Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ugggh, your vehicle loans are brutal. Have you brainstormed ways of changing that situation? Selling one of them and getting something cheaper; begging an old car off your family; refinancing a loan; it's worth exploring anything you can think of. Although maybe you already have. High rate car loans are harder to get rid of than they are to acquire in the first place.

Other than that, you do have a spending problem if you lost track of $1500 last month. Crazyfish has the answer, track everything really carefully for say Dec and January, and see what's going on. I will say, the $300 extra you did put toward the loans is huge and I hope you can keep it up. Run a calculation if you haven't, to see how much sooner you can be done with the loans by putting in extra money: https://origin.bankrate.com/calculators/auto/auto-loan-calculator.aspx

Congrats on dropping the ciggies by the way!

Oh, and don't make decisions based on how it affects your credit score, for fucks sake - your actual financial situation is infinitely more important. The credit score will take care of itself once you get your poo poo together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

$30,000 in debt
deadly afraid of losing my job

Knyteguy posted:

Playstation 4
splurge a bit on the 6 kids in the family
bass guitar and Rocksmith to the tune of $430
electric toothbrush for $100

These are not compatible sets of things. I hope you are realizing it. Did you buy the Wii U and 3DS today?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Your thinking is still really unrealistic. Look how as soon as you saved $300 over the next two years by dropping satellite radio you thought of something else you "need" to spend $600 on right now. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Meanwhile, real advice with numbers. Is the house thing y'all's highest priority? To accomplish it, you need to accumulate $50k in the next two years to pay off the debt and get the match from your grandma. Then you will have $30k for downpayment/closing costs plus $10k for cash savings post-purchase, so you'll be able to afford a $120k house (rough estimate).

To get there - that's going to be what, $1300/month above and beyond the loan payments? Where is this in your budget? You should be taking this off the top as soon as you get your checks so you don't spend it on other stuff. That's 25% of every single paycheck, assuming your income doesn't change. Make a separate account for this and don't take money back out for electric toothbrushes.

Since you are worried about job stability right now, you can just let this money build for six months instead of prepaying on the car loans right away. Or can you??

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

Regarding the house and the $1,300 extra: I think the numbers are close how we are now.

Maybe. If you've really gotten the hang of it, that account balance ($485 now) will be $1700+ after the new year and $3000 by February. I have thrown down the glove!! Good luck. Post here every time you are thinking about buying something so people can yell at you until you stop.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

Well I might use my budgeted spending cash to hit up Gamestop on Black Friday. They have a "must have" subscription service card for $30.00 (regularly $50 for a year). This will be the only Black Friday shopping we do. Since it's normally about $4 a month for the service and constantly gives away free games I think it's worth it.

I don't know how this works but $30-50/yr for free games sounds like a great way to get a lot of fun for cheap, to me. If the free ones are good. I agree it should come out of the Blow category for the month. Of course, their business model is to get you in with the cheap price and then make it really easy to buy a kickass new $30 game every month or two. It is a highly effective method which could multiply your cost by 10 easily - gotta gird your loins against that.

Good job bringing the mental Christmas budget from $1000 to $100. That is the difference between "completely stupid" and "completely reasonable". Stick to it.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Mister moneystache is a horse's rear end. The median salary for real estate agents is $40,000, and most make less than $50k in your area. Is she actually interested in the work? I'm pretty sure you need a good people face, some good hustle - is that her? If she has hustle, why hasn't she hustled her way further up the retail management ladder after 8 years? As you two are considering it, realize: the actual cost is not $500. The actual cost is $500, plus whatever she gives up of her current hours so she has time to work on real estate, plus possibly years of making less than now while training on the job, plus the risk that she'll realize she hates real estate after she quits her current position.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Woohoo! I'm glad to hear what you're up to in the employment direction. Real estate, dentistry, that's kind of pie in the sky type of stuff. I sure understand where that comes from (when I got frustrated with grad school I was going to switch to motorcycle repair, haha) but I'm guessing you'll have more immediate and useful success doing what you're doing now. Good luck.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

spwrozek posted:

This is just what people tell them selves. There is a short window each month and you can easily avoid it. I know people who use the temp method and no protection and have been baby free for years and years.

And I know people who get pregnant if somebody jacks off in the next room. Now what?

Good luck, knyteguy, keep truckin along and don't raise that kid in a squalid hellhole because you can't stay in control of your money.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Dude, you are not wealthy enough to spend $900/mo on optional expenses.

