ever been in question regarding work.

Fair enough. I keep picturing him getting really sidetracked and distracted about [thing] on what seems like a weekly basis while at work. I could be and probably am wrong. Can't imagine where he gets the time.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Looks like I pulled a Knyteguy:

Not actually that bad since I'm getting a bunch back from the state but I have no idea why it's that bad. Presumably withholding not accounting for a bonus or something but I don't know.

How is everyone so bad at taxes on BFC? This poo poo ain't hard to figure out.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

^^In my experience, it's way more fun getting all the supplies together for a project and doing all the shopping and comparing and thinking than actually following through and finishing it.

Also, if you think eating ice cream for breakfast instead of just having protien powder with water or at the most, milk, will make you lose weight, you're gonna have a bad time. That ice cream's gonna call to you from the icebox and the next thing you know you'll be standing there with the door open, chowing down on that poo poo. Take it from a former (and still fairly) fat guy. The best solution is to not have that poo poo around at all.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Nur_Neerg posted:

For recipes specifically, gently caress printing. I find it way easier to just keep the ones I like enough to make more than once in a folder in gmail. Just email them to yourself, change the tag, voila. Recipes in your pocket!

I bookmark them on my phone. When I cook something I'll turn my display timeout to 10 minutes, lean it up against the wall behind the counter and then get crackin. Works great. My brazilian cheese bread recipe has lived on this phone since the week I bought it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

zamin posted:

The only way to deal with this is discipline. Hardcore, zealous discipline. Like with weight loss, you didn't dig yourself into a hole overnight, and you're not going to claw your way out overnight. You've gotta put in the work on a daily basis. One day at a time, for years. Unlike weight loss, one big financial event can easily set you back months or years, and you have to guard yourself against these as best you can.

Holy poo poo, I've been thinking about this for a long time and you're so right, I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees the discipline needed to lose chub is the same exact thing as the discipline needed to pay down debt. You're the best. :love:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Oh my god, I love the new title. I would pledge $100 to CAP in Houston for cattes, but I'm so hard up for money, that'd be part of my debt to chase. Knyte... don't gently caress it up.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Is your aussie shepherd spayed? My wife had a thought that the rancher is going to turn her into a puppy mill brood mare if she isn't.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I feel like the interview stuff in this thread is turning into a distraction from staying on budget for three months. I can't even fathom the idea of trying to change jobs right after having a child. It's just too much seriously life-changing poo poo all crammed into such a short time span. I don't know how you can sleep, knyteguy. All the stress of all this poo poo at once would have me in cold sweats at night.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Hey Knyte, can you lay out what you do at your job that gets you these interviews so fast? I have a CS degree and 4 years development experience and another 5 years of precision metrology experience and associated programming experience (CMM). I lost my position as a developer in FORTRAN doing high performance computing about 5 years ago now (because of the deepwater horizon blowout) and it's been a struggle ever since to find jobs in my field (computer science). I'm really curious what you do so I can do it too because I'm sick to loving death of working like a slave for $20.25/hour plus 1.5x overtime. Shop's cutting hours because oil is down. I need to get back into CS because I don't forsee ever making anywhere close to my old salary with this bullshit (precision machining/ebeam welding/CMM programming)

Last time I went out there, it was a LOOOOONG time between interviews and all with bullshit headhunters that never amounted to anything.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Iron Lung posted:

He posted his resume a few pages ago, he does frontend/full stack web development.

Oh, web dev. Why do the HPC guys always have to toil while 'easy' poo poo gets the money? :suicide: I was never as good as a full stack guy because of specializing in what I did :smith: I guess I should just hang myself with a crane at work.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I've worked 60's and weekends while my wife was a stay at home housewife with no hobbies and no friends and holy poo poo you don't want that trouble; being the only social contact. When my wife took up sewing and eventually got a retail job things got so much better just because she had an outlet and someone to talk to besides me. Echoing what the others have said, working over 55 hours a week for years on end is loving miserable, but the norm for machining, but it still wears you down. I can't imagine trying to raise a kid that way, but a lot of guys at work do it. A lot of their kids are real hellions getting into lots of trouble because they don't have a father figure at home shaping their personality for more than 30 minutes a day after work and commuting has taken all their energy.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

When I lived on Moffett Field in Sunnyvale, we'd take trips all over CA and by far the central valley was the worst part of CA. I can't imagine anyone wants to live there. At least the central coast by Arroyo Grande or San Luis Obispo are pretty and have some charm. The part of california that's not the coast, mammoth, or lake Tahoe pretty much looks like West Texas. Sequoia can come play too.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Jesus christ, all the get rich quick type of poo poo going on in this thread is so tiring.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

For all the job shopping out of state, why not Texas? You should already be used to the heat, CoL is fairly low, and the people are quite friendly. Try Austin or Houston. San Antonio would have a similar climate to Reno, and I believe rackspace is hiring like mad these days :) Dallas is also a very nice city.