Not sure how the battle is going to go, neither of you seems to be able to tally up what your discretionary spending actually is in any given month

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

I don't even have much from that egregious spending. We bought some cool gear for hiking, walking, and running, but I wish we would've bought some stuff at our used sports store or something instead.

Yeah this is a killer. It's so easy to hop onto amazon or whatever and spend just a little money on whatever thing, and then realize 6 weeks later than you could've gotten one just as good for a quarter the price and you didn't really need it anyway and bye-bye one hundred dollars... FIGHT IT MAN

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

crockpot burritos
Made this this week out of chicken thighs and beans. Thanks to your thread by the way. Holy poo poo, delicious.

moana posted:

Sheryl Sandberg
... is the worst enemy of feminism. One, why the hell should you try to do it all? Two, why should you capitulate to the prevailing culture to do it?

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 14, 2014

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Yep. Go ahead and cut this poo poo out please.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I don't know that we have a rule about it in here per se but it makes me nervous and anyway it's kind of an unhelpful derail :v:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
KG, didn't you just cut your rent literally in half? Most of this other poo poo is small potatoes in comparison. Just keep being honest about your spending here so you get some perspective on when you might be crossing the line.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Oh, very well played. You're seeing it in action how all those little things you don't expect or don't realize add up to $FATBILLZ after a while. And you're paying attention. Keep at it.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfNajFYPljQ

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My opinion, everybody in here is overanalyzing everything and the main thing is to keep an eye on the bottom line - budget targets - and let people's comments remind you to slow down when you start to get over-enthusiastic about using your money. Just-next-month like people have been saying is a good timeframe to focus on.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

I'm worried that if I just put more in discretionary then I'll spend it thoughtlessly

This is how my mind works a lot of the time. Spending can be an emotional thing - you have to find the right balance between cajoling yourself into better behavior vs making yourself feel guilty all the time. While being constrained by your income. Feeling too guilty makes you blow stuff off and get even more off track. On the other hand setting unrealistic goals to avoid guilt results in spending too much too.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I like the way you're thinking about behaviors instead of goals. Yes, toxx the weekly spending reports or something if you feel you have to toxx something. That original toxx was kind of vague and dumb and probably another example of you getting all full of enthusiasm un-damped by reality. My opinion, do what's realistic because that is what is sustainable. If that means a ban, take the :10bux: out of your blow budget and re-reg right away so we can continue to verbally abuse you. I give you permission to put that on your new credit card :v:

So knowing what you know now, what do you think is a realistic target for September? For October? $100 is NOT enough, try again. Everything has changed in your life just recently, it's fine to go month to month on some of these goals while you figure it out and get calibrated. If anybody even thinks you are trying to weasel out of good financial behavior this thread will call you on the carpet double-quick.

Looks to me like everything is in budget except restaurant, right? If you're 40% over the month's restaurant budget in the first week - is this something you need to re-evaluate, either the budget or the behavior?

By the way that percentage column looks utterly useless. What's going on there?

Knyteguy posted:

What I think happens is like last month and July - we spent everything up front, and then we saved and saved and saved with little spending. Then we hit the beginning of the next month and it's like the faucet opens. We get a little bit of spending cash available and we've been austere on spending for two+ weeks so we go a little crazy.

This makes perfect sense. On the one hand it's great that you are starting to keep this behavior within your budget. On the other hand it's a habit that easily leads you back to where you were before, spending money as soon as you get it with no long-term thinking. So something to think about - how to set yourself up so the last 2 weeks of the month aren't so austere? But... staying within the budget of course.

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 8, 2014

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, eating out is loving expensive even when you're doing it on the cheap.

Knyteguy posted:

I'm trying to think of a way to do this with an additional savings account so we can perhaps "pay ourselves first", but our checking account interest is so appealing at 2.5%.
Forest / trees, yo. If you can improve your savings and spending habits even a little by moving money like this, the interest rate becomes irrelevant.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

Amazon emails, Newegg emails, etc.

Good lord man, turn these off. Easy way to reduce your splurge instinct right there.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The interest rate on a few thousand dollars of your money is the least of your worries. Forget interest rates and put the money where it will be safe and easy to keep track of. Reward checking accounts are a stupid game for fatwallet readers who are bored with basic stuff like not outspending their means.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

Bah talk about frustrating.