My order for cities that are nice, in my opinion are: 1: Austin, 2: San Antonio, 3: Dallas, 4: This shithole (Houston) It's a muggy awful swamp.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Yeah man, gently caress paying for that. Let the landlord sort that poo poo out.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Knyteguy posted:

Huh I'll have to give this a try and see how long I can go for.

Look out world I'm coming for you.

gently caress man, I wish I could still get superpump 250 in blue raspberry. That stuff was the bomb. New superpump sucks balls so now I'm on N.O. explode.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Knyteguy posted:

Ah yeah N.O. Explode also, or at least it was the last time I used a pre-workout mix. NO Explode seems to get me itchy now though I'm not sure why. Even if I use like a half scoop. It's probably way past its shelf life I'll have to pick some up when I start doing strength training again.

Whenever I change pre-workout sups I get all itchy too. Going from superpump 250 to superpump max? Itchy. Trying Jack3D, Itchy, headache, neck locked up. NO explode? Itchy. It goes away after a couple of weeks. But seriously, don't use Jack3D, that poo poo hosed me up so bad I was having palpitations and angina in the gym off of just one scoop.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Does this Texas based company deal in oil, per chance? If so, that's the reason for the payroll freeze. We are all getting hosed down here by the cheap oil everyone else is enjoying.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

My first computer was a PC Junior and it had two sidecars. One was a RAM upgrade and the other was a parallel port for my okidata thermal transfer tractor feed printer.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

It's not like it was free money, just put it back where it came from. Not like I'm one to talk, I'm a loving moron with 'windfalls'. Don't do what I used to do and buy booze and drink it up.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Inept posted:

What the hell happened at the end of the Employee Assistance Program section?

Otherwise, congrats!

Looks like they left the lorem ipsum filler text in there. Real great QC they got there.

Grats KG.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm guessing KGWife is pregnant again and he's scared to tell us.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

There's a lot of us Automotive Insanity guys in here and we all want to know what you got. I'm willing to bet it's a luxury brand and that's why you're so cagey about it. Because you know when you say "it's a BMW :smuggo: " the thread will collectively poo poo a chicken. Also, there is no way in hell you'd be able to find a 95 911 turbo for $2000 that hasn't been wrapped around a tree.

E: I just found what you should have gotten for your roadside pit BBQ dream http://houston.craigslist.org/for/5160443360.html :v:
E2: :stare: 1995 Carrera c2 for $58,000 I knew boomers were buying up those things but JFC that's ridiculous for ~the last aircooled 911~

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 20, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

A camaro? Really? You already have one corolla, why not a 1995 corolla too? I mean the things are like cockroaches, they never die.I did something similar just recently. I remembered liking driving a whole lot when I had my first miata. I was in my mid-20's with no family and had a blast. I sold it and pined for that car again for 7 years. I got another one after selling a very practical hatchback. You know what happened? I had grown up and stopped giving a poo poo about driving something that can only be sporty. I missed the practicality of the hatchback because I'd grown and changed since my mid-20's. I ended up selling it for a subaru impreza hatchback and I couldn't be happier. It's a boring, gold econobox and it's perfect for where I am in my life. I get that you were trying to buck the life and responsibility you now have with this car, but really, it's just a car, you have to be the change you want to see in your life. Things don't change who you are.

My Dad has done something similar to your oculus purchase too. He wanted a really bitchin drone, then started thinking about business plans with it afterwards, to justify it. He makes a shitload of money and they own their house outright so my Mom and I tell him just to fly it and play with it instead of ruining a hobby by making it a business. For you, I doubt you'll want to spend 8-10 hours a day programming and then come home and do more with a screaming poo poo factory running around. I knew I wanted nothing to do with programming after coming home from work doing it. You wanted a toy for you, don't bullshit us.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 23, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Knyteguy posted:

Alternatively:

You guys tell me what to do with the car. I'm open to suggestions.