Your posts are really pretty incoherent and that is part of what's leading to your frustration. How about if you give us a legitimate picture of the last nine months, by computing your debt and cash balances as of the last day of every month and make a nice little plot. That info may or may not be in the thread somewhere but I sure can't be arsed to try to dig it out. Yet, those two numbers are the bottom line of how well you're doing over time.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

If anyone finds my posts incoherent then please speak up if you want clarification. I feel like my posts are long, but I usually address details to the t every single time someone asks about them.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586966&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=26#post434482158
I did! I am! This graph is actually a good example of what I meant about incoherent. Money in your checking account doesn't count when you're going to spend it on things. The checking balance is the wrong thing to look at, and from that info I have no idea what or how you're doing with your money. My other choice is to comb through a bunch of complicated spreadsheets with weird and changing rows and columns in them. I'm bringing this up because if you can't communicate clearly about your finances with a bunch of finance nerds on the internet, you're probably not seeing it too clearly yourself.

Put another way, I have no interest in the details. Your money, your hobbies, your life, your details. If you are accumulating money over time and spending reasonably relative to your resources, my opinion about what you buy isn't useful.

But is that the case? If I take the shape of that graph at face value, it says you had a real problem for the last half year and haven't been actually accumulating money for more than about a month. I.e., very good chance you still need some help being honest with yourself about your spending. When people sniff that, that's when they start riding you about your spending and pointing out when you prioritize the short term, like buying a PS4 instead of paying off the car faster like you said you wanted to back in May. Your priorities and choices are yours but don't kid yourself about the effect they have on your finances.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It isn't easy to balance short term and long term goals, and it isn't easy to have clear communication with your own wife about finances, never mind with the internet. Keep plugging away at it.

I agree with you that purchases are personal decisions. However, you have a history of undermining your long-term priorities (debt, house, kid) by overspending on your short-term priorities (vacation, PS4, car). Four months of decent success is awesome but it doesn't make that history irrelevant. So it might not be a bad idea to keep getting people's opinions about how to balance these things. By this point you know that the most drastic advice from here is often going to be overkill and you're not going to follow it. But you can still think about where it's coming from and apply that to what you're doing.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

Can I throw something out there? Suppose we switch financial shoes for a month, completely. You have my rent, my expenses, my debt. What would your budget look like? What would your savings look like for October?

If I'm reading right, you have:
pre:
Income
 4800    Combined checks

Fixed expenses
 1900    Rent etc
  700    Loan minimums

Assets:
 2700    Available cash (Would be more but $1000 now committed to vacation)
  500    HSA (has to be spent on baby/medical, right?)
  300    CC security (you can't access it)

Liabilities:
25000    Car loan at 11%
10000    Other loans at ~7%
By this you have $2700 in available cash, $35000 in debt, and about $2200/mo to do things with. Two things jump out to me as most important: you have a baby coming in March; and that 11% car loan is brutal. Between now and March accounting for slop and funtimes, you could get your cash savings up to $12-14k. So that is what I would do. The overriding reason would be to have some financial flexibility in the face of all the poo poo that will change when you have a baby around. Once you have some kind of handle on the baby (hah!), start paying down the car loan as fast as you can.

Are you asking how to make that happen? Your situation is a little complicated because of how the income is sprinkled around through the month. Sit down with a list of every check and every bill that will come in October, and the dates. Figure out what to do with every penny of the checks when they arrive. Some goes to bills, some goes to the checking account for groceries, some goes in an envelope for eating out, etc. When there's any left over, it goes into the savings account. Once the savings account has gone up by (say) $1800, do whatever you please with the rest. I use a separate account for the "rest" so I can carry it over month to month. But this is nothing people haven't been telling you already - I think you're not there because you keep spending money ahead of when you actually have it.

The vacation is an example. You are not using your October income for that. You are using the money out of your savings account and telling yourself you'll replenish it in October. Well, there's a good chance you might if nothing else comes up. But the way you're thinking about it is wrong. You need to see that as coming out of your savings, because it is.

(Oh hay, beaten by Veskit!)