*Goons respond with sound advice*

*It does not validate the behavior you wish to pursue*

:qq: STOP MOCKING ME! :qq:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Your YNAB looks like mine (except you make twice what I do :negative: ) and I also have no idea what the gently caress is going on anymore in mine or yours. I really want to start over. I'm so confused with it because I have a ton of money in checking and YNAB says I have -18.50. I think I need to go back to the YNAB thread to figure out what the hell happened. At least you have discretionary categories. I haven't funded a 'fun money' category in months. Reductions in pay swing your priorities around like you wouldn't believe.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

You kinda dodged the question about the 'Maro, Janus Owl.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BossRighteous posted:

Why wouldn't this thread still be open? What is so hugely offensive about keeping it open? Who does the thread exist for at this point? I would think Knyteguy, and if so, the closing of the thread is his call. I doubt he opened it to validate peoples' armchair psychologists degrees.

I agree, I think it should stay open. All these dorks calling for blue story to get banned and her thread to move.. Look at it now. It's a bunch of boring humblebragging about the wonderful coq au vin or some poo poo now. This thread is like the last one left full of open hostility to the OP, aside from the houseboat thread. I vote this stays open.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

April posted:

Let's play Name That BFC Superstar!

Hint: It's not KG. But it's funny how all the failed OP's sound alike....

That has to be Zaurg or Slow Motion

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Horking Delight posted:

I really hope those "other things" are "paying down debt". How's your net worth looking? What's your "debt free" date now?

Look bro, the summit racing catalog ain't gonna buy itself. :mullet:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I've worked for a guy like that in the past. He was an egomaniac narcissist that could do no wrong and consistently yelled and tiraded around the office when even the most minor thing happened. A lot of fuckups were traced directly back to him and his lack of source code controls. He eventually stopped paying everyone in the office. At the first missed paycheck, I peaced out of there. He wanted me back so I wrote him a letter saying pay me what you owe me and I'll consider it. I found out later he stamped all around the office in a fit of rage after that. I sent Texas Workforce commission after him and I got my pay. His response email to my letter was pretty close to what you got. Bullet dodged dude, life's too short to work for assholes. Turns out he didn't pay some people for like six weeks 'because they have savings'. gently caress that guy.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

n8r posted:

Gas prices are low and you've got a fuel efficient car. I'd wager you will raise the money faster delivering pizzas.

How is a V8 'mero fuel efficient? Doesn't janus owl need the corolla for baby things?

Maybe race for pinks at the local drag strip?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Man, I hope that once May comes around he doesn't pull that 'well, in this economy...' bullshit that every boss likes to do when they want to hang onto money. He seems to be a pro at stringing you along, so I'm sure I just read your future.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Knowing KG thus far, wouldn't vaping be an easy way for him to just blow a shitload of money on different ones with different batteries and, "Oh this one is different, it has a roadside BBQ attached". It seems like vaping tends to attract those who tinker on poo poo and then it becomes a loot grind/gear treadmill. Kinda like computer parts :v:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

KG&geico is KG& the apartment lease break all over again. You need to make sure you cross your t's and dot your lower case j's with byzantine organizations, dude.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Maybe this time communicate with them and make sure everything is taken care of before dusting your hands of it and walking away assuming everything went to plan, Dr. Evil. I know you can do it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'd be on the phone with them right the gently caress now, not 'in a week'.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The real answer is: he never got insurance on the camaro in the first place and got pulled over for living his life a quarter mile at a time and now his nuts are in a vise to to the tune of....$792. Either that or he really is that inept at being a grown rear end adult and handling big boy stuff like insurance and registration.

God help you if you ever try to buy a house, you'd probably cry bitter tears the first year because 'look, the bank never said anything about a property tax escrow account and now I need to come up with $4000 or the state will put a lien on my home! How could this have happened :qq:'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Oh for gently caress's sake. You idiots are actually taking him up on his charity bullshit again? Remember the cats that didn't get spayed because he couldn't stop going to Olive Garden? Three loving weeks is too long for KG to stick to a budget, let alone 3 months. Even the thread title was changed. Christ you guys have short memories. He's already drafting up weasel-out clauses. You blew out your grocery budget the day before the challenge started and still couldn't stay away from Darden's Tasty Delights.

• Locked thread