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

wasting too much energy trying to micro-refine everything instead of just focusing more on the big picture, and it's causing us to spin our wheels.
Yeah, this is an easy trap to fall into with budgeting. There are really only three things you can do with money: buy something you need, buy something you want, or keep it for later. Every item in your budget falls under one of those. Any extra categories you spend time thinking about should be there to help you somehow. Like for me, I split the keep-it-for-later category into three savings accounts:

- Whatever the gently caress I might want to buy (~$100)
- Think about it a while first (~$1000)
- Don't touch it ever unless poo poo is hitting the fan (~$10000)

This keeps me from getting confused between my emergency fund and my vacation fund :)

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

1) A house with a garage, an office/private place, a dog door, and a nursery. All of this would be great so my wife's extended family could come visit down here, making her more happy in the process.
2) My wife staying at home and rearing the baby/picking up a professional skill when/if she has time. Or her getting a job outside of retail with normal hours and normal days off.
3) My commute within walking/biking distance.
4) Working towards saving a house down payment, with a nice emergency fund
5) Getting rid of the car debt one way or another.

Here's a thing about this list - #5 is getting in the way of all the others to the tune of a very large $510 per month for the next five years ($30000!), yet you've put it last.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yup, college money for the kid(s) is completely irrelevant right now. That's a luxury for people who have their financial poo poo together, which means it's going to be some years before Knyteguy needs to even think about it.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

I won't concede on this. I absolutely needed clothes for work. It would have been bad with money to do anything else. "Hey boss I know I look like a total slob. How's it going?" We probably won't spend a single dime next month on clothes because we never do. The sole purpose of an emergency fund is to fund such things.

New clothes are a foreseeable, budget-able expense that can usually be delayed for at least a month if you are paying attention. You said yourself you've been putting it off and putting it off, which means you knew it was coming. The emergency fund is really for when you lose your job, or your car's transmission explodes even though it's only 3 years old, or your baby gets RSV and you suddenly have a shitload of hospital bills - stuff you can't reasonably predict. It's not for replacing things that wear out every single year. The only reason clothes costs are an emergency now is because you've been neglecting the coming expense.

The reality is that you're not used to forecasting expenses over a long period of time. That is common and normal and makes a lot of sense. But in fact there are plenty of things that cost money every year, but not every month: clothes, car repairs, Christmas presents, travel, house repairs if you ever buy a house. None of those are really "emergency" expenses. Personally - well, take a look at my savings account post. If those kind of expenses exceed my free money for the month, I take the rest out of the discretionary savings accounts without ever touching the emergency account.

I don't really care about taking you to task or micromanaging your budget concepts. It's your (lack of) money after all. But maybe the perspective will help.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Dude, dogpiling in BFC is a feature, not a bug :cheeky: Your job is to decide how much credence you want to give it.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

Clothes were $150 included 2 pairs of shoes, 2 pairs of jeans, 2 shirts.
This is reasonable and judicious clothes-buying, and therefore:

Knyteguy posted:

What's the point in focusing on what I had to buy, instead of focusing on how to prepare for the same situation next time?
Yup

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Don't push the sewing thing too hard, lest you stoke the fires of temptation

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
"Get rid of your family pets so you can have more money". I love me some BFC

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
That's not true either though. The single best thing they can do right now for the kid's long-term benefit is to really get a handle on their spending+saving behavior. Getting rid of the pets wouldn't help with that, it would just give them more money to gently caress up with - just look at their struggle with the huge extra $$ they already got by moving to a cheaper place. Knyteguy doesn't have a patent on not seeing the forest for the trees

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
How does that add up? Like, costs + savings + discretionary should equal income but it doesn't. HSA is coming out before "Income" maybe?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Veskit posted:

Clothes aren't really savings. I'd call them discretionary. Someone may argue for or against, but I'd call it discretionary along with pets.

Getting into details here, but me, I would argue against. (1) Clothes wear out and (2) their cost is strongly affected by your employment. Therefore you need to budget/save for them accordingly. And pets are essentially a fixed cost here because it's really low on the list of things he is personally willing to re-budget.

loving hell, no more pet talk, sorry I mentioned it. NO MORE PET TALK, PEOPLE

Oh! Regarding the ins and outs, yes HSA is coming out before the "Income" number and I get it now.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You have a huge TV that you're not using? Jesus. You know what to do!

On the other hand, keep the bikes unless you can't stand it.

There are a lot of possible things going on with the AC before you start looking for mold in the ducts. You maybe just need to replace the filter. See if the condensate drain is blocked, too. Maybe the coils need to be cleaned.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have a statement closing date and a due date, and the credit card company had some little box that I checked at some point for "pay my bill in full from my bank account on the due date". The closing date is about a month before the due date. Read your statement more closely maybe :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It matters not one whit what kind of secured credit card he has as long as it is from a real bank and the fees are somewhere in the range of zero to reasonable. Which he apparently researched exhaustively. Give the guy a break

• Locked thread